Sark Headed to USC

kearly

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1n29mc08 said:
Wilcox is the biggest loss here for UW. Maybe Petersen as HC and Orgeron as DC? Although I wouldn't mind them giving a serious look to NIU's head coach, Rod Carey.

Maybe Carey is a good coach, but I'd be wary of any small school program that rose to prominence on the backs of two sensational 6'1" QBs. Without Harnish and Lynch, NIU is still a nothing program.

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Wow losing all of our coaches is gonna hurt. This now really sucks..........

Throwdown

Reaction score
Interesting name just popped up on my twitter feed, Ray Horton is a UW Alum? I never knew that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It is what it is. I had a gut feeling when the USC job opened up that Sark would bail. He has no ties to UW, it was a stepping stone for him. At least he left the program in better shape than when he came in. Good luck at USC, Sark.

kearly

Reaction score
I wonder if Danny O'neil and some angst-ridden fans of like-mind calling for Sarks' head, at the end of UW's best season in 10+ years, factored in this decision? It's pretty hard to turn down such a rare opportunity for a fanbase that doesn't even want you anymore, despite turning the program around.

drrew

Reaction score
Throwdown":3ehmhf1y said:
Interesting name just popped up on my twitter feed, Ray Horton is a UW Alum? I never knew that.

Not just a UW Alum, Ray Horton is a Tacoma guy. That being said, zero NCAA experience.

kearly

Reaction score
Throwdown":1bkzfm8k said:

UW alum and is from Tacoma originally. I will be monitoring this situation closely.

davidonmi

Reaction score
While I wouldn't love petersen based on previous success by BSU coaches I'd be willing to let it play out with him

CANHawk

Reaction score
Considering how he was almost litterally run out of town on a rail (though I assume he flew to LA) it's pretty funny to see people clamoring for Jim Mora to come back.

As a semi-interested Husky fan (they're my NCAA team when I'm in an NCAA kinda mood) I wouldn't mind it. For all that i thought he was a god awful NFL coach, he always seemed to be a pretty good dude, and he's definitely proving himself a capable NCAA coach. I think it'd be fun if he came back.

Ray Horton though... that's very interesting. It might have just been some "Rooney Rule" crap*, but I seem to recall there being a bit of chatter on him as a NFL head coach at some point recently...

*Yes Pe, I know... I'm racist.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
davidonmi":2mab1mh0 said:
While I wouldn't love petersen based on previous success by BSU coaches I'd be willing to let it play out with him
Petersen has shown a consistent ability to get the most out of mid-level recruits. That's what I like about him. If he comes to UW he'll be able to get better recruits than he did at BSU so imagine what he'd be able to do with those players.

davidonmi

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1zhemdeu said:
davidonmi":1zhemdeu said:
Petersen has shown a consistent ability to get the most out of mid-level recruits. That's what I like about him. If he comes to UW he'll be able to get better recruits than he did at BSU so imagine what he'd be able to do with those players.
I don't think Petersen would be bad at all. The recent history of BSU coaches (Nutt, Hawkins, Koetter) is scary though

Throwdown

Reaction score
after careful research... Throwdown style (seeing age n stuff)

Petersen and Wilcox are the guys I want for the HC job.

They're still saying that if Wilcox doesn't get the HC offer, he's bolting to USC with Fark.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sark was Teflon right up until the very end here despite the same record year after year. If a bit of fan criticism factored into his decision, that just makes me extra glad he's gone.

Let him have the same record a few years in a row in his dream job at USC and see if there isn't blood. Heck there's blood now probably because USC fans are underwhelmed by the hire and he hasn't yet stepped foot in the door.

He'll have huge advantages at USC, but there'll be pressure as well. He won't be able to make zero progress in the win column for years and still get the kid-glove treatment from fans and media. I expect he'll probably do okay there like any decent coach would but I'm not concerned we're in for another Pete Carroll dynasty.

Chapow

Reaction score
kearly":1ebvqqll said:
I wonder if Danny O'neil and some angst-ridden fans of like-mind calling for Sarks' head, at the end of UW's best season in 10+ years, factored in this decision? It's pretty hard to turn down such a rare opportunity for a fanbase that doesn't even want you anymore, despite turning the program around.

Could be, but there aren't many more sought after or higher profile college HC positions than USC. My guess is that he was going to go to USC given the opportunity no matter what, and really, can you blame him? There aren't very many people that would turn down a pretty major promotion to stay at a lesser position even if things were going great at their current position.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
I don't want Wilcox as the HC, just be Sark 2.0. I want an experience HC< not somebody who has to learn on the job.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has brought up Deruyter. Took 4-9 to 10-1 in 2 years

davidonmi

Reaction score
razgriz737":393a6wzo said:
Scott Enyeart ‏@ScottEnyeart 57s
Have heard that UW has already interviewed a particular candidate to replace Sark, working on a getting a second source.

No RT @CronkiteSean: @ScottEnyeart is it someone currently on their staff
fetters says Mora is in Seattle. Interesting