Seattle is rebuilding

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tgxixb9 said:
pittpnthrs":3tgxixb9 said:
Sgt. Largent":3tgxixb9 said:
Bennett, Sherman, Sheldon, Kam, Graham, probably Earl too................how many cornerstones do you want?

That leaves Russell, Baldwin and Wagner.

And we're replacing these guys with 2nd and 3rd tier players with massive holes still all over the roster and barely any picks?

You sir, are the most optimistic optimist that ever optimized.

But its only March. Relax

For sure, but you can't replace 5-6 guys who all performed at the highest level in their careers, some at Hall of Fame levels during our two Superbowls with 2nd and 3rd tier free agents, and barely any draft picks......................AND get back to the SB?

Some of you guys have some fo serious Hawk colored glasses on.

The question was "is this a rebuild," and if you don't think so I'd like to know what you DO think a rebuild is, cause it couldn't be any clearer to me.

Now we have gone from 1/2 the roster to 5-6 guys, of only 2 played at a high level last year.

It’s the teeth gnashing hyperbole and the desperate need of some people to claim with such affirmation the end without allowing the process to play out that looks so silly.

But yeah “realists “ over “homers”

Never seen so many people look so anxiously at a hole and call it a grave before.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3itfrqfn said:
Now we have gone from 1/2 the roster to 5-6 guys, of only 2 played at a high level last year.

It’s the teeth gnashing hyperbole and the desperate need of some people to claim with such affirmation the end without allowing the process to play out that looks so silly.

Never seen so many people look so anxiously at a hole and call it a grave before.

It's actually WAY more than 5-6 guys from our SB rosters. In fact, other than Earl, Russell, Bobby and Doug, it's literally the entire team.

btw Si, this question was asked TODAY, not on September 1st. It'd be pretty damn boring if every response was "Is this a rebuild? Sorry, we have to wait, it's only March 19th...............mod, please lock this thread, too damn soon."

But I like your choice of phrasings, very melodramatic. Not your best condescending work, but it's up there.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hp37q1yo said:
Uncle Si":hp37q1yo said:

It's actually WAY more than 5-6 guys from our SB rosters. In fact, other than Earl, Russell, Bobby and Doug, it's literally the entire team.

btw Si, this question was asked TODAY, not on September 1st. It'd be pretty damn boring if every response was "Is this a rebuild? Sorry, we have to wait, it's only March 19th...............mod, please lock this thread, too damn soon."

But I like your choice of phrasings, very melodramatic. Not your best condescending work, but it's up there.

That’s condescending? Dry your eyes. How about continuing to change the points to fit your narrative. Now we are more than 5-6 guys from the Super Bowl team? A few weeks ago it was “we were a kicker away”

Jesus dude. Talk about melodramatic. You can’t even settle on your point nor follow your own statements.

It was asked TODAY (nice cap letters). About the teams future.

Let’s change it a bit..

What if Seattle signs Suh, brings back Maxwell and adds one more mid tier player before the draft. Still a “rebuild?” Maybe im hung up on the semantics of the word, just seems way too early to say “2018 is a loss”

And if your preference is to change your take every day as things change.. knock yourself out. Seems the norm

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":3q8tdfng said:
Many say it's not a rebuild because we have Wilson, well the Colts had Manning, the Dolphins Marino, the Broncos Elway, the Saints Brees, and each had to put new players, coaches and systems around them, in Manning's case he moved to the Broncos, Dolphins never got back to a Super Bowl, took Coaching changes and a new system for Elway to get back, Brees is still working on it. Players like Fouts never got another run. Just because you have a very good QB does not mean you don't rebuild.

Patriots have been doing the same thing for 15 years with Brady.

Rebuild, retool, reload... whatever people need to call it, I’d say it’s still pretty open about what the results will be.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yzee1r3 said:
pittpnthrs":1yzee1r3 said:
Sgt. Largent":1yzee1r3 said:
Bennett, Sherman, Sheldon, Kam, Graham, probably Earl too................how many cornerstones do you want?

That leaves Russell, Baldwin and Wagner.

And we're replacing these guys with 2nd and 3rd tier players with massive holes still all over the roster and barely any picks?

You sir, are the most optimistic optimist that ever optimized.

