Roster cut announcements have begun

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Kasen and Desir are definitely surprises at first but when looking at the roster there was no other way.

Kasen was always going to be WR #6 and sometimes there is a spot for that and sometimes there isn't. This year we kept an extra RB (McKissic) who's only role will be filling in as returner untill Lockett gets back to 100%. Which will still be a lot more contribution than Kasen would have given us in this all in year.

Desir played great but who could he have beaten out? Sherman, Lane and Shaq were locks. Thorpe is a ST star (key decider when deciding on depth players) and they traded for Coleman. Not to forget that even if Desir made the roster he would be cut later on to make room for Shead anyway.

Hope they make it to the PS though.

adeltaY

Reaction score
This guy on reddit watched Kasen's snaps, including run-plays, for the fourth preseason game against the Raiders and wrote up his impressions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seahawks/comme ... _week_4_a/

You'll see that, based on his observations, Kasen struggled to get open consistently vs. man coverage (primarily 2nd, 3rd, 4th string corners) and didn't show as much effort and awareness as a blocker for the run game, something we know Pete really values. He did a great job of winning jump balls, which is valuable, but not enough to make a roster in and of itself in the coaching staff's eyes. Have to give him credit for the catch against Xavier Rhodes especially, that was a great effort against a top-5 corner. Wish him the best.

Not sure why some folks here are mad about Darboh making the team, dude was hurt for the first two games, got set up to take a nasty hit in the third game, and did a decent job in the fourth game. Honestly, most of the passes that came his way were terribly inaccurate ones from Boykin. the backup QBs did him no favors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Prosise play much or at all in the preseason last year? Don't remember people being as narked about that and we've all seen how talented the dude is. Darboh can absolutely be a good player and the Hawks have club control over him for three more years than they would have over Kasen.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Jeremy517":3keew7ru said:
TwistedHusky":3keew7ru said:
And it won't change the fact that wasting a 3rd round pick on a WR, when we needed OL help and were in the middle of one of the deepest drafts for guys that play in the secondary, was stupid.

Especially when the guy you got isn't going to do much for you anyway, and showed that all preseason.

Whether Williams makes the PS is hardly the issue. The issue is putting a useless player in the 53 instead.

Wide receiver is one of the toughest positions to come in and play for a rookie. There have only been 15 1,000-yard receiving seasons by rookies EVER. Throwing away a third-round rookie wide receiver would be incredibly stupid.

Darboh would never have made it to the Seahawk practice squad, because there is absolutely no chance he would clear waivers.
Yep. I think many here forget how long it took Golden Tate to make an impact on this team. I do...And, I still remember the uproar when he went off to Detroit.
Oh my lord, some implosions over here are hilarious.

themunn

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":37gb1gs1 said:
Blind hate?

I dislike it when guys get kept because of their draft slot instead of their ability in games.

Darboh very well might produce in 2+ years but nobody cares because we are looking at a closing window and have to be all in for this year.

And guys like him don't produce in Year 1.

It isn't blind hate, it is disdain for stupid decisions made because of stupid decisions made earlier. I got asked the same thing about Collins last year and the same answer applies - because keeping someone that cannot help us instead of keeping someone that CAN help us is annoying, if not outright frustrating.

Darboh is likely a very nice person. I don't care. He isn't going to help us, shouldn't be on the team and won't do anything being on this team. Just like Collins, because he was kept for the same reason that Collins was.

It's that attitude that closes windows. We have just filled the team with lots of young talent that has the potential to replace the guys who are ageing - in 2/3 years when Bennett and Avril are well past their best we could have Richardson and McDowall stepping up, when Sherman can't go anymore we have Griffin etc.

History is littered with examples of great players not producing their first season - Steve Smith had just 10 catches as a rookie. Of course it's crazy to say Darboh is the next Steve Smith, but if he catches more than 10 passes this year his career is off to a faster start than his - and even if he only catches 2 - it's still more than Kasen Williams has ever done.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not understanding the "worthless" tags that Darboh is getting on this board. He worked through some minor injuries during camp, came back and played, caught some balls, showed he could run routes. He's a very promising 3rd round WR with great hands, good body control, nice speed and (from college) good football smarts.

I understand not wanting Kasen cut, I wanted him on the roster as well...but to throw Darboh out with the bathwater is just plain silly. He has similar attributes that Williams brought to the table. Let him play some football before you really start to convince yourself that he is sub-par.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
The reason we kept Darboh is simple, we're 2 for 2 with Jim Harbaugh receivers in the Carroll era.

