Terrelle Pryor or BJ Daniels??

gargantual

Reaction score
I think San Fran will grab BJ lickety-split if we try to stash him on the Practice Squad. I like him more, has looked like Wilson-lite on his limited snaps. I wish we could put Pryor on the PS, but for the 3rd QB, I say BJ's looked better......so he wins the competiton.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We're going to keep Pryor because he can scout as one of 32 NFL QBs? The tunnel vision on the Niners around here is too much sometimes. He'd be a poor scout QB for almost any other team. Give me a guy who can replicate multiple offenses. That's the guy who you want as your scout QB, not a guy whose arm accuracy is probably in the bottom 10-20% of the league.

My vote is to keep neither and hope that BJ falls to PS. If not, put Keith Price on PS. Done.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I am firmly in the "2 QB" camp. If you actually get to the point where you are at your #3 QB, your season is long gone. I would much rather keep a potential contributor or promising young guy that you know you will lose if you cut, than a QB who is basically familiar with the system, but isn't any good.

Regarding Pryor or Daniels, both look promising and not very good (at the same time). If RW was 35 years old, then yes, I might be inclined to keep either of those guys and see if they develop.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I'd keep BJ as our third QB and see if he can win out the #2 spot. The value of Pryor for two games vs SF and one vs Caro is real, but I think BJ showed so much more this preseason with his limited appearance that he's worth keeping.

And if anyone remembers, I totally discounted BJ altogether when preseason began.

I also think Pryor did better than his haters are willing to admit. But BJ was better than TJack.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":3kiy2sae said:
I am firmly in the "2 QB" camp. If you actually get to the point where you are at your #3 QB, your season is long gone. I would much rather keep a potential contributor or promising young guy that you know you will lose if you cut, than a QB who is basically familiar with the system, but isn't any good.

I see where you are coming from, but I view it differently. The chances of a championship are long gone once losing the starting and backup QB, but a 3rd string QB who can run the offense allows a team to mature and grow even during a losing season. Picking up a QB off the street (assuming BJ and Pryor are on another team) pretty much stalls any progress.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I would keep neither but if I had to keep one, i would keep BJ unless Pryor is willing to try some other roles.

Dude looks like Tebow out there. Sprinkles in a magical play every so often to make you think maybe he's got something, has good running ability, but follows all that up with throwing inexplicably inaccurate passes. The dude is just not a QB and needs to give it up. If he were willing to play H-back he's got enough up side to be worth a roster spot if we're only keeping 2 TE 5 WR. Of course people will use the tebow argument saying 'its' not easy to play H-back" which is a sentiment I agree with - the idea you could take Tebow and just pretend that playing another position is a piece of cake no-brainer is false. However Pryor has a more typical reciever body type and athleticism and speed in his favor.

I think you could probably make a case for keeping an extra D-lineman, WR, or running back over a third QB.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
McG":2iz7ozo9 said:
Neither, free up the spot for a legitimate NFL football player. Pryor would suck even in the CFL/Arena. BJ is just not accurate enough for the NFL, he would be a good CFL guy. If cutting both of them means keeping a guy like FB Small or an extra WR, then I'm all for it. Both of them haven't shown nearly enough to be a QB in the NFL, now if Pryor could play WR or TE...

actually this - Small was a monster last night

Cartire

Reaction score
I dont know who you guys thought you were watching last night, but BJ was horrible.

He embodies the one read and flee mentality. And this is when hes playing against scrubs. Honestly, hes a good runner, but nothing about him last night was better then pryor.

drdiags

Reaction score
I still don't understand the people who say keep Pryor and either cut him or TJack next season. Both of them are FAs after this season.

I would try to trade Pryor and if there are not takers, cut him and BJ.

SIdenote: The NFL has got to open up a few more active spots on the roster. The increase in the PS numbers is a good start but the 53-man roster with 45 game day actives is silly. I know the thinking is the smaller roster size helps competitive balance and insures quality competition for the final roster spots but I would like to see the 53-man number increase. 60 would be my preference but how about 55 as a start and all are active come game day?

TLDR; Neither

hawknation2014

Reaction score
B.J. has much better touch than Pryor. He plays the game with a higher football IQ. I hope he makes it to the PS.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hawks46":2vwtrib9 said:
This is weird, but I'm going to go with Pryor. I have nothing more than a hunch, no stats, facts or analysis to prove anything.

Pryor drives me crazy at times. I've never thought he looked good in Oakland unless he tore someone up with his feet. He's maddeninlgy inconsistent, one throw his footwork and release is nice, the next it's totally off. I'm not a QB guru but I guess this is what leads to his annoying inaccuracy.

Then I started thinking. He went to Ohio state. Who has Urban coached as a QB that's ever had success at the NFL level ? I can't think of one, and usually they bomb spectacularly. So I'll theorize he got poor coaching there.

Then we have the Raiders. Probably the worst team in the last decade to evaluate and coach QBs. So, I'm assuming through 2 regimes he's had poor coaching there.

You can see the progress at times. He rolls out and in Oakland, he runs right away. Here he's looking downfield. He doesn't look comfortable doing it, but he tries. It also throws off when he wants to run. I've never seen Pryor (granted I haven't watched him a lot) look so uncomfortable running. He slides now, and I don't remember seeing that in Oakland. He tries to go deeper into his progressions. It's a work in progress.

He does look to all parts of the field. TJack still falls into the habit of staring down the right side of the field (this game in particular is a good example). It's going to come down to whether or not Pryor is capable of learning and willing to do so. Hawkwow hit it on the head when he said that Pryor thinks he's good and thinks he should be starting somewhere. If he has that mindset, I'd let him go. If he's willing to learn and admit he hasn't had success at the NFL level and needs to reboot a bit, then I think he's an upgrade to TJack.
Pryor never played for Urban Liar. His coach was Sweater Vest Tressel.

endzorn

Reaction score
I think Pryor will get cut just so Wilson feels more comfortable about his job security.

Anthony!

Reaction score
themunn":1briqwio said:
Cartire":1briqwio said:
If anyone has proven they are a one read and run qb, its bj. Do not want.

And hes playing against the soon be cuts.

Soon be RAIDER cuts too
the lowest of the low

I'm not sold on either Daniels or Pryor as a backup, so there's no doubt Jackson has that spot locked up. Pryor seems to be coming on leaps and bounds in one offseason with us however. I'd like to keep him as a developmental player - his physical attributes are unmatched in the league among QBs, and if we can somehow turn him into a competent backup he'd be worth that year of investment

We cannot keep TP without using a roster spot, and he is an FA next year and has already said he is not staying unless he has a real chance to start which he doe snot. I would keep BJ he can go back on PS, despite what some say, and who obviously do not watch the game he is far form a 1 read and run QB, and he has looked better than TP.

Anthony!

Reaction score
olyfan63":1zwkueht said:
Right now, I'd rather see Pryor on the field than TJack, in the event Russell is unavailable. I think Pryor gives us a better chance to win, especially if he keeps progressing. Pryor has shown growth week-to-week. Yes, last week's pick was incredibly lame, but you can see Pryor doing the work and getting the learning.

Daniels looks better than TJack too, but I don't really know how to interpret his game with the limited reps he's gotten, against the other team's 3rd stringers.

So Pryor over TJack, for sure.

Thank god you are not making the choice, TP needs to go period

Anthony!

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2a3ajaio said:
Isn't Pryor a free agent after this season? Hasn't he said he wants to be a starting QB? Why would he stay here to play second string?

He will not and he is an FA and that and the fact he sucks at QB is why he should go.

Latest posts