Tjack or Quinn (Update: TJack flying in for visit)

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Surprised that Jacksonfan hasn't weighed in and said how Tjack is coming in to take the starting job.

The Radish

Reaction score
The thing I find funny is everyone getting so damned worked up over it.

You folks have your opinion and I give it to you. I gave my reasons why I don't want to be on the same planet with the guy.

But many of you aren't content to just disagree you have to bust my chops because I feel that way.

Fie on you, we have to agree to disagree and I will cheerfully admit to being wrong if I am. Unlike many of you Jackson boosters that loved him when in my opinion he was sucking it up big time as our starter.

:les:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Vol pretty much nailed it. I want the best guy to back up Russ. If that is Jackson I will support (somewhat in fear) him as pur back up. The problem for me is I don't believe Jackson is a very good QB but in my defense I have a clue how to add and subtract and know for an absolute fact when your team ends the season at 7-9 and you lose 8 games, you are not a 500 QB.

It is my hope that Quinn was a victim of playing for one of the worst teams in the league against one of the touphest divisions and we haven't seen his best football. Jackson on the other hand has been very lucky in the systems he has played in and I just don't believe he has any more upside than we have already seen.

End result, if the FO believes Jackson is the best chance we have to win then I will support that decision and hope we never see him in a meaningful moment of play.

pehawk

Reaction score
Who was it that used "monkey with a typewriter" to describe TJack? And/or started the Tar slur? I honestly wasn't around for those times and am glad.

Yup, good times, good times abound with TJack threads. They're always on the up-and-up...just like the "NBA sucks now because the players are selfish" threads/posts.

kearly

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ek076es said:
I can't believe this thread has hit 8 pages. It's the friggin' backup QB, who cares?

I'm not sure what else we'd be talking about. That plus, for better or worse, backup QBs are a big topic at .net. Always have been, always will be.

Subzero717

Reaction score
kearly":3i1dplu7 said:
RolandDeschain":3i1dplu7 said:
I can't believe this thread has hit 8 pages. It's the friggin' backup QB, who cares?

I'm not sure what else we'd be talking about. That plus, for better or worse, backup QBs are a big topic at .net. Always have been, always will be.

They shouldn't be with a legit franchise QB as a starter.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
kearly":uqcmyman said:
RolandDeschain":uqcmyman said:

In related ex-backup QB news, the Mighty Flynn is sucking hard in Oakland thus far. :mrgreen: :stirthepot:

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2 ... more-21662

Suffice, in 19 years covering the NFL, today’s showing by Matt Flynn, Tyler Wilson, Terrelle Pryor and Matt McGloin rates as one of the worst in memory.

Time and again, balls were batted at the line of scrimmage, thrown behind receivers, thrown over receivers, delivered too high or just plain off the mark.

All four quarterbacks were just as guilty, with none of the four doing anything to distinguish himself today. Not that any of them seemed very concerned.

“Each and every day we’re going to want to come out and complete every pass and throw 10 touchdowns,” Flynn said. “But, realistically, right now everyone is still learning, everyone is learning each other, everyone is learning a new playbook. Things are coming. Things are formulating. But we have a long time until game one.”

Good thing, too, for it appears as if they are going to need as much time as they can get...

Sure enough, defenders batted down two of Pryor’s passes and four of Flynn’s, by Pryor’s estimation. Heck, it could have been more. It was tough to keep track of all the negative plays by the quarterbacks today.

Flynn and Allen added that quarterbacks also are burdened with having a lot thrown at them right now in terms of the playbook and defensive looks.

Fair enough, but that doesn’t explain fluttering passes, wobbly throws and errant passes time after time. Even two of Flynn’s completions came on throws that bore the marks of sure interceptions but somehow wound up in the hands of Marcel Reece and Denarius Moore, respectively, after nice adjustments of their routes.

kearly

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":stjso4t1 said:
kearly":stjso4t1 said:
RolandDeschain":stjso4t1 said:

They shouldn't be with a legit franchise QB as a starter.

Touche'.

volsunghawk":stjso4t1 said:
http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2013/06/11/notes-quotes-and-observations-from-mini-camp-day-1/#more-21662

FWIW, during last summer the earliest reports coming out of the training camp said that T-Jack looked the best of the three QBs. Then a few weeks later most people (especially Hawkblogger) said that Flynn was the set in stone front-runner. I didn't watch every practice, but they had several of them posted at .com and I watched those. I thought that Wilson was the best looking QB from day one and it was never close. Wilson got his chances in the preseason and the rest is history.

Point being, most sports writers would make terrible talent evaluators. Obviously, if it was Luck or RG3 doing the same exact things Wilson did competing with Flynn/T-Jack nobody would question he was the front-runner. Media types were blinded by Wilson's 3rd round status, and subconsciously they treated him like a typical mid-round QB early on even though he did impressive things from day one. So I wouldn't put too much stock in media evaluations, especially in June. Right now the media sees Matt Flynn as a journeyman and Tyler Wilson as mid round flier. Both are much better quarterbacks than those labels.

