17 Takeaways from Seattle's First Playoff Victory in a While

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
BuffaloHawk":1zshwj8i said:
ClippedBird":1zshwj8i said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Seattle brought its A-game today against one of the most decidedly uninspiring playoff participants of the last decade.

Really. Your write up is garbage. It took a cheap shot to win this game and with that only by 8 against our backup QB and a bunch of practice squad players. Uninspiring is the wrong word. The 2019 Philadelphia Eagles were far from uninspiring with all of the adversity they were presented with. Go Packers!

They were uninspiring. Never for one second thought the Eagles would win.

And oh yeah, Wilson career vs the Eagles- 5-0

Enjoy the off-season.
Carroll also 5-0 vs. Philly. Those grapes are causing a lot of puckering from being so sour.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":g74gltzg said:
ClippedBird":g74gltzg said:
Really. Your write up is garbage. It took a cheap shot to win this game and with that only by 8 against our backup QB and a bunch of practice squad players. Uninspiring is the wrong word. The 2019 Philadelphia Eagles were far from uninspiring with all of the adversity they were presented with. Go Packers!
Dude, we were even more injured on offense overall than you. Sure, Wentz went out, but he didn't do crap while he was in.
And was worse against us when we played last time, significantly so.

Chapow

Reaction score
ClippedBird":px9se801 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Seattle brought its A-game today against one of the most decidedly uninspiring playoff participants of the last decade.

It was the same result 6 weeks ago when your team had a healthy Wentz and Ertz. Hell, Wentz didn't even lead the offense to a TD until there were 20 seconds left in that game. What makes you think the result would have been different yesterday if Wentz hadn't gotten hurt?

Chapow

Reaction score
BASF":1m62w1bi said:
As far as using the quote option on the board, several of you on this post alone used the quote option for the entire post of the op when it was not necessary at all. Knock it off.

Agreed. No need to quote a 17 paragraph post just to say good post.

Also, great post Montana. Thank you.

Tamerlane

Reaction score
Superb summary! I am conflicted and uncertain still about point #4 but that's more of an offseason discussion. Otherwise I think I agree for the most part.

For those still complaining about 17 handoffs versus 36 dropbacks - puhleese. Abandoning the run entirely is foolish, even when it's rarely successful (but nevertheless did yield one of your two touchdowns as well as a couple good runs). As Carroll said afterwards, they didn't run "for sake of just running it". And they did not choose to run into Fletcher Cox's waiting arms either. Film reviews will likely analyze this soon, but preliminary analysis is that many of these "pointless runs up the gut" were schemed to the outside but the blocking was not there, so Homer was redirected inside by his reads.

This is the consequence of a decapitated run game missing your top three RBs, top two blocking TEs, and top three offensive linemen. The Seahawks will continue to keep defenses honest in the playoffs making efforts in the run game, even when it seems pointless to select fans, and thankfully will never model their offensive attack on such an imbalanced mode of attack that was forced by circumstances. Fortunately, the ever maligned offensive line, even manned by majority backups, held up remarkably well against a dangerous defensive line, credited with 0 sacks and 1 hit.

As for the point about Diggs, I really want to see a dedicated thread to collect some statistics and analysis of what Diggs has meant to the defense. I will try to assemble something.

All in all it's a minor miracle the Seahawks have made it this far, given their youth, schedule, injuries and ongoing rebuilding (in particular on the defensive line). Winning a second on the road at freezing Lambeau Field with a decapitated run game? A major miracle might be required.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ucz9jyo said:
Great write up Montana, not even sure you can see this since you put me on ignore :lol:
Anyway, the 3rd down efficiency in that game was HUGE. And it was 3rd and long after 3rd and long. When Russ and that offense is locked in like that, they are hard to beat.

I had to take everyone off ignore when I became a mod ;) So all is good.

I will say it's pretty rare, and very difficult, for a team to consistently convert 3rd and longs as a result of bad performance on 1st and 2nd down. It's hard to repeat and most of the time it leads to punts, which is what our last few games have looked like. Seattle will need to be able to make more hay in the run game next week, or on short passes on the first two downs.

D

DomeHawk

MontanaHawk05":15yi2sui said:
SoulfishHawk":15yi2sui said:
Great write up Montana, not even sure you can see this since you put me on ignore :lol:
Anyway, the 3rd down efficiency in that game was HUGE. And it was 3rd and long after 3rd and long. When Russ and that offense is locked in like that, they are hard to beat.

I had to take everyone off ignore when I became a mod ;) So all is good.

I will say it's pretty rare, and very difficult, for a team to consistently convert 3rd and longs as a result of bad performance on 1st and 2nd down. It's hard to repeat and most of the time it leads to punts, which is what our last few games have looked like. Seattle will need to be able to make more hay in the run game next week, or on short passes on the first two downs.

I agree and you cannot depend on converting 3rd downs, especially when you have been so bad at that.

Good drives are accomplished by converting on all downs percentage wise.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Solid piece of work Montana. Hope it precedes more of the same. If everyone agreed on every point no one would have much to say.

Agree Dome. We need positive yardage on first down and we've been struggling to get it running up the gut, which is exactly what the opposition is expecting us to do. Got to change things up if we want to change things up.

Good thread!

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Great post Montana; I too enjoyed Fade's ruminations, and was stunned when he left early. Also totally agree on the massive re-quoting of long posts in their entirety. That gets you figuratively sent to Rikers Island in a lot of forums.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, you absolutely can't live off of 3rd and long conversions. I'm just saying in that game on Sunday, that was the key to the win imo. They need to stop running in to a brick wall on 1st down. 3rd and 4 or 5 is one thing, but 3rd and 13 plus is another. Just a very low percentage to get those 1st downs on 3rd and long. Luckily, Russ was locked in big time.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
It wasn't calling run plays that bothered me. But I question running it inside when our interior line was not winning the battle. And if you still want to try those, why keep going with the smaller back for the most part?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is they're setting up GB on tape and Homer will throw in some cutbacks on up the gut plays that go for 15+

Edit: though Occam would suggest it's cuz of big mean DT's and a rookie 3rd down back wet behind the ears

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
On the defense, watching the highlight reel of the ravens, the commentators reported the first sack of earl thomas` career. There are scheme options that work and those that dont. Stu ting doesnt take the place of doing your job. Here's to the DL getting it done without pulling the secondary or the tertiary in.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk