TE Ed Dickson Signed - 3 Years Worth (up to) $14M

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This feels like an overpay.

I am willing to see how he looks but so far, it looks like our strategy is to get rid of great players in order to replace them with average players.

I don't see how this makes us better, sure it helps the run game. But anything would because we were so terrible.

I am trying to wait and see on this but this team has such a terrible record at overpaying for FAs that end up not doing much - it is hard to overcome that. We will see.

That is a lot of TDs to replace this year. Not sure how this guy helps at all.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
original poster":kuu91d1p said:
RockinHawks":kuu91d1p said:
RCATES":kuu91d1p said:
What a garbage signing for virtually the same amount they could have landed ASJ for. Ohh and this move also cancels out the comp pick we would have received for #88. Smdh

How would this cancel out the potential comp pick from the Jimmy Graham signing exactly?

Because we've lost two and signed two so far.

It will very unlikely be the case when it's all said and done, though.

Currently, his reported 4.7 mill APY would project him squarely into the 6th round of comp picks.

Graham at 10 mil APY is currently projected a 4th round comp.

By the time free agency is over, Dickson may fall off completely, but currently, he is costing us the Graham comp, as we have no other qualifying free agent losses that haven’t already been cancelled out (Mingo cancelled out Richardson)

If we lose another compensatory free agent at 4.7 APY or more, at a contract value that places him in the same comp round as Dickson, or higher, at a APY less than 10 million, he will cancel that one out, instead of Graham.

kidhawk

Reaction score
red grenadine":1155tafi said:
So at TE we went from a terrible run blocker who can only catch TDs

To a terrible run blocker who can't catch at all

Sounds about right

No we went from a terrible blocker who only caught TDs to a guy who is rated as the best pass blocking TE in the league and who had a pretty good jump in catches when the Panthers pass catching TE went out with injury. His catching stats are low because he was not used as a receiving TE in the Panthers offense until Olsen was injured. The fact that he excels at protecting the qb is something that should be valued highly here with our franchise qb getting a high dose of contact these past few seasons.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
kidhawk":2upy6cj8 said:
red grenadine":2upy6cj8 said:

Sounds about right

No we went from a terrible blocker who only caught TDs to a guy who is rated as the best pass blocking TE in the league and who had a pretty good jump in catches when the Panthers pass catching TE went out with injury. His catching stats are low because he was not used as a receiving TE in the Panthers offense until Olsen was injured. The fact that he excels at protecting the qb is something that should be valued highly here with our franchise qb getting a high dose of contact these past few seasons.

As much as Jimmy was loved by the players I can't help but think this guy will bring a little more effort-wise then Jimmy brought. Even just attempting to block a guy will be an upgrade, and from all reports he is an excellent locker room presence.

Greenhell

Reaction score
original poster":ss3g81zc said:
Seahawks fans - "our run game sucks"

- Seattle signs a blocking TE that can also catch -

Seahawks fans - "Ed Dickson? Yuck!"

Exactly.

King Dog

Reaction score
bbsplitter":19200bax said:
kidhawk":19200bax said:
red grenadine":19200bax said:
As much as Jimmy was loved by the players I can't help but think this guy will bring a little more effort-wise then Jimmy brought. Even just attempting to block a guy will be an upgrade, and from all reports he is an excellent locker room presence.

Is he a little bit of a dirtbag though?

beaumaris

Reaction score
Why so much concern about how much someone is being paid? Let the money men worry about all that.
Me as a fan,all I want to know is,is he any good,is he going to help my team win football games. :2thumbs:

RCATES

Reaction score
kidhawk":hbfc7jit said:
red grenadine":hbfc7jit said:

Sounds about right

I'd be ok with a TE who just excels at pass blocking if we had a traditional tall stays in the pocket QB. We don't. We have a guy who breaks out of it almost instantly. Whether its from past O-Line problems or his lack of height either way he now breaks out almost instantly. Hopefully Ed has eyes in the back of his head.

