Unger and Breno out...

KINGGRUMPY

Reaction score
formido":20mjhka0 said:
If Unger is out, we will probably lose this game. Injured centers have a shockingly big effect on game play and outcomes.

Just play from the gun and hope none go over RW3's head. Let him shred that secondary.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The loss of Breno is more about the intimidation we will lose than it is the talent level. He gets into the head of the guys he goes against every week. A lot of times it causes the opponent to play sloppy and get stupid because they are so angry.

I doubt Bowie will have that same edge.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Kidhawk, you're right that I'm crazy, but I also know that the Seahawks Defense is crazy, as are their special teams. I have a feeling this will be an ugly game, much like Carolina was, but if the Hawks can gut out the road win who cares? It won't be pretty, and there will probably be a lot of "WTF Bevell" moments emanating from within all of us. However, the Defense is going to be hungry to erase their lackluster performance last week against Jacksonville from their collective memory. I think they'll bring it BIG TIME on Sunday.

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
Run blocking is typically easier assignments for inexperienced o-linemen on short notice. So I would expect a heavy does of the running game with read option, (look for Russell to keep/run more often). Then to alleviate pass pressure... quick bubble screens to Tate/Baldwin and swing passes to the tailbacks in the flat. Hope the Hawks D gets a few turnovers to provide the offense some short fields.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Russell was already going to be running for his life with Okung out, anyway.

Now he just has to run a little more.

This game is going to be ugly, but it's not over.

kidhawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":1x9qjq1s said:
Kidhawk, you're right that I'm crazy, but I also know that the Seahawks Defense is crazy, as are their special teams. I have a feeling this will be an ugly game, much like Carolina was, but if the Hawks can gut out the road win who cares? It won't be pretty, and there will probably be a lot of "WTF Bevell" moments emanating from within all of us. However, the Defense is going to be hungry to erase their lackluster performance last week against Jacksonville from their collective memory. I think they'll bring it BIG TIME on Sunday.

Don't get me wrong, I still absolutely believe our defense can win this game for us, but losing 3 starters on the OL, especially those three positions for the same game is tough for the offense to overcome and still look good. Not that we can't overcome it, but it will likely mean our offense not quite looking as good as we want them too. Right now I think our defense is good enough for us to win a game 3-0 and that field goal coming from a defensive interception in field goal range...I don't think our offense will be nearly that bad, but I think our defense can definitely be that good.

bellingerga

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":16hw3g5f said:
Yeah, I'm not freaking out about this despite my checkered past with o-line threads.

We have a scrambling QB and a top 3 RB. Just go get it done, fellas.

We have a top 12 RB according to this seasons stats which is all that matters. Our running game is falling off pretty hard this year.

With so many Oline injuries I expect that trend to continue and it has me worried. we're off to a great start but at some point these injuries are going to take thier toll and yes, they preach the next man up philosophy but at some point you get so many injuries that the "next man up" just isn't a very good player.

I hope we're not at that point yet but people shouldn't be shocked if things are real rough this week.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
McQ has had an extra week to get used to LT. LJP has been in our system for years and has held his own quite well when he's played. Bowie finally got some game reps and has the week to prepare.

Make no mistake, there will be a drop off, but I'm confident that it won't be catastrophic. In a sick way, after having two big victories in a row, I'm glad we now get to deal with some adversity.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
lukerguy":1tlikha0 said:
Um...link?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/on-the-airwav ... te-carroll

Also, for those worried, has our line play been stellar this year? If not, will it actually get worse or will having injured starters out actually help? Think about it; Unger can't hold onto D-lineman with a bad arm. Giacomini can't move well injured. It's actually possible Seattle gets better on the line. Seriously. At the least, they can probably maintain status quo.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I'll feel better when I see Sweazy or any of our other lineman cut block watt down a few times, as long as he is on the turf he can really get much done. Good thing we have what looks like a good stable of blocking TE so far.

Crizilla

Reaction score
pehawk":3snfjfsa said:
I'm not going to whine about the OL like everyone else.

Why not? It's a legit complaint. It's our only "weakness" and bad offensive line play doesn't bode well with any QB, especially RW.

davidonmi

Reaction score
breno being out could be a positive, and of course this game isn't over, I still stick with my 14-12 hawks win prediction. I think Cable might shock people here

Dtowers

Reaction score
Crizilla":3hd4gczp said:
pehawk":3hd4gczp said:
I'm not going to whine about the OL like everyone else.

Why not? It's a legit complaint. It's our only "weakness" and bad offensive line play doesn't bode well with any QB, especially RW.

I disagree Russell has done quite well behind this line even with it being a weakness last year and to start this year.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
If the Seahawks had a prototypical QB, they're protection would look better. He's drop 3 steps and fire a slant. That's just not his game. Also, Pete wants him to look for the big play, which means deeper drops, routes and processing time. And, this line is built to run first.

Or, nah, screw what I said. They suck.

Dtowers

Reaction score
pehawk":1d6y2p0q said:
If the Seahawks had a prototypical QB, they're protection would look better. He's drop 3 steps and fire a slant. That's just not his game. Also, Pete wants him to look for the big play, which means deeper drops, routes and processing time. And, this line is built to run first.

Despite you making me look like a fool with your sig I like your style.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
pehawk":rroz5wfg said:

I agree with this. Look, we start Giacomini at RT, and that dude OLEs more than his share of pass-rushers. He's a road-grader. That's our OL's specialty. If we can run the ball at, say, a 4.5-a-carry clip and then work in PA off a strong running game, it won't matter so much how good our line is at pass-blocking.

It's a tough assignment to run well against Houston's OL, but our passing game is based on running well and striking for big gains off PA anyway.

Someone did bring up the point that centers help QBs make calls at the line, so that might be an issue, but otherwise, I'm really not that worried, comparatively at least.