State of the Hawks. State of the Twelves(long)

Chawker

Reaction score
We have a great pass rush, if manage correctly. On sure passing downs lineup Bruce Irvin behind Chris Clemons in a OLBer postion, it would rattle even Tom Brady. Double team their LT, Clemons goes wide and shoot Irvin inside...or vice a versa. Teach Irvin to play a 10 yard zone.
We need more of a push from our DTs, and "THATS" we need to draft.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ig86x09 said:
T-Sizzle":1ig86x09 said:
Disagree with you on Bruce.
Why?

Because it's the same ridiculous argument we hear from impatient fans this board is littered with.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Max Unger is weak and will never be a good player-- despite playing his rookie year out of position and then being injured for nearly his entire 2nd year. In year 3 and now year 4 he is arguably our best Offensive lineman and in the top 2-3 players on the offense.

Golden Tate- Golden sucks and will never become a great player, this was said after a very nondescript 1st year. Further said after his 2nd year in which the 2nd half of the season was very strong. INterestingly enough he ended 2012 with only 10 more catches than he had in 2011.

By making these snap judgements like you make in the OP, you are denying the most basic truth in player development. The majority of players take significant steps forward from year 1- 2. So why are you suggesting that Irvin can't do that?

Poeple keep saying that he's too light to play the run, I've got news for you Clemmons is only 5 pounds heavier than Irvin and he does just fine. It's not unheard of for players to pack on 5-10 pounds in 1 offseason. I think with another offseason under his belt he'll become much more consistent. WIll he be able to take over for Clemmons? Only time will tell.

Just look at this roster you see a substantial amount of evidence of players improving production from year 1 to year 2. Chancellor was a spot duty player as a rookie only to start and be very effective in year 2. Sherman has improved on his play from 2011 and become even better. Browner has been better as a 2nd year starter getting less penalties this year.

KJ Wright was terrific this year as a 2nd year player. Just think how Bobby Wagner, Jeremy Lane, Robert Turbin and Gregg Scruggs will be with a year under their belts.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Scottemojo":rhe8jbym said:
First of all, isn't it nice to know our quarterback position is not an area of weakness for the next few years, maybe even a decade or more? Chalk up a few wins every year for the forseeable future just because the best quarterback in the NFC West, and one of the top 5 in the league is probably breaking down that loss as my digits hit these keys. The league is Witness, and so are you. Revel in it, players like this guy are rare. As are people like Russell. In fact, let's take just a second and celebrate Russell Wilson the human. I see and read the effect he has on people who resolve to do better in life because they admire how he is living his. Lets not Deify the man, but lets all take a moment and see how we can imitate his best. Do you know where your nearest children's hospital is? Do you know that you don't have to be a football player to volunteer your most valuable resource, your time? Russell knows. Positivity and a humble attitude can be contagious. We saw what it can do to a team, see what it can do for you. I know I will try my damnedest.

Good stuff Scott but this paragraph was your best work.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2qsdlof1 said:
Scottemojo":2qsdlof1 said:
T-Sizzle":2qsdlof1 said:
Disagree with you on Bruce.
Why?

Because it's the same ridiculous argument we hear from impatient fans this board is littered with.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Max Unger is weak and will never be a good player-- despite playing his rookie year out of position and then being injured for nearly his entire 2nd year. In year 3 and now year 4 he is arguably our best Offensive lineman and in the top 2-3 players on the offense.

Golden Tate- Golden sucks and will never become a great player, this was said after a very nondescript 1st year. Further said after his 2nd year in which the 2nd half of the season was very strong. INterestingly enough he ended 2012 with only 10 more catches than he had in 2011.

By making these snap judgements like you make in the OP, you are denying the most basic truth in player development. The majority of players take significant steps forward from year 1- 2. So why are you suggesting that Irvin can't do that?

Poeple keep saying that he's too light to play the run, I've got news for you Clemmons is only 5 pounds heavier than Irvin and he does just fine. It's not unheard of for players to pack on 5-10 pounds in 1 offseason. I think with another offseason under his belt he'll become much more consistent. WIll he be able to take over for Clemmons? Only time will tell.

Just look at this roster you see a substantial amount of evidence of players improving production from year 1 to year 2. Chancellor was a spot duty player as a rookie only to start and be very effective in year 2. Sherman has improved on his play from 2011 and become even better. Browner has been better as a 2nd year starter getting less penalties this year.

KJ Wright was terrific this year as a 2nd year player. Just think how Bobby Wagner, Jeremy Lane, Robert Turbin and Gregg Scruggs will be with a year under their belts.
Hey, I was way off on Unger. Might turn out to be Ruskell's best pick. I hope I am way off on Irvin too.

But I didn't say I thought Irvin was limited physically. Or by size. I said I haven't seen anything to suggest he will be more than a speed rusher. Hell, he might get real good at it. Like Aldon Smith good. I just haven't seen anything to suggest he will be a 3 down run player. After the draft Pete said publicly he thought Irvin would play something like 700 snaps, and Irvin ended up with about half that. He has not had the first year Pete wanted either.

pehawk

Reaction score
To be fair, Unger also got the virtue of the greatest OLine coach of all-time (briefly) and the current heavyweight champion of OL coaches.

Maybe the Dline coach sucks?

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":12iftxx5 said:
To be fair, Unger also got the virtue of the greatest OLine coach of all-time (briefly) and the current heavyweight champion of OL coaches.

Maybe the Dline coach sucks?
I kinda think it is more personnel than scheme. Red was never good in th emiddle, Branch has always been a 2 gapper, and Clemons was a journeyman til he got here. The D-line coach didn't make Red lose contain on those opening two series vs the Skins.