Twitter blowing up about Richard Sherman

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
BigMeach":7xzj7o2w said:
This is ridiculous. EVERY player is available for trade offers. If some team is going to come in and offer you a ridiculous amount of value vs. the players value of course it's looked at. Even JJ Watt would have offers heard about him if they were worth while. There is NO player in this league that cannot be traded for the right amount of value.

On the other hand, if the Seahawks are actively calling other teams to look for deals for Sherm, that is a different story altogether. But it sounds to me like this is just nonsensical reporting. You could say this about ANY player.

Yep. Sounds like a bunch of white noise made to generate clicks. But yeah, anyone is available at any time for the right price.

Sherm's "right price," I'd wager, is a couple of firsts at the very least, probably with some deal-sweeteners thrown in to boot. Probably not going to happen, but weird blockbuster trades have gone down before.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Bleacher Report and Twitter are garbage journalism. In fact, journalism in general is dead. Nothing but gossip and speculation. What happened to facts before stories? This ethic died in 2000. Sigh.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1ko30y4k said:
Sports Hernia":1ko30y4k said:
Nope, the OC with the same initials.

Ya, figured that out after the post. Well on that, I agree and disagree. I agree he is a problem and holds the team back. But disagree he is a cancer. A cancer is an infectious "sore" on the team that spreads throughout the locker room. IMO Bevell doesn't qualify for that, he is just an idiot, which in many ways means Pete is the real problem since he stands by him.
Or Pete knows he's the best option to run the offense of his team and entrusts him with that role. The supposition of these posts are as blatantly without merit as the original title of this thread.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":1de3vkyp said:
Pete Carroll to the Cleveland Browns for 2017/2018/2019 first round picks.
As a niner fan I can see why you want him gone. The Yorks don't OWN the Niners, Pete Carroll does. 8)

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
JTB":17wymdwc said:
I love Sherman the player but if NO offered pick 11 for him, the Seahawks would at least have to think about it. And not for his actions during the season but for simple economics.

His current deal runs through 2018 and I think it's a viable question pertaining to how many of the core Seahawks are going to be in line for 3rd contracts on the other side of 30. This may be the perfect time to sell high and get more draft capital in one that is pretty loaded on CB's that PC likes.

You can make the same argument for the other defensive core players. One or 2 may see 3rd contracts but not all of them will.

It would take more than the 11th pick to get him, I would hope.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
While everyone has their price, you don't trade a pro bowl corner unless you have someone waiting in the wings, someone who can step in right away and perform.

Not only do we NOT have a decent corner waiting, we have had problems getting our OTHER cornerbacks to play at a high level.

Yes the draft is rich in cornerbacks. But not every guy successfully makes the jump from college to pro, and few are able to do it immediately.

The only plausible scenario is trading Sherman for another starting corner AND a high draft pick. Good luck with that.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2epxxz70 said:
While everyone has their price, you don't trade a pro bowl corner unless you have someone waiting in the wings, someone who can step in right away and perform.

Not only do we NOT have a decent corner waiting, we have had problems getting our OTHER cornerbacks to play at a high level.

Yes the draft is rich in cornerbacks. But not every guy successfully makes the jump from college to pro, and few are able to do it immediately.

The only plausible scenario is trading Sherman for another starting corner AND a high draft pick. Good luck with that.
Great points! :2thumbs:

Seymour

Reaction score
Some people seem to be forgetting one thing. This is not just about trading Sherm for say 1 top 15 pick. It gains us $12M plus in cap to go buy some real olinemen who take too long to train, and cost us more seasons of futility. It is possible we are 1 superstar over the line to have a shot at a balanced team. If you net 1 excellent young DB, one good olineman, and some extra $$ left over to put in on other talent or extensions, this becomes much more than this guy for that guy. Patriots been doing this for years, and when done right CAN be a winning formula. If they want to go that direction, this is the year to do it at age 28 with 2 years left on contract.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":13qjsmjg said:
Some people seem to be forgetting one thing. This is not just about trading Sherm for say 1 top 15 pick. It gains us $12M plus in cap to go buy some real olinemen who take too long to train, and cost us more seasons of futility. It is possible we are 1 superstar over the line to have a shot at a balanced team. If you net 1 excellent young DB, one good olineman, and some extra $$ left over to put in on other talent or extensions, this becomes much more than this guy for that guy. Patriots been doing this for years, and when done right CAN be a winning formula. If they want to go that direction, this is the year to do it at age 28 with 2 years left on contract.

