Tjack or Quinn (Update: TJack flying in for visit)

razgriz737

Reaction score
kidhawk":3gtrfarq said:
The Radish":3gtrfarq said:
You people break me up!

On the record: I THINK TARVARIS JACKSON WOULD MAKE A GREAT BACK UP TO THE GUY THAT JUST DROVE THE TRUCK THAT PICKED UP MY TRASH CAN!! And you can take that to the bank.

For pluses you are saying, he's tough, he's liked in the locker room, (how the hell does that compute to not seeing wide open receivers is beyond me), he played hurt, he has a great arm, he's had lots of experience,(at not cutting it)

This is from many of the same people who hated him and wanted him gone just a short time ago.

Now his minuses,,,,,,,He should be called Statue of Liberty Jackson because that's how mobile he is, he can't turn his head to the left, he sees one receiver, he sees the blitz coming about 1 time is 24 and that's one of the reasons he's hurt so much.

Have you already forgotten watching him play? Has it been that long ago? He is one of the reasons many of you are calling for us to get rid of one of our best receivers because he disappeared completely the year Jackson was here.(yes I mean Rice) And it wasn't because he wasn't open. It got funny, defenders didn't bother to cover our left side very well because they knew he wasn't going to throw it that way. I know all of you saw open receivers over there that could have crawled on their hands and knees for a TD because they were so wide open.

Now I almost always agree with Kip on his calls and I'm not even suggesting I know as much about the game as he does. But not this time. Jackson's time here is over and has been since midway through the season he was our starter. He has shown that the pro game is just to fast for him. I said before he seems to be very intelligent but can't get the info from his head out to his hand/arm quickly enough. "Book smart" rarely gets it done in the NFL. Look at Terry Bradshaw who as far as I'm concerened was one of the best of all times. He had a terrible time in school. But put him on a football field and he made the correct decisions and acted on them. Not many QBs have won 4 SBs and he is one.

So count me on the minus side of the chart for Jackson. Personally I like the guy but not as a Seattle Seahawk. Unlike many of you I remember the misery of having him here before.

:141847_bnono:

How many back up qb's in this league don't have similar issues that Jackson has? There is a reason why a lot of these guys are still backups. We don't need a guy to develop behind Wilson. Wilson is our long term answer. What we need is a guy who can work well under our system and come in when necessary. A backups job isn't to carry the team. Many like myself didn't think Jackson was starter quality before he came here or even while he was here or after he left. None of that means we necessarily wanted him gone. It is possible to think a guy isn't capable of being a long term starter, while still believing he can fill a role as backup. He's most definitely no worse than Quinn, so why not bring him in to compete for the spot?
My thoughts exactly. I think some people got too used to having Flynn as a backup. Usually teams don't get to have backups of that quality. Jackson is familiar with the system, and the worst case scenario is he doesn't make the team.

Subzero717

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2d08gkrh said:
Jackson us a known while Quinn is not. We know that Jackson isn't capable of 500 when you throw in multiple back QB's. Quinn is unknown in what he could do in a good system.

Remember how much everyone hated Jackson before he was a Seahawk and how many new guys showed up to tell us how he never was given a chance in Minnesota? All Jackson did was prove the Vikings weren't the problem. Maybe Quinn can prove otherwise. He haa definitely had a much thought road and was still able to put together a couple decent games.

Our system is good enough that he won't be asked to do what he has been asked to do so far. Maybe he gains some confidence and develops the way Alex with did. It sounds like he has the right attitude and work ethic and the truth is this system doesn't require the QB to be a complete stud. If he is forced onto the field he will be fed the playbook as is needed while we rely on our running game and defense.

Even though he is a 500 starter he isn't. Makes total sense. The fact that Brady has been in the league how many years yet he is an unknown to you makes even more sense.

Throwdown

Reaction score
TJ BACK! TJ BACK!

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5h
Former Bills QB Tarvaris Jackson expected to sign a one-year deal with Seattle, where he once was Seahawks' captain.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Reports are in that Jackson signed 1 yr deal (NBCSports)

Why? Look at each (Tjack and Quinn) players best year

Quinn 2009
1,339 yards, 8 TDs, 7 INTs, 53.1% CMP, 67.2 Rating

Jackson 2011

3,091 yards, 14 TDs, 13 INTs, 60.2% CMP, 79.2 Rating

Whoever gets the spot needs to earn it.

