Tom Cable

Subzero717

Reaction score
RiverDog":jfu97mvn said:
northseahawk":jfu97mvn said:
Yet another horrible game from the oline and after the last few years of horrible play, is it time to criticize Cable as we do to Bevell??

I don't understand what these guys do in practice? Don't they practice against out dlineman? Shouldn't practicing against the fastest dline in the nfl actually help them in the pass rushing category?

what clearly seems like the worst pass-pro oline in the NFL, surely has to have a relation to the coaching and talent sensing deficiencies of Tom Cable.

Week after week, year after year, he puts the damn pathetic product on the field.

I agree. Our offensive line has sucked ever since Pete took over and has shown little if any improvement, at least in the passing game.

But it works. Over the past 3 years, we have an NFL best 36-12 regular season record, two SB appearances, and 1 Lombardi, so how can anyone complain about our overall strategy that would seem to assign a low priority to the offensive line?
Our O line has sucked since Hutch left.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1gmnntko said:

Depends on what you're talking about. Run blocking? Hawks are usually in the top 5 lines in run blocking every year.

Pass blocking? Yeah, horrible. Epicly horrible. But that's par for the course for Cable lines, but Pete knew that when he brought him in............thus Wilson playing QB and not a tradional drop back immobile passer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses for Friday night, that line was atrocious.............and if they block like that in week one, the Ram's front 7 is going to have 85 sacks.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
RiverDog":228likga said:
CALIHAWK1":228likga said:

Agreed. Didn't Tobeck and Mack Strong retire then, too?

Well lets bring Hutch back. Instead of sideline reporting or offering his insights over the air waves, lets bring him in as an offensive line coach assistant.

He is a one of the best guards to play the game (Hall of Famer)

Gives him a chance to mend fences in the community.

Used great technique when playing in particular pass blocking. He would help with that tremendously.

Very savvy and smart player.

Pay the man and lets bring him in........

justafan

Reaction score
I dont see cable in line for the HC position.I think he has shown throughout his career that he is a mediocre coach IMO.I dont think what he is doing is groundbreaking in anyway.

Alex Gibbs use lighter weight Olineman, He was a strict disciplinarian.Requiring weigh ins and no patience for sloppy play.His teams were tough and physical.This is one of Cables failings as I see it.The oline has shown a lack of discipline

He has a reputation as a tough guy for punching a coach half his size,he talks about wanting tough physical OL but his Olines dont play overly tough or physical.
Lynch is THE physical part of the offense.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35wme4ic said:
CALIHAWK1":35wme4ic said:

Depends on what you're talking about. Run blocking? Hawks are usually in the top 5 lines in run blocking every year.

Pass blocking? Yeah, horrible. Epicly horrible. But that's par for the course for Cable lines, but Pete knew that when he brought him in............thus Wilson playing QB and not a tradional drop back immobile passer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses for Friday night, that line was atrocious.............and if they block like that in week one, the Ram's front 7 is going to have 85 sacks.

IF they block like that the rams will have 85 sacks and we will be out of Qbs fast

Basis4day

Reaction score
Cable has said it can take a couple weeks to get his scheme working correctly. And by that he means each season.

My hope is that they stop tinkering with different players and different positions to get a single unit getting 1st team reps as soon as possible. As long as they keep shuffling players there is zero chance to solidify the line. And this is before injuries.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Basis4day":3hxd4651 said:
My hope is that they stop tinkering with different players and different positions to get a single unit getting 1st team reps as soon as possible. As long as they keep shuffling players there is zero chance to solidify the line. And this is before injuries.

That's what everyone wants, but the fact that there isn't a solid starting 5 tells us that players aren't stepping up to take command of the line positions.

Pete and Cable aren't just going to draw straws on a starting 5, guys have to earn the spots..........and as we saw Friday night, these guys are a LONG ways from earning the positions.

What surprised me is that the supposed locked positions like Britt and Sweezy looked like hot garbage. Those weren't suppose to be question marks.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3op7cv70 said:
Basis4day":3op7cv70 said:

That's what everyone wants, but the fact that there isn't a solid starting 5 tells us that players aren't stepping up to take command of the line positions.

Pete and Cable aren't just going to draw straws on a starting 5, guys have to earn the spots..........and as we saw Friday night, these guys are a LONG ways from earning the positions.

What surprised me is that the supposed locked positions like Britt and Sweezy looked like hot garbage. Those weren't suppose to be question marks.

I get that. But if there isn't a ton separating the different players then it's not like they're going to rotate o-lineman all year as if they were the D-Line because there all equally talented (Or awful). Eventually they need to make a choice on who the starters are.

I got the impression during camp that they were attempting to see where to play Glowinski, Poole and Sokoli long term and at the same time having a battle for center. It seemed like they were evaluating players as players rather than evaluating the starting line as a whole. If that makes sense.

I have a hard time believing it would have been as ugly if Okung, Baily, Lem, Sweezy and Britt had been getting all the reps. Even if a different player is better long term.

This goes against "Always Compete" and i understand that. For all the benefits of this mantra is is definitely one of the drawbacks.

Basis4day

Reaction score
And they're tinkering again. Britt at LG. Gillium at RT. Saw on Twitter from one of the beat writers.

Fade

Reaction score
Basis4day":b2e6ik0v said:
And they're tinkering again. Britt at LG. Gillium at RT. Saw on Twitter from one of the beat writers.

LT Okung
LG Britt
OC Nowak
RG Sweezy
RT Gilliam

probably Glowinski at RT inevitable before the end of the year.

