Seattle vs. Atlanta matchups

treefidy

Reaction score
byau":28vgpk2e said:
Anyone watching the game can easily see Lynch's poor play affected the whole game on both sides of the field. The Falcons could take a lot more risks defensively because Lynch panicked too early, made poor decisions, and did not pass accurately. If his numbers were in fact big, it's not consistent with the eye test.

I'll agree with you treefidy on the Seattle DL and Falcons OL being a close match. I don't think the Seattle O and Atlanta D will be as close. And if the Seattle O can stay on the field longer that should also help the Seattle D.

The eye test. Yes. The eye test. I'm sure you compared him to Seimian when using that system, yeah?

Nothing about your Offense has supported your claim. Why does that change now? Because you put up 27 on the Jets? Steelers put up 31 on them the next week. Because you put up 37 points on the Niners? Cardinals put up 33 on them with Stanton starting. The same Cardinals team that put up 13 vs the Rams and 18 vs the Bills in the weeks before WITH Palmer starting. I'm not trolling here. Your offense literally has not been very good this season, yet that's supposed to change because you are playing us?

You've played the 26th, 23rd, 18th and 14th ranked Defenses (20th average). Hardly worthy of this high praise I'm seeing around here.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
treefidy":25crod02 said:
byau":25crod02 said:
Anyone watching the game can easily see Lynch's poor play affected the whole game on both sides of the field. The Falcons could take a lot more risks defensively because Lynch panicked too early, made poor decisions, and did not pass accurately. If his numbers were in fact big, it's not consistent with the eye test.

I'll agree with you treefidy on the Seattle DL and Falcons OL being a close match. I don't think the Seattle O and Atlanta D will be as close. And if the Seattle O can stay on the field longer that should also help the Seattle D.

The eye test. Yes. The eye test. I'm sure you compared him to Seimian when using that system, yeah?

Nothing about your Offense has supported your claim. Why does that change now? Because you put up 27 on the Jets? Steelers put up 31 on them the next week. Because you put up 37 points on the Niners? Cardinals put up 33 on them with Stanton starting. The same Cardinals team that put up 13 vs the Rams and 18 vs the Bills in the weeks before WITH Palmer starting. I'm not trolling here. Your offense literally has not been very good this season, yet that's supposed to change because you are playing us?

You've played the 26th, 23rd, 18th and 14th ranked Defenses (20th average). Hardly worthy of this high praise I'm seeing around here.

It has more to do with upward trajectory and yes, the eye test. That's been the name of the Seahawks' game recently. We know what a winner looks like. You don't.

Fade

Reaction score
[youtube]0_Zvy5YXRds[/youtube]

Poor $3.50. I hope you don't put too much emotional investment into this game, or you're going to have a bad time.

Seattle has a stout defensive line, with incredible gap discipline from the entire front. Playing at home with the noise factor, O-Lines coming into the clink have a hard time getting off the ball, let alone not false starting. It will be tough sledding running the ball. This has been the case for 5+ seasons of football, it goes beyond a trend. The noise factor goes back to the Kingdome days, though I will admit it has been quieter the last 2 seasons in the clink because of the bandwagon fan element, but it is still loud, just not ear splitting loud.

The passing game, Seattle gives up nothing down the field. All teams can do is dink & dunk. I expect the Falcons to have minor success in this area, but no where close to what ATL did to Denver. Seattle is digesting that film right now making sure it doesn't happen to them. Seattle faces this sort of attack every week, because teams fear the LOB.

ATL's pass rush is poor. Vic "The Bust" Beasley, had a career game last week, but will be back in form, and disappear the rest of the season starting this week. I expect ol'man Freeney to get a sack though.

Russell Wilson with a clean pocket is lethal. If he is healthy enough to scramble the game will quickly turn into a blow out. If he is still gimpy well that will make the game closer, but I expect Seattle to cover.

The Vegas edge goes to the Seahawks. The public is pounding the Falcons, its amazing how often the public is wrong, and Vegas cleans up.

treefidy

Reaction score
HuskyHawk":151srsa1 said:
Treefidy,

Every game makes me nervous, so I'm not going to declare victory for the Hawks. But I think you are making a huge mistake by basing most of your arguememts on your "dismantling" of the Broncos. Please tell me that you understand that the way an offense plays directly affects their defense. If an offense gives up 4 turnovers and 6 sacks, very few defenses can overcome that. I'm not saying the Falcons didn't deserve the win, but don't assume just because you beat the Broncos that you will beat the Hawks. This is a QB league, any arguement comparing a Lynch led offense to a Wilson led offense is uniformed or just trolling.

