Rice out for the Season.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
HawkFan72":rje9vdkx said:
Smelly McUgly":rje9vdkx said:
We cannot sustain another major injury at WR this year.

I am serious when I say that we should sign Chris Harper off of GB's practice squad soon. He has relative experience with our team and can be inactive until he comes up to speed, if need be.

That's a good thought and that would be a good spot to go if they need a WR.

Chris Harper was....really really bad though. Like bad. Sooner see if Stephen Williams is still on jax practice squad.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Wow! I just heard about this on Bob and Groz's show. Though I believe this was the last year we were going to see Rice anyway, this is not the way I wanted to see him go out. For whatever reason (in my opinion, it's been that ongoing knee issue), he's simply not been the same receiver we saw last year. Bottom line, he's not been a #1 receiver this season, as he's not given this team #1 receiver production at all.

How large does that Percy Harvin trade loom now? Here's to hoping that the Hawks can actually get him on the field this coming weekend.

THUGCAPS

Reaction score
Definitely need to sign a big WR. Would be nice to bring back Harper or Williams

canfan

Reaction score
HawkFan72":232re29d said:
Smelly McUgly":232re29d said:

I am serious when I say that we should sign Chris Harper off of GB's practice squad soon. He has relative experience with our team and can be inactive until he comes up to speed, if need be.

That's a good thought and that would be a good spot to go if they need a WR.

Chris Harper is on Green Bay's active roster, not the practice squad, unfortunately

w00t

Reaction score
THUGCAPS":166ex7pk said:
Definitely need to sign a big WR. Would be nice to bring back Harper or Williams

Harper is with GB and Williams is with the jags

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
This is a big loss. No matter what those dismissing this as an unfortunate way to see the inevitable happen, this was a big loss. Rice on the field automatically took the defense's best player out of play for the other receivers and opened them up to making plays. Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, the tight ends, all saw more production as a result of Rice being on the field of play. And Rice, if you'll remember, came up with some key plays that won games for us. Quite a few. They may not have been touchdowns all, but many were drive-sustaining catches on third down.

Hopefully we will see a smooth transition from Rice to Harvin, starting next week. Hopefully Harvin will provide a little more separation that Rice could not, and will start racking up the catches, yards, and touchdowns.

Count me as one who quietly considered Rice a definite salary cap casualty next year. If pressed, I'd have said early on he wouldn't be on the team next year. Now, it's hard to see otherwise, and it's a damned shame it had to happen the way it did. We may not have seen his production on the field translate to his own stats, but we now have a key hole to fill in an offense that needs no further holes.

drdiags

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1zy8oos7 said:

He is on their active 53-man roster. He was active in the game against the Vikings on SNF. Wears Matt Flynn's old number 10 I believe.

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
Very bad news.

Losing Tate for the season would have been worse though.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
drdiags":xsytq6mz said:
Smelly McUgly":xsytq6mz said:

He is on their active 53-man roster. He was active in the game against the Vikings on SNF. Wears Matt Flynn's old number 10 I believe.

Dang. Well, I'm sorry that we cut him and got rid of Stephen Williams, but hindsight makes my criticism easy for me to put forth.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I have been as disapointed in Rice as anyone but he usually draws the best cornerback and allows more room for the other receivers and I do think this can hurt us. If Kearse or someone can step up then who knows maybe this benefits us but as of now it worries me.

We NEED Harvin to take over and be a bigger factor than just complimenting the offense.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
kidhawk":1x2ekpxb said:
If you don't think it hurts us at all, then maybe you need to look closer. Rice may not always be getting the ball, but he's always getting attention from opposing defenses. This has a trickle down effect that we sorely missed after he left the game last night. Just having that threat on the field helped the other receivers. Was it worth his current salary? Not IMO, but it was definitely a positive for our offense. Losing him will definitely be a set back, at least until Harvin is ready.

On the bright side, Harvin may come back this week and just take the roster spot and we won't have to cut anyone loose to do it. Hopefully he is ready to go this week, we need all the help we can get in that department.

Agreed on every point. His presence was enough to have one of the other team's better corners cover him thus helps out our WR's.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I seriously doubt that Rice being out = Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, and Harvin being unable to get open. Seriously, it takes a playmaker with good hands from our offense but saying our other receivers won't get open now is just silly.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Our wideouts are just tiny now. Even with Rice we had troubles in the red zone because you can't really ever throw a jump ball to our WR's, and now you REALLY can't. Don't think this hurts us tooooo much in moving the ball between the 20's but it's nice to have him as a redzone target to draw attention at the very least

seabowl

Reaction score
Where are all the "we don't need Stephen Williams" posters now?

jblaze

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1ojxvfy5 said:
kidhawk":1ojxvfy5 said:
If you don't think it hurts us at all, then maybe you need to look closer. Rice may not always be getting the ball, but he's always getting attention from opposing defenses. This has a trickle down effect that we sorely missed after he left the game last night. Just having that threat on the field helped the other receivers. Was it worth his current salary? Not IMO, but it was definitely a positive for our offense. Losing him will definitely be a set back, at least until Harvin is ready.

On the bright side, Harvin may come back this week and just take the roster spot and we won't have to cut anyone loose to do it. Hopefully he is ready to go this week, we need all the help we can get in that department.

Agreed on every point. His presence was enough to have one of the other team's better corners cover him thus helps out our WR's.

While I agree with this sentiment, isn't there a problem when our #1 receiver's most redeeming quality is being a decoy?

This is true for everyone's #1 receivers, yet most still perform well.