But its only March. Relax

For sure, but you can't replace 5-6 guys who all performed at the highest level in their careers, some at Hall of Fame levels during our two Superbowls with 2nd and 3rd tier free agents, and barely any draft picks......................AND get back to the SB?

Some of you guys have some fo serious Hawk colored glasses on.

The question was "is this a rebuild," and if you don't think so I'd like to know what you DO think a rebuild is, cause it couldn't be any clearer to me.

I was being sarcastic. I agree with you 100000%

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ymtra4s said:
pittpnthrs":2ymtra4s said:
Sherman, Bennett, and Graham certainly were.

Graham Isco a cornerstone?

You are struggling.

Although our offense was absolutely dreadful, barring Wilson of course, Graham was the most effective player on that side of the ball and the one weapon we had that defenses had to plan around. He was very much a cornerstone on the offense.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":23lzmqxf said:
Uncle Si":23lzmqxf said:
pittpnthrs":23lzmqxf said:

You are struggling.

Although our offense was absolutely dreadful, barring Wilson of course, Graham was the most effective player on that side of the ball and the one weapon we had that defenses had to plan around. He was very much a cornerstone on the offense.

He should’ve been. But hard to say he was. But of course who really was on offense.

I don’t think he’s irreplaceable

It’s fine. I’m done arguing about what we call it.

I’ll be interested and excited to see the final product.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is a lot of handwringing (spelling?) about a team that few know what it is going to look like with so many new people on both the roster and coaching staff.

So we will have to see.

I think the largest issues are:

1 - We don't really seem to have a head coach that can consistently win with players that are not demonstrably better than the competition.

2 - We lost some very good players and seem to be replacing them with players that are several tiers lower in effectiveness (if that).

So the concern seems warranted.

But we won't know for a while even though it certainly feels as if the writing has been on the wall for some time now.

What is likely is that the team is likely not going to do much with the draft, since it has generated pretty average results with the draft over the past several years.

It is also likely that we are not going to get much help in FA since this team has demonstrated it generally stubs its toe in FA if anything.

So if the team is not going to get much help from the coaching staff, the draft or FA - and the roster is getting stripped of talent? That generally isn't usually an indicator of much more success in the immediate future.

Though we won't know until the games start, what we do know is not encouraging. And that might account for the frustration.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1n6k4aph said:
pittpnthrs":1n6k4aph said:
Uncle Si":1n6k4aph said:
pittpnthrs":1n6k4aph said:

You are struggling.

He should’ve been. But hard to say he was. But of course who really was on offense.

I don’t think he’s irreplaceable

It’s fine. I’m done arguing about what we call it.

I’ll be interested and excited to see the final product.

I'm done arguing too Si. Lets go have a beer. You buy. :D

mrt144

Reaction score
Kinger95":3okmy0yj said:
People don’t understand that franchises can’t be good every year. Other than the spurs and patriots most franchises do have ups and downs and in the downs is when you restock picks/prospects and young players so that they can help you get good again or traded for guys that can. Only crappy part is most times rebuilding takes longer than 2-3 years

I disagree with this as a plank to diminish worry about the team. Unless you are siloed into just watching the Hawks from 2012 until last year how could you not be aware of this reality given the laggards of the league? Similarly how would a somewhat informed fan be unaware of the teams that are relatively 'good' on a consistent basis - your Patriots, your Steelers, your Packers?

I'm trying to think of a team with consistently 'good' seasons that don't have a strong component of coaching and QB continuity that becomes a form of continuity momentum in its own way. Success breeds continuity and the actors involved haven't screwed the pooch to any significant degree that would warrant an ouster.

With this much coaching and player upheaval it's hard to have a glowing outlook for the next season especially with the Rams looking like a contender again. And the Rams prove your point to a degree BUT again, new regime.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Chancellor was playing great, Sherman was playing great, Richardson was a solid #2, Graham scored almost 1/3 of our TDs, Sheldon and Mike B accounted for over 1/2 of our DL pressures. Definitely losing a lot of top tier production. Earl had a great season too. Gonna miss that if we trade him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1uakxfpz said:
chris98251":1uakxfpz said:
Many say it's not a rebuild because we have Wilson, well the Colts had Manning, the Dolphins Marino, the Broncos Elway, the Saints Brees, and each had to put new players, coaches and systems around them, in Manning's case he moved to the Broncos, Dolphins never got back to a Super Bowl, took Coaching changes and a new system for Elway to get back, Brees is still working on it. Players like Fouts never got another run. Just because you have a very good QB does not mean you don't rebuild.

