TE Ed Dickson Signed - 3 Years Worth (up to) $14M

Atradees

Reaction score
The CBA ceiling is rising. 3 years 14 million is not what it used to be in the cartoon land of generational wealth.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":eca9jtrs said:
original poster":eca9jtrs said:
Seymour":eca9jtrs said:
original poster":eca9jtrs said:
You guys want to fix the run game?

This will help. Massively.

He is a very good blocker and hasn't missed a single game in 5 seasons.

Great pick up!

I don't doubt his blocking ability. I question overpaying for the player, a tendency we have had in the past in FA that helped put us squarely where we are today though! :141847_bnono:

But you don't know we've over paid.

Nobody does.

If he earns that $14M in 3 years or anywhere close I do.
If indeed he >EARNS< 14M in 3 years, then it's a gotdamned bargain!!

mikeak

Reaction score
beaumaris":17epz3v4 said:
RCATES":17epz3v4 said:
beaumaris":17epz3v4 said:
Why so much concern about how much someone is being paid? Let the money men worry about all that.
Me as a fan,all I want to know is,is he any good,is he going to help my team win football games. :2thumbs:

Maybe because there's a Cap and the Hawks don't have much of it with a ton of holes left to fill. :2thumbs:
As I said let the money men worry about all that.Im pretty sure they know more about their cap situation,
than you and I :2thumbs:

With this attitude you completely ignore how signing of one player may mean that you can or cannot afford other players

How about you let us on the forum here worry about the moves that Seattle does and how it impacts their future? The Cap is VERY MUCH a part of that

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":2z4s15hm said:
beaumaris":2z4s15hm said:
RCATES":2z4s15hm said:
beaumaris":2z4s15hm said:
Why so much concern about how much someone is being paid? Let the money men worry about all that.
Me as a fan,all I want to know is,is he any good,is he going to help my team win football games. :2thumbs:

Maybe because there's a Cap and the Hawks don't have much of it with a ton of holes left to fill. :2thumbs:
As I said let the money men worry about all that.Im pretty sure they know more about their cap situation,
than you and I :2thumbs:

With this attitude you completely ignore how signing of one player may mean that you can or cannot afford other players

How about you let us on the forum here worry about the moves that Seattle does and how it impacts their future? The Cap is VERY MUCH a part of that

Exactly. We saved $2M by trading Bennett. This mediocre TE just more than likely blew that twice over this year. Is he worth (2) Bennett's? Are we a better team when you add up the losses vs gains? Let that sink in a bit, then question why money sensitivity is a real BIG deal.

adeltaY

Reaction score
We shall see. Feels like another middle class signing like Mingo. Honestly it's all about the system. I'm sure dickson can do well if our scheme is good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Also signing Dickson means we can take a chance in the draft on a pass catching athletic TE type to balance out the position, gives us more wiggle room and more development time if we draft a player that's raw but has potential and upside.

kf3339

Reaction score
scutterhawk":395mssfk said:
Seymour":395mssfk said:
original poster":395mssfk said:
Seymour":395mssfk said:
I don't doubt his blocking ability. I question overpaying for the player, a tendency we have had in the past in FA that helped put us squarely where we are today though! :141847_bnono:

But you don't know we've over paid.

Nobody does.

If he earns that $14M in 3 years or anywhere close I do.
If indeed he >EARNS< 14M in 3 years, then it's a gotdamned bargain!!

:ditto:

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2j84mrkg said:
Also signing Dickson means we can take a chance in the draft on a pass catching athletic TE type to balance out the position, gives us more wiggle room and more development time if we draft a player that's raw but has potential and upside.

100% disagree. We absolutely cannot "take a chance" on ANY draft picks the next few years. Taking a chance is a huge part of what got us here signing red flag players, and players with good athleticism that doesn't translate to the field.

naholmes

Reaction score
We only know about the max value of the contract at this point, so really no point in worrying about the cash until the full details are released. The Mingo contract looks a lot better than initially reported and I’m sure Dickson will be similar. As far as the player, he is a solid vet who’s decent in all phases which fills the need ahead of the draft. With the weak TE class in FA and the draft that’s really the best we could hope for. OK, I’ll concede that ASJ does have much more upside but he’s also a much bigger risk of being suspended or just being a knucklehead.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1ngqopit said:
Sgt. Largent":1ngqopit said:

100% disagree. We absolutely cannot "take a chance" on ANY draft picks the next few years. Taking a chance is a huge part of what got us here signing red flag players, and players with good athleticism that doesn't translate to the field.

