Tom Brady PC

randomation

Reaction score
Narniaman":txti7x1z said:
Most every discussion of the loss of pressure is based upon the pV = nRT equation. . . .which relates pressure to temperature.

The problem is. . . . is that this equation is for a rigid container, which a football isn't. And since it's not a rigid container, but an elastic one with non-linear characteristics, the pV = nRT equation doesn't hold. Among other things, the ambient air pressure has to be taken into consideration.

There are just too many unknowns. The only way to know for sure. . .would be to take 12 footballs and replicate the conditions.

Good thing they already did with the Colts balls.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
randomation":1wrpcxv3 said:
Narniaman":1wrpcxv3 said:
Most every discussion of the loss of pressure is based upon the pV = nRT equation. . . .which relates pressure to temperature.

The problem is. . . . is that this equation is for a rigid container, which a football isn't. And since it's not a rigid container, but an elastic one with non-linear characteristics, the pV = nRT equation doesn't hold. Among other things, the ambient air pressure has to be taken into consideration.

There are just too many unknowns. The only way to know for sure. . .would be to take 12 footballs and replicate the conditions.

Good thing they already did with the Colts balls.
I keep hearing this cold weather theory.

57 degrees at kickoff. It was not a cold weather game. And the Colts balls did not deflate in the temps.

Patriot fans. Deal with it. Your QB has had equipment guys taking air out for years.

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":j86jeqia said:
hawknation2015":j86jeqia said:
Brady's complete presser: http://www.patriots.com/media-center/vi ... 249359cbbc

Deflategate Part II: Lie Gate

"I have a very precise pre-game ritual where I carefully inspect the balls and choose the very best ones I want to play with. I like them at exactly 12.5 pounds of pressure, and I take extreme care to make sure they're completely perfect before the game."

"When I'm out there on the field, the last thing I'm thinking about is the balls. I have no idea if they're the same or not and couldn't tell the difference between the ones that were inflated properly and the ones that weren't."

Well, Tom, I gotta ask you then, why go to all that trouble to make sure they're perfect balls that are inflated to exactly 12.5 pounds of pressure when you say you can't even tell the difference anyway? Do you see why nobody believes a thing you're saying here?

In fairness, one could argue that the point of such a preparation is to not have to worry about it during the actual game, comfortable that YOUR BALLS :lol: are exactly how you want them

Seahawk

Reaction score
My theory...
Brady didn't deflate the balls. The running backs and the receivers paid the ball inspector ref with the ball pump to deflate them instead of inflating them to legal range during inspection.

How else could 11 of 12 balls be exactly 2 PSI low and nobody see anything with the ball boys on the sideline!!!
Brady, or anyone for that matter, doesn't have time to let exactly 2 psi out of 11 balls and not be noticed. It makes more sense that the 'deed' happened in secret and the ref with the pump had the trust of the other refs and was the last one to handle 11 of 12 balls.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seahawk":1nmn4rso said:
My theory...
Brady didn't deflate the balls. The running backs and the receivers paid the ball inspector ref with the ball pump to deflate them instead of inflating them to legal range during inspection.

How else could 11 of 12 balls be exactly 2 PSI low and nobody see anything with the ball boys on the sideline!!!
Brady, or anyone for that matter, doesn't have time to let exactly 2 psi out of 11 balls and not be noticed. It makes more sense that the 'deed' happened in secret and the ref with the pump had the trust of the other refs and was the last one to handle 11 of 12 balls.
He said in his presser that the equipment guys get the balls ready to his "specifications".

Seahawk

Reaction score
I didn't say he didn't know about it... maybe the paid off ref is one of his 'equipment guys'.

RAMbot

Reaction score
382623 10152538511736316 2202281445651974861 n jpg

From a Rams fan I hope you stop the ever loving shit out those cheating bastards!

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
BillBelichick":2wmfzdiv said:
Come on, Seahawks fans...is this really how you want us to remember our 6th Super Bowl opponent? Just another team that got strung along by the media's anti-Patriots hype, not wanting to focus on the game?

Wait - what?

Get a load of this guy. :lol:

Son, it's not all about the Patriots.

I mean, who cares how the Broncos fans feel about us from last year?

This is by far the most myopic thing I've ever seen an opposing fan write. Shit borders on solipsism.

rams2050

Reaction score
I would bet dollars to doughnuts that Brady knew BUT he has let someone else take the air out of the balls to provide himself with plausible deniability.

NE powers-that-be will probably pay the poor kid (or equipment manager) off to take the fall for B & B.

What MUST be done, though, is the administration of polygraph tests to anyone who had anything at all to do with those balls. And the polygraph must be administered -- and interpreted -- by someone who does that sort of thing all the time, perhaps someone with the FBI.

I know that they are no admissible in a courtroom, but I think the results would be very interesting indeed.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
All this discussion of deflation by change of air pressure/temperature doesn't take into consideration the 12th ball which was w/in the parameters. If that ball was w/in the pressure parameters why didn't it deflate to 2 PSI below the legal minimum or did the laws of physics not apply to it? Presuming it was w/in the parameters, as it had been checked, it didn't deflate as much as the other 11. Thus other external factors beside temperature and pressure affected its and the other 11. Alternatively
that 12th ball would have needed to have been above the limit to have been within the pressure parameters when measured for the temperature pressure discussion to have any merit. It doesn't, the ball wasn't, so some external mechanism was applied to the balls, i.e. they were intentionally deflated after being checked by the referees.

Okham's razor thus applies to this situation so you need to look at those who benefitted by the situation existing. The only logical answer is a person related in some fashion to the Patriots deflated the balls to a range that Brady desired, he knew. The situation was directed by him. He and the Patriots WRs and RBs were the beneficiaries of this situation, as it demonstrably provides some advantage in wet or slippery conditions for ball security. They all knew and ought to have known of the situation. Given the prior complaints the other question of how long has this been happening and this needs to be answered as well.

The Patriots will at least be now under increased scrutiny as far as ball pressure and hopefully won't be able to cheat in this way going forward.

My opinion is Brady lied by omission or flat out lied during his PC. To me his tone, language used, and demeanour lead me to my opinion. Of course it merely an opinion but one supported by the 12th ball.

original poster

Reaction score
The NFL announced the Patriots punishment this morning, every single one of the players has to participate in tackling practice with Kam Chancellor.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I heard somewhere that the 12th ball had been thrown into the stands and so wasn't measured. They only had 11.