To the Out With Pete people

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":22axq0ay said:
This is dumb man. Pete isnt going anywhere. The hell with anybody trying to take his spot or remove him. I hope all the crybabies put their pacifier back in and hold their tongue the next few weeks and beyond. We are playoffs. Every year. Regardless. I still think we are more than playoffs this year.

Nope to beienmy!
Hell no to saleh!
Hell no to any other pretender!

You guys are really asking to start over instead of being yearly contenders. Its dumb. So dumb.

It’s so cute you think we are or have been a “contender” the last 2-3 years. LOeffingL

ducks41468

Reaction score
The talent level is that of a 10-win team. The team plays like a 10 win team. So unless you really believe in Pete's player development abilities, he's not adding any wins as a coach. Most people are complaining that we consistently underperform our talent level actually, so there's an argument that his coaching offsets any player development anyway.

zchurch74

Reaction score
Eric Bienemy. Can’t imagine how good the offense would be. It’s the only answer that would work with no decline.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
TypeSly":qhseur05 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":qhseur05 said:
TwistedHusky":qhseur05 said:
Pete is frustrating. So yes, there is plenty to complain about as he leaves chips on the table.

He is old. He is on the downside of his career. He has surrounded himself with below-par assistants, or maybe just hamstrung them. But he is a winning coach. True, the chances he even reaches another SB are near zero. Every day he edges closer to turning into a 'less dirty Jeff Fischer' territory. But the day they remove him, the Seahawks lose the consistency of being a playoff team for near a decade.

Pete won't change. So the idea that we can jettison some part (like the incompetent coordinator penchant) is unlikely.

Yes, this team will almost certainly never really be a serious playoff contender while he is here. (At least SB/Conference championship type). Honestly, I doubt he wins another division playoff game again. But he will reach the playoffs regularly until he leaves.

To jettison him you must be OK with suddenly losing much more for the 10-20% chance that you might find a coach that can really use Wilson. For that slim chance that we might get another SB or at least win a meaningful playoff game since the SB loss.

This team has been a consistent winner, though a bit of playoff dud admittedly since the SB loss. There is a great deal of payoff for fans in the regular season you would be trading away on a low chance gamble.

Norton, I can see firing. I honestly don't care who you replace him with. I do not think you can do worse. I don't think he has the intelligence or acumen for the job. That has been clear for some time as he has never once even flashed a moment of understanding the tactics or strategy necessary to succeed at the job.

But Pete?

As much as there is little future with him, little chance of playoff success, and almost no possibility of long-term success given he will get worse over time - you go with him as long as possible because winning coaches tend to win while mediocre coaches tread water. The chances of getting a winning coach are tremendously low. The chances of getting a long-term winning coach are even worse.

We still have a winning program (even though it fizzles out in the playoffs). The day we remove him the odds are we won't.

Agreed.

If Wilson is really as good as we think he can be.

He is definitely hampered by how much Carroll restricts this offense.

McCarthy got a ring in GB, and couldn’t get a second, got boring and stale, Rodgers was dissatisfied, and McCarthy was moved on from.

And now his successor is doing a dandy job as well with their offense and now Rodgers is in the running to get his second ring.

Who’s to say, it’s not possible? Who’s to say Wilson still loves Carroll?

If Wilson is this talented and can carry this team, any coach can come in and Wilson may win 10 games on his own.

Why continue the frustrations with Carroll. Carroll has plateaued.

Just my assessment.

Feel free to disagree.

Not agreeing, or disagreeing. I still don't see any answers to the original question on whom to replace him with. I see names being thrown out there, but no real reasons behind those names.

On another note, I've never heard of a coach getting fired from 5-1 all the way to 8-4, but people here just want him out, out, out with really no real tangible reasoning behind it.

The game is more and more, offensively a spread it out, throw and score.

I would love to see Lincoln Riley come in and command this offense.

I feel Riley and Wilson would pair nicely together offensively.

