There is no doubt in my mind Harvin plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1bp7euhk said:
soxhawk":1bp7euhk said:
I still think he plays. Otherwise, SF's move of picking up Boldin (who plays through everything) might trump our move of picking up Harvin this year.

Regardless of what happens with Harvin, that trade for Boldin was an utter stroke of genius for San Fran. It may have also come about with a healthy degree of nepotism, but that really doesn't matter now. The season they have gotten out of Anquan for a 6th round pick is just ridiculous.

TBF I think it was more a stroke of luck than genius. They didn't know Crabtree would be on IR when they traded for Boldin, and they had also struck out two years in a row on a "Boldin type" player before getting him (Braylon Edwards, and then Randy Moss).

That said, I don't think nepotism came into play with Boldin. Rather, it was once again luck. The Ravens were 48 hours away from cutting Boldin (part of the exodus due to Flacco's contract), and the 9ers were the only team for whom it was advantageous to "overpay him" (the thought at the time) for a year rather than sign him to a new contract. Basically they were the only squad to offer anything for a player who was about to be cut b/c they had the cap space to pay his salary for this seaso, but not to pay for a new, lower contract over multiple years because they need to clear out more cap room after this season.

Put another way Boldin is basically the 9ers version of Michael Bennett (another weird situation, in that Bennett hated Schiano so much that he picked a one year rental over re-signing with them).

HawkFan72

Reaction score
VinceDee":388o80lw said:
It's not up to him. Period.

This. If it were up to him, he'd be in there, do doubt.

But the NFL has taken concussions out of the hands of the players and the team. It's not up to Harvin or the coaches.

Allweatherfan

Reaction score
I keep reading on here that he has "failed" tests. That is not the case from what I have read. There is a protocol to be followed and it requires cognitive testing comparisons to the baseline testing. Then light physical work, and increasing the physical work over a time period.

I have not read anywhere that this requires practice with the team. Which is where I believe readers/posters/reporters are passing on misinformation. Not practicing with the team does not mean he has "failed" tests, in fact, the tests are not even given a pass/fail grade. They are considered additional data for the physician to consider.

For all we know, Harvin has progressed just fine and is continuing the evaluation process. He does not have to be a participant in practice to be cleared to play.

"This unaffiliated expert also must sign off on the player's health before he is allowed to return to play."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Teqneek":1wwua1o6 said:
Sgt. Largent":1wwua1o6 said:
DavidSeven":1wwua1o6 said:
HOWEVER, I think Danny O'Neil misquoted Pete this morning. His exact words: "I haven't heard on what's going on with the doctors today yet. We won't know for a while."

The point is he didn't pass his test yesterday afternoon. Of course he hasn't had it done yet today, but IMO it's too late. I highly doubt Pete let's him play after just one day of limited participation.

Link? I wanted to see where he didn't pass his test yesterday, your printed out version of his schedule of when hes go to the doctors and when he was tested etc.

"They keep this stuff close to the vest" yadayada, then half of you come out an discount anything you ever said preiviously..lol

I'm confused. This is not a gray area. The league concussion protocol is this, each day at the team's request a series of tests are done. If the player fails the tests, then those same tests can be done again the next day, and the day after up until Sunday.

If Pete's on the radio this morning saying that Harvin still hasn't been cleared, then there's your answer as to whether he passed the concussion testing yesterday. That answer is no. If he passed, then Pete would have said that this morning.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
I was listening to the podcast and Carroll didn't say that Harvin was in or out. He hadn't been advised by the doctors yet. Until he isn't cleared, I think we should just wait for the official word.

seany_seahawk5

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":iwi7qd35 said:
I was listening to the podcast and Carroll didn't say that Harvin was in or out. He hadn't been advised by the doctors yet. Until he isn't cleared, I think we should just wait for the official word.

We will know in a few hours anyway just have to keep patience

Fully believe without him we are still to much for the 9ers

Especially at home

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kw8i66b said:
Teqneek":2kw8i66b said:
Sgt. Largent":2kw8i66b said:
DavidSeven":2kw8i66b said:
HOWEVER, I think Danny O'Neil misquoted Pete this morning. His exact words: "I haven't heard on what's going on with the doctors today yet. We won't know for a while."

