Tjack or Quinn (Update: TJack flying in for visit)

The Radish

Reaction score
You people break me up!

On the record: I THINK TARVARIS JACKSON WOULD MAKE A GREAT BACK UP TO THE GUY THAT JUST DROVE THE TRUCK THAT PICKED UP MY TRASH CAN!! And you can take that to the bank.

For pluses you are saying, he's tough, he's liked in the locker room, (how the hell does that compute to not seeing wide open receivers is beyond me), he played hurt, he has a great arm, he's had lots of experience,(at not cutting it)

This is from many of the same people who hated him and wanted him gone just a short time ago.

Now his minuses,,,,,,,He should be called Statue of Liberty Jackson because that's how mobile he is, he can't turn his head to the left, he sees one receiver, he sees the blitz coming about 1 time is 24 and that's one of the reasons he's hurt so much.

Have you already forgotten watching him play? Has it been that long ago? He is one of the reasons many of you are calling for us to get rid of one of our best receivers because he disappeared completely the year Jackson was here.(yes I mean Rice) And it wasn't because he wasn't open. It got funny, defenders didn't bother to cover our left side very well because they knew he wasn't going to throw it that way. I know all of you saw open receivers over there that could have crawled on their hands and knees for a TD because they were so wide open.

Now I almost always agree with Kip on his calls and I'm not even suggesting I know as much about the game as he does. But not this time. Jackson's time here is over and has been since midway through the season he was our starter. He has shown that the pro game is just to fast for him. I said before he seems to be very intelligent but can't get the info from his head out to his hand/arm quickly enough. "Book smart" rarely gets it done in the NFL. Look at Terry Bradshaw who as far as I'm concerened was one of the best of all times. He had a terrible time in school. But put him on a football field and he made the correct decisions and acted on them. Not many QBs have won 4 SBs and he is one.

So count me on the minus side of the chart for Jackson. Personally I like the guy but not as a Seattle Seahawk. Unlike many of you I remember the misery of having him here before.

:141847_bnono:

pehawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3i4z2108 said:
Throwdown":3i4z2108 said:
RolandDeschain":3i4z2108 said:
I can't believe this thread has hit 8 pages. It's the friggin' backup QB, who cares?

A lot of people, cant you read?

That would explain a lot...

You sure are obsessed with Roland.

Tjack would be a top 5 backup, BUT, not as doable topless like Brady Quinn. It's that age old questions; do you marry with your heart or crotch?

I'd want both. As Burt Reynold's keen to saying "lollipop in the mouth butter in the (bleep)"

Quinngay5

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
The Radish":3ox8maqs said:
You people break me up!

On the record: I THINK TARVARIS JACKSON WOULD MAKE A GREAT BACK UP TO THE GUY THAT JUST DROVE THE TRUCK THAT PICKED UP MY TRASH CAN!! And you can take that to the bank.

For pluses you are saying, he's tough, he's liked in the locker room, (how the hell does that compute to not seeing wide open receivers is beyond me), he played hurt, he has a great arm, he's had lots of experience,(at not cutting it)

This is from many of the same people who hated him and wanted him gone just a short time ago.

Now his minuses,,,,,,,He should be called Statue of Liberty Jackson because that's how mobile he is, he can't turn his head to the left, he sees one receiver, he sees the blitz coming about 1 time is 24 and that's one of the reasons he's hurt so much.

Have you already forgotten watching him play? Has it been that long ago? He is one of the reasons many of you are calling for us to get rid of one of our best receivers because he disappeared completely the year Jackson was here.(yes I mean Rice) And it wasn't because he wasn't open. It got funny, defenders didn't bother to cover our left side very well because they knew he wasn't going to throw it that way. I know all of you saw open receivers over there that could have crawled on their hands and knees for a TD because they were so wide open.

