Tom Cable

RiverDog

Reaction score
justafan":13mlm6ld said:
I dont see cable in line for the HC position.I think he has shown throughout his career that he is a mediocre coach IMO.I dont think what he is doing is groundbreaking in anyway.

Alex Gibbs use lighter weight Olineman, He was a strict disciplinarian.Requiring weigh ins and no patience for sloppy play.His teams were tough and physical.This is one of Cables failings as I see it.The oline has shown a lack of discipline

He has a reputation as a tough guy for punching a coach half his size,he talks about wanting tough physical OL but his Olines dont play overly tough or physical.
Lynch is THE physical part of the offense.

I'm luke warm about Tom Cable. He's done a fair job and I am by no means calling for his head. But he ought to have his head examined if he was the guy in our brain trust that thought James Carpenter had what it takes to be an NFL offensive tackle.

And as you state, our OL is undisciplined, as shown by the number of false starts we get hit with. There's no excuse for that. Pete's teams are notoriously heavily penalized in general, but the OL gets a disproportionate number of them.

sam1313

Reaction score
Hawkblogger did a good article on this today: [urlTargetBlank] http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dhabB?utm_ ... e-seahawks [/urlTargetBlank]

I thought his chart showing Cable has never coached an OL that was higher than 25th in the league in sack percentage said a lot about our prospects for good pass blocking this or any other year.

I would love to be wrong, however, and I think the new switch moving Britt to LG and Gilliam to RT may work very well.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sam1313":scl86vxv said:
Hawkblogger did a good article on this today: [urlTargetBlank] http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dhabB?utm_ ... e-seahawks [/urlTargetBlank]

I thought his chart showing Cable has never coached an OL that was higher than 25th in the league in sack percentage said a lot about our prospects for good pass blocking this or any other year.

I would love to be wrong, however, and I think the new switch moving Britt to LG and Gilliam to RT may work very well.

Imagine if it was any other Qb but Wilson behind out oline. That said I am concerned, Wilson has taken a lot of big hits, sooner or later it will be one to many and then we are done.

sam1313

Reaction score
Anthony!":a9s73jxy said:
sam1313":a9s73jxy said:

Imagine if it was any other Qb but Wilson behind out oline. That said I am concerned, Wilson has taken a lot of big hits, sooner or later it will be one to many and then we are done.

Any other QB but Wilson, and any other RB besides Lynch. It scares the hell out of me too.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The O-Line is a mess and in my opinion are saved by Wilson/Lynch. We took Britt because Cable said he had to have him when just about everyone else said it was a huge reach and it looks like they're right. I'm down on Cable and the whole situation. I get we don't need and won't have a traditional type line but its been really bad and looks to be worse this year. I hope we see a big improvement this week.

To be fair Denver went after Wilson and with two good outside rushers are going to be rough for most teams. Would be nice if Britt could slow someone down. I feel confident I could get to Wilson against Britt.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
austinslater25":ak1mlvu6 said:
The O-Line is a mess and in my opinion are saved by Wilson/Lynch. We took Britt because Cable said he had to have him when just about everyone else said it was a huge reach and it looks like they're right. I'm down on Cable and the whole situation. I get we don't need and won't have a traditional type line but its been really bad and looks to be worse this year. I hope we see a big improvement this week.

To be fair Denver went after Wilson and with two good outside rushers are going to be rough for most teams. Would be nice if Britt could slow someone down. I feel confident I could get to Wilson against Britt.

To be fair, Britt was the highest rated rookie OT last season. But personally, I think his best position is guard.

hawk45

Reaction score
sam1313":2ffxmdqi said:
Any other QB but Wilson, and any other RB besides Lynch. It scares the hell out of me too.

I'd be surprised if anyone on this board believes in their heart of hearts Cable is going to enable us to stick "just a guy" in at RB like the Broncos did for years and rip off 1500 yards. Even folks giving Cable Alex-Gibbs like leeway.

I think we're all together in soiling ourselves at what the post-Lynch era brings. Michaels is the only backup we have with enough juice to do something back there (albeit in a different manner than Lynch), and Michaels's issues are well-documented.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawknation2015":dvoftmlq said:
austinslater25":dvoftmlq said:

To be fair, Britt was the highest rated rookie OT last season. But personally, I think his best position is guard.

Is that true? Huard said he was graded the worst RT at pass pro by PFF. For whatever that's worth.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Smellyman":32i8ayqz said:
hawknation2015":32i8ayqz said:
austinslater25":32i8ayqz said:

Is that true? Huard said he was graded the worst RT at pass pro by PFF. For whatever that's worth.

Yes, PFF credited Britt with more pressures allowed than any other player, while also naming him to their All-Rookie Team (due to his dominant run blocking).

That shows how hard it is to find good OTs and how poor the rookie OT class was last year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Anthony!":15gb4p2o said:
sam1313":15gb4p2o said:

Hard to say.. Wilson extends plays with his legs, but a lot of times also refuses to throw the ball in a timely manner and eats an unnecessary sack or runs for his life when he has a clean pocket.

You can argue all of that is related to poor protection though too.

Subzero717

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":wnsdbatk said:
RiverDog":wnsdbatk said:
CALIHAWK1":wnsdbatk said:
Our O line has sucked since Hutch left.

Agreed. Didn't Tobeck and Mack Strong retire then, too?

Well lets bring Hutch back. Instead of sideline reporting or offering his insights over the air waves, lets bring him in as an offensive line coach assistant.

He is a one of the best guards to play the game (Hall of Famer)

Gives him a chance to mend fences in the community.

Used great technique when playing in particular pass blocking. He would help with that tremendously.

Very savvy and smart player.

Pay the man and lets bring him in........
I was responding to the statement made that our O line sucked the last three years. It's sucked for awhile. At least that's what Hass fans would say. Also, probably the reason we went with TJACK instead of resigning Matt. He would have been in the ICU before the season started.

As far as run blocking we do tend to be better at that or so it seems on paper. How many of the rush yards are from Russ and a broken pocket where he takes off. Marshawn gets tons of YAC. If another back were in there how successful would we be?

The other thing is penalties, penalties, penalties. They're horribly undisciplined.