Seattle vs. Atlanta matchups

Smellyman

Reaction score
treefidy":147xylou said:
Smellyman":147xylou said:
Like the Denver D and the Atlanta O, Julio transcends what mere mortals are capable of.

Denver doubled him which is why LBs were left to deal with our RBs and Coleman went for 132 yards receiving. This is similar to what the Saints D (except they tripled Julio) and we ran for 217 yards while splitting 240 yards between 8 receivers.

so?

treefidy

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3c89phd2 said:
I would expect Julio to best Sherman a few times if Ryan tries testing him. No corner wins every time out but if they keep testing him I guarantee Ryan ends up picked off. Sherman has THE BEST ball skills in the league.

Julio is faster and stronger than Sherman. Sherman may best him a few times, but Julio will win a majority of the time with no help. Period.

treefidy

Reaction score
Smellyman":2gqwxnzt said:
treefidy":2gqwxnzt said:
Smellyman":2gqwxnzt said:
Like the Denver D and the Atlanta O, Julio transcends what mere mortals are capable of.

Denver doubled him which is why LBs were left to deal with our RBs and Coleman went for 132 yards receiving. This is similar to what the Saints D (except they tripled Julio) and we ran for 217 yards while splitting 240 yards between 8 receivers.

so?

So if you double him, you lose a man to cover the 3-4 other people who can catch a ball on the field. No LB is covering Freeman/Coleman and winning the overall war.

If you don't double him, it doesn't matter who you are, he will get his. Just ask Patrick Peterson.

andyh64000

Reaction score
treefidy":1yqwb411 said:
Smellyman":1yqwb411 said:

OK...I don't know how to make this anymore clear. They will not double Julio. Sherman will take him 1 on 1. He is the best CB in football (not sure why you dispute this) but both players will get theirs at times. And as someone said upthread if Ryan keeps throwing at him he will eventually give up a pick.

You are not the first fan of a high powered offensive to come here and totally discount the home field advantage and talk about lighting up the seahawk D...most never come back. You are not going to be shutout but I guarantee you are not going to win 30-13 either.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
treefidy":3mx9baj9 said:
Natethegreat":3mx9baj9 said:
I would expect Julio to best Sherman a few times if Ryan tries testing him. No corner wins every time out but if they keep testing him I guarantee Ryan ends up picked off. Sherman has THE BEST ball skills in the league.

Julio is faster and stronger than Sherman. Sherman may best him a few times, but Julio will win a majority of the time with no help. Period.
All it takes is one or two interceptions in a game to make a huge difference. Julio is good and my memory may be spotty but I don't recall him going off on us when we have played the Falcons.

Edit: I looked it up. He had 6 receptions for 59 yards and 0 touchdowns in the 2012 playoff game.

treefidy

Reaction score
andyh64000":3fszmjhu said:
OK...I don't know how to make this anymore clear. They will not double Julio. Sherman will take him 1 on 1. He is the best CB in football (not sure why you dispute this) but both players will get theirs at times. And as someone said upthread if Ryan keeps throwing at him he will eventually give up a pick.

You are not the first fan of a high powered offensive to come here and totally discount the home field advantage and talk about lighting up the seahawk D...most never come back. You are not going to be shutout but I guarantee you are not going to win 30-13 either.

I hope you are right. It won't be pretty and they will be forced to double him. I promise, and I'll bet on it.

Any other Seahawk fans agree Sherman will be matched 1v1 on Julio with little to no help?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
treefidy":20wl6nby said:
Natethegreat":20wl6nby said:

Just occurred to me, Mama Pajama is Matt Ryan.

treefidy

Reaction score
Natethegreat":29opla99 said:
treefidy":29opla99 said:
Natethegreat":29opla99 said:

All it takes is one or two interceptions in a game to make a huge difference. Julio is good and my memory may be spotty but I don't recall him going off on us when we have played the Falcons.

He only played against you in 2012. His second season. He was pretty banged up that year and was used as a decoy. We didn't even know if he was going to for sure be able to play that game.

That's where this happened.

RoddyTD_original_original_original.gif

Julio is significantly better and faster than Roddy White. SIGNIFICANTLY.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I honestly really hope Matt Ryan attempts long passes with wind gusts 15-20mph in rainy weather. That would be the best thing to see as a Hawks fan.

How is Roddy White even relevant to this discussion, not to mention from a game 4 years ago?

:roll:

treefidy

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3ks7ztsz said:
I honestly really hope Matt Ryan attempts long passes with wind gusts 15-20mph in rainy weather. That would be the best thing to see as a Hawks fan.

He doesn't have to throw long... He will a few times, the dude grew up in Pennsylvania and played College Football at Boston College. People seem to forget this.

Seattle is a difficult place to play and the home field advantage is great. Quinn will prepare them for that.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I am really nervous now.

Atlanta is a juggernaut.

Hopefully Sherman can manage to hold on. Maybe hold Julio for 10/190? Seattle might have a chance.

all the other All Pros on Seattle's D better be ready because a freight train named Julio is coming to town and he cannot be stopped.

treefidy

Reaction score
Smellyman":3uf2aeek said:
I am really nervous now.

Atlanta is a juggernaut.

