Rookie Mini Camp

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
AgentDib":tpnevtiw said:
In case you missed this tidbit from today.

.com":tpnevtiw said:
One other interesting UDFA in camp is Wisconsin’s Tanner McEvoy, a versatile 6-foot-6, 230-pound athlete who played receiver, safety and quarterback in college, and for now at least, is lining up at safety.
Carroll called McEvoy a “really unique player,” and that the Seahawks will “start him on the defense side and just see what happens from there.
Good. Maybe this will end the Steven Terrel experiment.

Sent from my SC-04F using Tapatalk

AgentDib

Reaction score
A few more updates after camp conclusion from Pete and Cable's interviews.

RB: Pete's very excited about RB competition, particularly Prosise who they love as a receiver as well as a back. Prosise and Brooks overlap a bit while Collins is still looking like a first down back. They've already thought about how to expand Prosise's role as a third down back before they drafted him and they can line him up as a receiver or in the backfield. The goal will be to start at 3rd down back and then figure out how to expand it as he gets comfortable.

DT: Expecting huge (starter) contributions from Reed. Great leadership. They'll wait until training camp to figure out who will be 3T and who will be 1T as Rubin and Reed can do both.

Center: Joey Hunt can contribute early because of how smart he is. Size doesn't help him but he's managed it and they'll see, Pete thinks he'll be fine. Britt's move to center is about flexibility and getting more information. They almost did it last year and Britt was working on it mentally before training camp last year but they opted not to go that way. He's looked very comfortable so far. If he can play every position he'll be extremely valuable because he knows the most and has the best communication with Cable. Per Cable, Lewis is the key and has proven what he can do.

Other O-Line: Huge emphasis on flexibility. They like to play rookies from spread offenses at guard at first and then make the decision later about whether to keep them at guard or move to tackle. Liked how Webb finished at RT last season, and Ifedi's flexibility lets them put him at RG. Glow is moving to LG because they think he can handle it, they've always wanted to play Gilliam at LT so this is their chance to do so and he has first shot at it. Gilliam only needs confidence. Sokoli has to develop, tremendous ability and will still play guard and center but is transitioning from other side so it will take longer. Sowell has played every position (including long snapper) and is there for versatility. Odhiambo impressed Cable with his football smarts and Cable thinks he'll be able to play a few spots well.

TE: Vannett is a great receiver and combo blocker. Hard to tell about him coming off the football and blocking DE's single. He didn't have to do that much at Ohio State and so they'll see but he'll mainly be playing at Y spot with Graham/Willson in TE2/receiver spots.

Lawler: Great catcher but too thin, lost 15 lbs since combine. They can get him stronger and his hands won't change.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Even in the catch above Lawler is about .....what, 5 inches off the ground?

I absolutely love that he makes the difficult catches because I think he really has to on a long ball. I don't doubt that he'll be able to get open enough in the intermediate routes, but maybe taking the pounding at an NFL level might get to him. Also have some concern, just like Richardson, about holding the sideline wide enough to that he can give himself room instead of getting walled off to the sideline and leaving no space at all. We'll see....

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Also, I actually liked Poole's tape last preseason at RT so if new dude looks better then all the better, but at the same time, and I can't emphasize this enough; is that the OL are fighting AIR right now.

Not even remotely in the same realm as having another big badarse across from you.

EDIT: Actually given that you're really only seeing movement and the fact that Poole has lost 20 pounds, I don't know, but still.....AIR.

chris98251

Reaction score
I hope Lawler can put some meat and muscle on himself, he is never going to be a Owens type receiver body wise, I can hope he can fill out and be more of a Randy Moss type though, I don't think he will be a primary receiver but Red zone and 3rd down for sidelines his height and wingspan should be a big bonus converting 3rd downs and being a target that Wilson can throw it up to. Him at 6'6 and Graham and the new Rookie Vannett all 6'6 or above, then throw in our other guys and receiving backs as well as just having power runners. Bevell has no excuses for screwing up opportunity in the Red zone at this point and goal line.

We are a defensive team first by identity, but this offense has the tools to be a shoot out type if we wanted with all these weapons.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
chris98251":2oj5nd54 said:
I hope Lawler can put some meat and muscle on himself, he is never going to be a Owens type receiver body wise, I can hope he can fill out and be more of a Randy Moss type though, I don't think he will be a primary receiver but Red zone and 3rd down for sidelines his height and wingspan should be a big bonus converting 3rd downs and being a target that Wilson can throw it up to. Him at 6'6 and Graham and the new Rookie Vannett all 6'6 or above, then throw in our other guys and receiving backs as well as just having power runners. Bevell has no excuses for screwing up opportunity in the Red zone at this point and goal line.

We are a defensive team first by identity, but this offense has the tools to be a shoot out type if we wanted with all these weapons.

Isn't Lawler listed at 6'2" ?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
How many of these undrafted free agents will pop up on the roster when training camp begins? Does this seem like a year where more UDFAs than usual will be in camp in July?

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1b80903m said:
How many of these undrafted free agents will pop up on the roster when training camp begins? Does this seem like a year where more UDFAs than usual will be in camp in July?

I expect those that have ability and are aggressive will rise to the top this year, were back to all about attitude and being the bully.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":7hb1plxr said:
Siouxhawk":7hb1plxr said:

I expect those that have ability and are aggressive will rise to the top this year, were back to all about attitude and being the bully.
I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the veterans, but this will be an interesting training camp. I thought we might be taking a step back on the defensive line, but I was ecstatic when Reed slipped to us and Jefferson seems to have that aggressiveness we covet. I love our team.

mikeak

Reaction score
cheese22":22awwr5z said:
MacEvoy could be our answer to one of our biggest weaknesses on D, covering TEs. He has good coverage skills and the size and speed to stay with most TEs. Add in his ST ability and I think he can stick.

We don't run man coverage so our weakness comes from holes in the zone / bad handovers and not because we don't have a guy that can follow a TE around the field

xgeoff

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1zcrtmdj said:
Also, listening to DC Kris Richard on the radio, he said that they were testing DLine on where certain players are suppose to be set on defense on certain plays. And they even asked about CBs.

Richard said that Reed not only was the first to answer but he even knew where CBs needed to be.

Reed is going to be awesome. Hes going to make a difference, hes probably the most excited ive been about a pick just coming into the league labeled to be an immediate starter.

I hope so. I would just be really psyched if he can rush the passer in addition to being strong against the run. I didn't see much of a pass rush from Mebane, Hill or Rubin last year.

Some draft analysts said Reed had little to no promise as a pass rusher but I've also heard that Reed could play 1, 3, and 5 technique on the line. If that is true, I will be completely in love with this pick.

Latest posts