Wilson will never say he hates Pete’s system but the “Let Russ Cook” campaign was not because he loves Carroll’s system so much.

Think about it.

How much frustrating games do you think Wilson wants to endure?

If Wilson honestly wants to throw the ball more, Carroll definitely isn’t the coach for him.

And Carroll’s defense hasn’t been working either, so what good is Carroll now anyways?

His defense has been figured out for years now.

There needs to be a change.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":pxkpe5ej said:
jamescasey1124":pxkpe5ej said:
This is dumb man. Pete isnt going anywhere. The hell with anybody trying to take his spot or remove him. I hope all the crybabies put their pacifier back in and hold their tongue the next few weeks and beyond. We are playoffs. Every year. Regardless. I still think we are more than playoffs this year.

Nope to beienmy!
Hell no to saleh!
Hell no to any other pretender!

You guys are really asking to start over instead of being yearly contenders. Its dumb. So dumb.

It’s so cute you think we are or have been a “contender” the last 2-3 years. LOeffingL

Lol, was going to say the exact same thing.

As said before, Wilson himself guarantees 9 to 10 wins. As long as he is the QB, there would be no decline regardless of who is hired. I cant see any negative aspects with moving on from Pete at this time.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
zchurch74":1miw3fxy said:
Eric Bienemy. Can’t imagine how good the offense would be. It’s the only answer that would work with no decline.

You “can’t imagine” how good it could be because there is no way anyone can see the future. All speculation. Funny how when the question is asked who to replace Pete with the only two name are the same names all the national pundits are pumping up.

Every single wonder boy over the last 5 years has, according to standards set here have fallen flat.

Let’s take a look...
Josh McDaniels- fired by one bailed on another and yet his name is back on the treadmill.
Sean Mcvay- lost a wild card game(one & done) scored 3 points in the SB and then missed the playoffs
Matt LeFluer- lead his team to a 13-3 record got 1 win in the playoffs and then got boat raced by the 9er’s
Kyle Shanahan- 30-33 One gift NFC West and then blew the SB and now in shambles. 0-27 trailing by 7 in 2nd half
Mike Vrable- 9-7 9-7 8-4 and looking good enough to play 1 or 2 playoff games in a stacked AFC
Matt Rhule- 4-8 and there big dollar franchise RB hurt...going to take some magic to make them contenders
Sean McDermott- 9-7 6-10 10-6 first three years with 2 wild card losses
Anthony Lynn- 29-32 and 1-1 in playoffs, last two seasons 5-11 and 3-9
Joe Judge- dude is 5-7 and some in the media are calling him coach of the year lol
Doug Pederson- Won the SB, 1-2 in playoffs since and now about to be run out of town
Kliff Klingsury- 5-10 and 6-6 with #6 offense
Doug Marone-38-56 and 2-1 postseason blowing AFC championship
Mike Zimmer- solid regular season record 63-43, 2-3 playoffs. Blown out in NFC Championship game
Adam Gase- don’t really need to pile on

And how about some of those legacy coaches

Bruce Arians- 72-47-1 and 1-2 one and done and choked to the Panthers
Mike Tomlin- 144-74-1 fantastic. Playoffs 8-7 with 3 one and done. No SB 10 years
Sean Payton- 141-79 fantastic. Playoffs 8-7 with 2 one and done. No SB 11 years
John Harbaugh- great coach 10-7 in the playoffs. Last two-one and done. 8 years since SB
Andy Reid- long successful career. 2-5 In KC with 3 one and done before winning SB. 1-5 in conference Championship

There are many more that have come and gone taking the hopes of their fans with them.

So let’s ditch Pete because he has had exactly ONE- one and done In the playoffs and go for a guy that is can’t miss...

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":1tbtr1a5 said:
zchurch74":1tbtr1a5 said:

You “can’t imagine” how good it could be because there is no way anyone can see the future. All speculation. Funny how when the question is asked who to replace Pete with the only two name are the same names all the national pundits are pumping up.

