Another domino: Raheem Morris to the Falcons

RiverDog

Reaction score
I would have guessed that someone would have snatched up Vrabel. It's hard to believe that everyone would pass on him....or maybe I have a higher opinion of him that the GM's do.

bileever

Reaction score
I'm disappointed because I had Raheem Morris ranked up there with Ben Johnson and MIke McDonald. It seems to me like he is going to be an excellent head coach. What he did with that Rams defense this year was pretty amazing.

hugecanoli

Reaction score
That hire is weird as all hell. Hiring their own former interim coach who started 3-1 and then went 1-6 down the stretch, which has been a pattern in his career... just bizarre all the way through.
He must have pics of Arthur Blank wearing nothing but a Home Depot tool belt in the red light district.

bigcc

Reaction score
I'm disappointed because I had Raheem Morris ranked up there with Ben Johnson and MIke McDonald. It seems to me like he is going to be an excellent head coach. What he did with that Rams defense this year was pretty amazing.
He's 21-38 as a HC

The rams were between 18-24 in every major defensive statistic.

What he did with that Rams defense this year was pretty amazing(ly) average-below average.

Hard pass, thanks falcons!

BASF

Reaction score
He's 21-38 as a HC

What he did with that Rams defense this year was pretty amazing(ly) average-below average.

With bubble gum and zip ties is what it looks like to most fans. They were very young and he got them playing well as a unit.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
With two seats remaining, and one probably going to Ben Johnson, it is wild to think that either Belichick or Vrabel (maybe both) will be left out. I know what way the league is trending, but I still believe that there aren't 12 better pro football coaches in the world than Carroll, Belichick and Vrabel.

Belichick is just another example of teams not wanting to hire coaches in their 70's. There's little upside to it.

bigcc

Reaction score
With bubble gum and zip ties is what it looks like to most fans. They were very young and he got them playing well as a unit.
Perhaps, also doesn't help defensive rankings that Rams score like they do.

That being said, putting him up there with Macdonald and Johnson is ludicrous.

He was still 21-38, in his defense he went a mighty 4-7 taking over for the 0-5 Dan Quinn.

Maybe we should go with potential, neither of these guys have had a coming to Jesus moment where everything started to click. We know who they are and it isn't with much upside whatsoever

bileever

Reaction score
He's 21-38 as a HC

Context is very important. Raheem Morris was 33 when he was hired for his first HC gig. He had only been made defensive coordinator for the Bucs one month before he was made HC. In addition, Jon Gruden had left the team in disarray and with salary cap issues. He also took over a mediocre Falcons team in 2020 after Dan Quinn was fired. Despite his overall record, he did coach the Bucaneers to the best turnaround in franchise history, going from 3-13 in 2009 to 10-6 in 2010, even though they had 10 rookie starters. (The first time in NFL history that a team with that many rookies had a winning record.)

In evaluating the Rams defense this year, you also have to look at the context. The Rams, still undergoing its Super Bowl hangover, had lost ten starters on their defense, and with the exception of Aaron Donald, pretty much had JAGs on their team. Given the personnel, you have to say that they outperformed expectations.

We would have been very lucky to get Morris.

bigcc

Reaction score
Context is very important. Raheem Morris was 33 when he was hired for his first HC gig. He had only been made defensive coordinator for the Bucs one month before he was made HC. In addition, Jon Gruden had left the team in disarray and with salary cap issues. He also took over a mediocre Falcons team in 2020 after Dan Quinn was fired. Despite his overall record, he did coach the Bucaneers to the best turnaround in franchise history, going from 3-13 in 2009 to 10-6 in 2010, even though they had 10 rookie starters. (The first time in NFL history that a team with that many rookies had a winning record.)

In evaluating the Rams defense this year, you also have to look at the context. The Rams, still undergoing its Super Bowl hangover, had lost ten starters on their defense, and with the exception of Aaron Donald, pretty much had JAGs on their team. Given the personnel, you have to say that they outperformed expectations.

We would have been very lucky to get Morris.
Still wouldn't have been my choice, but that post certainly would have warmed my heart had we hired him lol, well said

bileever

Reaction score
I don't think Morris landed in the best situation, with Taylor Heinecke and Desmond Ridder as the QBs. I can't see him succeeding there right away given the roster.

bigcc

Reaction score
I don't think Morris landed in the best situation, with Taylor Heinecke and Desmond Ridder as the QBs. I can't see him succeeding there right away given the roster.
While I agree with your premise, gotta remember it's the nfc south and bucs are going to regress due to their cap situation... The brady paycuts have come to collect

And don't get me started on the saints, they're 83.6 million over the cap and that's not accounting for expected draft pick cost

bileever

Reaction score
While I agree with your premise, gotta remember it's the nfc south and bucs are going to regress due to their cap situation... The brady paycuts have come to collect

And don't get me started on the saints, they're 83.6 million over the cap and that's not accounting for expected draft pick cost
And yes, imagine a division where the best QBs are Derek Carr and Baker Mayfield. By comparison, it sucks to be in the NFC West.

Fade

Reaction score
Raheem Morris is the literal opposite of what a modern NFL team should be looking for, especially where ATL is at.

Rich McKay and the other executives there--feared Belichick coming in, and giving them the boot. As Bill would inevitably bring in his own people.

Arthur Blank had a near mutiny on his hands, so he acquiesced to management. What a trash franchise, I'd hate to be an ATL fan.

Here's what Morris brings to the table.

-Can't develop or fix a QB.

-Mediocre defenses Coordinated. Sp expect them to get worse on defense.

- Can't play chess (in a football sense) against the best coaches in the league.

-Mediocre Defensive Coordinator is his ceiling.

-But at least he is a nice guy, and will make everyone feel better in the building with his upbeat attitude. This is more important than winning games, apparently. Hahaha haha.

James in PA

Reaction score
Raheem Morris is the literal opposite of what a modern NFL team should be looking for, especially where ATL is at.

Rich McKay and the other executives there--feared Belichick coming in, and giving them the boot. As Bill would inevitably bring in his own people.

Arthur Blank had a near mutiny on his hands, so he acquiesced to management. What a trash franchise, I'd hate to be an ATL fan.

Here's what Morris brings to the table.

-Can't develop or fix a QB.

-Mediocre defenses Coordinated. Sp expect them to get worse on defense.

- Can't play chess (in a football sense) against the best coaches in the league.

-Mediocre Defensive Coordinator is his ceiling.

-But at least he is a nice guy, and will make everyone feel better in the building with his upbeat attitude. This is more important than winning games, apparently. Hahaha haha.
I agree. I can't believe how many people are praising this hiring. I can easily see ATL having back-to-back losing seasons and in the market again for a new coach in a couple years.