Seattle vs. Atlanta matchups

FOGHORN

Reaction score
Ok @pccball12 look up about 5 or so posts. You yourself use the 3.3 ypa as a defenensive rushing stat to bolster your opinion. Good to see you don't use stats and only matchups.

Fade

Reaction score
Stats from a 4-5 game sample size. LMAO.

While ignoring 4-5 year body of work, with the same players in their prime.

Smellyman

Reaction score
treefidy":2pxzz7q5 said:
pcbball12":2pxzz7q5 said:
Denver has better premier pass rushers in Miller and Ray, no debate there. However, we rush much differently than them. Avril is better than Ray...period. Bennett rushes from the edge and inside, he might be the most versatile and underrated dlineman in all of football.

However, where we are better than Denver upfront is stopping the run. If not for garbage time runs by Hyde and a fluky 40 yard fumble recovery for a TD against the Jets, our rush defense woulf look even better right now on paper. Playing a Shanahan offense everything starts with stopping the run. I suspect that is goal one for us this week.

Not all of what you are saying on here is untrue. But it is very clear that you know next to nothing about this team and have rarely seen them play.

No doubt Seattle is better against the run. I hope you guys commit to stopping the run. I'd much rather see you stack the box when we line up in "running formations," Your interior pass rush is not better than Denver's. Denver has 6 sacks from their interior line. I think Seattle may have one? Am I wrong?

Seattle doesn't commit to stopping any one thing. They commit to stopping everything, which is why they led the league in scoring D 4 straight seasons, including the unstoppable, unimaginably dominant, best D of all time Denver Broncos which could only be solved by the unstoppable, unimaginably dominant, best O of all time Atlanta Falcons

The D is base, rarely blitzes and plays straight up

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
treefidy":26ckowc6 said:
Hawk_Nation":26ckowc6 said:
Man I must have been sleeping for the past few years. The way some of these guys are talking you would think that Atlanta has been one of the better teams over the past 3 or so years and have wrecked the NFC..

'13 4-12 NO PLAYOFFS
'14 6-10 NO PLAYOFFS
'15 8-8 NO PLAYOFFS

Cool story fellas, make sure you come back and post Sunday evening after a loss.. :irishdrinkers:

Why are we talking about past seasons as though they matter to this game?

Says the guy tacitly comparing the 2016 Broncos D to the 2015 team that also had Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, a healthy Demarcus Ware, and a non-shot-himself-in-the-leg Talib.

treefidy

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2x3unwtg said:
Says the guy tacitly comparing the 2016 Broncos D to the 2015 team that also had Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, a healthy Demarcus Ware, and a non-shot-himself-in-the-leg Talib.

Head on over to the Bronco's board. They will tell you this Defense is better. They told me all week...

Let's not forget. Ware has only played 1.5 games this season.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I will say this, the Steelers came into our house and tore our D apart last year. I don't think its impossible for the Falcons to do the same. I don't expect it though.

treefidy

Reaction score
pcbball12":12h5e2ya said:
Every argument you guys have come from stats on espn. Football is a game of matchups. I've explained my views on our offense and where it's at and what it's done. Not gonna type it all again. You guys can cling onto those stats until Sunday though.

Every argument I have made is a combination of watching football AND looking at stats.

You want to talk Match Ups?

Atl WRs vs Sea DBs/LBs: Edge to Atlanta.
Why: You HAVE to double Julio. Leaving Sanu, Gabriel, Tamme and Freeman/Coleman to be split between your other DBs. Let's not forget 3 TE sets with Hooper/Toilolo/Tamme, Julio/Sanu and Coleman/Freeman on the field.

Atl DBs/LBs vs Sea WRs: Slight Edge to Seattle.
Why: Trufant will take whoever he is lined up on out of the equation for a majority of the game. Alford is good in coverage but will give up some plays as well as commit some dumb penalties. We've dealt with Graham enough to know how to play him. He may go got 60-80 yards and a TD. I'm 100% okay with that. Your backs might contribute a bit in the passing game, but not enough to make this highly favorable. Baldwin MAY go for 100. Doubt it though.

Atl RBs vs Sea DL/LBs: Edge Seattle
Why: This one will be extremely close. I figure Seattle will hold our run game to under our average game rushing. You will not stop them in the passing game though. Period. Slight edge due to the rushing game not being the deciding factor.

Atl DL/LBs vs Sea RBs: Edge Atlanta
Why: We've been fairly decent against the run for a while now. We give up 18 less ypg than the Seahawks D. Seattle's run game is very suspect this year and let's be real, Christine Michael is your starting RB. He would be third on our depth chart.

Atl OL vs Sea DL: Even
Why: Our OL has been a strength for 2 years now. Adding Alex Mack has been wildly perceived as the free agent pick up of the year by a lot of analysts/writers. I think our pass protection will be good, run blocking will be decent, Seattle will have a slight edge there.

