Sherman says he'll sue league if suspended

Atradees

Reaction score
I don't like the Idea of one all powerful commissioner carrying out the agenda. Reminds me of that ahole Stern. gooddell is trying to weaken our game.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think that if a employer uses a drug test to valodate it's employees and then mishandles or doesn ot follow procedures that can casue that employee to lose income and hurt the rest of his fellow employess chances to accomplish goals as well as the people that are helping support them then it is a violation of that employees rights.

You can't use a arbitrary test method without a handling procedure that needs to be followed to insure there is now doubt abiut the test sample.

Additionally if found positive it is defammation of his character and name, being called a cheater and a druggie and being declared so nationally by your employer.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
To me, if the NFL suspends him, it's a 'replacement ref' scenario all over again. The integrity of the testing process was compromised by substandard 'officiating,' but hey, it only affects one player and one team in Southern Alaska. Nobody will pay attention to that, and, if the suspension ends up being the difference maker in us not making the SB, justice will be served in everyone's else's eyes. Especially if golden boy and his cheeze heads make it to the big dance.

cdallan

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2nvax5ix said:
Witch hunt? Umm it's a fact that players were involved in the "bounty-Gate Scandal. Tags confirmed that, except he though the punishment needed to be on the coaches only. THere is nothing Tagliabue's findings that exonorate the players from there actions. Sure Vilma can sue, but for what? He wasn't allowed to play, but he has been getting paid while this has all been sorted out (from what I've heard). Furthermore, Vilma will hard time proving libel/slander against Goodell.

I don't really get all the Goodell hate quite frankly. The commish isn't supposed to be liked by the players, he's the sheriff and he's running a tight ship. What I find most remarkable is that you all seem to blame Goodell, but give Demaurice Smith a free pass. He was the one the who negotiated the new CBA and allowed the Commish this ridiculous amount of power.

1 - re the above post, I still have not seen any stories confirming there was any evidence that Scott Fujita took part in the bounty scheme, yet he received a ban. You will remember that Fujita published a letter which he sent to Goodell. I have yet to see any explanation as to why Fujita was punished. On an unrelated note, Fujita is an NFLPA player rep.

2 - the further we get from the player strike, the more blood Demaurice Smith seems to have on his hands. From the stories over the last couple of days, it seems that the section on the CBA on drug testing is a mess. The system is one of strict liability - if something is found in your system, then you are guilty, irrespective of how it got there. That seems fair, until you consider that there have been cases of contaminated dietary supplements, etc.

3 - strict liability for test results may be fairly strong, but it is consistent and fair. However, the MLB agreement appears to contain a detailed protocol as to howw drug tests will be administered. From the stories which have been reported over the last couple of days, the NFL CBA seems to contain no protocols at all. This is where the system is potentially unfair - you will be punished if any trace of PEDs are found as a result of your TEST, but there are no safeguards in place to ensure that the test is administered correctly or that contamination cannot occur.

4 - I don't believe in conspiracy theories, mainly because large governments/organisations are inherently incompetent. I do, however, do believe that there is no limit to incompetence and/or laziness. Let's say you go for a drug test. The cup is leaking, so they put another one underneath. You think nothing of it, because (a) you have not been told by your union as to the protocols to be followed, because there aren't any, and (b) it's literally a piece of piss, as you haven't taken any drugs. You then find out you are going to be punished for a drug you didn't take. You tell an expert about the test, to be told that because of the way the test was conducted, contamination could have occurred. You would be annoyed, but more so when you find out that you will be held to be 100% guilty despite the fact that the test is administered in a way which does not guarantee 100% accuracy.

5 - the CBA seems to contain provisions which prevent players taking grievances with the league to court. However, althought the NFL can impose the suspension, there is the question of the damage done to the individual, both economic and reputationally. The NFL engages these drug testers, and therefore may be vicariously liable for their ctions. If the tester has been negligent, then the NFL may be liable for the damage. Oh, the CBA prevents the players taking matters to court. Any attorneys out there? Given that this impacts Sherman's individual reputation, isn't he constitutionally entitled to take the matter to court notwithstanding the CBA? It may be difficult for him to prove that the testers were negligent and this resulted in a false positive, but it's not impossible.

6 - I would contribute $50 to any fund for Sherman to bring a court action.

cdallan

Reaction score
7 - do I believe Sherman will be successful when the results of his appeal are announced today? No. Why? PRECEDENT. If the NFL admitted any fault in the testing procedures in this case, then a bunch of ambulance chasers would scurry from the woodwork to go to all of the players who have been found guilty before and get them to raise actions. The waters have been muddied enough to mean that the results of any action agains the NFL would be uncertain, so if we raise an action we can possibly force a settlement out of them.

Better for the NFL to maintain the facade that the tests are 100% accurate, rather than risk that. Which means that Sherm becomes a high profile patsy.

djb28

Reaction score
All this Super Bowl talk? We haven't even played the games yet. And If we don't make it that far then it hinders our start for next season.

If we are playing these games without Sherman, I do not think we make it that far anyway. He is a major factor in our games and someone
would really have to step up above and beyond the call of duty! ( which can happen. Hell anything can happen as this season has proven.)

NYCoug

Reaction score
SeaTown81":qspeldd4 said:
So Sherm's saying this tester mixed urine samples. Wow. That's some accusation.

Come to think of it. 3 of our players (Sherman, Browner, and Guy) all tested positive for the same drug. If I'm to take Sherman's accusation at face value and put my "the world hates Seattle for the GB game and the NFL would love nothing more than for us to go away and that game to have no impact on the postseason" conspiracy hat on for just a second.