The point is he didn't pass his test yesterday afternoon. Of course he hasn't had it done yet today, but IMO it's too late. I highly doubt Pete let's him play after just one day of limited participation.

Link? I wanted to see where he didn't pass his test yesterday, your printed out version of his schedule of when hes go to the doctors and when he was tested etc.

"They keep this stuff close to the vest" yadayada, then half of you come out an discount anything you ever said preiviously..lol

I'm confused. This is not a gray area. The league concussion protocol is this, each day at the team's request a series of tests are done. If the player fails the tests, then those same tests can be done again the next day, and the day after up until Sunday.

If Pete's on the radio this morning saying that Harvin still hasn't been cleared, then there's your answer as to whether he passed the concussion testing yesterday. That answer is no. If he passed, then Pete would have said that this morning.

That's incorrect. Not being cleared and failing a test are two separate things. The protocol is a series of tests that occur over a number of days. The timeline is set by the doctors. Just because he hasn't been cleared for games or practice yesterday afternoon does not mean he necessarily failed any test.

You seem to suggest that the protocol entails taking the same tests every day until you pass. That's not how it works.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Does the protocol really need to be posted again? Hasn't everybody read it by now?

RCATES

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":369pgh59 said:

I just now listened to the Podcast and it blows my mind of how some of you took what Pete said "We don't know yet" as Percy hasn't passed the test yet and isn't playing and got everyone here rattled earlier.

Basis4day

Reaction score
RCATES":1aqm73p1 said:
seahawk12thman":1aqm73p1 said:

I just now listened to the Podcast and it blows my mind of how some of you took what Pete said "We don't know yet" as Percy hasn't passed the test yet and isn't playing and got everyone here rattled earlier.

It's not too hard to explain. Ever play the game "telephone"?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Everyone here seems to be under the assumption that Harvin's status is going to be ruled by the 'If he doesn't practice, he doesn't play" scenario.

I think holmgren used to have this general rule, if a guy doesn't practice wednesday he doesn't play sunday.

I don't think you can apply that to this situation. Percy is a factor whether he practices or not. He knows how to go run a route.

Depending on how the protocols go today and tomorrow he could still end up playing until he's officially ruled out.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If he's failed tests in successive days, it's highly likely he's not playing on Sunday.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":tqelssek said:
seabowl":tqelssek said:
austinslater25":tqelssek said:
Its definitely not too late. If he clears at the last minute he will play. He hasn't practiced much all year if he's cleared he plays. They are a game out from the Super Bowl.

This

I would tend to agree. He will have all offseason to recover, starting either next monday or the monday after the super bowl. No reason to hold anything back if the docs clear him. You never know when or if you will ever get this close to a superbowl win again.

Gotta keep in mind that this is a person's brain we're talking about here. If he's sustained a concussion the standard "he has all off-season to recover" may not apply.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 30m
Key for @Percy_Harvin is not whether he is cleared today. Key is if he has started graduated return to activity. If not, then won't play.

I think he needs to practice today in either a fully or limited fashion for any shot at clearance by Sunday.

oasis

Reaction score
The reason the key is whether he "graduates to a return to activity" is because it's all bureaucracy and politics. The doctors need to say he got a "limited" practice, regardless of the millions of circumstances and variables about Harvin's wellbeing, just so they would be off the hook in the possible case where Harvin has any brain symptoms for the rest of his life. It's all such BS that it's maddening. All because the retired players want to sponge some more money off the NFL because they decided to get their own heads smashed. Our society is FUBAR and there is no hope for the human race. I am not sarcastic and my rant is over.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
DavidSeven":ju0kraot said:
David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 30m
Key for @Percy_Harvin is not whether he is cleared today. Key is if he has started graduated return to activity. If not, then won't play.

I think he needs to practice today in either a fully or limited fashion for any shot at clearance by Sunday.

Thankfully someone here is keeping a level head and is looking to a reputable source for information. Thanks D7.

Status
Not open for further replies.