"Time To Throw" for Seahawks--according to USA Today

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There's nothing middle of the road about this team. 10 wins, the bust running game in the league, and one of the best finishers in the league under center. If this team brings their A game, they can beat ANYONE, including the paper champions in LA.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":1erfbfhp said:
The only problem I have with this offense is that within it, there is no urgency to sustain drives and score points. We are perfectly happy to run 6-7 plays and punt in games where the score is close. What this does is it gives the appearance that we are playing down to the teams we should be blowing out and hanging tough with teams on our level—its why we vastly look inconsistent and constantly remain under everyone’s radar. National pundits SAW us beat the Chiefs on national TV and then they HEARD we lost to the 49’ers in Santa Clara. They have no frame of reference that we were penalized more than we’ve ever been before, or that we played with no urgency to score. I’ve heard that loss mentioned several times as a reason we lose on Saturday, without any context. Our offense is great, the plays we run are great—they are not called with any sense of urgency until they have to be. The only time we are going to blow someone out is when the defense and/or the special teams exceed and join the party.

Speaking of special teams and weaknesses. Yeah, ST is it for us and we can’t have that. The last time these teams met in the playoffs, it came down to ST—let’s not forget.

No team is "perfectly happy to run 6-7 plays and punt."

Pete has a script he likes to stick to, because he knows that's the best chance we have to win. The script is;

- establish the run game so it pays dividends in the 4th quarter wearing down the other team
- don't turn the ball over, because when you lose the turnover battle, you lose the game
- play to Russell's strengths, which is play action opening up passing lanes and explosive plays
- bend but don't break defense

That's his formula, that's ALWAYS been his formula. So that's what you're seeing. When we lose? It's when we turned the ball over, made special teams mistakes, and played sloppy on defense allowing other teams to dictate and stay in games.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1xkd11bt said:
There's nothing middle of the road about this team. 10 wins, the bust running game in the league, and one of the best finishers in the league under center. If this team brings their A game, they can beat ANYONE, including the paper champions in LA.

Our intermediate passing game is a big weakness. Kick coverage is mediocre as well. That’s pretty much it.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3palo7px said:
KARAVARUS":3palo7px said:
The only problem I have with this offense is that within it, there is no urgency to sustain drives and score points. We are perfectly happy to run 6-7 plays and punt in games where the score is close. What this does is it gives the appearance that we are playing down to the teams we should be blowing out and hanging tough with teams on our level—its why we vastly look inconsistent and constantly remain under everyone’s radar. National pundits SAW us beat the Chiefs on national TV and then they HEARD we lost to the 49’ers in Santa Clara. They have no frame of reference that we were penalized more than we’ve ever been before, or that we played with no urgency to score. I’ve heard that loss mentioned several times as a reason we lose on Saturday, without any context. Our offense is great, the plays we run are great—they are not called with any sense of urgency until they have to be. The only time we are going to blow someone out is when the defense and/or the special teams exceed and join the party.

Speaking of special teams and weaknesses. Yeah, ST is it for us and we can’t have that. The last time these teams met in the playoffs, it came down to ST—let’s not forget.

No team is "perfectly happy to run 6-7 plays and punt."

Pete has a script he likes to stick to, because he knows that's the best chance we have to win. The script is;

- establish the run game so it pays dividends in the 4th quarter wearing down the other team
- don't turn the ball over, because when you lose the turnover battle, you lose the game
- play to Russell's strengths, which is play action opening up passing lanes and explosive plays
- bend but don't break defense

That's his formula, that's ALWAYS been his formula. So that's what you're seeing. When we lose? It's when we turned the ball over, made special teams mistakes, and played sloppy on defense allowing other teams to dictate and stay in games.

I don’t have a problem with you correcting me—its All opinions after all. What I see is a lack of urgency in calling plays that will lead to first downs. If that’s part of a script and they aren’t changing it given the situation, then it’s EXACTLY what I’m talking about. If there was urgency to score, you’d manipulate said script to continue moving the ball. I simply disagree with you about them being perfectly happy to punt after flipping some field. You can’t tell me about a script (I don’t mean just scripted plays, either) and on the same hand tell me that sticking to that script no matter the situation, shows urgency. I don’t feel our takes are that far off. What I’m saying is, if you can score points when you HAVE TO, you can probably do that when you don’t. We don’t do that. We do just enough to hang around and hope to close and cash in at the end. Outlasting teams is an okay strategy when it works.

Oh, and does anyone here NOT KNOW what we’re doing when we start a drive inside our own 7-8 yard line? Those drives are not designed to score, unless we have to score to win. Otherwise, we are generic and making room for the punter.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Is this the same publication that said we would only win 4 games this year?