Toxic positivity and lack of leadership

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Toxic positivity, I heard a poster utter this phrase and it resonated with me. If you google toxic positivity what comes up is this "dismissing negative emotions and responding to distress with false reassurances". This phrase very much describes both Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson. Toxic positivity is a real thing and our organization has it in spades and it is what keeps us from moving forward. It is the inability to look inward at one's self and it is a lack of self-awareness, it is toxic environment to work in. I was once working for a company that was going under and our bosses tried to make it look like everything was all good. Every day we came in they were overly positive as we could see everything falling down around us, and lack of action taken on their part. Ultimately the company went under. It made working their miserable as you saw management turning a blind eye to the truth. People quit in droves, myself included.

This is the position we're in right now. We're also seeing this from our QB as well. Him trotting out there with his finger in that condition was a result of this mentality. The inability to analyse the situation and our coach empowered him to do so. Our team lacks discipline from the top all the way down. Positivity is an important asset but it also needs to be metered with some skepticism. Carroll and Wilson's lack of self-awareness is killing this team.

Now on Russell Wilson, he part of the problem. He has become a self-indulgent player that has become more obsessed with legacy than he is with winning the game. The two don't always go hand in hand. I get you have confidence in yourself, Wilson but overconfidence is also a weakness. If you were honest with yourself you wouldn't have gone out there and played. Wilson is also turning into reckless gunslinger over the last two years. He gets frustrated when those deep balls aren't there and keeps chucking the ball down the field. How many run plays is he audibling out of as well? This play style is self-indulgent and selfish. The rubber doesn't meet the road with big highlight plays, it meets the road with the small procedural stuff. Russell Wilson wants to skip the foreplay and go straight into the sports center highlight. It's no coincidence that our TOP improved under Geno Smith. I'm not insinuating that Geno is better than Russ, what i am insinuating is that Geno Smith knows when to take what he is given, Russell Wilson does not.

I'm frustrated right now, this game is a culmination of things I've seen over the years. We had a shot, and we blew it with hubris. I'm not sure Pete and Russ is a good relationship anymore. The two enable each other, they feed off of each other in a negative fashion. Russell really needs somebody to reign his tendencies in. We absolutely need a Mike Holmgren figure in his ear.

This team feels like a rudderless ship right now. It feels like both Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll are starting to lose the team. This Metcalf frustration isn't coming out of nowhere, and I'm sure others on the team feel it the same way. I feel like we're going to blow things up again like in the 2017 offseason where we fired Bevell, Cable and Richard, then let Sherman, Bennett, Sheldon Richardson and many others walk. I'm not convinced it'll lead to a good outcome though. Nothing will change unless the mentality changes.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
I generally prefer salmon or yellowtail sushi. Maybe eel if it's done right. And rolls. Gotta have good rolls. Dragon rolls are the best.

xray

Reaction score
I call it " the cracked and leaking glass is always half full " syndrome . I want to slap the stupid grins off those who are afflicted with this useless frame of mind . Stop with the lipstick on the pig nonsense . There are only winners and losers...there is nothing halfway about either .

djb28

Reaction score
Sounds like we need a menu section in the forum so all the hungry people can gather.

kf3339

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1ps1a9kv said:
Toxic positivity, I heard a poster utter this phrase and it resonated with me. If you google toxic positivity what comes up is this "dismissing negative emotions and responding to distress with false reassurances". This phrase very much describes both Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson. Toxic positivity is a real thing and our organization has it in spades and it is what keeps us from moving forward. It is the inability to look inward at one's self and it is a lack of self-awareness, it is toxic environment to work in. I was once working for a company that was going under and our bosses tried to make it look like everything was all good. Every day we came in they were overly positive as we could see everything falling down around us, and lack of action taken on their part. Ultimately the company went under. It made working their miserable as you saw management turning a blind eye to the truth. People quit in droves, myself included.

