The reason why many on this board are upset

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
sadhappy":6gh1p7bk said:
I think expectations need to come back down to earth if people want to actually enjoy themselves instead of making themselves miserable by being unrealistic. As for me, I'm having a blast. These are the best of times, too bad more people can't see that.
Boom! :13:

We've had some good teams over the years, but never one quite like this. This is a level of drive and fierceness that we are unaccustomed to -- it doesn't come along every day. So yeah, we don't want to "waste" it, but that cuts both ways. We hope the team doesn't squander its best shot at a Super Bowl and at the same time, we should try and savor the good times* while they're here. 'Cuz they ain't forever!

* (And I say this not having had that great a time watching the game Monday night. :| )

Escamillo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":zfh0x6up said:
I could think of worse problems to have than being 7-1 and still not even playing close to our potential.

But yes, without high expectations most of us wouldn't be so critical of performance. It's like having a super smart kid that's getting C's on his/her report card. You expect better.

A 7-1 record is comparable to a 'C'?

McGruff

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1rllyjwo said:
Also possible that the Titans beat Seattle at home if Locker plays.

Also possible the Seahawks beat the Titans badly, and the Colts on the road, if Okung and Giacomini play . . . See, injuries work both ways. The bottom line is we play the hand we are dealt and win.

Veilside

Reaction score
seabowl":3oqmep2g said:
Yes we are 7-1. Yes we are off to the best start in our history. Yes we are at the top of the NFC. So why are people so upset still?

Because in many of our victories we have looked like an average team. Think about it, we have faced mostly crappy to average QB's and or teams.

TEAM Carolina- ave-good, QB Cam Newton- average
Whiners- good to very good, Kap- good to very good
Jags-terrible, Henne- bad
Texans- average, Schuab- bad-/ave
Colts- very good, Luck- very good
Titans- ave, Fitzpatrick- bad
Cardinals- bad-aver, Palmer- bad/average
Rams- average, Clemmens- terrible/bad

The bar and expectations this year from fans perspectives have been raised. When playing bad-average teams many of us including me expect to win and win going away. We have had way too many close calls against teams we should dominate. This is why many on this board are still upset even in victory. A good QB playing for the Rams and Texans probably swings these games to a loss. The team as it stands now is not as good as the one ending last year even with the injured OL back. Only if we start winning games the way we are supposed to win them will get me and probably others in a more comfortable state. Thoughts?

You can't just classify a team as good>average>bad and think the math should just play out. Certain units of teams just play to the strengths and weaknesses of other teams. We have faced some very good pass rushing D-Lines and obviously our biggest weakness right now is protecting our QB with our banged up O-Line. Not exactly playing to our strengths, yet we are still winning these games and will hopefully be getting some help soon to shore up those weaknesses. All we can do is win, and that is exactly what we are doing...ugly or not.

I guarantee the other teams want to win just as much as we do and are practicing, and hoping and praying just as much as us for a win. There is no good or bad in the NFL (or life for that matter), there is only people wanting to win for themselves, for their teams for their cities and for their families. Think back when the Seahawks sucked....we still won games (or came close) that we shouldn't have. Expecting other teams to not have the ability to create upsets or to make games close is just unrealistic and IMO shows a lack of faith in the fighting spirit of humanity.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Escamillo":104xi8xm said:
Sgt. Largent":104xi8xm said:
I could think of worse problems to have than being 7-1 and still not even playing close to our potential.

But yes, without high expectations most of us wouldn't be so critical of performance. It's like having a super smart kid that's getting C's on his/her report card. You expect better.

A 7-1 record is comparable to a 'C'?

Wat.

NorCal

Reaction score
All good teams have to weather some storms. Both the Niners and Seahawks are weathering the injury storm now. And both teams are doing quite well at it so far. A win is a win. Both teams just want to keep getting the Ws and hope to be healthy and hitting on all cylinders come playoff time. Coming up with wins when both of your tackles are out is impressive. I mean, there is really only so much a QB can do when he is literally running for his life. The only real thing I was left wondering about your offense last night was why were they exposing Wilson to unnecessary hits? Some of the QB runs were a little questionable.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
McGruff":1ns76vrs said:
hawksfansinceday1":1ns76vrs said:
Also possible that the Titans beat Seattle at home if Locker plays.

Also possible the Seahawks beat the Titans badly, and the Colts on the road, if Okung and Giacomini play . . . See, injuries work both ways. The bottom line is we play the hand we are dealt and win.
Fair point.

Greenhell

Reaction score
No one will be talking about this game after next Sunday's game at home versus the Bucs. And it will be a distant memory if a memory at all by time December gets here. Championship caliber teams play their best football in December and January. Their best football lies ahead.