Patriots have been doing the same thing for 15 years with Brady.

Rebuild, retool, reload... whatever people need to call it, I’d say it’s still pretty open about what the results will be.

One team has a formula that works and Bill threatens to eat children if guys fumble or go off script.

Walsh was another that could do it well. But he had a Edward DeBartolo Jr. in his pocket and some sweet sideline enterprises going at the time for players.

Not many have shown the ability to maintain things like the Patriots, using them as a model is fine, but qualify it as an anomaly as well out of 32 teams. We will see how good John and Pete are now.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Cliff Avril tbd - likely gone
Kam tdb- likely gone
Earl tbd- likely gone
Sheldon R tbd- likely gone maybe gone already i'm not sure
Jimmy G- gone
Sherman -gone
Bennett -gone
Richardson-gone
Davis -Gone
Shead-gone
Maxwell- tbd hopefully back
and there's more i'm not going to list them all it's a long list.

The entire coaching staff fired with one exception. I understand some of you don't want to call it a rebuild but it's far closer to a rebuild than anything else so lets just call it what it is. That said a rebuild can be done very quickly in the NFL. Dickson Mingo Brown are all good signings so i'm not saying they can't compete next year they can if they don't screw the draft and continue to sign good players. Maxwell needs to be back they have nothing opposite Shaq that inspires any confidence at all and the secondary is likely to be hit the hardest when all is said and done.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
My scientific breakdown of what the 'Hawks are doing clearly shows it's 1/3 rebuild, 1/4 retool, 2/3 revamp, 3/8 reload, and 1/2 manbearbig. That's what Seattle is doing.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
I wouldn’t classify this as a “rebuild”...exactly.

We are obviously not the same team that we are used to seeing, the LOB is officially done, a lot of of our big names are gone, but like was pointed out earlier we still have RW.

Depending on how this season goes, if we suck this year then we might be in for an actual “rebuild” in 2019...meaning that it would be entirely possible we trade Russ to acquire picks for the process. Which would also mean that Pete would have likely “retired” and JS sent packing.

But at present....we are “shuffling” things around trying to ignite a spark.

chris98251

Reaction score
AF_BASS_MAN":2ljsiili said:
I wouldn’t classify this as a “rebuild”...exactly.

We are obviously not the same team that we are used to seeing, the LOB is officially done, a lot of of our big names are gone, but like was pointed out earlier we still have RW.

Depending on how this season goes, if we suck this year then we might be in for an actual “rebuild” in 2019...meaning that it would be entirely possible we trade Russ to acquire picks for the process. Which would also mean that Pete would have likely “retired” and JS sent packing.

But at present....we are “shuffling” things around trying to ignite a spark.

A QB does not make a roster, you could have Brady, Rodgers, and Montana all on your roster and could still suck with no running game or O line and defense.

They do however give you that over the top Ace in the hole when you have the rest of it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1h0qxok7 said:
Let’s change it a bit..

What if Seattle signs Suh, brings back Maxwell and adds one more mid tier player before the draft. Still a “rebuild?” Maybe im hung up on the semantics of the word, just seems way too early to say “2018 is a loss”

And if your preference is to change your take every day as things change.. knock yourself out. Seems the norm

My take hasn't changed.

I said flat out that this is a rebuild, and I listed my reasons numerous times now.

Other than the QB position, there isn't one position and that includes depth that is level or superior to our teams that competed for SB's. It's not even close.

And even if you add Suh and Maxwell, they're replacing Sherman and the combo of Bennett and Richardson, of which were part of a team that went 9-7?

I'll only change my opinion if we can get another 2-3 high draft picks for Earl, which John can work his magic to restock the defense, because as of now this defense is flat out awful on paper.

Hell, we only have 53 players on the roster, that means we still need 37 more warm bodies to even start camp..............with less than 20M of cap space now, to extend multiple players, sign all our draft picks and fill over 30 roster positions.

lol, it's bad dude. It's bad.

Latest posts