After the top 15 picks, every player is taking a chance..........and even those guys are not slam dunks.

Richard Sherman was taking a chance, Kam Chancellor was taking a chance, Russell Wilson was taking a chance, on and on.

Of course you take a chance if you see the upside, TE is no different...........so I have no problem once we get into the later rounds taking a chance on a raw freaky athletic TE type that could develop into something.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3ja3mprb said:
MontanaHawk05":3ja3mprb said:
Dickson for Graham does not cancel each other out.

An added compensatory free agent will always cancel out a lost CFA. It is just a question of which CFA he will cancel out. Currently Graham is the only lost CFA we have so Dickson cancels him out until we lose another CFA worth less than Graham.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Seymour":1tgoivwc said:
Sgt. Largent":1tgoivwc said:

I don't think he meant take a chance in a "throw caution to the wind" type of way. More than likely he meant go through the typical vetting and evaluating process, it just allows them to pick a different type of player. It seems like a very negative way to perceive his comment?

Isn't drafting in it's entirety taking a chance? No one can predict the future. Even "for sure" "solid" draft picks end up being busts.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16dim232 said:
Seymour":16dim232 said:
Sgt. Largent":16dim232 said:

After the top 15 picks, every player is taking a chance..........and even those guys are not slam dunks.

Richard Sherman was taking a chance, Kam Chancellor was taking a chance, Russell Wilson was taking a chance, on and on.

Of course you take a chance if you see the upside, TE is no different...........so I have no problem once we get into the later rounds taking a chance on a raw freaky athletic TE type that could develop into something.

Come on Sarge. There are different degree's of taking a chance and you know that. We all know there are no guarantees. A knucklehead with "high upside" is still a knucklehead! :roll:

We signed McDowell that another GM noted was the worst NFL interview he has ever done! :pukeface:
That is how Pete "takes a chance".

scutterhawk

Reaction score
beaumaris":1qy0q2iz said:
You're not focusing hard enough on the ' WRETCHED NEGATIVITY' like they can do with relative ease. :stirthepot:
Gone to the Dark Side they have.

Jville

Reaction score
Panthers Film Room: How Detroit’s commitment to stop the run led to Ed Dickson’s Career Day >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.catscratchreader.com/2017/10/11/16455392/panthers-film-room-how-detroits-commitment-to-stop-the-run-led-to-ed-dicksons-career-day[/urltargetblank]

mikeak

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":gd6iw6pz said:
Comp picks are essentially based on dollar figures. If you lose a FA and his contract is the highest paid to all FAs then your team gets the highest pick awarded in the system. Dickson for Graham does not cancel each other out.

Except that it is also as simple as +1 and -1

If you only have a high comp pick and sign someone low and that is it the net result is still zero picks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":9cxrvlky said:
Sgt. Largent":9cxrvlky said:
Seymour":9cxrvlky said:
Sgt. Largent":9cxrvlky said:

Come on Sarge. There are different degree's of taking a chance and you know that. We all know there are no guarantees. A knucklehead with "high upside" is still a knucklehead! :roll:

We signed McDowell that another GM noted was the worst NFL interview he has ever done! :pukeface:

I'm not talking about knuckleheads, I'm talking about raw, athletic types of TE's, of which there are MANY in college that we can develop into a dynamic pass catcher.

Just like taking chances on the players I mentioned above..........because in the draft, there are no sure things, especially in later rounds.

chawx

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NathanE11/status/974693502968741888[/tweet]

Run blocking sample. :34853_doh:

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11l1nwtb said:
Seymour":11l1nwtb said:
Sgt. Largent":11l1nwtb said:
Seymour":11l1nwtb said:

I'm not talking about knuckleheads, I'm talking about raw, athletic types of TE's, of which there are MANY in college that we can develop into a dynamic pass catcher.

Just like taking chances on the players I mentioned above..........because in the draft, there are no sure things, especially in later rounds.

Fine. You have a 7th to work with. Go get 'em . :2thumbs: :snack:

Latest posts