TE Ed Dickson Signed - 3 Years Worth (up to) $14M

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3jmlgrq6 said:
This confirms that Vannett is a bust....another draft blunder.
Umm, no it doesn't. The Hawks being desperate to re-sign Graham and Willson - potentially overpaying to do so - would have confirmed that. This is a veteran leader to pair with the still ascending Vannett, who began flashing during the 2nd half of 2017 and even taking some snaps away from Graham and Willson. The Hawks only had 2 TE's under contract, one of whom is a long-term project who has yet to see an NFL snap....they were going to (and absolutely had to) sign at least one veteran TE this off-season just to even have a full practice during OTA's.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
iigakusei":3em6spk6 said:
Cyrus12":3em6spk6 said:
Yeah that is the crappy part. Remember them raving about how he was the best blocking tight end in college. Doesn’t look like it has worked out that way.
You would think by now he would be given the starting job especially after Graham leaving. A 3 year deal and not a cheap one at that to Dickson tells me that Vannett will not be the starter. He will be gone after his rookie deal.

RCATES

Reaction score
Mojambo":3gd638wu said:
It's a one year deal for a run blocking TE2. Settle down.

This also allows room for Vannett to get the bulk of the playing time should he show he's ready.

#competition

PFF has him at a 41.0 for run blocking. So he's terrible at it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RockinHawks":2dw6a6pd said:
RCATES":2dw6a6pd said:
What a garbage signing for virtually the same amount they could have landed ASJ for. Ohh and this move also cancels out the comp pick we would have received for #88. Smdh

How would this cancel out the potential comp pick from the Jimmy Graham signing exactly?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/nickkorte/status/974674083622170625[/tweet]

Don't know whether he's right or not, but that's what OTC is saying.

Mojambo

Reaction score
RCATES":3p1eehi5 said:
Mojambo":3p1eehi5 said:

This also allows room for Vannett to get the bulk of the playing time should he show he's ready.

#competition

If I thought PFF was anywhere credible, I might be worried, but I don't, so I'm not.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Cyrus12":ay2fcf8g said:
iigakusei":ay2fcf8g said:
Cyrus12":ay2fcf8g said:
Yeah that is the crappy part. Remember them raving about how he was the best blocking tight end in college. Doesn’t look like it has worked out that way.
You would think by now he would be given the starting job especially after Graham leaving. A 3 year deal and not a cheap one at that to Dickson tells me that Vannett will not be the starter. He will be gone after his rookie deal.

It's a three year deal in name only. It's one year guaranteed.

This doesn't block Vannett in any way at all. In fact, in my view it keeps the door pretty wide open for him.

Now if Seattle drafts a TE, then Vannett might be in trouble.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I am not the biggest fan of this signing - but you what is up with everyone being so black and white with this?

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Also, we don't even know the details of the contract yet. There have been all these reports about how the Seahawks didn't want to get burned with another Kam situation, so you you really think all 14 is guaranteed with this 30 year old tight end?

If i had to guess I would say this is essentially a 1 year deal with an inflated APY to make his agent look good. From what we saw last year I don't think it's fair to say Vannett is a bust at this point. He is exactly what he should be, a young tight end learning the system who will benefit from a veteran presence in the locker room. This signing does not indicate that Vannett could dominate and Dickson could never see the field by the end of the season. It's just a good idea to have depth.

All that being said, even if it turns out to be a one year deal, I can't help but think maybe they paid a little bit too much for what Dickson brings. It will be perfect it the first year guaranteed is only 2-3 million and everything else is team option, but something tells me he was able to get a little bit more out of them.

Time will tell.

RCATES

Reaction score
RCATES":2u513j6r said:
Mojambo":2u513j6r said:

#competition

ASJ is 59.9 run block :229031_banghead:

bbsplitter

Reaction score
RCATES":361wqpzs said:
RCATES":361wqpzs said:
Mojambo":361wqpzs said:

#competition

Has ASJ signed anywhere? The rumors I had heard was that both Hawks and Jets offered around 4 mil/year and ASJ wasn't haven't any of it.

Seymour

Reaction score
kf3339":ftofbmmm said:
We needed a true blocking TE. We signed a true blocking TE. What's the problem?

The Money? Are any of us being asked to pay for the contract? NO. We don't even know the full details of the contract.

Do any of you complaining not remember exactly how bad our TE run blocking was these last few years? Do you also not think that Vannett will take another step and be a solid blocking and receiving TE for us?

This may be a 1 or 2 year bridge to a full time TE in Vannett. A player who can also mentor Vannett in both being a solid blocking TE and possession receiver. I don't have a problem with this signing at all.

If you enjoy watching our team win, and suffer when watching them lose, then you damn right we all "pay" for bad signings by being forced to watch an inferior product.

I don't know for sure this was "bad" without reading the contract, but when the player has been in the league 6 years and has a well established market value, and we come along and over double it....that is a very bad trend....period.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
bbsplitter":grynpcrd said:
RCATES":grynpcrd said:
RCATES":grynpcrd said:
Mojambo":grynpcrd said:

#competition

Has ASJ signed anywhere? The rumors I had heard was that both Hawks and Jets offered around 4 mil/year and ASJ wasn't haven't any of it.
Jax got him

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bbsplitter":3cqdfxz8 said:

He signed a two year 10M deal with the Jags.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/974685540866957312[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/974671275401596928[/tweet]

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Seymour":2s3oebb3 said:
kf3339":2s3oebb3 said:

The Money? Are any of us being asked to pay for the contract? NO. We don't even know the full details of the contract.

Do any of you complaining not remember exactly how bad our TE run blocking was these last few years? Do you also not think that Vannett will take another step and be a solid blocking and receiving TE for us?

This may be a 1 or 2 year bridge to a full time TE in Vannett. A player who can also mentor Vannett in both being a solid blocking TE and possession receiver. I don't have a problem with this signing at all.

If you enjoy watching our team win, and suffer when watching them lose, then you damn right we all "pay" for bad signings by being forced to watch an inferior product.

I don't know for sure this was "bad" without reading the contract, but when the player has been in the league 6 years and has a well established market value, and we come along and over double it....that is a very bad trend....period.

Well we aren't for sure they did double his market value, but i am leaning towards agreeing with you it's going to end up being a little more then he is worth. Pair this with the Mingo signing which I thought was just a little bit too rich, do you wonder if the Hawks are maybe again having to overpay a bit to lure people to Seattle? It used to be everyone wanted to play here, but maybe with the image of jettisoning our stars players has free agents viewing the team as not being very competitive next year?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
RCATES":3baol7sg said:
RCATES":3baol7sg said:
Mojambo":3baol7sg said:

#competition

When he's not in jail for DUI, at least.

kf3339

Reaction score
Seymour":3nab12yg said:
kf3339":3nab12yg said:

Wait for the full contract details. It may look a lot better at that time. Not saying it was a great signing, but that if he can run block well and help Vannett get up to speed as our full time TE soon it's worth it to me.

olyfan63

Reaction score
tacomahawk":pul3env1 said:
However carry on. I have pitchforks, and torches, for sale on Craigslist.

Love it, I'm going to steal--er, reappropriate that one for my personal use!

red grenadine

Reaction score
So at TE we went from a terrible run blocker who can only catch TDs

To a terrible run blocker who can't catch at all

Sounds about right

Maybe he can play Tackle? Great pass blocking TE!