Carroll and Harbaugh were rivals for years and years, but its not rooted in hatred. I think Carroll really respects Harbaugh, and whatever info they picked up about Darboh surely had to come from Harbaugh.

Also, for years people were complaining about how we don't have any big receivers and then want to cut a guy whose 6'2", so you really can't win with Seahawks fans.

We've tried to draft bigger receivers in the past and seem to strike out every time. Kris Durham, Chris Harper, Kevin Norwood. All didn't work out.

We need a tough receiver willing to take a hit, Darboh is going to be a tough player for us. We have a lot of softer guys in Richardson, Lockett and Graham.

Now we have Darboh and McEvoy. Very excited about McEvoy, could be special player for us.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":29kxqhri said:
The reason we kept Darboh is simple, we're 2 for 2 with Jim Harbaugh receivers in the Carroll era.

Carroll and Harbaugh were rivals for years and years, but its not rooted in hatred. I think Carroll really respects Harbaugh, and whatever info they picked up about Darboh surely had to come from Harbaugh.

Also, for years people were complaining about how we don't have any big receivers and then want to cut a guy whose 6'2", so you really can't win with Seahawks fans.

We've tried to draft bigger receivers in the past and seem to strike out every time. Kris Durham, Chris Harper, Kevin Norwood. All didn't work out.

We need a tough receiver willing to take a hit, Darboh is going to be a tough player for us. We have a lot of softer guys in Richardson, Lockett and Graham.

Now we have Darboh and McEvoy. Very excited about McEvoy, could be special player for us.
Yes...so much yes.

Love me some McEvoy!!!

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3hys368o said:
to all of you claiming that this goes against Pete's mantra:

How do you know?

We see limited snapshots in a few meaningless games. The coaches see much more than we are ever privy to.

Additionally, Kasen has been with the team for years now, the coaches know what he can and can't do. The truth is that he is limited a bit athletically and while he had some good moments this preseason, the over reaction to this is borderline comical. The guy wasn't really even all that great at UW, and I'm a huge dawg fan.

Let's direct our fake outrage elsewhere. Not sure Kasen really deserves it imo.

Richard Sherman confirmed what was obvious to most observers for starters. He did so more than once, and was clearly irritated by the cut. Bad move by him, but a reasonable pulse of a player that would certainly know.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Seymour":5c34shty said:
Hawkpower":5c34shty said:
to all of you claiming that this goes against Pete's mantra:

How do you know?

We see limited snapshots in a few meaningless games. The coaches see much more than we are ever privy to.

Additionally, Kasen has been with the team for years now, the coaches know what he can and can't do. The truth is that he is limited a bit athletically and while he had some good moments this preseason, the over reaction to this is borderline comical. The guy wasn't really even all that great at UW, and I'm a huge dawg fan.

Let's direct our fake outrage elsewhere. Not sure Kasen really deserves it imo.

Richard Sherman confirmed what was obvious to most observers for starters. He did so more than once, and was clearly irritated by the cut. Bad move by him, but a reasonable pulse of a player that would certainly know.

Or they're buds. Players can have bias too.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I am surprised Kasen was cut but I think the Darboh trashing is pretty silly. Reports were that he wasn't doing much in camp either but you have to give receivers time to develop. The talent and measurables are there he just needs time.
As for Kasen he already has shown an ability to make big time plays I'm still bummed he was cut. Yeah Wilson doesn't throw a lot of 50/50 balls but Chris Matthews showed he can do it well when nothing else seems to be working.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
adeltaY":a76i3nlj said:
This guy on reddit watched Kasen's snaps, including run-plays, for the fourth preseason game against the Raiders and wrote up his impressions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seahawks/comme ... _week_4_a/

You'll see that, based on his observations, Kasen struggled to get open consistently vs. man coverage (primarily 2nd, 3rd, 4th string corners) and didn't show as much effort and awareness as a blocker for the run game, something we know Pete really values. He did a great job of winning jump balls, which is valuable, but not enough to make a roster in and of itself in the coaching staff's eyes. Have to give him credit for the catch against Xavier Rhodes especially, that was a great effort against a top-5 corner. Wish him the best.

