To the Poster who wanted Sowell

mrt144

Reaction score
You didn't just start referring to Sowell as Firebee's Champ?

Weird.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
kearly":2w2sxqlp said:
Sowell did play well, but then again he was facing off against... Frank Zombo. Context is everything.

Zombo is a veteran, who started two games last year for KC and had three sacks. He's a decent, replacement-level OLB. Sowell also had to block DE Jaye Howard, who has become a stud, and well-regarded rookie Chris Jones.

I thought Sowell's technique and footwork were impressive, regardless of whom he was facing. I had heard he was looking like one of the best pass blockers in camp, and he showed that yesterday.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I just re-watched the game... Pre-season game.
Sowell has the tools, is coachable, and was pretty solid in this game.
That's something to build on!
I'm hoping Webb, if retained, never has to play.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seems like every OL thread I have to post that we're a run-first offense with a run-blocking line, not a pass-first offense with a pass-defense OL.

How did our OL do? Made Christine Michael look like a star. 'Nuff said. Britt was blocking effectively 10 yards down field. When we needed 1 yard to win the game, we got it.

By the way they were also OK in pass protection, aided by the fact our QBs largely got the ball out on time, which they need to as a natural result of us having a run-first team with a run-blocking OL.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
The ideal Carroll offense is a perfect 50-50 balance of running and passing. In comparison to the rest of the pass-heavy NFL, it is a running offense, but balance remains the goal. The offensive line has to be able to both run and pass block.

I thought Britt, Sowell, and Gilliam looked really solid in both phases of the game. Ifedi is a monster as a run blocker, and Glowinski has his moments too in the run game. Sowell sealed off some good blocks for Michael and did a nice job getting downfield to make more blocks. Ditto for Gilliam; you can tell the added weight is helping him. Britt was just hitting guys in the mouth.

At least for this first game, kudos to the coaching staff for its seeming rehabilitation of the offensive line. Yesterday's performance was a stark contrast from a year ago.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Looking ahead to Thursday, I'm anxious to see how well Sowell holds up against the Vikings' Everson Griffen, assuming Sowell starts again at LT.

Griffen is powerful, explosive, and violent. He naturally prefers to run through players, rather than around them, but he's also very quick for his size. This will test whether Sowell can be physical, as well as proficient, in his blocking. Griffen has been receiving rave reviews at Vikings training camp. In their first preseason game, Griffen knocked Jake Fisher on his ass in the first play from scrimmage.

Sowell may also have to block SLB Anthony Barr, who has a knack for getting after the QB and disrupting the run. Big test.

BASF

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1crlj9bw said:
How did Fant, Hunt, and Poole look during their field time?

I can't say too much about Hunt or Poole, but Fant was very conspicuous with very little push in the run game, slow feet in pass blocking and not keeping a block for more than two seconds. He was standing around a lot a few feet away from the action while the other guys were actually engaged in the play.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
BASF":991ez0kx said:
Thepeelsessions":991ez0kx said:

I can't say too much about Hunt or Poole, but Fant was very conspicuous with very little push in the run game, slow feet in pass blocking and not keeping a block for more than two seconds. He was standing around a lot a few feet away from the action while the other guys were actually engaged in the play.

Yeah, I agree, Fant looked as awkward as one might expect from a non-football player taking his first snaps in the big league. Still a good looking athlete who might develop a year from now on the p-squad.

Hunt was solid, except for the low snap and whiffing a little in the run game. I thought he looked more in command than Lewis and better in pass pro. Overall, Hunt was fine; it was just that Britt looked awesome and way more explosive.

Poole looked OK at RT. He allowed a few pressures but looked more under control than he did a year ago. I think he has an outside chance to make the roster if they ditch Webb.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3ad5ta6n said:
The ideal Carroll offense is a perfect 50-50 balance of running and passing. In comparison to the rest of the pass-heavy NFL, it is a running offense, but balance remains the goal. The offensive line has to be able to both run and pass block.
Actually the goal is to control the ball in the 4th quarter. If we're behind, to score quickly and then get it back, and if we're ahead to take all the time off the clock so the opponent can't come back.

With that in mind, the possibilities for the 4th quarter are:

We're behind by a truckload
We're behind by a little
We're tied
We're ahead by a little
We're ahead by a truckload

In all but the first instance, it behooves us to control the ball and run out the clock either as an end in and of itself, or en route to a score. Only in the first instance is impact of an effective running game minimized. Even then, if we have been running the ball effectively during the game there will have been less time in the game and therefore fewer scoring opportunities for the opposition, limiting the amount they could be ahead.

So when I speak of a "run-first" offense, it's not about balance, but about emphasis. Our line blocks. Our receivers block. Our QB can run. Everything goes into progressing the football without stopping the clock, because we can always elect to stop the clock if we need to, but we can't make the clock run without running the ball.

The ultimate goal is to finish every game with possession of the football on offense, because if you can do that, you control your destiny. You can score, or prevent an opponent from scoring.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":162sd8qi said:
hawknation2016":162sd8qi said:
Actually the goal is to control the ball in the 4th quarter. If we're behind, to score quickly and then get it back, and if we're ahead to take all the time off the clock so the opponent can't come back.

