Tom Cable

Chawker

Reaction score
marko358":34phconz said:
Chawker":34phconz said:
Yup.....back to back superbowls. Lets fire him! LOL

Using that logic, we should have kept Walters and avoided drafting Lockett since Walters got us to the Super Bowl last year!
Ouch... minor boo boo. sweet retort
:snack:

Fade

Reaction score
The Broncos had 4 new starters on their offensive line, and they looked fine. The difference between good coaching and bad I guess.

Fade

Reaction score
The historic rushing yardage is about having the greatest run after contact backs in NFL history, and having a magician at QB.

Swap RW & Beast for Tony Romo & DeMarco Murray. Pro Bowl players in their own right. And the run offense takes a nose dive, and Tony Romo is hauled away on a stretcher.

Sac

Reaction score
Fade":1l6ofqww said:
The historic rushing yardage is about having the greatest run after contact backs in NFL history, and having a magician at QB.

Swap RW & Beast for Tony Romo & DeMarco Murray. Pro Bowl players in their own right. And the run offense takes a nose dive, and Tony Romo is hauled away on a stretcher.

This.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
BlueThunder":quqioeta said:
Tom Cable is a damn fine line coach. That's how he got his shot at head coach with the stupid Raiders. But here, he's got no horses... It's like giving the best golfer in the world a 7-iron as his only club at the Masters... You can only do so much with what ya got. And I think Tom has done as good a job as possible with the limited tools he's been given. I do admit though, I'm pretty sure they've cut back a notch or two from what is required to keep Russ safe and give Marshawn lanes to run through... And it was thin to begin with... Color me concerned. What good is Graham if Russ can't survive long enough to get him the ball... :?

Remember, as the Oline coach and asst HEAD coach he has some pull on who we pick up. After all, he's the one flying around the country to get a first-hand look at what is there, Sokoli and Sweezy come to mind. So I would say Cable is involved enough to warrant the scrutiny and blame for our consistant Oline suckiness.

Outside of anything politically incorrect or just plain illegal, would Pete EVER fire a coach?

Of course he might get socked in the schnozz by Cable if he tried. Maybe that's what's holding him back.

Fade

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":nhoix7v4 said:
BlueThunder":nhoix7v4 said:
Tom Cable is a damn fine line coach. That's how he got his shot at head coach with the stupid Raiders. But here, he's got no horses... It's like giving the best golfer in the world a 7-iron as his only club at the Masters... You can only do so much with what ya got. And I think Tom has done as good a job as possible with the limited tools he's been given. I do admit though, I'm pretty sure they've cut back a notch or two from what is required to keep Russ safe and give Marshawn lanes to run through... And it was thin to begin with... Color me concerned. What good is Graham if Russ can't survive long enough to get him the ball... :?

Remember, as the Oline coach and asst HEAD coach he has some pull on who we pick up. After all, he's the one flying around the country to get a first-hand look at what is there, Sokoli and Sweezy come to mind. So I would say Cable is involved enough to warrant the scrutiny and blame for our consistant Oline suckiness.

Outside of anything politically incorrect or just plain illegal, would Pete EVER fire a coach?

Of course he might get socked in the schnozz by Cable if he tried. Maybe that's what's holding him back.

Jeremy Bates is the only coach I can recall Pete has fired.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Anyone notice how close Graham came to having his knee forcibly bent in a direction knees don't like to go on the first sack of Wilson, what?, second play of the game? that was close.

Fade

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":1zomfhem said:
Anyone notice how close Graham came to having his knee forcibly bent in a direction knees don't like to go on the first sack of Wilson, what?, second play of the game? that was close.

Yeah i Noticed, and was appalled. Why trade for the top receiving TE and use him like he is Zach Miller? A real WTF moment. I get evals and all that, but I've seen enough after that play.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawkfan68":21ux6ee4 said:
Without Lynch's running, the OL would be below average in run blocking and pass blocking. Lynch covers the OL flaws in the run game more than people realize. He didn't play yesterday and the blocking was poor. As were the results. Cable's coaching hasn't improved anyone besides Sweezy. Sweezy is average, IMO. He gets hyped on this site because average looks pretty good on a weak OL. Cable shouldn't be excused for the poor results by OL.

