To the Poster who wanted Sowell

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Just really wish we had a better option at LT. Sowell gets absolutely abused by the speed rush and spin move. I suspect he'll have tremendous trouble with 3-4 teams.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Sowell is slated to be the team's starter at left tackle this season, and Avril said he's happy to have him protecting quarterback Russell Wilson's blindside.

"He’s the bully of the O-line," Avril said. "He’s an awesome dude and a heck of a ball player. He doesn’t back down to anybody and he brings that grittiness, that toughness, to the O-line. I think they definitely need him. He’s a heck of a ballplayer and I’m glad he’s definitely protecting Russ’ blindside.”

Avril said he expects Sowell to "go to war" for the Seahawks this season.

"He’s just scrappy, he’s not going to back down to anybody and I think that’s cool," said Avril. "He shows you that he’s not afraid to compete and that’s what we need on this team. Guys that will go out and compete at a high level all the time. That’s what he brings.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/09/08 ... omas-cliff

Seafan

Reaction score
He was an astute FA acquisition by JS. You win some and you lose some. Then you have Webb. He's actually the Bailey replacement in that he can play 4 different positions in a pinch. Rees may fill that role next year. The only bad thing about Sowell is he will be a UFA at season's end and the OL carousel continues.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Bumping this thread because the Sowell disaster couldn't have been more clear. He is deficient as a LT and asking him to start is nothing short of negligence on behalf of the coaching staff.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2t03svqc said:
Just really wish we had a better option at LT. Sowell gets absolutely abused by the speed rush and spin move. I suspect he'll have tremendous trouble with 3-4 teams.
Spot on, unfortunately,

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":10qzmjjt said:

I'd laugh if this weren't so frustrating. Could not have been more apparent that the Sowell experiment would turn out to be a disaster.

hawker84

Reaction score
Well we no longer have to worry about that now. Now we get to look forward to the Fant or Gilliam experiment. :pukeface:

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I for one have NEVER been a fan of Bradley Sowell's ... and for the life of me, I cannot figure out what the Hawks were thinking in bringing him in in the first place. Part of the answer is undoubtedly is that he was available, cheap, and had experience at Left Tackle. Let's not forget however, that this was the same Bradley Sowell whom Pro Football Focus (back in 2013) had ranked as the WORST starting Left Tackle in the NFL. Now I know he'd looked OK prior to last night, but I don't think there's any question now that LT is currently a major glaring weakness. Interestingly enough, I found these little nuggets in Pro Football Focus's preview of Week 7's games ...

While [Chandler] Jones has made his biggest impact with the Cardinals as a pass rusher, he’s also played well against the run. Against the Seahawks, the player tasked with stopping him is Bradley Sowell. Sowell has a run-blocking grade of 42.0, second-worst for left tackles with at least 100 run blocks on the season. Jones should be able to take advantage of former Cardinal in both the run and passing game to help build a potential All-Pro résumé.
As expected, Wilson has been among the most-pressured quarterbacks in the league this year. He’s been under pressure on 37.5 percent of dropbacks, the fifth-highest rate for NFL QBs.
Source:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-30-pff-stats-to-know-for-nfl-week-7/

Before he went down, I saw Bradley Sowell repeatedly getting pummeled again and again and again last night. It was so evident that he was just flat out over-matched. Many of us have saying that George Fant is the LT of the future. Well with Sowell going down, it looks like we just took a quantum leap into the future. Here's to hoping that future is a bright one. Couldn't be much worse than what we saw last night.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Fant starting at LT will essentially be a repeat of the Sowell disaster. It is readily apparent that neither player is capable of performing even serviceably at the position.

This whole episode borders on negligence by the FO. Actually, scratch that. It is negligent and the FO has been caught with its pants down.

I'll cling to the prayer that at least Fant may have some upside.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Well, I can't agree that Sowell has looked "OK". Not "OK" at all. I'd give him a D- or F+. Don't get me wrong, I don't wish him to be hurt but that doesn't change my view of his performance.

Now, however, Wilson will have Fant protecting his blind side. The same Fant who was an UDFA that played a few snaps at TE in college. A project.

Schneider better be headed out to the NFL OL scrap heap right now. Like last night.

King Dog

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":3k73covd said:
Well, I can't agree that Sowell has looked "OK". Not "OK" at all. I'd give him a D- or F+. Don't get me wrong, I don't wish him to be hurt but that doesn't change my view of his performance.

Now, however, Wilson will have Fant protecting his blind side. The same Fant who was an UDFA that played a few snaps at TE in college. A project.

Schneider better be headed out to the NFL OL scrap heap right now. Like last night.

I'm kind of doubt it. I think JaMarcus Webb is going to be starting somewhere.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
King Dog":278l1ov9 said:
Silver Hawk":278l1ov9 said:

I'm kind of doubt it. I think JaMarcus Webb is going to be starting somewhere.

Did he come in last night? I didn't notice. I did see them bring Fant in.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
If I were calling the shots I may look to move Ifedi to LT and plug in either Webb or Odhiambo at RG. Preferably Odhiambo.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
So well is just plain lazy. Watch him, he gets beat on the outside and doesn't follow the rusher back. Happened several times last night. Russ steps up in the pocket to make the rusher miss, but soweel is still standing at the line where he got beat. The rusher then can take a second run at Russ unobstructed.

If so well misses, ALWAYS follow them back to stop the second effort when Russ makes them miss.

Just. Plain. Lazy.

Latest posts