Every single wonder boy over the last 5 years has, according to standards set here have fallen flat.

Let’s take a look...
Josh McDaniels- fired by one bailed on another and yet his name is back on the treadmill.
Sean Mcvay- lost a wild card game(one & done) scored 3 points in the SB and then missed the playoffs
Matt LeFluer- lead his team to a 13-3 record got 1 win in the playoffs and then got boat raced by the 9er’s
Kyle Shanahan- 30-33 One gift NFC West and then blew the SB and now in shambles. 0-27 trailing by 7 in 2nd half
Mike Vrable- 9-7 9-7 8-4 and looking good enough to play 1 or 2 playoff games in a stacked AFC
Matt Rhule- 4-8 and there big dollar franchise RB hurt...going to take some magic to make them contenders
Joe Judge- dude is 5-7 and some in the media are calling him coach of the year lol
Doug Pederson- Won the SB, 1-2 in playoffs since and now about to be run out of town
Mike Zimmer- solid regular season record 63-43, 2-3 playoffs. Blown out in NFC Championship game

Mike Tomlin- 144-74-1 fantastic. Playoffs 8-7 with 3 one and done. No SB 10 years
John Harbaugh- great coach 10-7 in the playoffs. Last two-one and done. 8 years since SB
Andy Reid- long successful career. 2-5 In KC with 3 one and done before winning SB. 1-5 in conference Championship

There are many more that have come and gone taking the hopes of their fans with them.

So let’s ditch Pete because he has had exactly ONE- one and done In the playoffs and go for a guy that is can’t miss...

Pete Carroll is 11-9 in the playoffs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
zchurch74":3mwvpzn9 said:

Bieniemy might be great, and he should have already got a HC job if we're being honest.

But there are lists of coordinators and college coaches that everyone thought were surefire NFL HC home runs, but failed. So who knows.

While I have a problem with Pete's X's and O's and in game decision making.........there's no denying that what he brings to the team on an organizational and processes level is unparalleled in the NFL. You don't get the free agents and trades we've gotten over the years without Pete.

Pete's the reason Seattle is one of the top 2-3 most attractive places for players to want to play. The culture, the top to bottom commitment to winning, the way he talks and interacts with players and coaches.

It's all first rate. So sure, you can get Eric Bieniemy, or any other flavor of the month coordinator, but you're losing all these other things that's made Seattle one of the winningest and most attractive places in the NFL, if not THE most attractive.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is 11-9 in the playoffs.[/quote]

And....
Winning record, only 1 one and done. My point was that all the hot Name replacements and even the legacy coaches have performed worse or in a few cases equal to Pete. Dropping an all-time winning coach when he is still winning is ridiculous.

What’s your point?

AgentDib

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2v1whje2 said:
jamescasey1124":2v1whje2 said:
You guys are really asking to start over instead of being yearly contenders.
More or less cute than you patronizing somebody because you don't understand probability?

What % does a team need to have to be considered a "contender"?

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20i4350u said:
But there are lists of coordinators and college coaches that everyone thought were surefire NFL HC home runs, but failed. So who knows.
Yeah I don't usually pay attention to this kind of stuff, but remember the Hue Jackson hype, then him failing brutally as a head coach.

Gotta take chances though.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
AgentDib":175plqjq said:
JayhawkMike":175plqjq said:
jamescasey1124":175plqjq said:
You guys are really asking to start over instead of being yearly contenders.
More or less cute than you patronizing somebody because you don't understand probability?

I don’t know. Maybe better than 2 wins and 5 losses the last 5 years in the playoffs (28.5%). It would be even worse if the Eagles weren’t so injured.

Some here are content with winning seasons. Nothing wrong with that. Some here want to get back to the Super Bowl. There is nothing wrong with many of us wanting that too. We have peaked and regressed under Pete and there is no reason to believe it’s going to get better while he is here.