Now I almost always agree with Kip on his calls and I'm not even suggesting I know as much about the game as he doe. But not this time. Jackson's time here is over and has been since midway through the season he was our starter. He has shown that the pro game is just to fast for him. I said before he seems to be very intelligent but can't get the info from his head out to his hand/arm quickly enough. "Book smart" rarely gets it done in the NFL. Look at Terry Bradshaw who as far as I'm concerened was one of the best of all times. He had a terrible time in school. But put him on a football field and he made the correct decisions and acted on them. Not many QBs have won 4 SBs and he is one.

So count me on the minus side of the chart for Jackson. Personally I like the guy but not as a Seattle Seahawk. Unlike many of you I remember the misery of having him here before.

Agree, it was nightmare after nightmare when he was are starter, why would we want him back when he has proven he is not a good QB. I am sure he is a great guy but that does not help win games.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I'm on the minus side, too, for Jackson. I don't know how I feel about Quinn other than I'm just not very excited at all about him, either.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The Radish":1ir2weba said:
You people break me up!

Now I almost always agree with Kip on his calls and I'm not even suggesting I know as much about the game as he does. But not this time. Jackson's time here is over and has been since midway through the season he was our starter. He has shown that the pro game is just to fast for him. I said before he seems to be very intelligent but can't get the info from his head out to his hand/arm quickly enough. "Book smart" rarely gets it done in the NFL. Look at Terry Bradshaw who as far as I'm concerened was one of the best of all times. He had a terrible time in school. But put him on a football field and he made the correct decisions and acted on them. Not many QBs have won 4 SBs and he is one.

How many back up qb's in this league don't have similar issues that Jackson has? There is a reason why a lot of these guys are still backups. We don't need a guy to develop behind Wilson. Wilson is our long term answer. What we need is a guy who can work well under our system and come in when necessary. A backups job isn't to carry the team. Many like myself didn't think Jackson was starter quality before he came here or even while he was here or after he left. None of that means we necessarily wanted him gone. It is possible to think a guy isn't capable of being a long term starter, while still believing he can fill a role as backup. He's most definitely no worse than Quinn, so why not bring him in to compete for the spot?

TaterHawk

Reaction score
Can’t read a D
Can’t make adjustments
Can’t remember plays
Can’t get to a second read
Can’t see what he is given
Can’t manage time
Can’t get out of trouble
Can’t throw the ball away
Never any mention of his film study, prep…nothing
No chance of getting better (ever)
Upside? Can throw a wicked jump pass over pretend defenders that only he can see, and He knows how to get to the V-Mac

Great guy though!

SE174

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":1cpwyal4 said:
The Radish":1cpwyal4 said:
You people break me up!

Now I almost always agree with Kip on his calls and I'm not even suggesting I know as much about the game as he doe. But not this time. Jackson's time here is over and has been since midway through the season he was our starter. He has shown that the pro game is just to fast for him. I said before he seems to be very intelligent but can't get the info from his head out to his hand/arm quickly enough. "Book smart" rarely gets it done in the NFL. Look at Terry Bradshaw who as far as I'm concerened was one of the best of all times. He had a terrible time in school. But put him on a football field and he made the correct decisions and acted on them. Not many QBs have won 4 SBs and he is one.

Agree, it was nightmare after nightmare when he was are starter, why would we want him back when he has proven he is not a good QB. I am sure he is a great guy but that does not help win games.

I think a lot of you are forgetting that we're not bringing him in to be our starter. He's not even guaranteed to be the backup. He's coming in to compete. Out of QBs that are currently available, who would you rather us have as a backup?

dbsn2420

Reaction score
This Offense is much better than when TJax was here as a starter. If Wilson goes down and Jax has to come in, I'm pretty sure PC will hammer him to play smart and not take risks. So what if he hangs on to the ball too much I'd rather him throw it away late or take a sack and let our D play rather then try and force the ball down field.

Unfortunately we won't know until pre-season is underway; ultimately, you either have confidence in PC and JS to make the right decision to give this team the best shot at winning under various circumstances, or you don't. In looking at the decisions they've made, I think PC and JS have earned that confidence.

As smart as Wilson plays It probably won't be an issue anyway!