What better way to see to it than to have a positive drug test from an insignificant player like Winston Guy and mix it with the two giant cb's that make Seattle's defense so effective and unique?

At the time Seattle's offense had not yet bloomed, and it was the defense alone keeping the Hawks in playoff contention. If you're the NFL and want that damn GB game wiped out of significance, what better way to see to it that Seattle's chances are dashed than to eliminate it's 2 defensive players that everyone says makes it work?

For the record, and the sake of annoying SF fans reading this, I am not making this accusation myself, nor do I believe it's the case. My post is MOSTLY comical. BUT...it isn't exactly worth dismissing as an interesting conspiracy theory either. I've read national writers say a million times this season how the NFL doesn't want that game to factor into the postseason. Who is to say that Czar Goodell wouldn't do such a thing and put a hit out of a team NOBODY in the country outside of the PNW cares about? I can think of crazier conspiracies.

All fun aside, I can't see how Sherman doesn't get suspended. The precedent has been set. The league holds all the cards once it rules against a player. And especially a case where the player is talking out against it, accusing it of wrong doing. I honestly think it's a formality at this point. Sherm's just putting on a good show and fighting for the team.

Nothing would surprise me in the least with the NFL. The way they've handled certain things in just the recent past is shady at best. At this point if I'm Sherman, I'd take a friggin lie detector if I honestly didn't do it. Anything to clear my name of something I was falsely accused of. If Goodell thinks he's going to sweep this under the rug and Sherman will go softly into the night because he's just one man, oh damn, he's got another thing coming! This could end up being made into a TV movie where everyone gathers outside of the court room waiting to hear the verdict. Some "In the Name of the Father" type stuff haha

Big day today. Hopefully the NFL doesn't F this one up, again!

mikeak

Reaction score
All of you that are saying NFL is holding to a flawed procedure etc etc

SHERMAN IS THE ONLY KNOWN PERSON TO CLAIM THAT THE CUP WAS BROKEN

Lets try this in a different scenario. - Police to murderer - you killed your wife. Guy goes - Nope it wasn't me the fingerprint lab screwed up.

Should the police go OK sorry we should let you go or should the police go ok we will look into that.........

That is all we got right now. ONE person's side of the story through "sources" that the cup was broken etc etc

If the NFL finds this to be correct despite the CBA they will most likely not suspend Sherman. Why? Very simply because they would loose in court and it would be another bad blemish. If they can't collaborate the story then Sherman is busted. Why? Because you can't have every dude get off by claiming that the test was compromised if it can't be proven. You can't have every guy claim the supplement was tainted etc just the way the world works.

Should Maurice have made sure about the other stuff being in the agreement - yes absolutely. Did they focus on the money side and not negotiate enough of all the other stuff on the side while being in disagrement about money - yes absolutely. Once they agreed about money did EITHER side want to hold things up any more and miss games while negotiating stuff like this - NOPE

CPHawk

Reaction score
Didn't a MLB guy get off last year for the same reason? If it was not handled right, then the NFL has no choice IMO but to not suspend him. That's like you getting fired from your job even though you and the company know it was contaminated. Anyone here would sue also for there job back and loss money.

NYCoug

Reaction score
CPHawk":3tj8tg9f said:
Didn't a MLB guy get off last year for the same reason? If it was not handled right, then the NFL has no choice IMO but to not suspend him. That's like you getting fired from your job even though you and the company know it was contaminated. Anyone here would sue also for there job back and loss money.

Ryan Braun of the Milwaukee Brewers. Was just coming off an MVP season when his disputed case came up, which made it even more interesting.

If it's true that the test was not handled right, you're right, in theory they have to not suspend him. However, nothing surprises me with the NFL and the way they handle things under Goodell.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
cdallan":162x01yw said:
7 - do I believe Sherman will be successful when the results of his appeal are announced today? No. Why? PRECEDENT. If the NFL admitted any fault in the testing procedures in this case, then a bunch of ambulance chasers would scurry from the woodwork to go to all of the players who have been found guilty before and get them to raise actions. The waters have been muddied enough to mean that the results of any action agains the NFL would be uncertain, so if we raise an action we can possibly force a settlement out of them.

Better for the NFL to maintain the facade that the tests are 100% accurate, rather than risk that. Which means that Sherm becomes a high profile patsy.

The same tester that tested sherman has had 6 tests thrown out in 6 months....... that is precedent.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3fgynz1q said:
cdallan":3fgynz1q said:

The same tester that tested sherman has had 6 tests thrown out in 6 months....... that is precedent.

Link please.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bestfightstory":jxqldwv4 said:
T-Sizzle":jxqldwv4 said:
cdallan":jxqldwv4 said:

Link please.

That's right!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":27o2fipq said:
cdallan":27o2fipq said:

If that's true, that's going to be the main argument of the appeal. Then the NFL will also have someone to take the fall. They will publicly disgrace that employee if he/she is the issue.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
bestfightstory":31tneapl said:
T-Sizzle":31tneapl said:
cdallan":31tneapl said:

Link please.

Sherman tweeted it on xmas. He just won his appeal. ;)

How is that for PRECEDENT!! :th2thumbs:

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
My brother just told me he won his appeal, is this true?

SeaTown81

Reaction score
I now am starting to believe my "NFL trying to eliminate Seattle due to the GB game" crack pot theory all the more.