I'm not assuming we win. I'm telling you that we faced a comparable (in most people's opinions better) defense and they struggled with our offense. All of those coming out and claiming your defense is going to have no issues with our offense, are just dead wrong.

As far as our Defense vs Denver's offense. We did the same thing to Cam the week before (just didn't sack him 6 times, but pressured him all game, and caused him to make a ton of mistakes) Let's be real, Cam is just as hard to take down as Wilson. Cam also has an MVP to his name. Wilson does not. Until the 4th when we went in to Prevent, both offenses had only scored 3 points on our defense...

Our defense has been bad in the past, but it has looked very good the last two weeks. Meanwhile, your offense is significantly worse than the Saints, Panthers, and Raiders and is statistically the worst Offense we have faced this season.

I get it, it has the potential to be good and it has in the past. Not this season...

treefidy

Reaction score
Fade":2zelyhbl said:

Poor $3.50. I hope you don't put too much emotional investment into this game, or you're going to have a bad time.

Seattle has a stout defensive line, with incredible gap discipline from the entire front. Playing at home with the noise factor, O-Lines coming into the clink have a hard time getting off the ball, let alone not false starting. It will be tough sledding running the ball. This has been the case for 5+ seasons of football, it goes beyond a trend. The noise factor goes back to the Kingdome days, though I will admit it has been quieter the last 2 seasons in the clink because of the bandwagon fan element, but it is still loud, just not ear splitting loud.

The passing game, Seattle gives up nothing down the field. All teams can do is dink & dunk. I expect the Falcons to have minor success in this area, but no where close to what ATL did to Denver. Seattle is digesting that film right now making sure it doesn't happen to them. Seattle faces this sort of attack every week, because teams fear the LOB.

ATL's pass rush is poor. Vic "The Bust" Beasley, had a career game last week, but will be back in form, and disappear the rest of the season starting this week. I expect ol'man Freeney to get a sack though.

Russell Wilson with a clean pocket is lethal. If he is healthy enough to scramble the game will quickly turn into a blow out. If he is still gimpy well that will make the game closer, but I expect Seattle to cover.

The Vegas edge goes to the Seahawks. The public is pounding the Falcons, its amazing how often the public is wrong, and Vegas cleans up.

Seattle has a stout defense against the worst offenses in the league. We agree with that. You have not seen an offense with the weapons ours possesses. PERIOD. I've already posted the stats.

Your DL is NOT comparable to Denver's. There is literally no counter argument to this statement. Every single thing points to this as fact. Your secondary is no better than Denver's (it gives up 3 less yards per game, they have more ints). We don't need to go down field to score. We have a complete offense. Our RBs are as good as WRs at running routes and will line up with the receivers on the line as well as run routes out of the back field. We have 3 pass catching TEs. You HAVE to double Julio, that's not an option. Your LBs will have to stop the run and play the pass from all angles.

Wilson will not have a clean pocket. He will definitely escape the pressure a lot, but he will not have all day as some are thinking.

I don't care about Vegas, they had Denver a 6 point favorite at one point. Denver had a 78% chance to win WITH Lynch.

We saw how that went.

pcbball12

Reaction score
treefidy":1bplltmx said:
HuskyHawk":1bplltmx said:
Treefidy,

Every game makes me nervous, so I'm not going to declare victory for the Hawks. But I think you are making a huge mistake by basing most of your arguememts on your "dismantling" of the Broncos. Please tell me that you understand that the way an offense plays directly affects their defense. If an offense gives up 4 turnovers and 6 sacks, very few defenses can overcome that. I'm not saying the Falcons didn't deserve the win, but don't assume just because you beat the Broncos that you will beat the Hawks. This is a QB league, any arguement comparing a Lynch led offense to a Wilson led offense is uniformed or just trolling.

I'm not assuming we win. I'm telling you that we faced a comparable (in most people's opinions better) defense and they struggled with our offense. All of those coming out and claiming your defense is going to have no issues with our offense, are just dead wrong.