Not sure why some folks here are mad about Darboh making the team, dude was hurt for the first two games, got set up to take a nasty hit in the third game, and did a decent job in the fourth game. Honestly, most of the passes that came his way were terribly inaccurate ones from Boykin. the backup QBs did him no favors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Prosise play much or at all in the preseason last year? Don't remember people being as narked about that and we've all seen how talented the dude is. Darboh can absolutely be a good player and the Hawks have club control over him for three more years than they would have over Kasen.

Thanks for sharing! THAT was very educational and insightful. We as fans don't always see everything, so that was very helpful in providing some rationale for why Kasen Williams might have been let go.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2azbyj9n said:
I dont understand the logic of being upset that Kasen was cut after 3 years of nothing and being upset that they kept Darboh.

Why allow Kasen the 3 years of development and not Darboh?

Oh, I don't know........Maybe because he (Kasen Williams) showed that he indeed DID "develop" in preseason games THIS YEAR, that he did "ALWAYS COMPETE", and was show the exit door for all his up-sides efforts.
I'm not one of the blokes that are saying that Darboh should have been cut, to make room for Williams, but, you can't seriously berate a LOT of fans for being a little pissed that KW kicked it in the ass, showed a lot better than a few that made the roster, and yet still got sent packing.

The Breh

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1ixzec66 said:
I am surprised Kasen was cut but I think the Darboh trashing is pretty silly. Reports were that he wasn't doing much in camp either but you have to give receivers time to develop. The talent and measurables are there he just needs time.
As for Kasen he already has shown an ability to make big time plays I'm still bummed he was cut. Yeah Wilson doesn't throw a lot of 50/50 balls but Chris Matthews showed he can do it well when nothing else seems to be working.

So a dude like Kasen who's out there making plays gets cut for a guy that "needs time" to develop ?
What kinda stupid bullshit against the "always compete" shit is this ?
While making a case for an unproven Darboh you're putting down Kasen.
Acting like you've seen Darboh make the same catches Kasen did which we all thought earned him a roster spot.
Y'all are trying your best to rationalize this. :pukeface:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Fans are hanging their hats on 4 or 5 splash plays Williams made in the preaseason games; coaches evaluated the other 98% of the competition too. Lots of reasons why Darboh and McEvoy made the final cut over him, I'm sure.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Déjà vu ..... our discourse is governed by the limitations of views thru a soda straw.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Jville":186c9f8f said:
Déjà vu ..... our discourse is governed by the limitations of views thru a soda straw.
Might even be one of those pretzel-like straws Pizza Hut used to have.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
The Breh":34i699jp said:
Natethegreat":34i699jp said:

So a dude like Kasen who's out there making plays gets cut for a guy that "needs time" to develop ?
Acting like you've seen Darboh make the same catches Kasen did which we all thought earned him a roster spot.

It's Kasen's third year w the Hawks. Still doesn't block, still doesn't put forth 100% effort unless he's the play. That's a big deal. If he hasn't figured out in two previous seasons why he doesn't make the team...to the point that he still doesn't do the dirty work that it takes to be a WR on this team...why keep him?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Darboh is going to surprise people and be a staple on offense at some point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3g6s7wzy said:
Basis4day":3g6s7wzy said:
I dont understand the logic of being upset that Kasen was cut after 3 years of nothing and being upset that they kept Darboh.

Why allow Kasen the 3 years of development and not Darboh?

Oh, I don't know........Maybe because he (Kasen Williams) showed that he indeed DID "develop" in preseason games THIS YEAR, that he did "ALWAYS COMPETE", and was show the exit door for all his up-sides efforts.
I'm not one of the blokes that are saying that Darboh should have been cut, to make room for Williams, but, you can't seriously berate a LOT of fans for being a little pissed that KW kicked it in the ass, showed a lot better than a few that made the roster, and yet still got sent packing.

He absolutely did not always compete- that's just the thing. If he wasn't the play, he half-asses his efforts. Didn't engage downfield blocking, didn't even block guys when the play was to his side. I'm not sure what the word "always" means to you...but to me, on this team it means 100% of the plays you're on the field. Not just the go-routes called for you. His effort on his non-plays has been documented on this board and was evident while watching the games. Again, it's his 3rd go-round with this team. If he doesn't understand yet that he needs to engage CBs downfield and hold hos blocks on them, then he obviously doesn't care enough or isn't smart enough to be on the final 53.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
The Breh":1nihvph6 said:
Natethegreat":1nihvph6 said:

It is very easy to justify this decision. Our HC knows more than any of us on who is the who in the NFL.
The HC cuts a guy you covet and you call BS on that.
Childlike response.