smokin jay gets 7 year long contract

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Gotta agree with just about everything said. Cutler joins the overpaid QB club. The dude is getting paid roughly 18mil/year and he's accomplished nothing but mediocre stats with the Bears.

I sincerely hope RW realizes that a QB can't take up 20%+ of a cap and think he can still have a team built around him. That is a stupid amount of money for the definition of average that could inflate the QB market even more.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3lx3y5t4 said:
I'd take Cutler over Romo any day of the week, and I'm not a huge Cutler fan. It should also be remembered that the Chicago Bears have a long and storied history of horrendous QBs. Plenty of people in Chicago believe he's the best QB the franchise has ever had, which just speaks volumes about how few guys can play that position really well.
Name some of the great Bear QB's.

Bet you can name a ton of great Bear players, Butkis, Payton, Sayers, etc. but you probably had to stop and think a bit about a great Bear QB. Good Bear Qb's are a pretty short list.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The way I see it, football is a devastating sport and the elite players owe it to themselves and their families to go out there and squeeze every penny out of it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
drdiags":20ar6f5p said:
This tweet was puzzling, if I understand what he is saying, he thinks Wilson will be getting close to $30M/yr. That would blow my mind.

Blake Baratz ‏@blakebaratz 4h
On the open market its not crazy that Cutler would have received $25Mil a year or more and a year from March Russell Wilson may hit $30M/Yr

Here is his reasoning, so not sure I agree with his thinking

Jeremy Pugh ‏@21Swagger 4h
@blakebaratz RW will get paid but he's not touching $30M per

Blake Baratz

@21Swagger if P. Harvin makes $5M more a yr then the next best slot WR then why is it far fetched that 2yrs from now R Wilson does the same?

Jeremy Pugh ‏@21Swagger 4h
@blakebaratz 1)cap expected to be relatively flat in 2015 2)RW not going to be highest paid QB 3)harvin paid as offensive weapon, not slot
What was Aikman paid in relation to other elite quarterbacks of his era?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3jm74q1v said:
DavidSeven":3jm74q1v said:
I'd take Cutler over Romo any day of the week, and I'm not a huge Cutler fan. It should also be remembered that the Chicago Bears have a long and storied history of horrendous QBs. Plenty of people in Chicago believe he's the best QB the franchise has ever had, which just speaks volumes about how few guys can play that position really well.
Name some of the great Bear QB's.

Bet you can name a ton of great Bear players, Butkis, Payton, Sayers, etc. but you probably had to stop and think a bit about a great Bear QB. Good Bear Qb's are a pretty short list.

That's sort of the point. Even halfway decent QBs are hard to come by in this league. The Bears know that better than anyone besides maybe Cleveland. And that's why Cutler gets paid. Could they do better? Yes. But they could also get stuck with guys who crap the bed for the next decade or longer.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3mlpptyk said:
QBs making 20% of a cap is killing football.
Exactly, no player should make 20% of a team's cap. Not the number one corner or a franchise QB. It only hurts the team signing one guy to mega deals and killing cap space. Brady elected to change his contract so the team was able to sign other players. Baltimore and Greenbay declined after committing so much to one position.
I love our team, our guys, but no thanks to signing anyone to 25-30 million.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If RW signs for less than he's worth so that we can keep a great team around him and win multiple super bowls...wouldn't he wind up making even more money with endorsements, selling books, etc that would come along with being a multi super bowl winner? I think of a guy like Jordan who I have to believe made more money with all that than he did playing, although I am too lazy to look it up :)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
fenderbender123":524lajig said:
If RW signs for less than he's worth so that we can keep a great team around him and win multiple super bowls...wouldn't he wind up making even more money with endorsements, selling books, etc that would come along with being a multi super bowl winner? I think of a guy like Jordan who I have to believe made more money with all that than he did playing, although I am too lazy to look it up :)

Michael Jordan earned obscene salaries for playing basketball at the end of his career. In '98, he was paid $33 million, which remains the highest single year salary ever paid to a player some 15 years later.

People get paid what they're worth. As Mike Rob once said on RRR, you don't turn down money.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2x5zoeeo said:
fenderbender123":2x5zoeeo said:

Michael Jordan earned obscene salaries for playing basketball at the end of his career. In '98, he was paid $33 million, which remains the highest single year salary ever paid to a player some 15 years later.

People get paid what they're worth. As Mike Rob once said on RRR, you don't turn down money.

33m is insane, but MJ was worth every penny putting people in those seats and still winning championships in the late 90's. Cutler is well, Cutler...

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
fenderbender123":6sgjykfm said:

From my perspective, Russell Wilson is already financially set for life. Money will be the least of his worries.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Thing is I don't think the NFLP would allow for an obvious underpay just like baseball. If he's as good as we think he is he'll get paid. For example say he wins the next two Superbowls?

pocketprotector

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2gdafxrk said:
Thing is I don't think the NFLP would allow for an obvious underpay just like baseball. If he's as good as we think he is he'll get paid. For example say he wins the next two Superbowls?

The NFLPA doesn't have a say. And why would they care? The union agreed to a floor to the roster spending so that money just goes into the pocket of other players.

If it were me I would ask for a fully guaranteed, $5mil/yr, 15yr deal. That allows you, your family and children to live comfortably for life. It also allows cap space for a powerful team to be built around you, which brings success. And success brings big time ad money.