Russ is not a quarterback

mrkyle

Reaction score
never said jackson was anything, but it seems in the nfl when you just let a guy go out there and not move the chains,
that it just keeps going.
Tj isnt that fast, and throws before running, sometimes to the other team, or sometimes to nobody, but he will gun it there on every play, Watching wilson this year will dry one man nuts, he get a lil pressure run in a circle, get sacked, or throw a check down right in front of him, that gets smeared and makes a yard.

QB is the big stigma, any other position struggles this bad, and they bench him no questions asked. But a q can play like shit and get away with it. Who cares about the players think. Carroll is famous for competition at every position. He is not a stupid man, And can obviously see that the starting qb, is not up to par with what they need to win.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
You clearly don't remember what it was like when TJ actually was the starting quarterback here if you think that he will be a better passer than Russ. And by what measure is it Wilson that's struggling, and not the offense as a whole?

davidonmi

Reaction score
mrkyle":2e1ysnzj said:
I also think there was a belieft that is fading, that they new wilson wasnt really an nfl qb. But that his dual option was so good that he didnt need to be a nfl qb. The thing is 40 year old peyton manning that can barely through a ball anymore. Is more effective, than the young buck wilson. Because he gets the ball out consistenly to his playmakers
more effective? have you watched Peyton this year? Wilson looks like Aaron Rodgers in comparison

Crizilla

Reaction score
anyone who think wilson is an elite pocket passer is kidding themselves

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I say the pressure is on Bevell and Cable right now. Wilson is not playing good football, he's missing easy passes, and he's running himself into defenders. This is something I would expect from the likes of David Gerrard, not Russell Wilson. I think the issue here is that teams have figured out Wilson, and they have figured out our offense. Brock mentioned that the DB's our running our WR routes for them, and the guys on NFL network have also commented on the simple nature of Seattle's offense. They talked about how the route concepts are something that you would expect to see from a college NFL team, not one in the NFL.

Moreover I feel as if teams have learned how to play Russell Wilson. Teams are starting to use the strategy that the Rams employ against the Seahawks offense. Send 5 men, and use that 5th man to contain Wilson in the pocket. This strategy works every time. Russell Wilson hasn't bailed out of the pocket, and done his magic, because there has been no room to do so. When he does get out of the pocket there is usually a defender there to greet Wilson. The pocket is clearly not where Wilson wants to be, it is out of his comfort zone. He looks like a chicken with his head cut off when he is in the pocket, the last few weeks, I've seen him run himself into a defender for a sack, or try and break through his line to run up the middle only to be sacked.

Wilson's greatest strength is also his greatest weakness, and crutch. He can make amazing plays happen, but with those big plays come a whole lot of bad ones, and unfortunately I think teams are finding out how to limit Wilson's scramble drills. I think more now than ever Wilson needs a mentor, somebody who will tutor him, and show him the right direction. I do not think that Wilson has such a person on the Seahawks. I do not think Bevell or our QB coach are up for the job. If Hasselbeck is available or decides to retire I hope we can bring him on to our staff or as a backup. Hasselbeck excels in most of the area's that Wilson is struggling in right now.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
mrkyle":30jn141i said:
I said this on another thread. Its time to Bench WIlson. Bring in TJ see how it goes. Thats what the other guy is for. Either injury or spark. This team needs one.

Hire a new OC and qb coach if you want to teach wilson. He needs coaching and offseason practice on how to be a qb. His pocket game and ability to get ball out on a blitz is non existent. His pocket out routes are off. Its just to many things that a NFL qb needs to do he can't.

Watching cam rifle that stuff in off a blitz, was the total opposite, of Wilson. Everytime a blitz htis, wilson runs, never gets rid of the ball,

jesuuuuussss stahpppp..... Bench Wilson? He definately has his flaws but c'mon man

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
mrkyle":1zeamary said:
I said this on another thread. Its time to Bench WIlson. Bring in TJ see how it goes. Thats what the other guy is for. Either injury or spark. This team needs one.

Hire a new OC and qb coach if you want to teach wilson. He needs coaching and offseason practice on how to be a qb. His pocket game and ability to get ball out on a blitz is non existent. His pocket out routes are off. Its just to many things that a NFL qb needs to do he can't.

