Seattle is rebuilding

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He inherited a crap sammich when he took over the team. Him and JS turned it into a Super Bowl Champion and a contender for years. He can do it again. At the minimum, he can rebuild it back up for the next Coach. Still plenty of damn good players on this team and a QB who keeps you in every game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hmibyt4 said:
Silver Hawk":3hmibyt4 said:
At least we still have a franchise QB (plus some very good other pieces, to be fair).

This is the most important part, and what gives me hope that Pete and John will be successful if given another 2-3 years to get the defense young, hungry and nasty again.

Russell should be the difference between staying around 8-8 and still competing during a rebuild, and going full Browns for half a decade looking for another top 10 QB.

Pete and JC are not in the middle of a 2-3 year rebuild. why would Carroll sign up for that

so much presumption from two weeks of off season moves

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":qzkiuz6f said:
Sgt. Largent":qzkiuz6f said:
Silver Hawk":qzkiuz6f said:
At least we still have a franchise QB (plus some very good other pieces, to be fair).

This is the most important part, and what gives me hope that Pete and John will be successful if given another 2-3 years to get the defense young, hungry and nasty again.

Russell should be the difference between staying around 8-8 and still competing during a rebuild, and going full Browns for half a decade looking for another top 10 QB.

Pete and JC are not in the middle of a 2-3 year rebuild. why would Carroll sign up for that

Yes, they are. They or you may not think that, but look at the roster and tell me where another SB run is coming from in 2018? Or even 2019.

Presumption is thinking this roster is anywhere near competing for a SB this year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wy175oq6 said:
Uncle Si":wy175oq6 said:
Sgt. Largent":wy175oq6 said:
Silver Hawk":wy175oq6 said:

Yes, they are. They or you may not think that, but look at the roster and tell me where another SB run is coming from in 2018? Or even 2019.

Presumption is thinking this roster is anywhere near competing for a SB this year.

Presumption is thinking this roster, on March 19th.. is complete...(or are you unsure what presumption means?)

or that a 70 year old head coach suddenly wants to change gears and sit on a rebuild or that this team can't do both at the same time.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2i1htapy said:
Silver Hawk":2i1htapy said:
Sgt. Largent":2i1htapy said:
fenderbender123":2i1htapy said:
They're making changes, sure. But what is the definition of "rebuilding"? Seems like people are just going to disagree on what the definition is and argue from there.

Well, I'd say turning over half our roster is rebuilding, especially when it involves getting rid of players that used to be your cornerstones.

It also usually involves taking a step back for a year or two, which it also looks like we're going to do.

Exactly. Not sure how anyone could see this as anything other than a massive rebuild.

Other teams do not “do this all the time”. I’ve been following the NFL for about 45 years. I have not seen teams routinely dismantling their rosters. Not to this extent. This is a complete restructure. Not a prune and trim job.

PC and JS may strike gold, eventually (2-3 years?). However, make no mistake about it, the Seahawks have moved back several squares in this game. Until further notice, the Seahawks are in NFL roster churn mode and on par with the average (or worse?) teams. At least we still have a franchise QB (plus some very good other pieces, to be fair).

Rosters churn all the time in this league. we have seen Carroll make scores of moves in one singular offseason before.

I feel people are in shock at how quickly the LOB demise was. But it's happened.

Difficult to determine what this team's potential for '18 and '19 will be until the roster is final.

I guess we will disagree. They don’t churn like this. I’ve also never seen Carroll make “scores of moves” like this. What I have seen, is roster churn of the supporting pieces. I have not seen anything like this offseason.

Sherman. Bennett. Richardson. Lane. Graham. The other Richardson. ET (likely). Avril (likely). Chancellor (likely). Willson (likely). Teams do not get better by losing that much talent, self inflicted or by injury, from one year to the next.

I hope I can have a more optimistic view once the “roster is final” but as of 3.19.18, it really isn’t too difficult to get a handle on 2018 and 2019.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":c3rr3jlw said:
Sgt. Largent":c3rr3jlw said:
Silver Hawk":c3rr3jlw said:

How could you presume that they are not? Please explain how they are going to be better than last year’s hot mess? The answer will have to include a lot of “ifs”, “hope” and “trust” because there certainly isn’t much else to hang your hat on.

RCATES

Reaction score
Last Monday I wasn't quite on the rebuilding idea but a week later I am. Considering the low ball offers they are giving which translate's to how a particular team value's a certain player I'm 100% they are rebuilding this roster for post 2020. Losing so many starters and with a lackluster draft (Hawks own doing) coming up. Nothing says rebuild more then offering a elite NT 6.5mil that you gave up a 2nd rounder for the year earlier.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1kk8yqxt said:
Sgt. Largent":1kk8yqxt said:
Uncle Si":1kk8yqxt said:
Sgt. Largent":1kk8yqxt said:

Presumption is thinking this roster, on March 19th.. is complete...(or are you unsure what presumption means?)

or that a 70 year old head coach suddenly wants to change gears and sit on a rebuild or that this team can't do both at the same time.

Of course he doesn't, but he doesn't have a choice, it's a rebuild whether he likes it or not.

What team has ever churned over half it's roster and half it's cornerstone players and competed for a SB the next year?

btw, we're both presuming to know what Pete and John think. Neither of us are in the meeting room, I'm the only one being a realist. But thanks for the snark Si, much appreciated.

original poster

Reaction score
You do not rebuild a roster with a franchise QB.