The Radish

Reaction score
Silly me.....I'm not the least interested in a backup that can win 50% of his games till our starter gets well. What if our starter is out for a year? You ready for 8-8 again? What a dumb goal to shoot for.

Silly me.....I want a backup that can come in and manage the team and keep them moving forward PERIOD!

Silly me.....I want a backup that is a good/fair reader of defenses.

Silly me.....I want a backup that can/will see the entire field giving himself and the team the best options offered. (and not take minutes doing it)

Silly me.....I want a QB that now and then can run with the ball effectively.

Silly me.....I want a QB that can see an opening whatever it is and react to it quickly rather than counting to 5 to be sure its really open.

SILLY YOU.......for thinking Jackson is any of those!! :roll:

:cry:

Remember the question I asked years ago???? If Matt Hasslebeck is the answer what the hell is the question? Well I was wrong then but damned if can see any glimmer of me being wrong here.

I'll be waiting for him to drop back in the pocket ignoring a wide open Sidney Rice open on the left flat while looking only center right having an opening to Tate if he throws it RIGHT NOW but hesitates to be sure he's open and loses the opptunity and then gets sacked fumbling the ball. Anc coming up with an injury that he will continue to play with and everyone will say its only because of his injury.

And I will say,,,,,,,told you so......

Throwdown

Reaction score
The Radish":35b45mpi said:
Silly me.....I'm not the least interested in a backup that can win 50% of his games till our starter gets well. What if our starter is out for a year? You ready for 8-8 again? What a dumb goal to shoot for.

Silly me.....I want a backup that can come in and manage the team and keep them moving forward PERIOD!

Silly me.....I want a backup that can/will see the entire field giving himself and the team the best options offered. (and not take minutes doing it)

Silly me.....I want a QB that can see an opening whatever it is and react to it quickly rather than counting to 5 to be sure its really open.

Well they're a back up for a reason, Wilson goes down and we're screwed either way IMO.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The Radish":ils04a9l said:

If you are counting on your backup to be a worthy starter than you are dreaming Les, Really, how many teams have backups who can jump in and start and take their teams to the super bowl? Sure it CAN happen, but it's not the norm. Usually when you get a backup who is that good, he ends up moving either by trade or free agency to a place where he can start and make more money. When you have a long term starter at quarterback, you have to lower the expectations a little for the backup. He won't be starter quality unless you decide to draft one. Quinn most definitely isn't ready to put a team on his back to win games, he's proven such. Jackson can't either, although he has been qb of a team in and taken them to the playoffs.

As for Jackson, he did win half of his games here as a starter with a team not nearly as experienced and not quite as talented as the one we have now. We got Russell Wilson to lead this team for the long term. We need a qb in the backup role for emergency duties. Whether it's Quinn or Jackson, if Wilson goes down, don't expect us to win a lot of games without a lot of help from the defensive side of the ball.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
The Radish":bkqo0y1p said:

Remember the question I asked years ago???? If Matt Hasslebeck is the answer what the hell is the question? Well I was wrong then but damned if can see any glimmer of me being wrong here.

I'll be waiting for him to drop back in the pocket ignoring a wide open Sidney Rice open on the left flat while looking only center right having an opening to Tate if he throws it RIGHT NOW but hesitates to be sure he's open and loses the opptunity and then gets sacked fumbling the ball. Anc coming up with an injury that he will continue to play with and everyone will say its only because of his injury.

+1

Subzero717

Reaction score
The Radish":d9m7th27 said:

So which QB on the roster does any of those things well besides Wilson? And Wilson missed Rice plenty.

A back up QB according to Bill Polian is a guy that can come in and win half of the games when your starter goes down.

razgriz737

Reaction score
The Radish":992xm8cu said:

Do Brady Quinn or Jerod Johnson really meet the requirements you just listed? If not, then I don't see why Jackson is any worse of an option.

EDIT: Realized I wrote "Jeron"

The Radish

Reaction score
David,,,are you trying to tell me that David Greene couldn't have led us to victory?

Of course you are.

I'm just trying to make the point that Jackson has been a dud where ever he played why does anyone think that's changed in the last year/

I'd much rather have someone green that we can teach our system than someone who obviously has no system and does it well. Send him down to Oakland to play with our other backup.