It's good to see Cable making the necessary changes. Bailey was dreadful, Britt has no business being a starting RT at this stage. Lem was Lem, showing that he is a fringe starter / very good backup. Let's see Nowak for a whole half against KC.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Happypuppy":164x9pjj said:
hawknation2015":164x9pjj said:
I worry about the level of physicality on the line of scrimmage when both Bailey and Jeanpierre are playing at the same time. On the Christine Michael fumble, for example, Bailey made little attempt to block anyone.

Keaven Milton was a breath of fresh air when he entered the game. He didn’t do anything spectacular, but he played hard and physical and earned my respect. His athleticism, as a former TE, was obvious. And so was his physicality; he is not a weak sister. Milton and Nowak opened up a massive hole for Christine Michael on his one nice run.

Based on what I saw on Friday, the best five are Okung, Milton, Nowak, Sweezy, and Britt. The best reserve is Glowinski, who has enough power and athleticism to play inside or outside, followed by Gilliam, Lewis, Jeanpierre, and Bailey.

Yes I agree. I like the way you think it's what I see as well.

We should be able to expect to see Britt and Bailey look better at this point. Britt if anything looks like he has regressed. My expectations are higher each year.

Somehow some seem to forget that other DCs a across the NFL watching what we do and coming up with schemes against it. The game is not static. Doing the same thing year after year and expecting it to work is Foolish. They adapt we have to counter.

This is a good sign, IMO.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/633336502261387264[/tweet]

Overseasfan

Reaction score
You guys are overreacting. The Offensive Line isn't great but one mediocre pre-season game changed the expectations from definite Superbowl favorites to being as bad as the Titans.

Take a deep breath, realise the line is a work in progress and come regular season we'll have a presentable line. Then remember Wilson, our newly signed top of the shelf Franchise QB, has more options to throw to than last year by a fair margin. The starting guys Baldwin, Kearse and Luke Wilson are all still here but we've added Graham and Lockett, not to mention Matthews is also starting to look like a really promising talent who can put in a lot of work for us. And then I haven't even begun about our number 1 Defense still being there for the most part (Rubin and Williams are hardly downgrades from McDaniel and Maxwell).

We're going to have a great season, relax.

Fade

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3abeol8t said:
You guys are overreacting. The Offensive Line isn't great but one mediocre pre-season game changed the expectations from definite Superbowl favorites to being as bad as the Titans.

Take a deep breath, realise the line is a work in progress and come regular season we'll have a presentable line. Then remember Wilson, our newly signed top of the shelf Franchise QB, has more options to throw to than last year by a fair margin. The starting guys Baldwin, Kearse and Luke Wilson are all still here but we've added Graham and Lockett, not to mention Matthews is also starting to look like a really promising talent who can put in a lot of work for us. And then I haven't even begun about our number 1 Defense still being there for the most part (Rubin and Williams are hardly downgrades from McDaniel and Maxwell).

We're going to have a great season, relax.

Cable disagrees with you.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":m0qr8l63 said:

Bailey is a finesse LT, he is no LG that is for sure.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3tiwb1m1 said:
Fade":3tiwb1m1 said:
hawknation2015":3tiwb1m1 said:

:13:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/633337179108806657[/tweet]

Looking like they may have to dangle Sokoli, and hope he gets through to the Practice Squad.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Fade":37lb6h5k said:
hawknation2015":37lb6h5k said:
Fade":37lb6h5k said:
hawknation2015":37lb6h5k said:

:13:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/633337179108806657[/tweet]

Looking like they may have to dangle Sokoli, and hope he gets through to the Practice Squad.

The writing has been on the wall for that since the first week of training camp. He is just too raw and starting out as a center may have stunted his development because it was too much to learn.

It is fun to watch Sokoli move out there, even if he has no idea what he’s doing. They had him blocking on a kickoff return, and someone bounced off him like they had hit a brick wall. He is an athletic freak.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Basis4day":3db7qdqo said:
Sgt. Largent":3db7qdqo said:
Basis4day":3db7qdqo said:

I get that. But if there isn't a ton separating the different players then it's not like they're going to rotate o-lineman all year as if they were the D-Line because there all equally talented (Or awful). Eventually they need to make a choice on who the starters are.

I got the impression during camp that they were attempting to see where to play Glowinski, Poole and Sokoli long term and at the same time having a battle for center. It seemed like they were evaluating players as players rather than evaluating the starting line as a whole. If that makes sense.

I have a hard time believing it would have been as ugly if Okung, Baily, Lem, Sweezy and Britt had been getting all the reps. Even if a different player is better long term.

This goes against "Always Compete" and i understand that. For all the benefits of this mantra is is definitely one of the drawbacks.

They will, but as Pete said during one of his pressers last week, they're not there yet. In fact, he went on to say they're a ways off from making any sort of concrete decisions on multiple spots on the line.

It's still early, I'd say in 2-3 weeks the line will be set. If for no other reason than they HAVE to in order to get the continuity going.

I just wish we weren't playing the Rams in week one. Their front 7 is as nasty as it gets in the league. We have issues against them with Unger and Carp, it might get ugly.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":270uqxk4 said:
The writing has been on the wall for that since the first week of training camp. He is just too raw and starting out as a center may have stunted his development because it was too much to learn.

It is fun to watch Sokoli move out there, even if he has no idea what he’s doing. They had him blocking on a kickoff return, and someone bounced off him like they had hit a brick wall. He is an athletic freak.

Right, but there was that part of TC where he was getting 1st team reps (I know they were just seeing what they had), I was hoping he showed enough with that chance to be a 2nd teamer going forward. He needs reps. 3rd teamers don't get many.

Latest posts