Rob Staton: I was wrong about Geno Smith

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
To be fair to Rob Geno looked bad last year, has bounced around the league and beaten out by guys at every stop and has never shown anything remotely close to this good. No one thought he would be anywhere near this successful at this point and that includes the coaching staff. Props to Rob for correcting it because almost no one does in any format whether its religion, politics, sports etc.

It's also still real early. Teams could adjust and Geno could go back to the old Geno. I'm enjoying it while it lasts and hoping for the best.
Many were wrong about him. Thankfully I wasn’t one of them. Anyone with eyes could always see and admire the arm he possesses. And Geno never had a chance to compete for the starting job he’s always been relegated as the backup for no other reason than the teams he’s been on have already had a starter. The Jets were a mess when they drafted him and still are regardless of their record.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The one thing I will say that Geno had working for him is the guy has always been talented. He was in the conversation to go #1 overall and fell but the talent was always there. He doesn't have Wilsons arm talent but its very good and he seems to do well in areas Russ struggles in. Can he come up big in high leverage moments? String together a few game winning drives or comeback wins? That has yet to be seen but I'm excited to find out.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
The one thing I will say that Geno had working for him is the guy has always been talented. He was in the conversation to go #1 overall and fell but the talent was always there. He doesn't have Wilsons arm talent but its very good and he seems to do well in areas Russ struggles in. Can he come up big in high leverage moments? String together a few game winning drives or comeback wins? That has yet to be seen but I'm excited to find out.
He’s averaged 40 points per game in the last 2 games and leads the number one offense in the league DVOA. Our defense is porous. I’m calling out Quandre Diggs for his lackluster year so far and absent in run support. Taylor also, tired of watching him get bullied on run D and needs to set the edge and contain better. He’s been really soft

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
You predicted all the signs were there to be a top 3 QB in the league? I have a hard time believing that but props if its true. I saw people thinking he could be good enough or serviceable but I think he's surprised all of us.
Yep, I think Maelstrom is now spiking his punch a tad on the heavy side. LOL

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yep, I think Maelstrom is now spiking his punch a tad on the heavy side. LOL
Naw, just posting a delicious crow feast being consumed by an influential guy whose word many take as gospel (for some reason).

I certainly didn't predict an MVP level start, regardless of Austin's rhetorical questions implying so

Ozzy

Reaction score
Naw, just posting a delicious crow feast being consumed by an influential guy whose word many take as gospel (for some reason).

I certainly didn't predict an MVP level start, regardless of Austin's rhetorical questions implying so
I’m just messing with you, seriously if you thought he was even going to be the starter then you should gloat a little. I didn’t see it coming

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score

See thats the problem many take his word to be gospel. The dude is totally lost most of the time he doesnt understand how the Seahawks work. Its almost like he just listens to Colin Coward and soly bases his opinions off of that. Clearly he has no vision of his own.the guy just pisses me off but not as much as Colin.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
But you keep arguing with me when I say no one expected this so while your words may differ your actions seem to say otherwise. No worries we just disagree on this and can move on. His success has been a surprise to me and to most people and I think its somewhat at least, warranted. If others sort of saw this coming like yourself then props to you. I didn't.
But thats the thing Carroll expected this... just that nobody listens to what he says. Thats just the truth. If you listen to Carrolls Pc's you will see that he is Very confident in Geno.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah I really don't think Pete thought Geno would be a top 5 QB and find that almost impossible to believe. I think Pete thought Geno could very well be good and run the offense in a year where he knew they were probably rebuilding. Pete always does Pete talk but if they truly thought Geno was this good then trading away Russ wouldn't have been so hard as reports are he was dead against it until the very end and finally caved.

Pete probably had more faith in Geno than I did or most fans but he didn't see this coming and that he was always as good as Allen, Mahomes, Prime Russ etc.

I'd also add its still very early. Geno could fall off a cliff here soon and it shouldn't shock anyone. I really hope he continues his play and I'm becoming a believer more and more each week. It will be interesting to see what happens when teams adjust to him and how he reacts to that.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The Rob hate is a little unfair. He is actually has a very good track record with the Seahawks and other prospects and how they've done. Look at the miss rate at the NFL. Hell look at Pete/Johns miss rate....I think its a little unfair to say Rob sucks because he hasn't guessed or gotten everything right. I can name a few examples where he was away ahead of the concensus. Lucas for example he was extremely high on and thought he should be a first rounder and so far he appears to be right as lucas has been a stud.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The Rob hate is a little unfair. He is actually has a very good track record with the Seahawks and other prospects and how they've done. Look at the miss rate at the NFL. Hell look at Pete/Johns miss rate....I think its a little unfair to say Rob sucks because he hasn't guessed or gotten everything right. I can name a few examples where he was away ahead of the concensus. Lucas for example he was extremely high on and thought he should be a first rounder and so far he appears to be right as lucas has been a stud.
He gets what he gets because of his general arrogance, which most old posters here presumably remember watching grow.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Staton had no choice but to back off his original claims on Pete/Wilson/Geno and change his stance. That's because receipts are out there for all to see, and the #1 Offensive DVOA in the NFL through 5 games made him finally address that. He's in turn switched gears to attack Pete on the defense now, even though he had already written the Seahawks off as a rebuilding team that will finish bottom 5 in the league. Pete Carroll is an easy target, it's easy to hate on Pete Carroll. Before the Superbowl run, Pete was a target then, lots of people were asking for his head. Some of you remember this. Staton is now a "hot take" guy that posts content for clicks and youtube superchats. "Certain forum posters" seem to take all their talking points from Staton, and basically copy/paste Staton's arguments. It's hilarious to see.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
I never understood this. He's a positivity guy, which I understand annoys some folks. But the hate for him, I dunno, I never got it.
and those same people that shit on pete carroll want to act like it was sunshine and rainbows before pete carroll arrived, and it will return to sunshine and rainbows when he's gone.

don't worry guys, pete's only got a year or two left, and when he's gone everything will return to normal!

Latest posts