RCATES

Reaction score
beaumaris":33ojnonc said:
Why so much concern about how much someone is being paid? Let the money men worry about all that.
Me as a fan,all I want to know is,is he any good,is he going to help my team win football games. :2thumbs:

Maybe because there's a Cap and the Hawks don't have much of it with a ton of holes left to fill. :2thumbs:

beaumaris

Reaction score
RCATES":3f5ki8fm said:
beaumaris":3f5ki8fm said:

Maybe because there's a Cap and the Hawks don't have much of it with a ton of holes left to fill. :2thumbs:
As I said let the money men worry about all that.Im pretty sure they know more about their cap situation,
than you and I :2thumbs:

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jville posted the tweet with these stats, but I thought I'd put the full image in here for people to see. Although he had fewer targets and ran fewer routes (which makes sense with Greg Olsen being the main pass catching TE before his injury), Dickson has very comparable numbers to both Graham and ASJ with a lower salary and better Pass protection than either of them.

DYbHVBBVwAAtQBL

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
I really wish the NFL didn't have to disclose the terms of contracts in times like this. From these reactions you would think these posters were paying Dickson out of their own pocket.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
RCATES":3oedxfjl said:
kidhawk":3oedxfjl said:
red grenadine":3oedxfjl said:

Sounds about right

I'd be ok with a TE who just excels at pass blocking if we had a traditional tall stays in the pocket QB. We don't. We have a guy who breaks out of it almost instantly. Whether its from past O-Line problems or his lack of height either way he now breaks out almost instantly. Hopefully Ed has eyes in the back of his head.

I get that Russell's unconventional style makes him harder to block for than a traditional QB but that doesn't mean that you abandon trying to protect him. Think about it this way, if we are in a partial rebuild (and really aiming at being competitive in 2019) doesn't it make sense to bring in a TE who will help keep Russ alive? This partial rebuild will mean nothing if Russ gets hurt. Stick Dickson next to Ifedi and you'll have better (but probably not perfect) protection on the right side. Keep Russ alive till we can compete again!

bbsplitter

Reaction score
seanmatt":tqrwitqr said:
RCATES":tqrwitqr said:
kidhawk":tqrwitqr said:
red grenadine":tqrwitqr said:

Sounds about right

I get that Russell's unconventional style makes him harder to block for than a traditional QB but that doesn't mean that you abandon trying to protect him. Think about it this way, if we are in a partial rebuild (and really aiming at being competitive in 2019) doesn't it make sense to bring in a TE who will help keep Russ alive? This partial rebuild will mean nothing if Russ gets hurt. Stick Dickson next to Ifedi and you'll have better (but probably not perfect) protection on the right side. Keep Russ alive till we can compete again!

Also don't discount dump off routes - if Russ starts scrambling around it will be helpful to have a big body pass catcher standing around. Not that graham couldn't do that. Just a less expensive way haha

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1pfd039y said:
RockinHawks":1pfd039y said:
RCATES":1pfd039y said:
What a garbage signing for virtually the same amount they could have landed ASJ for. Ohh and this move also cancels out the comp pick we would have received for #88. Smdh

How would this cancel out the potential comp pick from the Jimmy Graham signing exactly?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/nickkorte/status/974674083622170625[/tweet]

Don't know whether he's right or not, but that's what OTC is saying.

Comp picks are essentially based on dollar figures. If you lose a FA and his contract is the highest paid to all FAs then your team gets the highest pick awarded in the system. Dickson for Graham does not cancel each other out.

RussB

Reaction score
He can block so thats good. Hes also not a bad pass catcher he played well when Olsen went out.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RCATES":2bjd1nfo said:
kidhawk":2bjd1nfo said:
red grenadine":2bjd1nfo said:

Sounds about right

I was gonna say...a TE in this offense needs to be able to scramble.

RCATES

Reaction score
seanmatt":39rndwvp said:
RCATES":39rndwvp said:
kidhawk":39rndwvp said:
red grenadine":39rndwvp said:

Sounds about right

Hopefully Fant is ready to go and plays RT. I don't want to ever see Ifedi at the tackle position again.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
RCATES":3ny61wo4 said:
seanmatt":3ny61wo4 said:
RCATES":3ny61wo4 said:
kidhawk":3ny61wo4 said:

Hopefully Fant is ready to go and plays RT. I don't want to ever see Ifedi at the tackle position again.

Fant at RT and Ifedi at RG.