TE Ed Dickson Signed - 3 Years Worth (up to) $14M

mikeak

Reaction score
I just looked up career stats on both ASJ and Dickson

If you exclude last year then it isn’t like ASJ was catching a bunch of balls. So who did he play for last year - Jets. 50 receptions then but 10-20 before that per year

Now go look at what Kearse did with the Jets last year....

Point being - if you can’t recognize that the number of catches and receptions for a player and especially a TE is directly tied to coaching and system then you are missing something.

Dickson’s blocking will be valued but he also averages 11.2 yards per reception consistently over his career which is usually right about what we need for a 1st down (you know after the false start penalty / holding and then 3 yard run).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":16k5py6c said:
Seahawks fans - "our run game sucks"

- Seattle signs a blocking TE that can also catch -

Seahawks fans - "Ed Dickson? Yuck!"

Lol

I like the signing, especially if we got Dickson for 3-4M a year. Good blocker, good athlete, good separation and hasn't had the chance to be a #1 TE since Baltimore.

30 years old, but shouldn't have the wear on him that a 30 year old that's taken all the snaps for his team the past 3-4 years.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
We don’t even know the details yet, but folks are losing their minds. It is probably low guaranteed, heavily incentive laden. However carry on. I have pitchforks, and torches, for sale on Craigslist.

original poster

Reaction score
Seymour":x9iaywi6 said:
original poster":x9iaywi6 said:
Seymour":x9iaywi6 said:
original poster":x9iaywi6 said:
You guys want to fix the run game?

This will help. Massively.

He is a very good blocker and hasn't missed a single game in 5 seasons.

Great pick up!

I don't doubt his blocking ability. I question overpaying for the player, a tendency we have had in the past in FA that helped put us squarely where we are today though! :141847_bnono:

But you don't know we've over paid.

Nobody does.

If he earns that $14M in 3 years or anywhere close I do.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

If he gets his incentives that means he has outperformed his base contract and proved to be a very valuable signing.

:34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:

RockinHawks

Reaction score
RCATES":1c42b49q said:
What a garbage signing for virtually the same amount they could have landed ASJ for. Ohh and this move also cancels out the comp pick we would have received for #88. Smdh

How would this cancel out the potential comp pick from the Jimmy Graham signing exactly?

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Seymour":5s353i45 said:
original poster":5s353i45 said:
Seymour":5s353i45 said:
original poster":5s353i45 said:
You guys want to fix the run game?

This will help. Massively.

He is a very good blocker and hasn't missed a single game in 5 seasons.

Great pick up!

I don't doubt his blocking ability. I question overpaying for the player, a tendency we have had in the past in FA that helped put us squarely where we are today though! :141847_bnono:

Nobody does.

If he earns all the incentives over the next three years, and remains on the roster, he was likely worth every penny

This contract likely will be nothing more than a one year, $2 million dollar contract with two option years - in other words we can cut after year one with little impact. Can we at least learn the details of the contract prior to making definitive statements concerning its value?

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":1buw2mho said:
Seymour":1buw2mho said:
original poster":1buw2mho said:
Seymour":1buw2mho said:

Nobody does.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

If he gets his incentives that means he has outperformed his base contract and proved to be a very valuable signing.

:34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:

I could say that is utterly ridiculous also. Lacy had "incentives" to make a ridiculous heavy weight that he got. How did that turn out? :34853_doh: :34853_doh:

Hyak

Reaction score
Let's see the EXACT terms. APY is comparable to what ASJ got from Jax.

That said, they needed a complete TE ala Miller. Vannett was the closest they had to one and that's pushing it.

Also think ASJ is getting put into some rarified air by some on here. Last year he showed some production but 7.1 YPC is meh. Dickson had double that and had more yards that ASJ on 20 less catches.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Hopefully incentive laden with incentives being heavily weighted toward receptions and TDs, or even roster bonuses weighted toward the final year.

King Dog

Reaction score
tacomahawk":3e18fniq said:
We don’t even know the details yet, but folks are losing their minds. It is probably low guaranteed, heavily incentive laden. However carry on. I have pitchforks, and torches, for sale on Craigslist.