Having a 800 yard rushing qb helps him out too.

Lynch and Wilson making Cable look good since 2012.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Mike Rob was saying Cable deserved coach of the year last year for his work with the o-line. I think I'll go with the observations of a pro bowl full back and the eyes of Lynch. I also think we're jumping the gun as it's the first preseason game.

The last few years we were lucky to have Cable as any other o line coach likely wouldn't have been able to get us to the super bowl twice with the injuries and low/middle tier talent we had.

We hear all this praise of Cable and then one bad preseason game by our starters and 2nd stringers and it's time to jump all over him... Let's just wait to see what happens.

kearly

Reaction score
The way I feel about Tom Cable is the way I felt about Jack Zdurenciek a few years ago. He had done some really cool things, and talked a good talk. But there were some nagging issues that would remain nagging issues year after year after year.

It's hard to expect Wilson to grow as a QB so long as his protection is among the worst in the league. I like Cable, but at some point I wonder if the team will have to choose between developing the passing game and keeping Tom Cable.

There is still time for Cable to prove this a false choice. But I think right now, things seem to be heading in that direction.

swagcity21

Reaction score
While the O-line play has been horrible over the last couple years, it's kind of hard to blame Tom Cable. We all would have a legit gripe if our O-line play was as poor as it as AND we were horrible at running the ball or passing the ball.

I think as a coach and coordinator you get a pass when your portion of the offense that you are responsible is consistently in the top 3-5 EVERY year.

Remember, Cable is the one that opened Marshawn's eyes to the one cut and go running style that has gotten him so much success. He does not dance and just pounds the rock.

Smellyman

Reaction score
kearly":85qdy3w0 said:
The way I feel about Tom Cable is the way I felt about Jack Zdurenciek a few years ago. He had done some really cool things, and talked a good talk. But there were some nagging issues that would remain nagging issues year after year after year.

It's hard to expect Wilson to grow as a QB so long as his protection is among the worst in the league. I like Cable, but at some point I wonder if the team will have to choose between developing the passing game and keeping Tom Cable.

There is still time for Cable to prove this a false choice. But I think right now, things seem to be heading in that direction.

nailed it.

Jack Z brought in great young players, not his fault they can't hit.

It's not Cable's fault they can't block.

kf3339

Reaction score
We all know the O-Line is by far the weakest part of our team, and has been for several years. PC doesn't seem to have an issue with it, or Cable. So there is nothing we can say or do to change it.

Personally I think Cable is very overrated as a coach and can't figure out what PC sees in him. But of course what do I or any of us know.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I believe in him as a teacher of men. We've seen young dudes develop. He even got through to Carp eventually. The problem is that we operate like Cable can do for OL prospects what Carroll does for DB prospects. I just don't think it works that way. In the meantime we've been funneling resources to redundant position groups while siphoning off decent linemen and replacing them with projects at every opportunity. I don't think it's really come to a head until now.

So, I don't necessarily think what he does as a coach is the problem. It's more the blind faith that has led to this current dearth of talent that's the bigger issue. And perhaps Cable's criteria for scouting is also a part of it. I appreciate that Britt has "grit," but certainly his performance thus far has not squelched concerns over his awful college tape and lack of experience in pro systems.

Fade

Reaction score
Time to bust another myth that Tom Cable hasn't been given enough resources.

The Packers have one of the best Olines in football built on day 3 picks.

4th LT David Bakhtiari
4th LG Josh Sitton
5th OC Corey Linsley (2014 all rookie team)
4th RG T.J. Lang
1st RT Bryan Bulaga

Compared to

1st LT Russell Okung
CFA LG Alvin Bailey
CFA OC Lem Jeanpierre
7th RG J.R. Sweezy
2nd Justin Britt

The CFAs (College Free Agent) are Cable's problem because his first 2 draft picks Carpenter (1st) & Moffitt (3rd) were busts.

So Tom Cable O-Line draft picks are as follows

[2011] 1st- James Carpenter -Bust-
[2011] 3rd- John Moffitt -Bust-
[2012] 7th- J.R. Sweezy -Hit-
[2013] 7th- Ryan Seymour - I'm not going to count 7th rounders as busts- He definitely wasn't a hit.
[2013] 7th- Michael Bowie -Not a hit-
[2014] 2nd-Justin Britt -High chance of being a bust-
[2015] 4th- Terry Poole -Bust- (Yes I'm calling it now.)
[2015] 4th- Mark Glowinski -TBD-
[2015] 6th- Kristjan Sokoli -TBD-

Looking at this track record it is not surprising Seattle has a porous Offensive Line.