Atl DL vs Sea OL: Even
Why: We will get pressure, but not necessarily sacks. Last week it came together for sacks vs a inexperienced QB and a back up RT, but vs Carolina and NO (two of the better pass blocking lines with two of the better sack escape artists) the pressure was there but just missed. I see that happening with Wilson. DL is pretty decent against the run, think we do fine there.

Atl QB vs Sea D: Slight Edge Seattle
Why: Ryan has played well this year. I don't expect him to rack up huge numbers but he will go for 250-300 yards. I think he's good for 1 mistake, but the way he's playing this year, that's it. Hence the slight edge to Seattle.

Atl D vs Sea QB: Slight Edge Seattle
Why: Wilson is mobile and Mobile QBs tend to negate our pressure. I see Wilson going for around 250-300 yards passing. 1-2 TDs and No mistakes.

Atl ST vs Seattle ST: Even
Why: Both teams are very good in the return game. Both teams are very good in coverage. Both Kickers are quality and reliable as hell. Both Punters are good (Bosher might be slightly better.) Doubt either team makes mistakes here.

Overall: It's fairly even and I'm not actually going to dare to call this game yet. I will for sure make my pick later in the week. Atlanta gets theirs. Seattle gets theirs. Hell of a game coming up.

Smellyman

Reaction score
So 3 All pros in Seattle's secondary isn't as good as one Julio? Not to mention the best slot corner in the game?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
treefidy":pklv3qik said:
Sarlacc83":pklv3qik said:

Head on over to the Bronco's board. They will tell you this Defense is better. They told me all week...

Let's not forget. Ware has only played 1.5 games this season.

A ) You seem to have confused me with a Broncos fan. Their opinion doesn't matter.

B) The Broncos D can't be as good as last year because your finesse team scored more than 20 points against them.

treefidy

Reaction score
Smellyman":257k3i4q said:
So 3 All pros in Seattle's secondary isn't as good as one Julio? Not to mention the best slot corner in the game?

No. But 2 are going to have to cover him. I'm not sure I have to explain that concept.

2_0_6

Reaction score
treefidy":323da88t said:
Smellyman":323da88t said:

No. But 2 are going to have to cover him. I'm not sure I have to explain that concept.

So its going to take Sherman and another CB to cover Julio? Since when?

:roll:

treefidy

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3cheugk2 said:
A ) You seem to have confused me with a Broncos fan. Their opinion doesn't matter.

B) The Broncos D can't be as good as last year because your finesse team scored more than 20 points against them.

A.) I do not. But I assure you the Bronco's fans know their defense.

B.) You don't really believe that do you? The Steelers offense put up 550 yards and 30 points on your World Class D last year.

treefidy

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":163aakrh said:
So its going to take Sherman and another CB to cover Julio? Since when?

:roll:

No. Sherman and another DB. More than likely a Safety.

If you want to argue that Sherman can man Julio, you might be insane.

andyh64000

Reaction score
treefidy":1ta6m63w said:
Smellyman":1ta6m63w said:

They are not going to double him. Sherman will follow him and they might cheat safeties a little but they will not double him. I love how you sat Trufant will completely neutralize our number 1 receiver but the best CB in football can't cover Julio 1 on 1.

Smellyman

Reaction score
andyh64000":2l9ppjp0 said:
treefidy":2l9ppjp0 said:
Smellyman":2l9ppjp0 said:

They are not going to double him. Sherman will follow him and they might cheat safeties a little but they will not double him. I love how you sat Trufant will completely neutralize our number 1 receiver but the best CB in football can't cover Julio 1 on 1.

Like the Denver D and the Atlanta O, Julio transcends what mere mortals are capable of.

treefidy

Reaction score
andyh64000":1ndyrb1g said:
treefidy":1ndyrb1g said:
Smellyman":1ndyrb1g said:

Sherman is not the best CB in football. I hope like hell you are right and your D goes single Sherman on Julio. It WILL get ugly quick.

Trufant is as valuable to us as Sherman is you. Difference is, Baldwin is NOT Julio and Trufant does NOT cover one man. He plays a side. But you knew that...

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I would expect Julio to best Sherman a few times if Ryan tries testing him. No corner wins every time out but if they keep testing him I guarantee Ryan ends up picked off. Sherman has THE BEST ball skills in the league.

Smellyman

Reaction score
For the last 4 years the bravado that opposing fans come in with is amusing. Not ever hearing from them again is always pretty sweet.

Dangit though. There is still a few more days of this.

treefidy

Reaction score
Smellyman":2gn4uybt said:
Like the Denver D and the Atlanta O, Julio transcends what mere mortals are capable of.

Denver doubled him which is why LBs were left to deal with our RBs and Coleman went for 132 yards receiving. This is similar to what the Saints D (except they tripled Julio) and we ran for 217 yards while splitting 240 yards between 8 receivers.