AgentDib

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2v9cqrrj said:
AgentDib":2v9cqrrj said:
I don’t know. Maybe better than 2 wins and 5 losses the last 5 years in the playoffs (28.5%).
Winning in the playoffs seems like a better definition for "champion" than "contender", but I am curious where you are getting those stats from. In the last five years I vividly recall us beating the Eagles, Lions and Vikings (3 wins) and then losing to the Packers, Cowboys, Falcons and Panthers (4 losses). Only the Cowboys loss was in the wild card round.

Either way, surely the raw probability of winning the super bowl is the best metric to look at if you're going to decide whether a team is a contender or not. What would the argument be for looking at any other stat?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Ah, you are right as to the losses. We didn’t even make the playoffs one of those years. My bad.

2019 beat Eagles Lost to Packers
2018 - Lost to Cowboys
2017 - missed playoffs
2016 - Beat Lions Lost to Falcons
2015 - Beat vikings Lost to Panthers

I did forget the Lions win. I suppose if you don’t make the playoffs at all you can’t factor that into your playoff record. So, 3 wins and 4 losses and one missed the playoffs. 3/7 is 43% winning percent in 5 years with one whiff.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Can you guess what these 7 teams have done the last 5 years,

Arizona 5
Cincinnati 5
Denver 5
Washington 5
NYJ 10
Tampa Bay 13
Cleveland 18

They have been preparing for the draft early. And obviously not well considering they have yet to change the script. Yes some are on the up and should break these runs but the point remains...A change could get another “Pete” like run of success or it could bring 5-18 years of suck

LTH

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":36aaphwe said:
zchurch74":36aaphwe said:

Let’s take a look...

Great post man!!!

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2hqz3l7g said:
Can you guess what these 7 teams have done the last 5 years,

Arizona 5
Cincinnati 5
Denver 5
Washington 5
NYJ 10
Tampa Bay 13
Cleveland 18

They have been preparing for the draft early. And obviously not well considering they have yet to change the script. Yes some are on the up and should break these runs but the point remains...A change could get another “Pete” like run of success or it could bring 5-18 years of suck

another great post... Dude ... you are ON IT!!!

LTH

Subzero717

Reaction score
Russ is on the worst stretch of his career and its Petes fault? Russ was horendous on Sunday.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":bc6od9uz said:
Sly, No confusion on the Wilson being unsatisfied with Carroll. He never said that. I didn't say he did.

But I will say that Wilson is very focused on what he wants. Remember the joke that said if you had the life Wilson had, you would believe the stuff he says too? It is clear he wants to leave a legacy and at some point he will realize (if not already) that he will not achieve the rest of that legacy under Carroll.

He wants to be in that conversation with Mahomes. You know he does. It is how he is wired.

So there is nothing being said that he is not satisfied with Carroll. No implication.

The one tiny bit is that his camp apparently threatened Carroll into throwing more this year. Ostensibly that is where the 'Let Russ Cook' phrase came from(...and why he might have wanted to trademark it, if his camp created it!). So it is certainly a crack in the armor and as Carroll has shifted away from Let Russ Cook, the door is open to create problems.

Ultimately this all comes down to Wilson. His camp was clearly pushing the narrative that he wants/needs more control of this offense. As he starts to assert control, over a coach that well known for being completely control oriented - we might have a potential for conflict.

And that is the key. What Wilson wants will drive whatever change happens.
IF, and that's a big IF, Wilson's camp is behind the "Let Russ Cook" stuff and as rumored-threatened Carroll into throwing more, Russell is heading toward an epic crash and burn. It would confirm all of the suspicions from people that say/think his personal brand has superseded the team and the game. I hope none of that is true. Forcing the team's hand to throw more, then having a mid-season stretch of shit QB play under that forced philosophy is tough to recover from mentally. If anyone in the organization ever came out to confirm that, Russell would be enemy #1 to Seattle fans forever and a laughing stock around the NFL. That is of course IF that big IF is true.

Latest posts