Tom Cable

Fade

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":3ka8an1m said:
Hey I was disappointed as the everyone in our play last night. But we have suffered quite a bit of injury in our o-line. That is not an excuse but just what has happened. The thing with o-lines they need to play together to work as a unit and that takes time which we have not had in a few years. If we can get a few of these young guys to survive and hang together for a while then we can really start making better observations.

FYI Denver last night started 3 guys on the OLine who never played in an NFL game before. Stop with the excuses.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I posted this stats awhile back but it's worth mentioning again.

Tomcablestats

Before joining the Seahawks, Cable had only two top 5 Running games in his 5 seasons. All 5 seasons were losing seasons. Here's the thing that I think makes Cable system works correctly.

Look at 2006 look at who he had, Michael Vick paired with Warrick Dun they were a running threat, but the wildcard that also made it work was a TE in Algae Crumpler.

His next best season was in 2010 with a good RB in Darren Mcfadden before the decline and Zach Miller.

Zach Miller was their playmaker for 3 years.

Cable's system relies on the TE.

Now fast forward to this year, we have a dual threat QB, a Beast in the Backfield, and we need Graham to be a threat in the passing game, and serviceable in the blocking game as well. I know he's no Zach Miller but he's still a threat in the passing game, if that O-line can get fixed then this running game could be more dangerous than last year.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1msl0zjn said:
Unger and Okung were both hurt a lot. The only offensive linemen we drafted from 2012-2014 were in the 7th Round. In a way, we are paying for that the most right now.

Tom Cable's running scheme has allowed us to save money and draft capital. It has also given us one of the best running games in NFL history.
No, it hasn't given us a very good running game at all actually. Our historically good running game is the product of Lynch and Wilson ENTIRELY.

According to Football Outsiders and PFF, the offensive lines rush blocking is actually mediocre compared to the rest of the NFL. Lynch gets hit pretty quickly after getting the ball. It's just that Lynch is hard to tackle.

The offensive line is not blasting open big holes for him to run through.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Fade":kt6ds2pa said:
EntiatHawk":kt6ds2pa said:
Hey I was disappointed as the everyone in our play last night. But we have suffered quite a bit of injury in our o-line. That is not an excuse but just what has happened. The thing with o-lines they need to play together to work as a unit and that takes time which we have not had in a few years. If we can get a few of these young guys to survive and hang together for a while then we can really start making better observations.

FYI Denver last night started 3 guys on the OLine who never played in an NFL game before. Stop with the excuses.

Yeah and when we had our first team D line in there what happened? A sack, Avril was in there like a bullet. Just saying.

Hey I am not saying that the line play was good. But it is still very early in the preseason and we knew this was going to be a project for several of these players.

1st and 10 at SEA 13 (14:57) R.Turbin up the middle to SEA 15 for 2 yards (S.Williams).
2nd and 8 at SEA 15 (14:21) (Shotgun) R.Wilson sacked at SEA 9 for -6 yards (V.Miller). FUMBLES (V.Miller),

1st and 10 at SEA 10 (14:15) C.Anderson right guard to SEA 8 for 2 yards (M.Bennett). 0 0
2nd and 8 at SEA 8 (13:41) B.Osweiler sacked at SEA 20 for -12 yards (C.Avril).

Fade

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":8ynn1xzg said:
Fade":8ynn1xzg said:
EntiatHawk":8ynn1xzg said:

Yeah and when we had our first team D line in there what happened?

Who's we? Do you work for the Seahawks?

Those green O-Linemen played the entire first half and Denver didn't punt one time.

Fade

Reaction score
marko358":3tukoxjf said:
Chawker":3tukoxjf said:
Yup.....back to back superbowls. Lets fire him! LOL

Using that logic, we should have kept Walters and avoided drafting Lockett since Walters got us to the Super Bowl last year!
img-thing

Anthony!

Reaction score
A lot of what some of you are saying and eluding to is correct. They want maulers first and foremost. That means run blocking. Pass blocking is not and may never be a strength for this oline. In fact it is almost an after thought. and likely will be until either a new system, or Wilson gets hurt. Of course the only problem is if Wilson gets hurt and is out we are done. What confuses me is they have said they have been working on keeping Wilson in the pocket more. Given what we just saw that scares the hell out of me. Hopefully something change and fast.

Fade

Reaction score
The Hawks couldn't run block either Friday night.

Robert Turbin 2.6 ypc
C-Mike 2.1 ypc
Rawls 3.1 ypc (The scrubs had subbed in by this point.)

I understand the philosophy, but for it to work you HAVE TO run block. They failed.

hawk45

Reaction score
When Lynch retires I think we'll see the image of cable as run blocking guru take a hit. Then they will have to spend some capital at the position but my concern is that all the successful high picks on the OL are pre-Cable. His best picks like Carp do improve run blocking but are not solid contributors until they are nearing their second contract, and they are not good enough to warrant a second contract from us.
They are so desperate to unlock the key of successfully drafting to Cable's profile that they keep drafting defensive linemen in hopes of recreating the one (lower round) draft success Cable did have.
This doesn't seem as much neglecting the position as it seems mistakenly operating as if Cable is to OL what Pete is to LBs and secondary. Which, like Bevell, is more on Pete's evaluation at this point.