We're behind by a little
We're tied
We're ahead by a little

In all but the first instance, it behooves us to control the ball and run out the clock either as an end in and of itself, or en route to a score. Only in the first instance is impact of an effective running game minimized. Even then, if we have been running the ball effectively during the game there will have been less time in the game and therefore fewer scoring opportunities for the opposition, limiting the amount they could be ahead.

So when I speak of a "run-first" offense, it's not about balance, but about emphasis. Our line blocks. Our receivers block. Our QB can run. Everything goes into progressing the football without stopping the clock, because we can always elect to stop the clock if we need to, but we can't make the clock run without running the ball.

The ultimate goal is to finish every game with possession of the football on offense, because if you can do that, you control your destiny. You can score, or prevent an opponent from scoring.

In the Carroll offensive system, the best way to control the ball is to have offensive balance. That way, the defense cannot anticipate whether the ball is being run or thrown. This balance is the best way to extend drives. When facing the average pass-first team, it also afford the opportunity to control the clock. Carroll has echoed this sentiment of balance many times before when rehashing the run vs. pass numbers on the stat sheet.

Thus, run and pass blocking are technically of equal importance in this system. I know I have heard it said many times on this board that pass blocking does not matter, but it just isn't true. In comparison to the rest of the league that does not strive to run the ball half the time, we do emphasize running more. The end goal, though, is controlling ball with perfect offensive balance.

Sowell and Gilliam appear to give them that balance in proficient run and pass blocking. Webb could be better as a run blocker, but he would probably struggle more in pass pro.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":gwkyaea0 said:
hawknation2016":gwkyaea0 said:

We're behind by a little
We're tied
We're ahead by a little

Minnesota is a run first offense while Seattle is a balanced offense. Teddy Bridgewater isn't going to win many games passing it 30 times a game while for Wilson that's below his typical average which should be around 35 pass attempts a game going forward. And he can and does attempt that many passes and wins consistently.

firebee

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2j8t3jtm said:
Kudos. You really nailed that bargain FA pick. I don't recall who it was or else I'd give a shout out.
What??? Who's this Bradley Sowell guy you guys are talking about???

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
hawknation2016":36vh9lph said:
BASF":36vh9lph said:
Thepeelsessions":36vh9lph said:

Yeah, I agree, Fant looked as awkward as one might expect from a non-football player taking his first snaps in the big league. Still a good looking athlete who might develop a year from now on the p-squad.

Hunt was solid, except for the low snap and whiffing a little in the run game. I thought he looked more in command than Lewis and better in pass pro. Overall, Hunt was fine; it was just that Britt looked awesome and way more explosive.

Poole looked OK at RT. He allowed a few pressures but looked more under control than he did a year ago. I think he has an outside chance to make the roster if they ditch Webb.
Thanks guys! I hope Sowell gets another start. Sounds like he's earned it. Too bad about Fant though. I hope he can get coached up. After all, it was his first ever football game. He has the measureables and tools to be a quality prospect at OT. I'm really hoping to see extended time for Hunt and Poole this weekend.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
firebee":3eedmfzo said:
EverydayImRusselin":3eedmfzo said:
Kudos. You really nailed that bargain FA pick. I don't recall who it was or else I'd give a shout out.
They already gave you your well deserved props upthread what more are you looking for? :mrgreen:

Just be happy that it looks like Britt doesn't look like a waste and the OL is actually average. Average is all we need with Wilson at the helm and 14-2/15-1 and a likely Superbowl berth.

chris98251

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1ufzvjrn said:
firebee":1ufzvjrn said:
EverydayImRusselin":1ufzvjrn said:
They already gave you your well deserved props upthread what more are you looking for? :mrgreen:

Just be happy that it looks like Britt doesn't look like a waste and the OL is actually average. Average is all we need with Wilson at the helm and 14-2/15-1 and a likely Superbowl berth.

Some want more then a few strokes here and there, selfish bastards always looking for a Happy Ending. :)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":23txz6rr said:
MizzouHawkGal":23txz6rr said:
firebee":23txz6rr said:
EverydayImRusselin":23txz6rr said:

Some want more then a few strokes here and there, selfish bastards always looking for a Happy Ending. :)
Then he should go to an Asian Massage Parlor instead of a football site. :D

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I'll play the foil. I think Sowell proves inadequate as a starter come the regular season.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":hn701ci2 said:
At best, I think the starting OT's grade should be incomplete.

The interior guys were tested more, playing against quality NFL players. But there really isn't anything to glean from this game as far as the tackles are concerned. The only test we're likely to see is this Thursday in that regard. Dallas is garbage on the edge and Oakland will be resting a lot.

We really won't get a good sense of where the OTs are at until the first real game.
Agreed.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2f3tv5ly said:
Attyla the Hawk":2f3tv5ly said:
At best, I think the starting OT's grade should be incomplete.

The interior guys were tested more, playing against quality NFL players. But there really isn't anything to glean from this game as far as the tackles are concerned. The only test we're likely to see is this Thursday in that regard. Dallas is garbage on the edge and Oakland will be resting a lot.

We really won't get a good sense of where the OTs are at until the first real game.
Agreed.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

I don't know, they looked pretty bad against bad opponents last year during pre season. So at least we don't have that situation.