STAND IN THE POCKET AND THROW THE BALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1hhubjpq said:
SeaChase":1hhubjpq said:
I think you should learn football. 300lb guys aren't quick and nimble and when a Qb is scrambling around and changing directions it does make it that much harder to block.

Actually you should know football if 300lb guys do not block it forces a QB to move. So if they want him to not move they shold do their jobs.

Russell Wilson has happy feet.

Russell Wilson in the pocket:

Giphy

Ozzy

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1fx2oh6c said:
Anthony!":1fx2oh6c said:
MontanaHawk05":1fx2oh6c said:
Peyton Manning had an awful O-line in Indianapolis. It was quickly revealed to be bad as soon as he was replaced there by Curtis Painter.

David Carr had a good O-line in Houston. Everyone quickly realized it once Matt Schaub stepped in for him and improved the offense, while Carr's sack rate followed him every team he went to.

The QB has a huge role in his own pass protection.

Agreed it does, without Rw this oline would look even worse.

And with Peyton Manning behind it, it might be mistaken for the best of all time.

Of such influence is the role of a QB.

Manning would get destroyed with our line and our receivers. The reason he is able to get the ball out quick is in part because he is throwing to an unbelievable WR/TE group. Give Wilson DThomas, JThomas, Sanders, Welker etc. and see what he does. Not really a fair comparison.

I haven't heard anyone outside of a couple of guys on this message board lay most of the blame on Wilson for the lack of protection and/or the O-line struggles. Not saying he is never at fault because at times he is, but to say its mainly him is laughable. The line when healthy is average in pass protection. Take away a key member or two like Unger and it is bad. That isn't even debatable.

This topic has some common threads to any religious or political debate. Someone is married to a side and therefore nothing can move them off their mark despite evidence to the contrary.

Anthony!

Reaction score
SonicHawk":rzl2xebn said:
Anthony!":rzl2xebn said:
SeaChase":rzl2xebn said:
I think you should learn football. 300lb guys aren't quick and nimble and when a Qb is scrambling around and changing directions it does make it that much harder to block.

Actually you should know football if 300lb guys do not block it forces a QB to move. So if they want him to not move they shold do their jobs.

Russell Wilson has happy feet.

Russell Wilson in the pocket:

Giphy

Thats actully funny, given the prorus oline he just might have happy feet, better happy feet then a QB unable to play.

Anthony!

Reaction score
austinslater25":niq6ahv3 said:
MontanaHawk05":niq6ahv3 said:
Anthony!":niq6ahv3 said:
MontanaHawk05":niq6ahv3 said:
Peyton Manning had an awful O-line in Indianapolis. It was quickly revealed to be bad as soon as he was replaced there by Curtis Painter.

David Carr had a good O-line in Houston. Everyone quickly realized it once Matt Schaub stepped in for him and improved the offense, while Carr's sack rate followed him every team he went to.

The QB has a huge role in his own pass protection.

Agreed it does, without Rw this oline would look even worse.

And with Peyton Manning behind it, it might be mistaken for the best of all time.

Of such influence is the role of a QB.

Manning would get destroyed with our line and our receivers. The reason he is able to get the ball out quick is in part because he is throwing to an unbelievable WR/TE group. Give Wilson DThomas, JThomas, Sanders, Welker etc. and see what he does. Not really a fair comparison.

I haven't heard anyone outside of a couple of guys on this message board lay most of the blame on Wilson for the lack of protection and/or the O-line struggles. Not saying he is never at fault because at times he is, but to say its mainly him is laughable. The line when healthy is average in pass protection. Take away a key member or two like Unger and it is bad. That isn't even debatable.

This topic has some common threads to any religious or political debate. Someone is married to a side and therefore nothing can move them off their mark despite evidence to the contrary.

I agree WIlson does bare some responsiblity but he is far from the main issue.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, on at least FIVE of those sacks, they didn't even have someone back there to help him w/blocking. Yeah, I guess it's his fault that there is ZERO blocking on those plays :roll:

Ozzy

Reaction score
[/quote]I agree WIlson does bare some responsiblity but he is far from the main issue.[/quote]

Agree 100% and apparently so does anyone who covers the team, national pundits....well everyone accept a couple of football savants on this board. :snack:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SonicHawk":ql2ks7wy said:
Cartire":ql2ks7wy said:
Well, panties are officially bunched I can tell. But I said nothing about RW and his amazingness. I just pointed out your use of QBR. Thats all I did.

But, while were at it. I see you are now in the overall yards factor..... ouch.....

QBR is one of a billion stats that say RWs performance was no better than an average, good-enough performance.

