Re-watched the Arizona game - thoughts and analysis

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Okay, so this New Year's Eve, I re-watched the Arizona Cardinals game from last Sunday, and a few things stood out to me in stark, glaring detail. I watched the game mainly to see Arizona's play, and in particular their offensive play, and more in particular, Josh Rosen's quarterback play.

Wow. He sucked like Mega Maid from Spaceballs! Terrible play. Horrible accuracy.

Of his 34 pass attempts, 18 of them were either very high, too high, or way too high. Eighteen! Only one was too low. 15 were on target. And I was pretty generous to him because several of his on-target throws were high, but I counted them as on target because they were clearly catchable because the receiver didn't have to go full extension and catch them with fingertips. Several of the too high passes were caught, but they were snagged with fingertips. To give it perspective, I counted Larry Fitzgerald's one-handed TD snag as an accurate ball.

Not only were over half of his passes overthrown, four of them were clear interception possibilities, two of them outright dropped interceptions. Four of those passes were basically thrown to the defense more than they were thrown to the offense. We could have had four interceptions in that game. Two easily. That would have changed the game immensely.

He also had two sack-fumbles in the game. Two. Both lost, which really helped overcome the ten points we flat out gave them on special teams. Coupled with a pair of drives that started inside our 30 yard line, he basically threw points away. The announcers said that hey, Arizona doesn't need a quarterback because Josh Rosen is their guy. Well, I certainly hope so because he was completely terrible. If not for special teams, dropped interceptions, awesome field position the whole game, and Larry Fitzgerald being Larry Fitzgerald and bailing him out repeatedly, it would have been a whole lot uglier for them. I also am convinced that Fitzgerald's 30-yard sideline catch that was ruled out of bounds even on the replay was a catch in bounds. Dude was in, and it was clear enough to me to overturn the ruling on the field.

We were absolutely dominating the game right up until about halfway through the second quarter. Around the 7:12 minute mark exactly, when the sequence of events went: sack -- blocked punt -- AZ score -- sack -- huge AZ punt return. We basically gave up all the momentum and points we'd gotten within a matter of minutes.

Wilson was also sacked six times out of the 14 third downs. And he would have had another sack-fumble for an AZ touchdown on a third down if not for a defensive holding call. Seriously, every single third down the offensive line looked like they were completely clueless and inept. Whiffing on blocks while Wilson was crushed by the defense. Blocking the wrong guy while Wilson was being pounded into the turf by the defense. Standing around watching as Wilson was smashed by the defense. Eating an ice cream cone while Wilson was flattened by the defense. Spreading a blanket out for a picnic while Wilson was being annihilated by the defense. Chasing butterflies while Wilson was smeared across the field by the defense. I mean, they looked absolutely horrific on almost every third down in the game.

I think everyone's favorite, Cable Thanos put it quite succinctly.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CableThanos_/status/1079493906973294592[/tweet]

In short, this was a game where everything went pear-shaped for the Seahawks and we still won. Their quarterback was horrible and we didn't capitalize on it at all. Wilson was clutch in the game winning drive as he always is. And we shoulda/woulda/coulda won easily. Hell, just having Posic stand in somebody's way instead of wandering around the field looking for butterflies would have taken a lot of drama out of the ending.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
3 things

One. Did you look at the game from the perspective of an Arizona fan? I know it is hard to do against the Seahawks as you are a fan of our team, but it can be accomplished. I am just curious.

Two. Did their receivers use the Gogogadjet fingertips on them catches? I have heard of them but never seen them.

Three. Did Pocic ever find the one butterfly for his collection that he was missing? I cant remember what it was, but on the pregame they mentioned an elusive somethingorother. Could have been the elusive offenseontheniners butterfly.

Happy New Year.

sutz

Reaction score
Most announcers I heard credited 18 points to the AZ special teams, directly and indirectly.

Credit to our D for keeping it close enough for Russ to do his 4th qtr magic.

Ruminator

Reaction score
We would have lost this game had it not been for the tenacious Carson/Davis duo.

I expect the OL will find their brains (Solari and Carroll will probably make sure they do) and play much better vs. Cowboys -- and of course, the return of Sweezy and Fluker will help, though I'm not sure how much Sweezy will play.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Our offensive line looked like last year's or the first 2 games of this year's.

I didn't need to re-watch to come to the conclusion that they were horrible.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":r2jyoufk said:
3 things

One. Did you look at the game from the perspective of an Arizona fan? I know it is hard to do against the Seahawks as you are a fan of our team, but it can be accomplished. I am just curious.

Two. Did their receivers use the Gogogadjet fingertips on them catches? I have heard of them but never seen them.

Three. Did Pocic ever find the one butterfly for his collection that he was missing? I cant remember what it was, but on the pregame they mentioned an elusive somethingorother. Could have been the elusive offenseontheniners butterfly.

Happy New Year.