This is the position we're in right now. We're also seeing this from our QB as well. Him trotting out there with his finger in that condition was a result of this mentality. The inability to analyse the situation and our coach empowered him to do so. Our team lacks discipline from the top all the way down. Positivity is an important asset but it also needs to be metered with some skepticism. Carroll and Wilson's lack of self-awareness is killing this team.

Now on Russell Wilson, he part of the problem. He has become a self-indulgent player that has become more obsessed with legacy than he is with winning the game. The two don't always go hand in hand. I get you have confidence in yourself, Wilson but overconfidence is also a weakness. If you were honest with yourself you wouldn't have gone out there and played. Wilson is also turning into reckless gunslinger over the last two years. He gets frustrated when those deep balls aren't there and keeps chucking the ball down the field. How many run plays is he audibling out of as well? This play style is self-indulgent and selfish. The rubber doesn't meet the road with big highlight plays, it meets the road with the small procedural stuff. Russell Wilson wants to skip the foreplay and go straight into the sports center highlight. It's no coincidence that our TOP improved under Geno Smith. I'm not insinuating that Geno is better than Russ, what i am insinuating is that Geno Smith knows when to take what he is given, Russell Wilson does not.

I'm frustrated right now, this game is a culmination of things I've seen over the years. We had a shot, and we blew it with hubris. I'm not sure Pete and Russ is a good relationship anymore. The two enable each other, they feed off of each other in a negative fashion. Russell really needs somebody to reign his tendencies in. We absolutely need a Mike Holmgren figure in his ear.

This team feels like a rudderless ship right now. It feels like both Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll are starting to lose the team. This Metcalf frustration isn't coming out of nowhere, and I'm sure others on the team feel it the same way. I feel like we're going to blow things up again like in the 2017 offseason where we fired Bevell, Cable and Richard, then let Sherman, Bennett, Sheldon Richardson and many others walk. I'm not convinced it'll lead to a good outcome though. Nothing will change unless the mentality changes.

This is so very true, but it also starts at the very top with ownership.

kf3339

Reaction score
xray":1hnbdc8k said:
I call it " the cracked and leaking glass is always half full " syndrome . I want to slap the stupid grins off those who are afflicted with this useless frame of mind . Stop with the lipstick on the pig nonsense . There are only winners and losers...there is nothing halfway about either .

This bugs the s#$t out of me as well.

kf3339

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":1mmu6f70 said:
This board is also ripe with Toxic Positivity.

It's been this way for the last 5-6 years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think when teams lose fans grasp at straws as to why it's happening..........and this thread is an example of that.

This team has plenty of leadership. Brown, Wagner, Russell, Diggs, Lockett, Adams, and Pete.

Here are the top four reasons the Hawks are 3-6 this year

1. Lack of talent, especially on the D-line, DB and O-line
2. Injuries. Russell and Carson in particular
3. Lack of progressiveness in scheme and playcalling, because Pete refuses to change.
4. Poor drafting and player acquisition (can include this in #1, but it's specific to lack of picks and poor drafts coming home to roost)

ZagHawk

Reaction score
kf3339":1fl0kp4q said:
Seahawk_Dan":1fl0kp4q said:
This board is also ripe with Toxic Positivity.

It's been this way for the last 5-6 years.

Agreed. Like we get the team were bottom dwellers for a long time and this is a good place to be in comparison. But I dunno it's like upgrading from a 1980 Camry to 2020 Ferrari. People aren't saying the Ferrari sucks, but they are saying hey...the tires are starting to bald, I noticed the oil hasn't been changed in 20k miles and that spoiler is starting to vibrate. Maybe we should change the tires, give it an oil change and tighten down that spoiler, get the most out of this beast.

Meanwhile others are like ZOMG do you know how hard it is to find a Ferrari, damn you know how crappy our 1980 Camry was in comaprison? leave it alone, you all should be more appreciative of what you got. Don't worry this Ferrari is capable of going 0-60 in 3.6 seconds it did when we first got it, watch it'll do it again just wait you don't understand the mechanics of what's under the hood.

