Rumor: RW asking to be the highest paid player in history

Tical21

Reaction score
We pass less than anybody, yet we will have the highest paid quarterback? Could we justify running less than amybody else and then making our RB the highest paid RB in football? I'm not going to argue about it for six pages, but signing Russell Wilson to anywhere near the money being mentioned is an absolute franchise killer and will greatly hinder our future super bowl chances.

If Russell wants big money and fame, he sacrifices now for the sake of more Super Bowls, then lives off his status as a legend for the rest of his life after football.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I'm literally done with caring about this.

But F--k Russell Carrington Wilson if he truly believes he's currently one of the top 3 QBs in this league let alone the greatest in NFL History ever.

He has done a lot to earn a huge payday but enough to earn the most paid of all time ever???

Unless that highest paid contract is heavily incentive laden with stipulations in which he'll have to be consistently extraordinary to achieve.

Cya... Russ.

Now I'm done with this BS.

Edits: its kind of weird but awesome when Tical and myself are on the same page of thought.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2jfuerc5 said:
But F--k Russell Carrington Wilson if he truly believes he's currently one of the top 3 QBs in this league let alone the greatest in NFL History ever.

Being the highest paid QB in today's NFL does not equate to thinking you are the greatest of all time. That is a strange criticism.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ also if you are signing a five-six year extension then you will be middle of the pack by the last year of that contract.

So if you take into account severely underpaid for the past three years and that cap wil continue to rise moving everyone's salary up then $20 million are is "reasonable" (I wish I could make that argument with my boss).

The problem for RW is if he plays out this year then he will be franchised for at least one more year. Then a new contract from that point will ignore any prior years and he risks injury. He has little to gain by pushing for compensation for this year beyond getting an extension

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Wow, a whole lot of butthurt in this thread. Relax....... a lot of "agent speak" going on, and a baseball agent learning the hard way that baseball is different than the NFL.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
mikeak":3o7oxozk said:
^ also if you are signing a five-six year extension then you will be middle of the pack by the last year of that contract.

So if you take into account severely underpaid for the past three years and that cap wil continue to rise moving everyone's salary up then $20 million are is "reasonable" (I wish I could make that argument with my boss).

The problem for RW is if he plays out this year then he will be franchised for at least one more year. Then a new contract from that point will ignore any prior years and he risks injury. He has little to gain by pushing for compensation for this year beyond getting an extension
Yep, I don't think RW wants to only make 1.5 next year, which is the case if he doesn't get a new deal. Hawks have the leverage right now, and they can use the exclusive franchise tag after that if a new deal isn't signed. Not worried.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
mikeak":27vw0m86 said:

Yet if he becomes greedy a.f. "I'm the best ever" Dee Dee dee and still wants to be the highest paid despite "the extension" then you're looking at his apy to be about 27m a year or whatever it takes to get a 4 year extension to become at least $22.1m over 5 years.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
In honesty I would love for Russell to go to another team that passes more and win multiple Superbowls and still make alot of money just to prove to some people on here that he's more than just a game manager. To top it off would love for him to go against the Seahawks defense and torch the heck out of them leaving no doubt.

We run the most because of Russell Wilson and the threat of his run. 2005 was the last year Seahawks had a run game in the top 5, it wasn't until Wilson was drafted that we stayed Top 5 for consecutive years. So don't tell me Wilson has nothing to do with the run game. If you factor just Lynch and his backups stats per year, they would be in the 20's in rank.

We will be paying Wilson for almost 2 players. I would love for Wilson to take a discount of course, and work out a long term deal, but the fact of the matter is injury in football is not predictable. If something were to happen to Wilson this year and it's a football ending injury he would of looked like the fool. He would of played almost 4 years for pennies. Guess what no big money for him, probably no more endorsements deals, etc. He's been hit alot, he's toughen it out to keep playing. Pete Carroll has mention in interviews that Russell has been banged up pretty good, but he won't let him know that it's bothering him.

If the FO can't come to terms with him then let him go I would be fine with it. He will thrive in a new place, the only problem is, is everyone ready to go back to mediocre?

Tical21

Reaction score
While Softy is nothing more than a fat male cheerleader and if I ever shared an opinion with him I would immediately re-think the situation, strangely he usually has very credible sources inside our local teams.

Hopefully this is Russ's starting point and not a line he is drawing in the sand.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3t907ucl said:
If something were to happen to Wilson this year and it's a football ending injury he would of looked like the fool. He would of played almost 4 years for pennies.

Turning down big money from the organization (5 years, $105 million, let's say) would accomplish the same thing if he gets hurt this year.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3rahzy35 said:
jammerhawk":3rahzy35 said:
Oh No!!!

The sky is falling!

Everyday some new negativity: Clark the woman beater, The FO didn't do enough due diligence, they overpaid for Lockett, Bennett wants a trade, Russell wants to be the highest paid player in NFL history. most all of this is pure speculative horse pucker.

Whatever, can't wait for there to be some actual football news instead of soap opera versions of 'As the stomach churns'.

:pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:
Welcome to the Facebook mentality of the Internet.

Can't blame Facebook. This kind of stuff has been .NET fodder since before Facebook was a thing.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
hawknation2015":e2ol7qor said:
theincrediblesok":e2ol7qor said:
If something were to happen to Wilson this year and it's a football ending injury he would of looked like the fool. He would of played almost 4 years for pennies.

