So it all comes down to the Detroit Lions...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
In the end, it's all opinion. Gotta' beat the Rams first, I doubt that will be even close to a cake walk. Stranger things have happened.

I'll never forget that game, and that call by the play by play guy. Arizona was 3-12 going in to that game. Absolutely nothing to play for.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I wonder if there’s even one player in the NFL that doesn’t have the Super Bowl set as his goal.

I don’t see how knowing you have no chance doesn’t affect you.

I believe the human nature thing is real and applicable in this situation.

I hope the lions win even if, especially if we don’t but nobody will convince me that us winning our game won’t affect the lions mentality.
Going to the Super Bowl is just one motivation for players to play hard. Another is keeping their jobs. No one is going to want to be seen on film as putting out anything less than 100% effort.

Each person is different, but I don't see the removal of one goal as necessarily causing the comprising of another.

Even if we win Sunday and eliminate the Lions from the playoffs, Dan Campbell in particular is still going to be highly motivated to beat the Packers. He has the opportunity to eliminate from the playoffs a division rival that the Lions have seldom beaten at all, not to mention in a playoff-like environment in their home stadium. It would be a nice feather in his cap and give him some bragging rights over his counterparts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not only knocking off a rival, but knocking them out of the playoffs. Plus, having a shot at the first winning season in a very long time. It also sends a message that this isn't just the same old Lions. Plenty to play for. And of course a team has next level motivation if there is a playoff spot on the line. Again, still have to beat the Rams.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Not too likely that TCU will beat Michigan either...
The two pick sixes were killers but even with those the Wolverines had a chance had they not been screwed by a bad call on the Wilson TD and a late targeting no-call that could have set Michigan up for a couple more shots at the endzone.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The two pick sixes were killers but even with those the Wolverines had a chance had they not been screwed by a bad call on the Wilson TD and a late targeting no-call that could have set Michigan up for a couple more shots at the endzone.
Coaching was a HUGE factor in that game. 3 trips inside the 5, they get 3 points total. Got cute that first drive, cute doesn't cut it. Sure that was a crap call on the touchdown, but when you have 1st and goal at the 1, there's really no excuse to not score. I wanted TCU, but Michigan had several chances.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Also, I found this kind of interesting.
Yes, that's right. The Seattle Seahawks drew the 2 largest audiences in TV history in the United States.
At the risk of blowing up this board.....

Because Russell Wilson.....

pmedic920

Reaction score
Going to the Super Bowl is just one motivation for players to play hard. Another is keeping their jobs. No one is going to want to be seen on film as putting out anything less than 100% effort.

Each person is different, but I don't see the removal of one goal as necessarily causing the comprising of another.

Even if we win Sunday and eliminate the Lions from the playoffs, Dan Campbell in particular is still going to be highly motivated to beat the Packers. He has the opportunity to eliminate from the playoffs a division rival that the Lions have seldom beaten at all, not to mention in a playoff-like environment in their home stadium. It would be a nice feather in his cap and give him some bragging rights over his counterparts.
I agree with you and am not taking the stance that the Lions can’t or won’t play hard and possibly even beat the packers.

My stance is that knowing they have no chance at making the playoffs will affect the Lions to some degree or another.
I believe a level of Human nature and psychology come into play.

I also believe firmly that the best case scenario would have been for the Lions game and ours to played in the same time slot on the same day.

Just my opinion, I certainly can’t prove anything in regards.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think GB would win that game regardless. But no way to really prove it either way. GB at home, with the refs helping out, and Detroit has won 3 times out there since 1993.

Vesuve

Reaction score
This guy I follow, wifi Willy, comments on how the change of the GB-Detroit games hurts the Seahawks.

It does make some sense, and there are many (as we've read) who don't like GB officiating and bias towards Mr. Rogers.

Thoughts and opinions?

NJlargent

Reaction score
I think Green Bay wins regardless too. But there were many years in the 90s where I would have begged for a playoff spot to come down to needing one team to beat another on the last week to get us in so im just going to enjoy the day and feel young again.

Wheetie

Reaction score
I think Green Bay wins regardless too. But there were many years in the 90s where I would have begged for a playoff spot to come down to needing one team to beat another on the last week to get us in so im just going to enjoy the day and feel young again.
Like I mentioned in another thread, it's 6 hours of fun on Sunday instead of 3. If Detroit pulls it out, having meaningful playoff football next week is another week of enjoying the excitement and anticipation.