Hopefully Sherman can manage to hold on. Maybe hold Julio for 10/190? Seattle might have a chance.

all the other All Pros on Seattle's D better be ready because a freight train named Julio is coming to town and he cannot be stopped.

Atlanta's offense is not Julio. Here's a quote from Aquib Talib.

"Interviewer: Do you think Atlanta showed the blueprint for how to attack the Bronco defense?

Aqib Talib: If other teams can go find themselves a Coleman, good luck."

iigakusei

Reaction score
treefidy":2mudg9gh said:
andyh64000":2mudg9gh said:

I hope you are right. It won't be pretty and they will be forced to double him. I promise, and I'll bet on it.

Any other Seahawk fans agree Sherman will be matched 1v1 on Julio with little to no help?

They might not even have Sherman shadow Jones - we may just run the same defense we always run.
If they do decide to have Sherman shadow Jones they won't double him - that isnt how our defense is structured.
And Sherman did shadow and shut out the best WR in the NFL last year - with no help, so it can be done.

I like your confidence in your team - the Falcons are certainly firing on all cylinders right now and look great. Should be a great matchup Sunday.

Smellyman

Reaction score
treefidy":905610w7 said:
Smellyman":905610w7 said:
I am really nervous now.

Atlanta is a juggernaut.

Atlanta's offense is not Julio. Here's a quote from Aquib Talib.

"Interviewer: Do you think Atlanta showed the blueprint for how to attack the Bronco defense?

Aqib Talib: If other teams can go find themselves a Coleman, good luck."

Holy smokes! I was nervous before man. Now I am REALLY nervous.

seafence82

Reaction score
Richard Sherman 1 or 2 seasons ago had the 2nd best QB rating against as a CB in the history of the game, it hasn't changed much since then but I can't find a link to give updated results. JJ is great but Sherman has stats better than deion sanders, and pretty much shut down Antonio brown last year. We are hoping you throw at Sherman alot, he wins that battle 90% of the time vs any WR in the game and the stats back that up.

We have more all pros in our secondary than you do on your entire team, the only def in history to lead the lg in ppg for 4 years in a row, and the best home record in the nfl in the last 4 years. Our off has more playmakers than your def, our def has more than your off. There's a reason we are the obvious favorite, no one is saying Atl isn't a good team and will be an easy out but your whole argument is using 1 game vs Denver and very naive.

treefidy

Reaction score
iigakusei":14lohnuf said:
They might not even have Sherman shadow Jones - we may just run the same defense we always run.
If they do decide to have Sherman shadow Jones they won't double him - that isnt how our defense is structured.
And Sherman did shadow and shut out the best WR in the NFL last year - with no help, so it can be done.

I like your confidence in your team - the Falcons are certainly firing on all cylinders right now and look great. Should be a great matchup Sunday.

Antonio Brown is 5'10", 186lbs and runs a 4.46 40.

Julio is 6'3", 220lbs and runs a 4.39.

Sherman is significantly bigger and only slightly slower than Brown. He's not bigger. He's not stronger. He's nearly 2 tenths slower than Julio.

treefidy

Reaction score
seafence82":11cufy7w said:
Richard Sherman 1 or 2 seasons ago had the 2nd best QB rating against as a CB in the history of the game, it hasn't changed much since then but I can't find a link to give updated results. JJ is great but Sherman has stats better than deion sanders, and pretty much shut down Antonio brown last year. We are hoping you throw at Sherman alot, he wins that battle 90% of the time vs any WR in the game and the stats back that up.

We have more all pros in our secondary than you do on your entire team, the only def in history to lead the lg in ppg for 4 years in a row, and the best home record in the nfl in the last 4 years. Our off has more playmakers than your def, our def has more than your off. There's a reason we are the obvious favorite, no one is saying Atl isn't a good team and will be an easy out but your whole argument is using 1 game vs Denver and very naive.

That's good for Sherman. He will not win 90% of the time vs Julio. Sherman succeeds because of his size, speed and strength. Julio is one of the few receivers in the league that best him in all 3 categories.

Smellyman

Reaction score
treefidy":1oa23vad said:
seafence82":1oa23vad said:

That's good for Sherman. He will not win 90% of the time vs Julio. Sherman succeeds because of his size, speed and strength. Julio is one of the few receivers in the league that best him in all 3 categories.

If you knew anything about Sherm you'd know it is his brains, length and insane ball skills that make him elite. Every WR he plays is probably faster than him

treefidy

Reaction score
Smellyman":xtuup06u said:
If you knew anything about Sherm you'd know it is his brains, length and insane ball skills that make him elite. Every WR he plays is probably faster than him

It's definitely his brains and length as well. But you pair that with him being bigger, stronger and faster than nearly every WR and it's a match up nightmare.

Julio has the same intangibles as Sherman. He has the length, he has the brains, he's a VERY good route runner, he has amazing form/technique and he's big, fast and strong.

I honestly don't believe the Seahawks will shadow him with Sherman. It doesn't benefit them in any way.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Julio is not passing the ball though. If Ryan wants to test Sherman I'm all for it. It will be a lot of fun to watch two of the best at their position(Julio and Sherman) go at it.

Latest posts