:les:

kidhawk

Reaction score
The Radish":344g0xmm said:
David,,,are you trying to tell me that David Greene couldn't have led us to victory?

Of course you are.

I'm just trying to make the point that Jackson has been a dud where ever he played why does anyone think that's changed in the last year/

I'd much rather have someone green that we can teach our system than someone who obviously has no system and does it well. Send him down to Oakland to play with our other backup.

:les:

Never said much about David Greene ever, but back to the point here.

My point is, that purely looking at our backup position....we have our starter, and there is no competition for that position...I think we can agree on that....tell me two things. One, how is signing Jackson to compete with Quinn for the backup role bad for the team, and two, do you honestly believe Quinn will lead us to victory if Wilson goes down with a long term injury?

I obviously agree that Jackson isn't starter material, but what is the harm in having him earn the backup spot against quinn?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The Radish":ytdcnoiz said:

Exactly how many NFL back-up QBs do you estimate could win 10 or more games in a season? How many of them are being paid around vet minimum with virtually no negative implication on the team's cap situation? Pete and John have obviously not spotted any young prospects (besides Johnson) who they feel is worth developing. There were a number available in the later rounds of the draft, and we passed on all of them.

If you can count on your back-up QB to go .500, you probably have one of the five or six best back-up QBs in the league.

hawker84

Reaction score
As it's been stated before, RW goes down, we're screwed with either Jackson or Quinn, i'd rather have a back up who's had some success in the league.. Quinn is not a good QB, back up or not.

Basis4day

Reaction score
The Radish":3pgyquqk said:

There are starters in the league that don't meet the criteria you described, let alone backup QBs.

You're trying to have it both ways. If you want a green player, he's not going to have all of those criteria. If you want a vet that has all those criteria, you're going to find that hes starting for another team.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I can't believe some people are actually upset that brady quinn's job as a backup is in jeopardy.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1hmdw75s said:
The Radish":1hmdw75s said:

There are starters in the league that don't meet the criteria you described, let alone backup QBs.

You're trying to have it both ways. If you want a green player, he's not going to have all of those criteria. If you want a vet that has all those criteria, you're going to find that hes starting for another team.

And that sums it up nicely. I noted before in this thread that I'm curious about what Quinn can bring, but not to the degree that I'll be heartbroken if he doesn't stick as the backup.

In the end, our QB situation is likely to look like this:

1. Wilson as unquestioned starter.
2. Quinn and Jackson battling it out to be the backup.
3. Johnson as the developmental project.

If Jackson is as bad as many people here make him out to be, Quinn should beat him out easily, and he'll be gone. It's not like we're going to cut a cheap developmental project guy just to keep TJack on as a 3rd stringer.

And if Jackson beats out Quinn, then I guess that means Quinn is even WORSE at all of these listed things than Jackson is, and keeping Quinn around would be an even bigger mistake.

I simply don't see the point in all this teeth-gnashing over bringing in competition at the backup QB position. Jackson is most definitely a flawed QB that few teams would want as a starter, but he's got the ability to be a suitable backup - and it's not like Quinn has proven anything more than Jackson has in his career. So let the two guys compete and hand the winner a clipboard and hand the loser his walking papers.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
volsunghawk":16dez451 said:
Basis4day":16dez451 said:
The Radish":16dez451 said:

And that sums it up nicely. I noted before in this thread that I'm curious about what Quinn can bring, but not to the degree that I'll be heartbroken if he doesn't stick as the backup.

In the end, our QB situation is likely to look like this:

1. Wilson as unquestioned starter.
2. Quinn and Jackson battling it out to be the backup.
3. Johnson as the developmental project.

If Jackson is as bad as many people here make him out to be, Quinn should beat him out easily, and he'll be gone. It's not like we're going to cut a cheap developmental project guy just to keep TJack on as a 3rd stringer.

And if Jackson beats out Quinn, then I guess that means Quinn is even WORSE at all of these listed things than Jackson is, and keeping Quinn around would be an even bigger mistake.

I simply don't see the point in all this teeth-gnashing over bringing in competition at the backup QB position. Jackson is most definitely a flawed QB that few teams would want as a starter, but he's got the ability to be a suitable backup - and it's not like Quinn has proven anything more than Jackson has in his career. So let the two guys compete and hand the winner a clipboard and hand the loser his walking papers.
+1