You may make lots of changes, but by the assumed definition of a rebuild in NFL terms, the Seahawks do not fill into that category IMO.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ugrqfpi said:
Uncle Si":1ugrqfpi said:
Sgt. Largent":1ugrqfpi said:
Uncle Si":1ugrqfpi said:

Of course he doesn't, but he doesn't have a choice, it's a rebuild whether he likes it or not.

What team has ever churned over half it's roster and half it's cornerstone players and competed for a SB the next year?

btw, we're both presuming to know what Pete and John think. Neither of us are in the meeting room, I'm the only one being a realist. But thanks for the snark Si, much appreciated.

I know you love snark.. and mask your own with "realism" and support it with inaccurate statements like "1/2 the roster being churned."

Sherman, Bennett, Graham, Shead, Rawls, Richardon(s) are "cornerstone players?"

Two of them were.. a few years ago.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":373nymcu said:
You do not rebuild a roster with a franchise QB. .

Sure you do, it took the Saints three years of 7-9 to rebuild into a contender with Brees.

Falcons went 4-12, 6-10 and 8-8 before they got to the SB after getting to the conference championship in 2012.

It's certainly possible to stay competitive during coaching and roster changes with a franchise QB. Teams like the Pats and Packers are great at it.

But I certainly don't see us being in that category with the amount of coaching and roster change we've had this year. I see us in far more of a total rebuild like the Saints and Falcons, and not a reload like the Packers and Pats do most years with just retooling parts of their roster, not needing starters and depth at half the positions like we do in 2018.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":13s8gh2z said:

Sure they are. Team has no money, very few draft picks, got rid of a lot of talented players that were cornerstones to the team, Pete is unfamiliar with the college talent now that he's been so far removed, our best talent evaluator isnt with the team anymore (McCloughan), and the front office has laid an egg more often than not in the past few drafts. Is it possible for Seattle to contend next season or even the season after, I guess, but the magic wand better have a full charge.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
original poster":u7thts4p said:
You do not rebuild a roster with a franchise QB.

You may make lots of changes, but by the assumed definition of a rebuild in NFL terms, the Seahawks do not fill into that category IMO.

its fine..

im amazed at how many people are desperately trying to fit all this into some narrative that supports the worst possible outcome.. on March 19

When Sherman was traded it was "good riddance"

now its part of a rebuild because even though he was hurt and may never be the player he was... its "we've lost the cornerstone" etc, etc.

every one is in such a hurry to make a bold statement on the future but skip all the potential in between

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":22o8xr80 said:
Uncle Si":22o8xr80 said:

Sure they are. Team has no money, very few draft picks, got rid of a lot of talented players that were cornerstones to the team, Pete is unfamiliar with the college talent now that he's been so far removed, our best talent evaluator isnt with the team anymore (McCloughan), and the front office has laid an egg more often than not in the past few drafts. Is it possible for Seattle to contend next season or even the season after, I guess, but the magic wand better have a full charge.

Alot? cornerstones?

Who again? An injured Sherman? Bennett? Wait, was Graham a cornerstone to this team? Paul Richardson was? Thomas Rawls must be who you're talking about.

I'd suggest the potential of Graham and the memory of Sherman will be missed. Rebuilding off just that?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":f3olci0g said:
pittpnthrs":f3olci0g said:
Uncle Si":f3olci0g said:

Alot? cornerstones?

Who again? An injured Sherman? Bennett? Wait, was Graham a cornerstone to this team? Paul Richardson was? Thomas Rawls must be who you're talking about.

I'd suggest the potential of Graham and the memory of Sherman will be missed. Rebuilding off just that?

Bennett, Sherman, Sheldon, Kam, Graham, probably Earl too................how many cornerstones do you want?

That leaves Russell, Baldwin and Wagner.

And we're replacing these guys with 2nd and 3rd tier players with massive holes still all over the roster and barely any picks?

You sir, are the most optimistic optimist that ever optimized.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":cn38hnqd said:
Bennett, Sherman, Sheldon, Kam, Graham, probably Earl too................how many cornerstones do you want?

And we're replacing these guys with 2nd and 3rd tier players with massive holes still all over the roster and barely any picks?

But its only March. Relax

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2vd5wg6e said:
Sgt. Largent":2vd5wg6e said:

For sure, but you can't replace 5-6 guys who all performed at the highest level in their careers, some at Hall of Fame levels during our two Superbowls with 2nd and 3rd tier free agents, and barely any draft picks......................AND get back to the SB?

Some of you guys have some fo serious Hawk colored glasses on.

The question was "is this a rebuild," and if you don't think so I'd like to know what you DO think a rebuild is, cause it couldn't be any clearer to me.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1x5urwej said:
pittpnthrs":1x5urwej said:
Sgt. Largent":1x5urwej said:

For sure, but you can't replace 5-6 guys who all performed at the highest level in their careers, some at Hall of Fame levels during our two Superbowls with 2nd and 3rd tier free agents, and barely any draft picks......................AND get back to the SB?

Some of you guys have some fo serious Hawk colored glasses on.

The question was "is this a rebuild," and if you don't think so I'd like to know what you DO think a rebuild is, cause it couldn't be any clearer to me.

For those claiming this isn't a rebuild, I suppose it would only qualify if we didn't have 4 players in Wagner, RW, ETIII or ADB.

chris98251

Reaction score
Many say it's not a rebuild because we have Wilson, well the Colts had Manning, the Dolphins Marino, the Broncos Elway, the Saints Brees, and each had to put new players, coaches and systems around them, in Manning's case he moved to the Broncos, Dolphins never got back to a Super Bowl, took Coaching changes and a new system for Elway to get back, Brees is still working on it. Players like Fouts never got another run. Just because you have a very good QB does not mean you don't rebuild.

Latest posts