One. Yes, I pretty much did. Didn't really make a point of it as I do sometimes, but yes. I can't do that live, but if I know we won, I can do it. And it was amazing how much suckage there was.

Two. I don't know. They had a lot of fingertip catches.

Three. If it required any skills similar to blocking, I am sure he did not.

sutz":r2jyoufk said:
Most announcers I heard credited 18 points to the AZ special teams, directly and indirectly.

Credit to our D for keeping it close enough for Russ to do his 4th qtr magic.

I don't remember these announcers crediting them with that many points, but I can see that. Special teams made a huge, huge difference in the game and the score. It wouldn't have been a close game if both special teams units performed about the same.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Thanks for the analysis. Would you say our defense "got lucky" in that on those off-target throws guys were open and a better QB would have found them or was the coverage still pretty good?

As for Pocic, I don't know the nuances of pass protection and schemes, but it blows my mind when he has a guy line up over him, and on the snap he totally ignores the guy and looks to the side and help double team. I know teams will line up guys on the line and then drop them out into coverage, but shouldn't a lineman at least have a look at the guy lined up across from him?

mistaowen

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2gdx3ypo said:
Thanks for the analysis. Would you say our defense "got lucky" in that on those off-target throws guys were open and a better QB would have found them or was the coverage still pretty good?

As for Pocic, I don't know the nuances of pass protection and schemes, but it blows my mind when he has a guy line up over him, and on the snap he totally ignores the guy and looks to the side and help double team. I know teams will line up guys on the line and then drop them out into coverage, but shouldn't a lineman at least have a look at the guy lined up across from him?

I noticed this a few times, Rosen left a lot of big plays on the field with awful throws, anything near the receiver was likely a big gain. Akeem King was targeted a ton once Shaq went out and he struggled. One troubling area I haven't seen on a Pete Carroll defense in a long time are these lapses in coverage. New guys showing some growing pains, got so used to the secondary knowing where to go and what everyone else was doing 99% of the time. So many times this year they've given up huge easy passes because no one was in the correct zone.

Pocic being versatile is nice but he is just so weak. He literally got hip tossed by a 100 pound lighter DB (probably should have been a flag since it happened after the play but c'mon man). I hope they can get some new guys who push him off the roster next year or at least push him to make him get better.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3r6ubfgv said:
Wilson was also sacked six times out of the 14 third downs. And he would have had another sack-fumble for an AZ touchdown on a third down if not for a defensive holding call. Seriously, every single third down the offensive line looked like they were completely clueless and inept. Whiffing on blocks while Wilson was crushed by the defense. Blocking the wrong guy while Wilson was being pounded into the turf by the defense. Standing around watching as Wilson was smashed by the defense. Eating an ice cream cone while Wilson was flattened by the defense. Spreading a blanket out for a picnic while Wilson was being annihilated by the defense. Chasing butterflies while Wilson was smeared across the field by the defense. I mean, they looked absolutely horrific on almost every third down in the game.

At least one sack had Mike Davis either whiffing his pass pro or confusing his job with the TE's, while Wilson held onto the ball for an eternity WITH a blitz in his line of sight. That was just one sack, though.

And I still do NOT like sending just three guys out on deep, deep routes while keeping extra guys in to block and providing NO hot routes. That happened on at least three of the sacks and I hate it.

But I can't defend the OL despite all that. Pocic in particular, I'm getting closer to being ready to see gone.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":34mk1iq3 said:

Regarding our defense getting "lucky", well, yes and no. I didn't think the coverage was horrible all the time, but there were throws where a better quarterback would have made big gains. But yeah, that's what the better quarterbacks do. There was also a lot of our defense getting "unlucky" because several of those throws should have been intercepted.

MontanaHawk05":34mk1iq3 said:
Seahawk Sailor":34mk1iq3 said:

At least one sack had Mike Davis either whiffing his pass pro or confusing his job with the TE's, while Wilson held onto the ball for an eternity WITH a blitz in his line of sight. That was just one sack, though.

And I still do NOT like sending just three guys out on deep, deep routes while keeping extra guys in to block and providing NO hot routes. That happened on at least three of the sacks and I hate it.

But I can't defend the OL despite all that. Pocic in particular, I'm getting closer to being ready to see gone.

If it's the sack I'm thinking of, Mike Davis looked like he had an assignment, but it was picked up by someone else who left Mike standing there wondering what to do. Mike might should have done a better job picking up another guy, but it didn't look like the missed assignment was his to me. His actions, to me, very much said "what the hell, man!?"

John63

Reaction score
The 3 negative things that stood out to me from this game are:

Oline
ST
Drops

The 3 positives and there where some are:

Lockett
Run game
Never say die attitude

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, 18 of their points are a direct result of special teams blunders. Meh, should have been a blow out, we won the game, don't care even a little bit how we win.
That being said, getting Fluke and Sweez back (hopefully both) will be huge. You could see a massive difference in that line on Sunday.