Turning down big money from the organization (5 years, $105 million, let's say) would accomplish the same thing if he gets hurt this year.

Or played beyond his contract where he believes he's worth more than that contract and pulls a Lynch....

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1i76l58t said:
In honesty I would love for Russell to go to another team that passes more and win multiple Superbowls and still make alot of money just to prove to some people on here that he's more than just a game manager. To top it off would love for him to go against the Seahawks defense and torch the heck out of them leaving no doubt.

We run the most because of Russell Wilson and the threat of his run. 2005 was the last year Seahawks had a run game in the top 5, it wasn't until Wilson was drafted that we stayed Top 5 for consecutive years. So don't tell me Wilson has nothing to do with the run game. If you factor just Lynch and his backups stats per year, they would be in the 20's in rank.

We will be paying Wilson for almost 2 players. I would love for Wilson to take a discount of course, and work out a long term deal, but the fact of the matter is injury in football is not predictable. If something were to happen to Wilson this year and it's a football ending injury he would of looked like the fool. He would of played almost 4 years for pennies. Guess what no big money for him, probably no more endorsements deals, etc. He's been hit alot, he's toughen it out to keep playing. Pete Carroll has mention in interviews that Russell has been banged up pretty good, but he won't let him know that it's bothering him.

If the FO can't come to terms with him then let him go I would be fine with it. He will thrive in a new place, the only problem is, is everyone ready to go back to mediocre?

Edit: disregard this... I read your post wrong... My emotions are jacked.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":18kfn3t6 said:
hawknation2015":18kfn3t6 said:
theincrediblesok":18kfn3t6 said:

Or played beyond his contract where he believes he's worth more than that contract and pulls a Lynch....

Holding out is extremely rare for QBs -- they are paid extremely well, they are the face of their organizations, and they are expected to lead team activities and practices. If Russell ever held out, it would practically destroy his commercial appeal. I don't see that happening, ever.

Anthony!

Reaction score
jblaze":3qra0lvz said:
That would be true without the "wide margin" part of the quote. That doesn't sound like 500k over what Rodgers makes.

Also from what Softy was saying, it sounds like he's asking for the last year of his contract to be ripped up and start on a new contract starting at 20 some million a year. JS/PC extend players a year early but also extend and use the last year of the contract to help with salary cap, etc. Perhaps that's a sticking point. Maybe he doesn't want 1.5m this year and a big signing bonus, maybe he wants 20 some million this year and the big signing bonus and a bunch of years instead of the typical 4 years added as we've seen with extensions the past few contracts.

I don't really see a problem with 22.5m apy, I care about salary cap implications and how many years it's tolerable until we have to restructure and push cap charges into the future to keep our "window" open.

Hate to say it but JS set this up by caving into Lynch 2 years in a row. If they can give Lynch more money even though he has years left on his contract why not Wilson.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":ctrrmlxq said:
There are far too many surprised fans in this thread. The realists have been arguing against a discount for over a year now. It's your own bad expectations that are the problem.
This.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
He's going to get paid and it will be us that bucks up. This drama is just par for the course when dealing with quarterback negotiations. Not worried at all here.

The man has a rare, if not unique skill set with the results to back it. So he's going to cost a lot of money. Realize that and deal with it.

jdblack

Reaction score
I think it is most accurate to think in terms of average QB ranking over the life of the contract. For example, 20 million a year would be tied for #5 right now. If that is #25 after 6 years (5-year extension), then a 5-year contract would average to #15. Is Russell going to be the 15th best QB over the next 6 years?

I personally value Russell around the #5 QB right now. That's probably going up, but lets just assume he'll stay the #5 QB. If you want to pay the #5 QB fairly over the next 6 years (5 year extension), so that his average salary is #5, you pretty much have to make him the highest paid QB right now.

Regarding the franchise tag, I think we'd end up paying around 25M a year in 2016/2017 if we tagged him twice. Then we'd probably lose our QB and wouldn't have any high draft picks to replace. Seahawks would likely be back in the dregs of the NFL for a while. I'd much rather pay Russell 23M a year for the next 6 years.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
jdblack":2iy1he1t said:
I think it is most accurate to think in terms of average QB ranking over the life of the contract. For example, 20 million a year would be tied for #5 right now. If that is #25 after 6 years (5-year extension), then a 5-year contract would average to #15. Is Russell going to be the 15th best QB over the next 6 years?

I personally value Russell around the #5 QB right now. That's probably going up, but lets just assume he'll stay the #5 QB. If you want to pay the #5 QB fairly over the next 6 years (5 year extension), so that his average salary is #5, you pretty much have to make him the highest paid QB right now.

Regarding the franchise tag, I think we'd end up paying around 25M a year in 2016/2017 if we tagged him twice. Then we'd probably lose our QB and wouldn't have any high draft picks to replace. Seahawks would likely be back in the dregs of the NFL for a while. I'd much rather pay Russell 23M a year for the next 6 years.

This makes sense and I think Wilson wants a long term deal, Seattle is willing to only give him a 4 year extension right now, why not just make it 6 years and be the face of the franchise for a total of 10 years. While he's in his prime get him for what will be considered the highest paid player until a few years later where the cap will rise and some other player will be asked to be paid as the highest player.