Watching cam rifle that stuff in off a blitz, was the total opposite, of Wilson. Everytime a blitz htis, wilson runs, never gets rid of the ball,

I really hope you are joking an speaking out of anger after a loss on this one. Have you seen our o-line play this year? Most QB would be on IR.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They are losing as a team, period. Plenty of blame to go around. Thru thick and thin, we will stick with the team. But reality has set in, they just are not that good this year. 5th straight loss when they had a lead in the 4th quarter. ZERO excuse to allow Olson to be wide open at the end of the game. Offense went conservative, yet again, when they had a lead. Defense looked confused in the 4th quarter. Play calling was pathetic in the 4th, yet again.

Steve2222

Reaction score
mrkyle":lajr7g6c said:
TwistedHusky":lajr7g6c said:
Except....

When Wilson is in a 2 min drill he marches down the field with seeming impunity. If he was really this incompetent, would that not be the time that his inability would be the most glaring? Why the opposite?

Isn't it interesting that the less contact Russ has with Bevell, the more effective he is?

And by the way, Elway did just fine as a scrambling QB "playmaker" and so did Steve Young. Now Wilson is no Young but you cannot tell me he cannot do the Elway thing if he wants?

Steve young was more like rodgers. And later years like the superbowl year he was pretty much a pocket qb. Plus the nfl is different now. QB's have to be better now than then. Wilson woulda been an all-pro back then

lol you're talking out of your ass. QBs have to be better now than then? Really? What leads you to that conclusion? Certainly it's not because you can't even sniff a QB as a defender without drawing a flag? Or certainly not that DBs can't even look at a WR without drawing PI?

You honestly don't think QB numbers are through the roof these days because the QBs are just so much better do you? You realize it's the fact that the NFL rules now cater to QBs. So why is it tougher to be a QB in 2015 than it was in 1995? You have no reason because you thought you were going to sound edgy and intelligent by the post that you had no idea what you were talking about. You became a football fan in 2005, let me guess?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Why dont we just trade him for a true pocket passer like Foles. See how Rams do with Wilson.
I'm sure twelves will be happy with Foles playing behind this line :lol:

randomation

Reaction score
mrkyle":8nlyzbtp said:
I also think there was a belieft that is fading, that they new wilson wasnt really an nfl qb. But that his dual option was so good that he didnt need to be a nfl qb. The thing is 40 year old peyton manning that can barely through a ball anymore. Is more effective, than the young buck wilson. Because he gets the ball out consistenly to his playmakers

You people are freaking nuts. Did Russ give up FOUR 80 yard TD drives including the game winner caught by the player Sherm and ET should have been watching who was burning us all night? They have given up 5 4th qtr leads nearly 6 going back to the super bowl. Our supposedly god mode D surrendered a 17 point lead I don't know if something need to change with conditioning or what but our D in the 4th is pathetic.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This board gets dumb after a tough loss. I get it and I do too to an extent and we all need to vent and talk about it, its part of being a fan. Saying Russell isn't a QB like this is on him is absolutely crazy. He was one of the few reasons we are even in games right now. Has he missed a few throws? Sure. Go watch a Brady game or a Rodgers game. They all miss throws. Wilson has played better and deserves some criticism but he isn't the problem and is still an elite guy. The anti-Wilson sentiment is ridiculous....

razor150

Reaction score
Wilson really isn't the problem, but at the same time he hasn't grown as a QB sine his 2nd year in the league. He hasn't done anything to fix the flaws in his game, and defenses have figured him out. This needs to be eye opening to him, quit trying to be a baseball player in the offseason and learn how to read a defense, learn to adjust protection, and learn to do pre-snap reads. These are all things he doesn't do well and is something a $20 million a year QB should be able to do with some consistancy.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":17s003jb said:
Tom Brady is a quarterback
Aaron Rodgers is a quarterback
Tony Romo is a quarterback
Carson Palmer is a quarterback
Matt Flynn is a quarterback...albeit, not a very good one

Cam Newton is a playmaker
Colin Kaepernick is a playmaker
Robert Griffin is a playmaker...albeit, not a very good one

And Russ is a playmaker. Unlike the quarterbacks, Russ doesn't really have a pocket game. He rarely gets the ball out quickly. But, he is at his best when he's on the run. And unlike the other playmakers, he is an elite playmaker. Plus, he has a mean deep ball. The Hawks can win games with him being a playmaker, obviously. But his first three years were masked with him playing with historically great defenses. And yes, he's orchestrated more than a few amazing comebacks. But now that he's playing with a borderline deplorable defense, we're seeing him struggle (a lot of blame falls on Darrell Wayne, too), is Russ being just a playmaker a bad thing, with this bad defense?

