So it all comes down to the Detroit Lions...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Based on the schedule of games next weekend, I think they'll have the Sea/Rams and Det/GB game running at the same time. Most likely both will be 1pm PST starts. I'm guessing the NYG/Eagles game will be the Sunday night game.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Why even watch football if you all think it's rigged?

Hawks ain't going nowhere in the playoffs with Geno at the helm anyway. At this point, it's better to not make it and move up the draft order.
Personally I don’t think NFL football is rigged.

I do however realize that certain outcomes benefit the NFL more so than others.

I also realize that certain actions can be taken to nudge things towards the more beneficial/profitable outcomes.

Officiating is probably the easiest way to nudge or steer, and I’ve certainly witnessed some calls/non calls over the years that have no reasonable explanation other than steering.

Scheduling is another less obvious/blatant way, and certainly date/time slot “flexing” can contribute.

Nope, I don’t buy into the “rigged” conspiracy but I do believe that things can get nudged a bit when it fits the more desirable outcome.

That’s why I said it will be interesting to see how the officiating goes in the last week of regular season.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It has been a strange year. Going into the final week, there are 4 teams in the NFC (Eagles, Cowboys, Niners, and Vikings) and 3 in the AFC (Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals) that are still in contention for the #1 seed and a first-round bye. I could easily see a team like the Packers going to the Super Bowl. I don't remember something like that happening before.

But that doesn't deter the fact that the playoffs are bloated with very mediocre teams, like the Patriots, Steelers, Chargers, Giants, et al.
I agree its super bloated. I'm a fan just because it gets more people excited but it makes the product worse for sure.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Based on the schedule of games next weekend, I think they'll have the Sea/Rams and Det/GB game running at the same time. Most likely both will be 1pm PST starts. I'm guessing the NYG/Eagles game will be the Sunday night game.
Shouldn't Tennesse vs Jacksonville be the Sunday night game, seeing as it is literally a playoff game? Whoever wins that is in the playoffs and whoever loses is out, period. Situations like that before have always been slated for Sunday night (see Seahawks vs Rams 2009ish, and Chargers vs Raiders last year)

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Shouldn't Tennesse vs Jacksonville be the Sunday night game, seeing as it is literally a playoff game? Whoever wins that is in the playoffs and whoever loses is out, period. Situations like that before have always been slated for Sunday night (see Seahawks vs Rams 2009ish, and Chargers vs Raiders last year)
This is the typical way things go and they try to have games that are interlocked in their playoff implications play at the same time, so standalone 'win and in' playoff games typically get the primetime slot.

Issue this year is that, for example, there are a LOT of games that have implications for the #1 seed. Technically, there are three games that have implications for the #7 seed as well (in addition to our game and Packers/Lions, Dallas/Washington has implications for both the #1 seed and #7 seed in the unlikely possibility of both our game and Pack/Lions end in ties).

So, we'll see how they schedule Sunday and whether the NFL gives the Packers a benefit by scheduling their game after ours, which is unlikely and if so happens, will be about as clear as a 'steering' decision as can be made.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ESPN has that game listed for Saturday night.

pmedic920

Reaction score
NFL.com has all the Sunday games listed as TBD. CURRENTLY

I was under the assumption that we played before the packers (bad info).

We still have hope that us and the packers will play simultaneously. Imho that’s the best possible scenario.

RiverDog

Reaction score

NFL.com has all the Sunday games listed as TBD. CURRENTLY

I was under the assumption that we played before the packers (bad info).

We still have hope that us and the packers will play simultaneously. Imho that’s the best possible scenario.
I'm not sure what the competitive advantage is with regard to kickoff times. If we know that the Packers are winning, we pull our starters. So what? Are we concerned that we might lose the game and get a higher draft pick? How would that give an advantage to the Packers?

If anything, I would think that the two Saturday games, for example, Chiefs @ Raiders at 1:30 PT, would give them an advantage as it would give them an extra day of rest before they start the playoffs if they have to play in the wild card round.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the competitive advantage is with regard to kickoff times. If we know that the Packers are winning, we pull our starters. So what? Are we concerned that we might lose the game and get a higher draft pick? How would that give an advantage to the Packers?