Got a link?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The Hawks needed a veteran TE who can both block and catch, would be a system fit with their new offense, and be a veteran leader/mentor in their TE room. They got all of that in Dickson. Dickson has been on winning teams and played in 2-TE offenses his entire career in both Baltimore and Carolina, going to Super Bowls with both teams (winning one with Baltimore). Dickson is known for his run blocking ability and ability to play FB in addition to TE, but he was actually PFF's highest graded pass blocker in 2017, and his receiving grade was higher than any of Seattle's TE's last season, Jimmy Graham included. He's also durable, with the 4th longest active games played streak among curernt TE's in the NFL. Getting him for an AAV of less than $5M, even with all possible incentives included, is a steal. Great fit, right kind of guy, and an extremely affordable price.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Excellent blocker from TE or FB position and relatively reliable pass catcher even without flashy numbers. Greg Olsen sure didn't help get him any targets, especially since he's clearly Cam's favorite pass catcher. Expect they'll look for a more explosive TE in the draft, maybe the kid Mark Andrews from Oklahoma? Knocked for his blocking but sounds like he's a slot matchup nightmare. Schotty loves the 2 TE sets and they'll need someone else.

kf3339

Reaction score
We needed a true blocking TE. We signed a true blocking TE. What's the problem?

The Money? Are any of us being asked to pay for the contract? NO. We don't even know the full details of the contract.

Do any of you complaining not remember exactly how bad our TE run blocking was these last few years? Do you also not think that Vannett will take another step and be a solid blocking and receiving TE for us?

This may be a 1 or 2 year bridge to a full time TE in Vannett. A player who can also mentor Vannett in both being a solid blocking TE and possession receiver. I don't have a problem with this signing at all.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":29gywcya said:
The Hawks needed a veteran TE who can both block and catch, would be a system fit with their new offense, and be a veteran leader/mentor in their TE room. They got all of that in Dickson. Dickson has been on winning teams and played in 2-TE offenses his entire career in both Baltimore and Carolina, going to Super Bowls with both teams (winning one with Baltimore). Dickson is known for his run blocking ability and ability to play FB in addition to TE, but he was actually PFF's highest graded pass blocker in 2017, and his receiving grade was higher than any of Seattle's TE's last season, Jimmy Graham included. He's also durable, with the 4th longest active games played streak among curernt TE's in the NFL. Getting him for an AAV of less than $5M, even with all possible incentives included, is a steal. Great fit, right kind of guy, and an extremely affordable price.

Please don’t bring logic into this, the mob has already formed in front of the VMAC ;)

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1y6f617v said:
This confirms that Vannett is a bust....another draft blunder.

No it doesn't. It shows that we needed a 3rd TE. We only have 2 on the roster, Vannett and Swoopes. Every team has at least 4-5 for camp.

RCATES

Reaction score
kf3339":12pkgzh1 said:
We needed a true blocking TE. We signed a true blocking TE. What's the problem?

The Money? Are any of us being asked to pay for the contract? NO. We don't even know the full details of the contract.

Do any of you complaining not remember exactly how bad our TE run blocking was these last few years? Do you also not think that Vannett will take another step and be a solid blocking and receiving TE for us?

This may be a 1 or 2 year bridge to a full time TE in Vannett. A player who can also mentor Vannett in both being a solid blocking TE and possession receiver. I don't have a problem with this signing at all.

PFF does not like Ed Dickson, gave him a 49.7 grade, a 55.8 for pass catch, a 41.0 for run block and a 73.9 for pass block- he played 897 snaps (wow)

No different then #88 at terrible run blocking. This is another bone headed move by JS. No need to sugar coat it.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3hulm7un said:
This confirms that Vannett is a bust....another draft blunder.
Yeah that is the crappy part. Remember them raving about how he was the best blocking tight end in college. Doesn’t look like it has worked out that way.

original poster

Reaction score
RockinHawks":zdzrjwkj said:
RCATES":zdzrjwkj said:
What a garbage signing for virtually the same amount they could have landed ASJ for. Ohh and this move also cancels out the comp pick we would have received for #88. Smdh

How would this cancel out the potential comp pick from the Jimmy Graham signing exactly?

Because we've lost two and signed two so far.

It will very unlikely be the case when it's all said and done, though.

Mojambo

Reaction score
It's a one year deal for a run blocking TE2. Settle down.

This also allows room for Vannett to get the bulk of the playing time should he show he's ready.

#competition