As far as our Defense vs Denver's offense. We did the same thing to Cam the week before (just didn't sack him 6 times, but pressured him all game, and caused him to make a ton of mistakes) Let's be real, Cam is just as hard to take down as Wilson. Cam also has an MVP to his name. Wilson does not. Until the 4th when we went in to Prevent, both offenses had only scored 3 points on our defense...

Our defense has been bad in the past, but it has looked very good the last two weeks. Meanwhile, your offense is significantly worse than the Saints, Panthers, and Raiders and is statistically the worst Offense we have faced this season.

I get it, it has the potential to be good and it has in the past. Not this season...
If you want to keep pounding the table with this "your offense is not good" noise, be my guest. I wouldn't expect anything else from someone who doesn't watch the Seahawks week to week and understand their personnel the way we do here. However, when we put up 35+ on you I hope you'll come eat your crow.

We are a team who has started slow offensively basically since Pete got here. Basing anything off of a season opener is pointless, fluky things happen in those games and they are rarely indicators on how a team is (which is why I do not hold TB against you). The rams play us tough every game, every year. It's one of those games where our offense looks like crap no matter when we play them (including the year we won the SB). Not to mention Russ was playing with a high ankle sprain.

These last two games have been much better. Some of it due to who we played, sure. However, it also so happens Graham was full go with no snap count starting against SF. And we got our 1st round RG Germain Ifedi back from injury against the Jets. We see this team starting to gel much earlier than they normally do offensively. That, combined with the fact that Lockett, Baldwin, and Russ have been playing hurt for the last 3 weeks getting 2 weeks to heal from a bye gives us excitement and ability to project better going forward.

Fade

Reaction score
Gize! Long term body of work doezn't matter.

All that matterz is a 4 game sample syze.

LMAO.

pcbball12

Reaction score
treefidy":3njoge3s said:
Fade":3njoge3s said:

Seattle has a stout defense against the worst offenses in the league. We agree with that. You have not seen an offense with the weapons ours possesses. PERIOD. I've already posted the stats.

Your DL is NOT comparable to Denver's. There is literally no counter argument to this statement. Every single thing points to this as fact. Your secondary is no better than Denver's (it gives up 3 less yards per game, they have more ints). We don't need to go down field to score. We have a complete offense. Our RBs are as good as WRs at running routes and will line up with the receivers on the line as well as run routes out of the back field. We have 3 pass catching TEs. You HAVE to double Julio, that's not an option. Your LBs will have to stop the run and play the pass from all angles.

Wilson will not have a clean pocket. He will definitely escape the pressure a lot, but he will not have all day as some are thinking.

I don't care about Vegas, they had Denver a 6 point favorite at one point. Denver had a 78% chance to win WITH Lynch.

We saw how that went.
Denver has better premier pass rushers in Miller and Ray, no debate there. However, we rush much differently than them. Avril is better than Ray...period. Bennett rushes from the edge and inside, he might be the most versatile and underrated dlineman in all of football.

However, where we are better than Denver upfront is stopping the run. If not for garbage time runs by Hyde and a fluky 40 yard fumble recovery for a TD against the Jets, our rush defense woulf look even better right now on paper. Playing a Shanahan offense everything starts with stopping the run. I suspect that is goal one for us this week.

Not all of what you are saying on here is untrue. But it is very clear that you know next to nothing about this team and have rarely seen them play.

treefidy

Reaction score
pcbball12":37nsx049 said:
If you want to keep pounding the table with this "your offense is not good" noise, be my guest. I wouldn't expect anything else from someone who doesn't watch the Seahawks week to week and understand their personnel the way we do here. However, when we put up 35+ on you I hope you'll come eat your crow.

We are a team who has started slow offensively basically since Pete got here. Basing anything off of a season opener is pointless, fluky things happen in those games and they are rarely indicators on how a team is (which is why I do not hold TB against you). The rams play us tough every game, every year. It's one of those games where our offense looks like crap no matter when we play them (including the year we won the SB). Not to mention Russ was playing with a high ankle sprain.

These last two games have been much better. Some of it due to who we played, sure. However, it also so happens Graham was full go with no snap count starting against SF. And we got our 1st round RG Germain Ifedi back from injury against the Jets. We see this team starting to gel much earlier than they normally do offensively. That, combined with the fact that Lockett, Baldwin, and Russ have been playing hurt for the last 3 weeks getting 2 weeks to heal from a bye gives us excitement and ability to project better going forward.