Dougula

Reaction score
Is it bad coaching on Cables part or the fact that we're running with UDFA's, mid/late round picks, and former D-Lineman at the G/C position, plus a 2nd year RT that many said was a 6th round talent (if you listen to the media draft guru speak).

So is it bad coaching or less than stellar talent? To me it is at least conceivable that it could be Cable's coaching that is even making these guys borderline serviceable.

Fade

Reaction score
Dougula":1ad00mpq said:
Is it bad coaching on Cables part or the fact that we're running with UDFA's, mid/late round picks, and former D-Lineman at the G/C position, plus a 2nd year RT that many said was a 6th round talent (if you listen to the media draft guru speak).

So is it bad coaching or less than stellar talent? To me it is at least conceivable that it could be Cable's coaching that is even making these guys borderline serviceable.

It's both. Cable is responsible for both. The buck stops with him.

It's all on Cable, they are playing with UDFAs because his picks flopped (1st) Carpenter & (3rd) Moffitt. This is his 5th year with the Seahawks. The starting O-Line has plenty of experience in this league, and in his system. Meanwhile Denver started 3 guys who never played an NFL game before playing the entire 1st half, and they never punted the entire 1st half.

LolaRox

Reaction score
My thoughts on Cable are pretty much the same as Fade and Kearly in this thread.

I am not a fan of Cable and never have been. He is overrated as an o-line coach and gets way too much of the credit for #1 rushing offense. As I see it Russell and Marshawn’s individual talents are bigger (or least same) contributors to that than the o-line run blocking.

I don’t believe you need high draft picks to have success in the NFL, but you must be able to develop talent. That said, Cable has had a range of draft position players to work with but the output is always the same. I see nothing that tells me he’s a great talent evaluator and/or that he can develop that talent.

Its just frustrating to watch this every year and then hear people praise this dude and make excuses for him.

Also, it was clear in Friday’s game that the 1st string line needed more snaps as a unit, why on earth did they get pulled so early?? They needed the work. I hope they stop rotating these guys in practice so they can try to build some kind of chemistry because what happened on Friday is not good enough.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The offensive system that Cable has developed is absolutely perfect to showcase the skill sets of Russell and Marshawn. I don't believe anyone could design a better system for these two players.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1h75m2lw said:
The offensive system that Cable has developed is absolutely perfect to showcase the skill sets of Russell and Marshawn. I don't believe anyone could design a better system for these two players.

Mike Shanahan? It was Pete that took a page of how they used RGIII with the Redskins with Alfred Morris. Just happens that both WIlson and Lynch are better than those two at it.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Here's the big elephant in the room: The Zone Blocking Scheme and all the hoopla around Cable was that this system could make average RB's look like Pro Bowlers. Remember all those nobodies out of Denver? Well, the exact opposite has happened instead. If not for a fantastic RB like Lynch, this oline couldn't block for squat. They don't open up holes (remember 2005? Those were holes), they let the RB get hit almost immediately.

And then, to top it off, we get all this pile of heaping dung at the cost of the worst pass blocking oline perhaps in NFL history.

No. Too late to stop the trainwreck this season, but Cable is a bust.

Now, as to the strategy, that obviously has merit. Two super bowls speak to that. So they aren't going to spend the money on the oline. I get that. But Cable can't say he wasn't given the talent. His picks all busted.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
1 qb hurt.....hope rw stays vertical. Things need to dramatically improve to even get to the crap level the olive played last yr

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The Hawks are trying something that has never been done before.

ZBS has always relied on slighter, but a bit more athletic, blockers. Seattle is trying to get sparqy with it. Get uber athletes (for their size) and teach them how to block much better. Or convert them from defense.

Sweezy showed they can do it.

I think they went all in on getting some athletes for the line this year because much like taller press corners, once there is some success those that fit the profile will be sought after by more teams.

That doesn't mean the growth curve will be easy or painless. Or even that the plan will be a success.

kearly

Reaction score
One of the reasons I am trying not to panic too much is that most of our starting line is a known commodity. We know what Okung is. We've seen Bailey play in a lot of real games now. Same thing with LJP and Lewis. Sweezy is a 4th year vet. Justin Britt started 16 games last year.

Bailey, Sweezy, and Britt played poorly. But do we evaluate them based on 20+ snaps in a first preseason game, or on the multiple regular season starts we've seen out of them before? I don't think one preseason game should really change the way we look at those guys. It was just a really lousy game by them and that's all it was.

Of the OL with previous NFL starting experience, only Britt really concerns me, since we no longer have Zach Miller to glue to his hip.