Once Okung goes, the last remaining piece before Cable arrived.
The real horror show begins.
Ezgif 2506747271

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't think showing that 1 of 32 teams has built a respectable line out of little draft capital proves that we've devoted resources to our own. The entire group is on rookie/minimum contracts.

And while Green Bay's group had a pretty good year last year, that has not historically been a great line. They were bad the year before that when Rodgers had his collar bone broken and were a trainwreck in 2012 when we massacred that group on Monday Night Football.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Fade":21it51i5 said:
Time to bust another myth that Tom Cable hasn't been given enough resources.

The Packers have one of the best Olines in football built on day 3 picks.

4th LT David Bakhtiari
4th LG Josh Sitton
5th OC Corey Linsley (2014 all rookie team)
4th RG T.J. Lang
1st RT Bryan Bulaga

Compared to

1st LT Russell Okung
CFA LG Alvin Bailey
CFA OC Lem Jeanpierre
7th RG J.R. Sweezy
2nd Justin Britt

The CFAs (College Free Agent) are Cable's problem because his first 2 draft picks Carpenter (1st) & Moffitt (3rd) were busts.

So Tom Cable O-Line draft picks are as follows

[2011] 1st- James Carpenter -Bust-
[2011] 3rd- John Moffitt -Bust-
[2012] 7th- J.R. Sweezy -Hit-
[2013] 7th- Ryan Seymour - I'm not going to count 7th rounders as busts- He definitely wasn't a hit.
[2013] 7th- Michael Bowie -Not a hit-
[2014] 2nd-Justin Britt -High chance of being a bust-
[2015] 4th- Terry Poole -Bust- (Yes I'm calling it now.)
[2015] 4th- Mark Glowinski -TBD-
[2015] 6th- Kristjan Sokoli -TBD-

Looking at this track record it is not surprising Seattle has a porous Offensive Line.

Once Okung goes, the last remaining piece before Cable arrived.
it will be a horror show.
Ezgif 2506747271

Yep. Thanks for doing the footwork. I believe there is a large enough sample here that there are conflicting redundant issues here that ( if you want to run a top notch football team ) goes against the very essence of truly wanting to win, and where do you win? In the trenches.

And the Simpsons are Gold! :th2thumbs:

Fade

Reaction score
DavidSeven":s4cgn4jf said:
I don't think showing that 1 of 32 teams has built a respectable line out of little draft capital proves that we've devoted resources to our own. The entire group is on rookie/minimum contracts.

And while Green Bay's group had a pretty good year last year, that has not historically been a great line. They were bad the year before that when Rodgers had his collar bone broken and were a trainwreck in 2012 when we massacred that group on Monday Night Football.

OK, how about the Baltimore Ravens another top O-Line in football.
T4th,5th - LT Eugene Monroe
2nd - LG Kelechi Osemele
T5th - OC Jeremy Zuttah
3rd - RG Marshal Yanda
5th - RT Ricky Wagner

The point I'm trying to make is you don't need to spend $5mil+ at every position and a bunch of 1st round draft picks to have a good offensive line. It just requires you to draft well / make savvy trades. The Seahawks haven't when it comes to offensive line.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Hey I was disappointed as the everyone in our play last night. But we have suffered quite a bit of injury in our o-line. That is not an excuse but just what has happened. The thing with o-lines they need to play together to work as a unit and that takes time which we have not had in a few years. If we can get a few of these young guys to survive and hang together for a while then we can really start making better observations.

We are built to beat teams up, not to be a finesse team that is more typical of pass blocking. The plan is to have a bunch of nasties that are still coming after you in the 4th quarter. But we need to survive the first and second.

We have no choice now but to hope Cable can coach them up and get them to work together. I think we will never be a very pretty pass blocking team, that is just not the priority here.

One thing for sure Russell and Marshawn can make up for a lot and deserve everything they get paid.

Latest posts