I live in the Bay Area. I watch the Seahawks quite a bit. Your run game is significantly worse than in the past. This isn't a case of starting slow. It's a case of that plus Wilson being injured. I doubt either of those things change significantly in this game.

I'm also not saying you won't score points. However, we've seen better offences. Plain and simple.

FOGHORN

Reaction score
Not all of what you are saying on here is untrue. But it is very clear that you know next to nothing about this team and have rarely seen them play.

Quoted from above.

Same could be said in regards to Seahawk fans judgement towards Falcons. I like how when a Falcon fan pointed out garbage time stats as reasons for the defensive rankings it was dismissed. But was leaned upon when making an arguement for the Seahawks. Nice touch.

pcbball12

Reaction score
treefidy":1sbaosu9 said:
pcbball12":1sbaosu9 said:

I live in the Bay Area. I watch the Seahawks quite a bit. Your run game is significantly worse than in the past. This isn't a case of starting slow. It's a case of that plus Wilson being injured. I doubt either of those things change significantly in this game.

I'm also not saying you won't score points. However, we've seen better offences. Plain and simple.
The run game has not been as good, no doubt. A new line that is starting to gel, also missing our starting RG the first 3 weeks. Also, we played 3 of the best fronts in football. The only reason the bills were able to run on St Louis is because they were missing Brockers and Quinn. You speak as if everything is in a vacuum, there is key context that you ignore in all of your statements.

I suspect by years end this will end up being one of the top 4 or 5 offenses in football, barring any major injuries (from an efficiency and scoring standpoint). This is the most complete team you have faced to this point and will all year. Not guaranteeing a win, if you beat us you guys are legit SB contenders in my mind. Just gonna be a much taller order than you are expecting I believe.

treefidy

Reaction score
pcbball12":3jg1nlym said:
Denver has better premier pass rushers in Miller and Ray, no debate there. However, we rush much differently than them. Avril is better than Ray...period. Bennett rushes from the edge and inside, he might be the most versatile and underrated dlineman in all of football.

However, where we are better than Denver upfront is stopping the run. If not for garbage time runs by Hyde and a fluky 40 yard fumble recovery for a TD against the Jets, our rush defense woulf look even better right now on paper. Playing a Shanahan offense everything starts with stopping the run. I suspect that is goal one for us this week.

No doubt Seattle is better against the run. I hope you guys commit to stopping the run. I'd much rather see you stack the box when we line up in "running formations," Your interior pass rush is not better than Denver's. Denver has 6 sacks from their interior line. I think Seattle may have one? Am I wrong?

pcbball12

Reaction score
FOGHORN":2bua8z2u said:

Quoted from above.

Same could be said in regards to Seahawk fans judgement towards Falcons. I like how when a Falcon fan pointed out garbage time stats as reasons for the defensive rankings it was dismissed. But was leaned upon when making an arguement for the Seahawks. Nice touch.
Ok, throw out garbage time. This team is still only giving up 80 yards a game and 3.3 ypa in the run game. I don't need the garbage time arguement.

FOGHORN

Reaction score
Treefidy is bringing it. Good football talk. And some Seahawk fans too. Some are attacking the poster and not the post, but that is too be expected.

I don't know how this game goes, but i do know it will be closer than expected. The Falcons are on the road, 2nd game out West, and 3rd game in a row against a tough opponent. Win, lose, or draw I have been happy with the Falcons so far.

The Seahawks should be ready. Coming off a bye week and at home. Falcons will be ready too. Tired, but ready. I'm expecting a great game.

pcbball12

Reaction score
treefidy":20ink7kd said:
pcbball12":20ink7kd said:

No doubt Seattle is better against the run. I hope you guys commit to stopping the run. I'd much rather see you stack the box when we line up in "running formations," Your interior pass rush is not better than Denver's. Denver has 6 sacks from their interior line. I think Seattle may have one? Am I wrong?
Seattle doesn't really stack the box to stop the run, they just are really disciplined gap wise and have some hosses upfront. And our linebackers read and tackle very well.

That may be true, we get a lot of sacks with stunts though, freeing up outside guys like Clark and Marsh. Our pass rush is not as good as Denvers. But in this stadium, it is always much better and they get off very quickly. Bennett and Avril cause havok

FOGHORN

Reaction score
pcbball12":3ilpc1vj said:
FOGHORN":3ilpc1vj said:

Quoted from above.

Ok, throw out garbage time. This team is still only giving up 80 yards a game and 3.3 ypa in the run game. I don't need the garbage time arguement.