What's funny is i'm probably seen as a negative person here. But I'm actually quite positive in life because I'm very personally accountable for my life. If I don't like things, I do what I can about it and accept what until the different things I'm trying works. So yeah me being accountable as a fan of this team is voicing my opinions that there is a large part of this fanbase not happy with how things are going anymore (and have been going for some time). It could get to the point where I take accountability and just turn off the games, stop going and cancel my season tickets. That'll take some time.

Oh btw all the above, isn't a result of yesterday's game. I actually think yesterday's game was decent in regards to defense, Jamal finally got an INT, and hey RW was hurt. But he was rushed back because of the hole that this team dug itself into.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ZagHawk":zxn2mfb7 said:
But he was rushed back because of the hole that this team dug itself into.

It had nothing to do with our record. Russell rushed himself back because of his massive ego and no head coach to keep that in check.

Mr. Unlimited Nano Bubbles Finger Rehab'd 20 hrs a day pumping out produced Twitter rehab videos needed a head coach that could obviously see in practice that his finger wasn't healed enough to play well, and told him to sit another week or two.

But Russell's head coach is desperate to keep his job, so he allowed the player to dictate his own return. To the detriment of the team.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Headline on Seahawks site after first shutout in over a decade.

Seahawks Defense Shines In Loss To Packers

Not a single story about the dismal state of the team.

I'd say this supports Spin's theory.

Fade

Reaction score
I definitely can see this as something to point to, the way it looks now.

But ultimately, it boils down to vapid drafting for going on a decade, blowing copious amounts of cap space on JAGs throughout the years, a defensive coach that has his hand up the asses of his offensive coordinators putting on the worst damn puppet show known to mankind. And the topper, the great eraser, the one masking the clown-car show for years, the Franchise QB, finally got injured behind a bottom 10 offensive line that has never been built properly in a decade.

Change at the top is needed. The understatement of the year.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3nd40uft said:
ZagHawk":3nd40uft said:

It had nothing to do with our record. Russell rushed himself back because of his massive ego and no head coach to keep that in check.

Mr. Unlimited Nano Bubbles Finger Rehab'd 20 hrs a day pumping out produced Twitter rehab videos needed a head coach that could obviously see in practice that his finger wasn't healed enough to play well, and told him to sit another week or two.

But Russell's head coach is desperate to keep his job, so he allowed the player to dictate his own return. To the detriment of the team.

Never mind what the Dr said? never mind that Russ supposedly passed all of the pre game tests...

if your going to blame Carroll Blame him for NOT giving Russ some tough love. This issue with Russ forcing the ball into double coverage has been going on for the last two years and people on this board blame the scheme, they Blame Carroll, they blame the play calling...they Blame everybody other than what's really going on...

In this game i have NO PROBLEM with the play calling I have a problem with the decision making of our franchise QB...

and that's NOT putting Wilson down, as EVERY great QB goes through this... its just part of becoming a great QB His greatest strength is his greatest weakness he just needs to re find the balance of having enough confidence to thread the needle and when to check down,,, One of his biggest problems is that he trys to hard he wants to be great so bad that he is just floundering sometimes...

EDIT; Its really that friggin simple

LTH

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Tusc2000":3vjk99ou said:
I generally prefer salmon or yellowtail sushi. Maybe eel if it's done right. And rolls. Gotta have good rolls. Dragon rolls are the best.

I dont know about you, but I love these sarcastic ass food responses. I really does shed light on the nonsense as far as this site goes. Ecspecially a post basing off of google definitions.

xray

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":46bszpwx said:
ZagHawk":46bszpwx said:

!00%
The Mr. Unlimited alter ego might not have been a joke . Wilson is an egomaniac that needs an alter ego to help burden the awesomeness of being Russ.... :D

xray

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2nd8wtc2 said:
Tusc2000":2nd8wtc2 said:

I dont know about you, but I love these sarcastic ass food responses. I really does shed light on the nonsense as far as this site goes. Ecspecially a post basing off of google definitions.

Oh look ...a lurker's ' take ' on the contributing members responses on this site . Ass food & nonsense , it says .

Latest posts