Clint Hurtt = poor leadership

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Listen to this babbling buffoon try and explain what's wrong the the defense during this week's press conference.

He predictably throws his players under the bus within the first couple minutes, blaming D lineman for not getting off their blocks. He calls players selfish. He takes no accountability and basically says "I'm doing my job. It's not my fault."

Poor body language. Laughing throughout the press conference. Nothing is funny here coach Hurtt.

Instead of presenting ideas for how to correct this thing going forward, hes essentially throwing in the towel, blaming the tools he has to work with. That's not what a leader does!

Get this guy out of here!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We get it. You have a personal hatred of the guy for reasons other than performance.

He knows more about defense than you or I will ever forget, so let's keep that in mind when we're calling these guys buffoons.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Also, he's right. At some point, you do need to beat your damn guy one on one.

knownone

Reaction score
That's not what I took away from the interview.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
We get it. You have a personal hatred of the guy for reasons other than performance.

He knows more about defense than you or I will ever forget, so let's keep that in mind when we're calling these guys buffoons.
Hate? No I don't hate him. I don't like him coaching these guys when he's a terrible leader with a checkered past. That's what I don't like.

Yeah, our D lineman suck. Nobody is calling them world beaters. But to just throw them under the bus during a press conference without taking accountability? Poor leadership

James in PA

Reaction score
I think we're all feeling a little butt Hurtt about this defense. "The truth of matter is" (to use my favorite ME3 line) it's part coaching AND part talent (or lack thereof). One of the things that pisses me off most about this defense though -- and everybody has said it -- is their inability to shed blocks. I think that's probably more of a coaching issue, but what the hell do I know?

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
He’s not wrong about players not getting off blocks
Exactly. Hes spot on, but we all know that.

As a former D line coach, you'd think that would be something the defense would actually do well with.

It would be like if a QB coach gets promoted to OC, then slams his QB in a mid week press conference for not reading the defense. That's your responsibility as coach to make sure he's successful with doing that, and that's from your coaching background!

Drives me nuts

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm curious about what the relationship and functioning is with Hurtt and Desai. Too many cooks in the kitchen? Not enough?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm curious about what the relationship and functioning is with Hurtt and Desai. Too many cooks in the kitchen? Not enough?

Desai likes the predominantly two-gapping stuff too IIRC. Hurtt and Desai may not be philosophically opposed.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Desai likes the predominantly two-gapping stuff too IIRC. Hurtt and Desai may not be philosophically opposed.
Between Hurtt and Desai, if these two aren't able to coordinate a defense effectively, who would you rather be the defensive coordinator?

Btw I don't hate Hurtt. I hate his leadership. I just wanted to explain that. I value and respect you and your contributions to .Net

JPatera76

Reaction score
Between Hurtt and Desai, if these two aren't able to coordinate a defense effectively, who would you rather be the defensive coordinator?

Btw I don't hate Hurtt. I hate his leadership. I just wanted to explain that. I value and respect you and your contributions to .Net
Desai, the Bears defense didnt really dip below average and really did good. We've had issues with our Dline for a while... something this guy's been part of coaching as well.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

It's all good dawg. Just a mild disagreement.

Not even much of a disagreement. I don't think Hurtt should keep his job.

But neither should the majority of the players.

Fade

Reaction score
All I know is Hurtt has done an incredible job since he's gotten here. They just continue to develop and get better every year under his leadership and steady hand.

Have you seen all of the young D--Lineman he has developed over the years? That is why he got promoted to DC. With that track record, just imagine what he's gonna do with an entire defense over an extended period of time.

The future is bright!

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
All I know is Hurtt has done an incredible job since he's gotten here. They just continue to develop and get better every year under his leadership and steady hand.

Have you seen all of the young D--Lineman he has developed over the years? That is why he got promoted to DC. With that track record, just imagine what he's gonna do with an entire defense over an extended period of time.

The future is bright!
Lol

Ozzy

Reaction score
It’s crazy to me people will blame the DC but never the guy who’s in charge of not only the team but also player acquisition too and to do so is blasphemy. Success and failure is largely on Pete.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It’s crazy to me people will blame the DC but never the guy who’s in charge of not only the team but also player acquisition too and to do so is blasphemy. Success and failure is largely on Pete.

"In charge of" is a tricky term to use here. Assigning blame properly is tricky.

While, yes, he does technically have authority over these things - that doesn't mean he isn't delegating a significant portion of these decisions to others in the organization.

John makes most of the roster moves and scouting decisions in collaboration with Pete, for instance. This is well documented. Hell, Pete didn't even KNOW they had Metcalf until they were in the process of selecting him. He trusts dudes to do their jobs.

I mean, by this same logic, you could also be blaming Jody Allen or Bert Kolde for Clint Hurtt not doing well as DC (because they didnt block the hire), but it similarly doesn't track all the way logically.

I think we should blame Hurtt for most of this on the coaching end, because most of the scheme tracks with his background and is a significant departure from a lot of what Pete has done for decades.

Unless, of course, all that bluster about Pete releasing some control was actually hogwash for all these years and you all wished for something you didn't actually want.

Ozzy

Reaction score
"In charge of" is a tricky term to use here. Assigning blame properly is tricky.

While, yes, he does technically have authority over these things - that doesn't mean he isn't delegating a significant portion of these decisions to others in the organization.

John makes most of the roster moves and scouting decisions in collaboration with Pete, for instance. This is well documented. Hell, Pete didn't even KNOW they had Metcalf until they were in the process of selecting him. He trusts dudes to do their jobs.

I mean, by this same logic, you could also be blaming Jody Allen or Bert Kolde for Clint Hurtt not doing well as DC (because they didnt block the hire), but it similarly doesn't track all the way logically.

I think we should blame Hurtt for most of this on the coaching end, because most of the scheme tracks with his background and is a significant departure from a lot of what Pete has done for decades.

Unless, of course, all that bluster about Pete releasing some control was actually hogwash for all these years and you all wished for something you didn't actually want.
Good post even if I disagree with some of it. Now this could be BS but it seems to fit things I’ve seen….cowherd claims he has connections to a team scout guy who said multiple times Pete ignored the warnings from the scouting department and John to make some questionable picks(implying some of the bizarre early round picks) and that it pissed them off even though ad a person they love Pete. My theory is they’re right and last year Pete self evaluated and decided to give John more power to do his job and it led to a great draft. Again this could all be BS but I think it’s true.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It’s just hard to blame Clint when the defense is bad going on 5 years with two different DC’s. To not give Pete any blame seems odd

Latest posts