You shouldn'tneed that excuse. What great offensive teams have the Seahawks faced so far? The best QB that faced was what, Ryan Fitzpatrick?

pcbball12

Reaction score
FOGHORN":3im7x32s said:
pcbball12":3im7x32s said:
FOGHORN":3im7x32s said:

Quoted from above.

You shouldn'tneed that excuse. What great offensive teams have the Seahawks faced so far? The best QB that faced was what, Ryan Fitzpatrick?
Say what you want about who they've played, but they have done exactly what they are supposed to do to those offenses. Do you not see a trend for this Seattle team defensively? The last 4 years? It's not a fluke, this team is every bit as good defensively as we have had in the past.

FOGHORN

Reaction score
Seahawks Ranks Offensively

Total Yards/G - 357.5 (16th)
Rush Yards/G - 93.0 (18th)
Pass Yards/G - 265.4 (12th)
Points/G - 19.8 (21st)
Seahawks Ranks Defensivly

Total Yards/G - 264.0 (1st)
Rush Yards/G - 80.3 (7th)
Pass Yards/G - 183.8 (2nd)
Points/G - 13.5 (3rd)
Yes, they still have a great defense but they're not that great. Look at the teams they played. Dolphins, Rams, 49ers and Jets. Look at where those teams rank offensively.

Dolphins

Total Yards/G - 303.8 (29th)
Rush Yards/G - 72.4 (31st)
Pass Yards/G - 231.4 (24th)
PointsG/ - 17.6 (28th)
Rams

Total Yards/G - 284.2 (32nd)
Rush Yards/G - 81.8 (28th)
Pass Yards/G - 202.4 (30th)
Points/G - 16.4 (T-31st)
49ers

Total Yards/G - 291.4 (31st)
Rush Yards/G - 121.4 (8th)
Pass Yards/G - 170.0 (31st)
Points/G - 22.2 (18th)
Jets

Total Yards/G - 351.8 (17th)
Rush Yards/G - 104.4 (13th)
Pass Yards/G - 247.4 (17th)
Points/G - 18.4 (T-24th)
They've faced 4 of the worst offenses in the NFL. No wonder they're nearly ranked #1 in every defensive stat. They should be. It would be an embarrassment if they weren't. But now they're finally facing a legit NFL offense.

Falcons

Total Yards/G - 457.4 (1st)
Rush Yards/G - 124.0 (7th)
Pass Yards/G - 333.4 (1st)
Points/G - 35.0 (1st)

pcbball12

Reaction score
FOGHORN":cea8ucge said:

Points/G - 19.8 (21st)

Points/G - 13.5 (3rd)
Yes, they still have a great defense but they're not that great. Look at the teams they played. Dolphins, Rams, 49ers and Jets. Look at where those teams rank offensively.

Dolphins

PointsG/ - 17.6 (28th)
Rams

Points/G - 16.4 (T-31st)
49ers

Points/G - 22.2 (18th)
Jets

Points/G - 18.4 (T-24th)
They've faced 4 of the worst offenses in the NFL. No wonder they're nearly ranked #1 in every defensive stat. They should be. It would be an embarrassment if they weren't. But now they're finally facing a legit NFL offense.

Falcons

Points/G - 35.0 (1st)
Every argument you guys have come from stats on espn. Football is a game of matchups. I've explained my views on our offense and where it's at and what it's done. Not gonna type it all again. You guys can cling onto those stats until Sunday though.

FOGHORN

Reaction score
pcbball12":3i7zwi69 said:
FOGHORN":3i7zwi69 said:

Points/G - 19.8 (21st)

Points/G - 13.5 (3rd)

Dolphins

PointsG/ - 17.6 (28th)
Rams

Points/G - 16.4 (T-31st)
49ers

Points/G - 22.2 (18th)
Jets

Points/G - 18.4 (T-24th)

Falcons

Points/G - 35.0 (1st)
Every argument you guys have come from stats on espn. Football is a game of matchups. I've explained my views on our offense and where it's at and what it's done. Not gonna type it all again. You guys can cling onto those stats until Sunday though.

No different than the die hards on this board clinging to stats of Seahawks being the #1 defense. What are your matchups based on? Watching equal parts Seahawks and Falcons games? Television influence? Hawks bias?

Better yet I will go look and get back to you. Save your weary fingers.