Subzero717

Reaction score
TaterHawk":3v7lajt1 said:
Can’t read a D
Can’t make adjustments
Can’t remember plays
Can’t get to a second read
Can’t see what he is given
Can’t manage time
Can’t get out of trouble
Can’t throw the ball away
No chance of getting better (ever)
Upside? Can throw a wicked jump pass over pretend defenders that only he can see, and He knows how to get to the V-Mac

Great guy though!

And Quinn does which one of those things a lot better?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
TaterHawk":1kw5g789 said:

EJ Manuel said he was great in the QB room. Doug Baldwin said he had unbelievable knowledge of the game and could have a lot of insight for Russell.

There's some mentions.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Jackson us a known while Quinn is not. We know that Jackson isn't capable of 500 when you throw in multiple back QB's. Quinn is unknown in what he could do in a good system.

Remember how much everyone hated Jackson before he was a Seahawk and how many new guys showed up to tell us how he never was given a chance in Minnesota? All Jackson did was prove the Vikings weren't the problem. Maybe Quinn can prove otherwise. He haa definitely had a much thought road and was still able to put together a couple decent games.

Our system is good enough that he won't be asked to do what he has been asked to do so far. Maybe he gains some confidence and develops the way Alex with did. It sounds like he has the right attitude and work ethic and the truth is this system doesn't require the QB to be a complete stud. If he is forced onto the field he will be fed the playbook as is needed while we rely on our running game and defense.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
T-Jack's career W/L in games started: 17-17. In Seattle, he was 7-7.

I challenge anyone to find a QB with a better track record who can probably be had for around the vet minimum. This is a perfect situation for Seattle, and I've secretly been hoping it would come to this for the last couple months.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Anybody against him being our backup is just harboring biased hatred, in my opinion. I don't want him to ever start another game for us, but let's be realistic, here; he's a quality backup for any team because he won't just lose you a ton of games.

Those that don't want him as a backup...Get over yourselves.

NYCoug

Reaction score
DavidSeven":keumd149 said:
TaterHawk":keumd149 said:

EJ Manuel said he was great in the QB room. Doug Baldwin said he had unbelievable knowledge of the game and could have a lot of insight for Russell.

There's some mentions.

Not to mention he'd be studying with and working with one of the great preparation junkies of our era. If Wilson were ever to go down (*knocks on wood with crossed fingers and toes) with an injury, he'd then be one of the guys in Jackson's ear, which would no doubt be of at least minor help. We just need someone back there who can do his best Jeff Hostetler imitation if the crap hits the fan. Has Brady Quinn proved unquestionably that he can be that guy? Enough so to not have to compete for the #2 job with as many challengers as possible? I don't think so, and I think that's why the Hawks are flying in Jackson for a look having now seen more of Quinn first hand. Not only is the offense better than when TJack was last here, the whole team is. Not to mention it would be well received in the locker room, with is almost worth the move alone for an upgrade at the backup QB position.

It's like every other week this offseason there's been a guy that I've wanted the Hawks to sign that ends up visiting with the team a few days later. The last few have gone very well (Avril, Bennett, Winfield), I hope this visit goes just as smoothly.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I agree with the Radish's entire post.

What intrigues me is that no one questions Jackson's athleticism. He's actually reticent to run as he wants to prove he's a pocket QB, but the guy can run, and he can also take a hit. I'd be curious how he would perform in a read option attack.

The Read/Option slowed things down for RG3 and condensed the field for him. Griffin rarely had to hit his 3rd option, as his offense created a lot of mismatches and his average WR corps got easy separation.

Could Jackson benefit from this ? I'd say probably. Could he go .500 for us if Wilson went down ? I'd say yes....he went .500 for us with a less talented team. All you can ask of your backup is to go .500 and hold on until your starter can get back in.

It would also create some interesting competition: is Jackson or Quinn better ? I forget the name of our current 3rd stringer, but he was intriguing. How would he stack up against Jackson ? Just some additional flavor to the offseason.