But, go ahead and hop on the QBR bandwagon hate, I mean, it's easier than having your own opinion.
I think Russ was good yesterday but not great. With that out of the way, I freaking hate QBR. Until the Eastcoastbiased Sports Programming Network comes clean on how it is calculated, it will be nothing more than a media creation much like the "Lynch is unhappy", "the Seahawks are tired of Lynch's act", etc. crap that network spews endlessly.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":677bsyx6 said:
Well, on at least FIVE of those sacks, they didn't even have someone back there to help him w/blocking. Yeah, I guess it's his fault that there is ZERO blocking on those plays :roll:
It is his fault. Whenever we went into those empty sets, Arizona defaulted to a blitz every time. Our line physically did not have enough manpower to block every single one of those rushers. Their strategy with the blitzing? It was to keep Wilson in the pocket, and occupy the tackles with their ends. The result was rushers running free off the edges. When that happens you almost always have a receiver running free. It's Russell's responsibility to recognize the blitz and change the play call to something more appropriate or have that hot route ready. The blitz has always been something that Wilson has struggled with.

Wilson most definitely makes the line look worse than it is. He holds onto the ball for WAY too long, and he's always struggled reading blitzes. Wilson will not make the next step as a QB until he learns to be a better pocket passer. His running ability is nice, but in some ways it has really limited his development as QB. I feel like he really struggles when he is not able to improvise.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":11jjgslg said:
SoulfishHawk":11jjgslg said:
It is his fault. Whenever we went into those empty sets, Arizona defaulted to a blitz every time. Our line physically did not have enough manpower to block every single one of those rushers. Their strategy with the blitzing? It was to keep Wilson in the pocket, and occupy the tackles with their ends. The result was rushers running free off the edges. When that happens you almost always have a receiver running free. It's Russell's responsibility to recognize the blitz and change the play call to something more appropriate or have that hot route ready. The blitz has always been something that Wilson has struggled with.

Wilson most definitely makes the line look worse than it is. He holds onto the ball for WAY too long, and he's always struggled reading blitzes. Wilson will not make the next step as a QB until he learns to be a better pocket passer. His running ability is nice, but in some ways it has really limited his development as QB. I feel like he really struggles when he is not able to improvise.

The post of the day! :th2thumbs:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Who do you think knows more about the position, blitzes, line assignments etc. Spin Doctor or Brock Huard?

SeaChase

Reaction score
austinslater25":sbavje2f said:
Who do you think knows more about the position, blitzes, line assignments etc. Spin Doctor or Brock Huard?

Brock who? He is a Doctor...

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
austinslater25":3f7rdafc said:
Was it not true that they sent more men than we could block? I do not see how this is difficult to comprehend. Every Time that we went into our empty sets the Cardinals decided to sell out on the blitz. When you have 6 guys and 5 blockers bad things are going to happen if you don't see your check down option, or hot read.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, they win that game in great part by him taking over in the 4th quarter. Doesn't matter how you start, it matters how you finish. He had one of his best games of the season, yet still not good enough for some.

Cartire

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":161zv9q3 said:
SoulfishHawk":161zv9q3 said:

I cant access Game Rewind right now because Monday Night Football is on. But ill watch it again afterward. Im pretty sure RW was only sacked once on an empty set. So, while you may have a smidgen of a point, one sack on empty sets doesnt seem like a trend of a QB who cant read the blitz.

Its starting to look like people in this thread, to prove their point, are trying harder and harder to make wilson look worse then he was.

Are you guys really ready to call it quits on Wilson? Because...well.... shut up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, the fact is that for MANY plays there was nobody back there to help him. As soon as he got the ball snapped to him, almost immediately there were numerous Cards players ready to pounce on him. But I guess that's his fault :roll:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":ljld5zgx said:
austinslater25":ljld5zgx said:
Was it not true that they sent more men than we could block? I do not see how this is difficult to comprehend. Every Time that we went into our empty sets the Cardinals decided to sell out on the blitz. When you have 6 guys and 5 blockers bad things are going to happen if you don't see your check down option, or hot read.

Wait....the Seahawks offensive game plan includes hot-reads?...wth

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":35x2rkk0 said:
Well, the fact is that for MANY plays there was nobody back there to help him. As soon as he got the ball snapped to him, almost immediately there were numerous Cards players ready to pounce on him. But I guess that's his fault :roll:
It is his fault. In that situation as a QB you are supposed to recognize the blitz. I've hardly ever seen Wilson audible. Keep this in mind when a team is blitzing you have opportunities in the passing game. There is a reason why teams hardly ever blitz Manning. Somebody is always open on blitzes, especially in 5 WR sets. Especially if you run routes in the direction of the blitz.

Wilson is a good QB but he lacks the fine nuances of his trade.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1j391rpv said:
Spin Doctor":1j391rpv said:
austinslater25":1j391rpv said:

Wait....the Seahawks offensive game plan includes hot-reads?...wth
That also falls on the Quarterback, it's his job to identify where the pass rush is coming from and adjust accordingly. This is an area that Russell Wilson has trouble with. Even in John Gruden's little segment when he was drafted that was the one area he was criticizing Wilson in. He has got to be better at exploiting the blitz and managing the pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.