If anything, I would think that the two Saturday games, for example, Chiefs @ Raiders at 1:30 PT, would give them an advantage as it would give them an extra day of rest before they start the playoffs if they have to play in the wild card round.
If they give Packers a later--instead of matching--time slot, if we win, Lions have nothing to play for but pride, which gives the Packers an advantage.

chrispy

Reaction score
Is everyone just automatically assuming the Rams game is an easy W? Maybe I'm an eternal cynic, but it would be so Seahawks to see the Lions get the Wildcard spot. The Rams are just as motivated to kick the Seahawks out of the playoffs as the Lions would be v the Pack. Bobby Wagner might have something to say about it.... Additionally, Seahawks have arguably lost to worse teams than the depleted Rams already this season. ...just sayin...

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Is everyone just automatically assuming the Rams game is an easy W? Maybe I'm an eternal cynic, but it would be so Seahawks to see the Lions get the Wildcard spot. The Rams are just as motivated to kick the Seahawks out of the playoffs as the Lions would be v the Pack. Bobby Wagner might have something to say about it.... Additionally, Seahawks have arguably lost to worse teams than the depleted Rams already this season. ...just sayin...
True, but we also beat teams EXACTLY as good as the Rams this season. Namely, you know... the Rams.

No one is assuming it's an automatic W, simply acknowledging that making it so that us winning would give the Packers an advantage in the playoff hunt would be a garbage move by the NFL.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I really do not care one way or the other if Seattle somehow goes to playoffs or not.

Playing the Rams even when the Rams are struggling themselves is an absolute struggle for Seattle as well.

Seattle got swept by the NFC South, how competitive is Seattle, really?

The defense is still wet toilet paper soft and if Seattles goes to playoffs they will get exposed and wrecked some more.

RiverDog

Reaction score
If they give Packers a later--instead of matching--time slot, if we win, Lions have nothing to play for but pride, which gives the Packers an advantage.
OK, I suppose in that case where the Lions are still in the hunt and need us to lose that it would make a difference. That's something I didn't consider.

But, of course, there's the problem that if we go up by 4 TD's over the Rams at halftime, that the Lions start pulling some of their starters. So do we try to keep the score close in the first half?

pmedic920

Reaction score

Even if we win we need Detroit to beat the packers.
If we do win it eliminates Detroit.
If Detroit knows going in that they have zero chance I’m not convinced they play the same game.

I guess it’s just a matter of perspective.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Even if we win we need Detroit to beat the packers.
If we do win it eliminates Detroit.
If Detroit knows going in that they have zero chance I’m not convinced they play the same game.

I guess it’s just a matter of perspective.
Yeah, I just realized that after being corrected.

I'm not sure how much flexibility the league has to jack around the start times. There might be some other, legitimate reasons for scheduling a kickoff at a certain time, like a conflict with a hockey or basketball game, weather considerations, etc.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Detroit will beat Green Bay in the morning game, and then in the afternoon Seattle will lose in on a last second field goal.

morgulon1

Reaction score
We lost a handful of games that we shouldn't have lost. Seattle shows promise at times and they show regression the next week. I , as a fan want them to make the playoffs. I think there are only positives in them making the tournament (draft position be damned) . However , if they fail to make it this year , It should be a valuable lesson and they can move forward by getting the pieces needed and getting rid of the players who haven't made the impact .

morgulon1

Reaction score
Usually it's one game a year we say "dang, that's the one that came back to haunt us."

This year it was several. We had multiple chances to not be in this situation to count on the Lions but here we are.
Yes. This year there were at least 3 games Seattle should have been able to win that they simply choked. That's not a playoff team.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Why even watch football if you all think it's rigged?

Hawks ain't going nowhere in the playoffs with Geno at the helm anyway. At this point, it's better to not make it and move up the draft order.
You know movies and TV shows aren't real right? But you still watch those. Its the same thing...its entertainment.