TE Ed Dickson Signed - 3 Years Worth (up to) $14M

bbsplitter

Reaction score
chawx":lgzh77yv said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NathanE11/status/974693502968741888[/tweet]

Run blocking sample. :34853_doh:

He made the effort! Form wasn't bad besides telegraphing the cut block. That looks like 4 more yards gained then we would have on such a play last year!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Greenhell":3shsoivp said:
original poster":3shsoivp said:
Seahawks fans - "our run game sucks"

- Seattle signs a blocking TE that can also catch -

Seahawks fans - "Ed Dickson? Yuck!"

Exactly.

He had a 175 yard receiving game this past season. Pretty sure graham never did that as a seahawk.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
giphy.gif

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Last season, Dickson was the best pass blocking TE (per PFF) but his run blocking was subpar. That's something he will need to improve.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Of the options that was out there, he was one who could pass block and has some upside as a catching option that was never fully tapped. It's not a thrilling signing but a solid one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":23ovtnr3 said:
Fine. You have a 7th to work with. Go get 'em . :2thumbs: :snack:

Luckily we have 38 7th round picks to work with. Give us your tired, you're huddled unwashed masses..............your 7th rounders.

mrt144

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3amlfm16 said:
This confirms that Vannett is a bust....another draft blunder.

I'd look at it another way - the FO is stepping on their dick in developing players by previously having unimpeachable starters take snaps over prospective new talent. It's hard to call Vannett a bust when he would be taking snaps from JFG who on paper is obviously better and Luke Willson, someone with a long tenure and relationship with the coaching staff.

I know people will disagree with this assesment but it feels like the coaching staff at times had favorites and were reluctant to go away from that. An obvious out here is that Vannett simply wasn't outplaying Willson in practice to warrant play time but...there are a few examples of players getting into the doghouse for no apparent reason with Cable based on factors that Cable considered important. I don't think it's a bridge too far to suggest this kinda of crap wasn't just limited to players under Cable's purview.

This will be the year for Vannett to step up and show his mettle. To me, it's hard to write him off given the situation with the Hawks his first two.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
mrt144":afgu3vt6 said:
Cyrus12":afgu3vt6 said:
This confirms that Vannett is a bust....another draft blunder.

I'd look at it another way - the FO is stepping on their dick in developing players by previously having unimpeachable starters take snaps over prospective new talent. It's hard to call Vannett a bust when he would be taking snaps from JFG who on paper is obviously better and Luke Willson, someone with a long tenure and relationship with the coaching staff.

I know people will disagree with this assesment but it feels like the coaching staff at times had favorites and were reluctant to go away from that. An obvious out here is that Vannett simply wasn't outplaying Willson in practice to warrant play time but...there are a few examples of players getting into the doghouse for no apparent reason with Cable based on factors that Cable considered important. I don't think it's a bridge too far to suggest this kinda of crap wasn't just limited to players under Cable's purview.

This will be the year for Vannett to step up and show his mettle. To me, it's hard to write him off given the situation with the Hawks his first two.

I'd say that's a fair assessment :2thumbs:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Forming an opinion about whether a signing is a good value or not is obviously fair game for fans. It's a major determinant in how talented the roster will be in 2018 and beyond.

Forming an opinion before any details are released about the important components (base salary, incentives, guarantees) is comedic. The opinion bandwagons will have plenty of room later on and there's no reason to rush to get there first without having the necessary information.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wake me when we sign someone that we can get excited about like Suh. Meh.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
AgentDib":qrwq7i92 said:
Forming an opinion about whether a signing is a good value or not is obviously fair game for fans. It's a major determinant in how talented the roster will be in 2018 and beyond.

Forming an opinion before any details are released about the important components (base salary, incentives, guarantees) is comedic. The opinion bandwagons will have plenty of room later on and there's no reason to rush to get there first without having the necessary information.

Well we know the general outline 3yrs/14mil, so I would say it's fair to speculate based on that, but your right I don't think anyone should jump to any extreme conclusions before we see the actual structure.

cheese22

Reaction score
Those that say we missed out on ASJ, don't like the Ed Dickson signing and are saying Vannett is a bust after one year apparently haven't looked at ASJ's production his first 3 years. Otherwise, ASJ would have been written off a couple years ago and you would also realize ED's signing is great value. WTF were you expecting! Gronk on a vet minimum? Maybe Kelsey too?

AgentDib

Reaction score
bbsplitter":21opmvqz said:
Well we know the general outline 3yrs/14mil, so I would say it's fair to speculate based on that
There's just a really big range regarding the "actual" contract hidden in that phrase. Plausibly anywhere between 1 yr $2m and 2 yr $9m. Also, incentives which are NLTBE do not play into the comp pick formula and so it's premature to worry over much about the comp picks unless you think nobody is going to sign our remaining CFAs for some reason.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Checked the Panthers subreddit and sbnation site and they seemed pretty surprised we paid this much for Dickson.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
AgentDib":2c9klbdo said:
bbsplitter":2c9klbdo said:
Well we know the general outline 3yrs/14mil, so I would say it's fair to speculate based on that
There's just a really big range regarding the "actual" contract hidden in that phrase. Plausibly anywhere between 1 yr $2m and 2 yr $9m. Also, incentives which are NLTBE do not play into the comp pick formula and so it's premature to worry over much about the comp picks unless you think nobody is going to sign our remaining CFAs for some reason.

You're right, I just meant it fair to generally speculate on the numbers involved with 3yrs/14mil will end up being, just like you did. Some are speculating it will be more, some are speculating it will be less. None of it is wrong per say, we will find out solid numbers later we just shouldn't form any extreme opinions one way or another until we see them.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
adeltaY":1oplbjqd said:
Checked the Panthers subreddit and sbnation site and they seemed pretty surprised we paid this much for Dickson.

Good find, I'm hoping it's just inflated numbers for his agents ego, and the first year is closer to 2-3 mil with team options after that. Either way as long as its only a 1-2 year type deal and isn't a Kam guarantees type situation, I think we will be fine even if he doesn't work out.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Aros":147avf14 said:

Probably gonna be sleeping for a while then. This doesn't seem like the off-season where we will make any significant splashes.

Seymour

Reaction score
Aros":8ug56vat said:

Goodnight Rip Van Aros.