The Radish

Reaction score
Actually gang everyone has been pretty straight up about this devisive issue.

I also have to admit to knowing little or nothing about Quinn except what's been posted here. I just know I don't care for Jackson.

Think how boring it would be around here if we all agreed all the time, and gasp that Absolute might be right now and then?

:D

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2n4qy99d said:
kearly":2n4qy99d said:
RolandDeschain":2n4qy99d said:

In related ex-backup QB news, the Mighty Flynn is sucking hard in Oakland thus far. :mrgreen: :stirthepot:

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2 ... more-21662

Suffice, in 19 years covering the NFL, today’s showing by Matt Flynn, Tyler Wilson, Terrelle Pryor and Matt McGloin rates as one of the worst in memory.

Time and again, balls were batted at the line of scrimmage, thrown behind receivers, thrown over receivers, delivered too high or just plain off the mark.

All four quarterbacks were just as guilty, with none of the four doing anything to distinguish himself today. Not that any of them seemed very concerned.

“Each and every day we’re going to want to come out and complete every pass and throw 10 touchdowns,” Flynn said. “But, realistically, right now everyone is still learning, everyone is learning each other, everyone is learning a new playbook. Things are coming. Things are formulating. But we have a long time until game one.”

Good thing, too, for it appears as if they are going to need as much time as they can get...

Sure enough, defenders batted down two of Pryor’s passes and four of Flynn’s, by Pryor’s estimation. Heck, it could have been more. It was tough to keep track of all the negative plays by the quarterbacks today.

Flynn and Allen added that quarterbacks also are burdened with having a lot thrown at them right now in terms of the playbook and defensive looks.

Fair enough, but that doesn’t explain fluttering passes, wobbly throws and errant passes time after time. Even two of Flynn’s completions came on throws that bore the marks of sure interceptions but somehow wound up in the hands of Marcel Reece and Denarius Moore, respectively, after nice adjustments of their routes.

Flynn's too short.

Subzero717

Reaction score
The Radish":17qoenr9 said:

I also have to admit to knowing little or nothing about Quinn except what's been posted here. I just know I don't care for Jackson.

Think how boring it would be around here if we all agreed all the time, and gasp that Absolute might be right now and then?

Brady Quinn crash course.

He couldn't beat out Tim Tebow or Kyle Orton in Denver.

Tim Tebow couldn't beat out Mark Sanchez or Greg McElroy in NY.

gargantual

Reaction score
The Radish":bxfq52rz said:
Heh.

Seriously tho. I think Pete and his coaches did a pretty decent job deciding the outcome of the "dreaded" 3-way competition last off-season, while just about everyone was freaking about taking practice snaps away from whomever ended up being the starter.

In Pete and John we trust.....and all that.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm not even that down on Quinn, but there's certainly nothing that suggests he's above having some legit competition for the QB2 spot. It's entirely possible that T-Jack has lost some confidence after being shipped out of Seattle and getting buried in Buffalo. If he, however, is roughly the same player he was in 2011, then I think he's a great option at back-up, and I think it's entirely worth taking a look at him to see if that's the case.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1qzz9sdv said:
The Radish":1qzz9sdv said:

TJack crash course...

Couldn't beat Christian Ponder, Joe Webb or Gus Ferotte in Minnesota.
Couldn't beat Russell Wilson (rookie) and Matt Flynn in Seattle
Couldn't beat out Ryan FitzPatrick, EJ Manuel, Kevin Kolb in Buffalo.

Yes, TJack knows the offense but he's also proven that he can't execute the offense. I know rocket science but doesn't mean I can execute the functions of an astronaut.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
The only thing known for certain is that Tjack cant run a NFL offense. Only way he gets signed is because he communicates well with Russel in film study. 2011 Seahawks offense made me sick and any offense Tjack has ran. I rather try anything else at least there would be hope of success. You know what your getting with Tjack and that's a terrible offense.

The Outfield

Reaction score
hawkfan68":235lseq1 said:
CALIHAWK1":235lseq1 said:
The Radish":235lseq1 said:

TJack crash course...

Couldn't beat Christian Ponder, Joe Webb or Gus Ferotte in Minnesota.
Couldn't beat Russell Wilson (rookie) and Matt Flynn in Seattle
Couldn't beat out Ryan FitzPatrick, EJ Manuel, Kevin Kolb in Buffalo.

Yes, TJack knows the offense but he's also proven that he can't execute the offense. I know rocket science but doesn't mean I can execute the functions of an astronaut.

Two can play that game. Brady Quinn crash course...

Couldn't beat Charlie Frye or Derek Anderson (until they got desperate) in Cleveland
Couldn't beat Kyle Orton or Tim Tebow in Denver
Couldn't beat Matt Cassel in Kansas City

Latest posts