Shermans ability to lock down opposing #1 receivers, and the right half of the field, I'd argue is more valuable to the team's success than one or two O linemen. He single handedly saves this team at least 7-10 points per game by holding his own out there

Subzero717

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":32n2lf6y said:
Seymour":32n2lf6y said:
:177692:
It's also plausible that I will hit the Mega-Millions 100+ million dollar jackpot tomorrow too.
Remotely likely??? Nope!

Just a couple of goobers desperately begging for clicks.....
...and some wonder why I have a pretty strong dislike for sports reporters/sports bloggers/sports writers, generally speaking.

Condota is relying heavily on Lombardi's reporting as the basis for his line of thinking. On top of everything else that would have to line up for anything to actually happen, Lombradi's reasoning is that our salary cap situation is a mess which unless I missed something I don't think is close.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":81yxefmb said:
Seymour":81yxefmb said:
Sports Hernia":81yxefmb said:
Nope, the OC with the same initials.

Ya, figured that out after the post. Well on that, I agree and disagree. I agree he is a problem and holds the team back. But disagree he is a cancer. A cancer is an infectious "sore" on the team that spreads throughout the locker room. IMO Bevell doesn't qualify for that, he is just an idiot, which in many ways means Pete is the real problem since he stands by him.
Or Pete knows he's the best option to run the offense of his team and entrusts him with that role. The supposition of these posts are as blatantly without merit as the original title of this thread.

Sorry SH. I should have used the initials DB like you so this didn't show up in the search for Bevell this morning. Live and learn. :roll:

Seymour

Reaction score
Subzero717":w95e31c8 said:
Sports Hernia":w95e31c8 said:
Seymour":w95e31c8 said:
It's also plausible that I will hit the Mega-Millions 100+ million dollar jackpot tomorrow too.
Remotely likely??? Nope!

...and some wonder why I have a pretty strong dislike for sports reporters/sports bloggers/sports writers, generally speaking.

Condota is relying heavily on Lombardi's reporting as the basis for his line of thinking. On top of everything else that would have to line up for anything to actually happen, Lombradi's reasoning is that our salary cap situation is a mess which unless I missed something I don't think is close.

Depends on what you call "a mess". If your budget allows no $$ left for oline and forces you into rookies, UDFA, and castaways, then some may consider that a mess. Especially if it is clearly holding your team back, and forcing the D to stay on the field and wear down.

Hyak

Reaction score
Regardless of whether this happens (I doubt it will) this season or next, the Hawks are going to start seeing a transition of core players. Almost all of the defensive core on big contracts is coming up for 3rd deals within the next two seasons at the same time they are hitting the 30 year old mark.

I fully expect the Seahawks to try to load up on defense in this draft in preparation for that. They should.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Seymour":119vwcwi said:
Subzero717":119vwcwi said:
Sports Hernia":119vwcwi said:
Seymour":119vwcwi said:
Remotely likely??? Nope!

Depends on what you call "a mess". If your budget allows no $$ left for oline and forces you into rookies, UDFA, and castaways, then some may consider that a mess. Especially if it is clearly holding your team back, and forcing the D to stay on the field and wear down.

Whether you or I actually believe that (and I do to some dgree) doing it after FA makes very little sense as freeing up cap space now does nothing to help the line. This FO views things differently and while I don't agree 100% after this round of FA it is making more sense to do it the way they are.

Seymour

Reaction score
Subzero717":30adnm6z said:
Whether you or I actually believe that (and I do to some dgree) doing it after FA makes very little sense as freeing up cap space now does nothing to help the line. This FO views things differently and while I don't agree 100% after this round of FA it is making more sense to do it the way they are.

Agree the timing is odd. But it could also boil down to wanting to extend Britt and or Kam, and be in position to add future younger talent. Also I agree it's a risky and bold move with no certain replacement.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":13zmfi2v said:
Subzero717":13zmfi2v said:

Agree the timing is odd. But it could also boil down to wanting to extend Britt and or Kam, and be in position to add future younger talent. Also I agree it's a risky and bold move with no certain replacement.

I think the timing to consider here is that there was a story floated about trading Malcom Butler and someone expanded that to a "what if" about Sherman.

While I do agree that trading Sherman could benefit the club, I do not think this year is the one to do that.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3o357hhi said:
Seymour":3o357hhi said:
Subzero717":3o357hhi said:

I think the timing to consider here is that there was a story floated about trading Malcom Butler and someone expanded that to a "what if" about Sherman.

While I do agree that trading Sherman could benefit the club, I do not think this year is the one to do that.

It may not be the best year for Seattle because of lack of depth, but it is the better year for getting max value back. Trading him with just 1 year left drops his market value considerably since he could be 1 and done with new team.

Seymour

Reaction score
Would anyone take this?

Sherman for Joe Thomas plus a 2nd or 3rd?

We would gain about $4M of cap last I checked.