1) I don't agree with you
2) You likely weren't making these comments when they were winning.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Wilson does well against the blitz because he knows he has one on one coverage and he trusts his receivers to make the catch in that situation and for the most part they have. This also means his receivers are getting open. I have watched enough tape to definitely say that they are doing their job and then some. Russell isn't getting him the ball. He doesn't scan the field quickly making progressions and then throwing the ball. He is Kaepernicking, first option isn't there it is time to run. Russell is better throwing on the run then Kaep and Kaep is a better runner. Both will lead to failure and Wilson has been exposed.

How to beat Russell.

Keep DB's 10 yards off line of scrimmage.
Rush him with 5 dlineman.
Don't blitz.

Simple...

OP
OP
Thepeelsessions

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2t6zddl6 said:
Thepeelsessions":2t6zddl6 said:
Tom Brady is a quarterback
Aaron Rodgers is a quarterback
Tony Romo is a quarterback
Carson Palmer is a quarterback
Matt Flynn is a quarterback...albeit, not a very good one

Cam Newton is a playmaker
Colin Kaepernick is a playmaker
Robert Griffin is a playmaker...albeit, not a very good one

And Russ is a playmaker. Unlike the quarterbacks, Russ doesn't really have a pocket game. He rarely gets the ball out quickly. But, he is at his best when he's on the run. And unlike the other playmakers, he is an elite playmaker. Plus, he has a mean deep ball. The Hawks can win games with him being a playmaker, obviously. But his first three years were masked with him playing with historically great defenses. And yes, he's orchestrated more than a few amazing comebacks. But now that he's playing with a borderline deplorable defense, we're seeing him struggle (a lot of blame falls on Darrell Wayne, too), is Russ being just a playmaker a bad thing, with this bad defense?

1) I don't agree with you
2) You likely weren't making these comments when they were winning.

I've always seen Russ as a spectacular playmaker. It's not a bad thing. But the longer he plays in the league, teams will figure out how to defend him. So, at some point, he needs to start working on other aspects of his game. And I know that having WRs that get little to no separation doesn't help. Neither does the O line, or Bevell. But he needs to do whatever it takes to become a legitimate QB. He needs to start developing a comfort and a presense for the pocket. Being able to quickly diagnose defenses and audibling out, or calling a hot route. His vision needs to improve.

I'd like to know your take, Mr. Scientist. If you don't agree, would you put Russ in the QB realm with Brady, Rodgers, Romo, Luck, Palmer, or Rivers? Or serviceable guys like Cutler, Stafford, Tannehill, or Bortles? What about chumps like Weeden, McCown, or Bradford? Or what about a game manager like Alex Smith?

mrblitz

Reaction score
Design your passing game to move Russ around. Look for favorable matchups downfield and exploit. It would be a new kind of offense... the "Sandlot Offense". I think it could actually work as a 'new thing' in the league. Instead of trying to make Russ into Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, play to his current strengths: mobility and a great downfield ball. Russ has the best long ball of just about any QB, ever. Start to trust him to put it into tight, winnable 1:1 situations as a routine, and the offense explodes. Then, Russ doesn't have to wait for the open guy, but can look instead for the first favorable matchup.

What if they did this, and Russ could maintain a postive TD:Int Ratio, like 4:3 or 5:3? I think it could work, because the Ints would all be occurring downfield, and give the D a cusihon.

Anyway, I think Russ is the best downfield passer ever, and the offense should be totally geared to that, at least between the 20s. Inside the red zone, guys like Graham would gain more of a focus for corner fades and such. I know the fade isn't popular with everyone around here, but if Russ could do the red zone fade pass like Krieg used to do. they could get huge chunks between the 20s with the deep stuff, and get the TD from inside the red zone. And if their running game took off, this offense would average 30+ ppg. And it would be exciting... not dink and dunk but more like 'rock your world'.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Carroll said today that there are a few plays every game where Russell has the protection and the time to wait in the pocket and let things develop. The trouble is his natural instinct is sometimes to take off running. They are trying to find ways to allow him to seize those opportunities in the pocket.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
mrkyle":zotgdp3i said:
I dont for one minute believe this was ever wilsons team anyway.

And I don't for one minute believe that you know what you're talking about either.
Just look up Wilsons QB ratings over his time here in Seattle, look up his pressures, HITS & sacks and then try coming in a little easier on your landings.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IrishNW":nuc2i31w said:
Maybe our offensive coordinator should start thinking outside the box on how to get our "playmaker" in better position to make plays. If he can't stand in the pocket and make throws don't make him stand in the pocket.
BINGO!