Russell Wilson is Elite | I'm Putting the Nail in the Coffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Game managers don’t do what #3 did today. Elite QBs bring your team back in the 4th quarter for the win. And it wasn’t just once in the 4th quarter today. One day all the naysayers will look back at his career and say, “yeah, I guess he was elite. I should have enjoyed it more!”

toffee

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":sdpvye3b said:
Game managers don’t do what #3 did today. Elite QBs bring your team back in the 4th quarter for the win. And it wasn’t just once in the 4th quarter today. One day all the naysayers will look back at his career and say, “yeah, I guess he was elite. I should have enjoyed it more!”

but but but he's still too short, too white, and too game managerish to the Nancies.

Seymour

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":b879y0do said:

Haven't you heard? Some now call him "an elite game manager". Much like the "kind criminal", people are actually making up names to avoid admitting the real truth.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I’m okay with Russ being called a “game manager” as long as it is phrased within “the Greatest Game Manager of All-Time” because if you have to cap Russ’s success might at well give him as much credit as possible.

knownone

Reaction score
I think it was pretty clear today why Wilson is 7-2 against Newton.

Newton did a great job executing a game plan that protected him but didn't trust himself to make the throws needed to win the game. Wilson took control when his team couldn't get going and he made some ballsy throws to win the game. That's the difference between great and elite. It couldn't have been more evident in the final drive by both teams. Cam passed on the deep throw to take the dump off to get his kicker a 50+ yard field goal. Russ took a risk by standing tall in the pocket and ultimately finding the deep throw to put them in position to win the game.

Cam is a great QB. Russell is an elite QB

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
knownone":10zriy4i said:

Newton did a great job executing a game plan that protected him but didn't trust himself to make the throws needed to win the game. Wilson took control when his team couldn't get going and he made some ballsy throws to win the game. That's the difference between great and elite. It couldn't have been more evident in the final drive by both teams. Cam passed on the deep throw to take the dump off to get his kicker a 50+ yard field goal. Russ took a risk by standing tall in the pocket and ultimately finding the deep throw to put them in position to win the game.

I like how you phrased this.

I was thinking the same thing earlier during the game.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
mrt144":3t686ca4 said:
Fade":3t686ca4 said:
Sgt. Largent":3t686ca4 said:
To play Devil's Advocate I'd say so far the only sample or factual context is our 2013 roster where Pete and John built one of the top 2-3 defenses in the history of the NFL. But what helped pushed that roster over the top?

The cap space to go out and sign guys like Clemons, Avril, McDaniels, trade for Harvin and keep guys like Mebane, McQuistan, M-Rob, T-Jack and other key depth players on special teams.

We have Russell soaking up 20% of our salary cap? you better be perfect in drafting that young defense, there is NO room for error because you're not going to have that extra cap space to put you over the top.............and that's WITH one of the greatest defenses in history, we have to assume the next defense will be a lesser version of that.

Again, not saying we can't win another SB with paying Russell, but the fact is when you have to pay him 30+M, it makes the margins for error that much more severe.

Answer the question, stop side stepping.

Pick one.

Would you rather have Wilson and a $170M to build the rest of your team?

-or-

A Kase Keenum/Tarvaris Jackson type game manager and a $185M to build the rest of your team?

I can see people not answer because it's set up as a false dichotomy but I digress.

Okay. So you get to have Matt Ryan, Big Ben, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Andy Dalton, Jared Goff(not in McVay's system),Trubisky, Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Josh Allen, Andrew Luck or Matthew Stafford.

Are you absolutely sure these QBs get you a championship, or deep into the playoffs even with a loaded team? Heck, I'll even give you Phillip Rivers. He's been in the league for what? 15 years? Is his lack of success only because of bad luck?

Wilson is imo better than all the above named, and even if you argue the 3 or so QBs that are ahead of Wilson, they're all much older

chris98251

Reaction score
Well good thing he is a Elite game manager, manages games, hands the ball off till Pete says be Elite this play and throw a touchdown on 4th down to win a game for us and then go back to being a game manager till the next time I ask you to be elite for a play or two.

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":29d0qfwb said:
oldhawkfan":29d0qfwb said:

Haven't you heard? Some now call him "an elite game manager". Much like the "kind criminal", people are actually making up names to avoid admitting the real truth.

This.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
chris98251":hizqjq5g said:
Well good thing he is a Elite game manager, manages games, hands the ball off till Pete says be Elite this play and throw a touchdown on 4th down to win a game for us and then go back to being a game manager till the next time I ask you to be elite for a play or two.

The Elite Game Manager title is hilarious to me. It is the literal definition of someone being so biased and nitpicky that they have to bend over backwards to belittle Wilson. I'm actually impressed by the effort :D

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":78govfil said:
But were the Panthers a "good team?"

Do they have a winning record yet, do the Cowboys yet, we have not beat anyone that has a winning record remember.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3r0ev2c0 said:
knownone":3r0ev2c0 said:

I like how you phrased this.

I was thinking the same thing earlier during the game.

Me too... But the panther fans seem to,think cam is the much better qb.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Clearly Wilson was reading this thread. Big screw you to the negative Nancies. That 4th and 3 was 2013 NFCCG worthy.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I still don't consider Wilson elite, but this might be one of the best games I ever saw Wilson play.

Admittedly, the Panthers secondary is thin and somewhat terrible. And the Panthers don't get pressure like they used to - but he put the ball exactly where it needed to be - repeatedly.

He produced on 3rd down and did a decent job of keeping this team in things when the run game was struggling.

Given circumstances, he did everything you could ask a QB to do. Hopefully, this continues.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":122xa644 said:
I still don't consider Wilson elite, but this might be one of the best games I ever saw Wilson play.

Admittedly, the Panthers secondary is thin and somewhat terrible. And the Panthers don't get pressure like they used to - but he put the ball exactly where it needed to be - repeatedly.

He produced on 3rd down and did a decent job of keeping this team in things when the run game was struggling.

Given circumstances, he did everything you could ask a QB to do. Hopefully, this continues.

There is no need to hope. This is what Wilson is. The difference you're seeing is the protection, he is now getting time to throw.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BarstoolBigCat/status/1066795324608532482[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Espngreeny/status/1066801276334342146[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ColinCowherd/status/1066795805099536384[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/1066819544193228801[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/1066795954425126913[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1066795819439988736[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JacsonBevens/status/1066828982346166272[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/theryanmichael/status/1065068420046163968[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DAZN_CA/status/1066801122344464384[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hwkbgr/status/1066846097912541185[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1063515044636491779[/tweet]

Elite.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1uog1hhu said:

Well said.

Wilson played really, REALLY well today, and we needed it.

The last two games he has been much more decisive and authoritative with the football. Like you said, lets hope he keeps it up, because when he plays like this, he is phenomenal!!!!

evergreen

Reaction score
Mad Dog":28dpd5tj said:
Clearly Wilson was reading this thread. Big screw you to the negative Nancies. That 4th and 3 was 2013 NFCCG worthy.
Well kind of not really. It was freakin awesome though. There are no comps for 2014 NFCCG 4th and 7. I know it was 2013 season but it happened in 2014.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkpower":7ni04jfg said:
TwistedHusky":7ni04jfg said:

Well said.

Wilson played really, REALLY well today, and we needed it.

The last two games he has been much more decisive and authoritative with the football. Like you said, lets hope he keeps it up, because when he plays like this, he is phenomenal!!!!

So... outside a game here or there, just play like he has the last 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.