Adams out for the season

Mizak

Reaction score
Got paid a big fat contract, re-injures shoulder, and gets to sit out the rest of the season? Must be nice for him.

K

K.J WRIGHT

chris98251":fy2f2x70 said:
AubHawk71":fy2f2x70 said:
The Pollyannas round here are laughable. No, no, it can still work!

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... rst-deals/

"On Wednesday Seahawks coach Pete Carroll was on SiriusXM radio with host Pat Kirwan. And during the interview, he said the Adams deal has been “a terrific trade for us.”

Only two things can explain this comment. The first is that Carroll was being polite. The second is that he was having a senior moment — and thought he was still coaching the Jets."

Perfect example of why the Pres conferences and interviews are exercises in blowing up balloons and not going to give a lot of Truth, seeing and reading the tea leaves of the team and player body language and reactions is a better gauge. Well unless you get Adams, Sherman and Bennett, Angry Doug types on the Microphone.

" Swung on and belted "

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":c59u6gyz said:
AubHawk71":c59u6gyz said:
The Pollyannas round here are laughable. No, no, it can still work!

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... rst-deals/

"On Wednesday Seahawks coach Pete Carroll was on SiriusXM radio with host Pat Kirwan. And during the interview, he said the Adams deal has been “a terrific trade for us.”

Only two things can explain this comment. The first is that Carroll was being polite. The second is that he was having a senior moment — and thought he was still coaching the Jets."

What, you think he's going to say "yeah we messed up, it's the worst trade in John and my tenure."

Pete being the eternal optimist in a press conference is not the truth, it's spin. Adams was rated lower than the Jets backup safety for coverage before he got hurt. Add in no sacks, never wrapping up tackles and making business decisions on the goallines not hitting RB's and WR's because he was mitigating the hits his shoulders were taking? Bust.

And that's just his on field play, add in salary, cap hit and draft picks lost?

Damn man, this trade was an unmitigated disaster.

Admitting you are wrong every once in a while, esp when it is glaringly obvious, shows more character than "I am always right."

flv

Reaction score
The $21M paid in 2021 is gone. Adams is due $14.4M in 2022 and $11M in 2023. Those numbers aren't fully guaranteed as of December 2021. I would have thought the Seahawks would have wanted him back at those numbers or that he would have some trade value if the Seahawks wanted to move on. If the Seahawks don't want him at those numbers and don't think he has trade value they could still cut him in early February 2022 before the 2022 money becomes fully guaranteed. They would only have that option if he was healthy. I hope that's not why he's having the surgery early. I also don't know what will happen to the NFL's overall cap number in 2022.

Again, I don't see him being over-priced or having no trade value. I hope he's fully healthy for 2022.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We need him back, and strong. He's a hell of a player, and yes they gave up too much. People should maybe try to get over it at some point?

AubHawk71

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3insvcdk said:
We need him back, and strong. He's a hell of a player, and yes they gave up too much. People should maybe try to get over it at some point?

Yeah, sure. What's tens of millions of dollars among friends? He basically won the lottery - not to say that he didn't work hard and perfect his craft - but now the Hawks get to pay him his pension? Oh well, whatcagonnado? It's only money.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3j2vfmo6 said:

Going to take awhile as the effects of that trade will linger for years to come.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3264673q said:

Correction, he WAS a hell of a player.

Hard hitting aggressive safeties with double labrum tears don't get better as they age and keep playing, they get worse.

I'll get over Adams when he's gone and I don't have to watch the Jets with our top 10 draft pick. Before that? Nah, think I'm gonna continue to be mad about it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. Dwell on it the next several years if that's what you need to do. It's not my money. They took a chance and gave up too much. Crap happens. If you think he's not going to contribute next year, that's your opinion. I think he comes back strong. And he's on the team and we are stuck with the guy. I'll go ahead and pull for the guy instead of blasting him 24/7. I swear people would rather he play sh**ty so they can justify their anger about him or the trade. As soon as that announcement came out, better run to the site and blast away.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'd rather he play even close to the monster contract they gave him. So far, it looks like the worst trade the franchise has ever made.

chris98251

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":6ia9n1hx said:
I'd rather he play even close to the monster contract they gave him. So far, it looks like the worst trade the franchise has ever made.

Nah there have been worse, he is playing at least or was, but the fact Pete says it was a fantastic trade still and we still have 3 years to show it kind of makes you want to punch a wall. I see more of a degradation going forward much like Bosworth with his shoulders, different reason but still once damaged and a place of impact it can happen again and not be as strong.

A-Dog

Reaction score
flv":1v6enk4z said:
The $21M paid in 2021 is gone. Adams is due $14.4M in 2022 and $11M in 2023. Those numbers aren't fully guaranteed as of December 2021. I would have thought the Seahawks would have wanted him back at those numbers or that he would have some trade value if the Seahawks wanted to move on. If the Seahawks don't want him at those numbers and don't think he has trade value they could still cut him in early February 2022 before the 2022 money becomes fully guaranteed. They would only have that option if he was healthy. I hope that's not why he's having the surgery early. I also don't know what will happen to the NFL's overall cap number in 2022.

Again, I don't see him being over-priced or having no trade value. I hope he's fully healthy for 2022.

Adams got a $20M signing bonus and a $1M 2021 salary, both fully guaranteed.

Adams also has an $12.44 option bonus that kicks in 5 days after the Superbowl, which is also when $2M of his 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed. Cutting him before then to void those guarantees isn't an option, because both of those guarantees are fully protected against injury and Adams is having season-ending surgery. This is not a Russell Wilson finger injury so there's no way Adams is going to pass a physical in the next two months.

Even if Adams wasn't injured, if he was cut before then to save cap the remaining $16M of his signing bonus would accelerate in to 2022 and become dead money, so cutting him would actually REDUCE cap space by roughly $7M for 2022 and the team has TON of needs in free agency.

So in reality, cutting or trading Adams doesn't become financially feasible until after the 2023 season:

Year | Dead Cap | Cap Savings if Cut
2022 | $28,440,000 | ($19,330,000)
2023 | $21,330,000 | ($3,220,000)
2024 | $14,220,000 | $9,390,000

Any conversation about cutting Adams can't realistically start until the 2024 offseason - when the team can save $9.4M in cap space by cutting him (albeit with $14.2M in dead money). At that point, assuming he's healthy, the question becomes "can we do better than a 29-year-old Jamal Adams for $9.4M?"

I recommend that people accept the fact that Adams is our player for the foreseeable future and direct their energy toward things other than wanting to cut or trade him.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":yxzitr3w said:
So we have 2-3 more years of looking forward to Adams being an injury riddled albatross around this defense's neck and soaking up 25% of it's cap.

Jamal Adams compensation as a % of the salary cap:

2021: 2.7%
2022: 4.1%
2023: 8.0%
2024: 9.2%

I know these facts make it harder for you to be angry at Adams but I just wanted to share the numbers so other people aren't misled by your hyperbolic rant.

A-Dog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3m8n3ngn said:
I swear people would rather he play sh**ty so they can justify their anger about him or the trade.
This is the really sad part.

Like, nobody mentioned at all how he saved a touchdown by breaking up the pass to Logan Thomas at the goal line after the pass rush gave WFT all time to throw. That was an amazing, potentially game-saving play. Full extension, perfectly timed diving pass breakup against a 6-6, 250 pound tight end. No mention of it at all, anywhere. Not even the announcers gave him credit.

Would be nice if folks could just let him play. It's like Adams has to have a perfect game just to earn the right to not be criticized by fans and media.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A-Dog":2w6yiks3 said:
Sgt. Largent":2w6yiks3 said:
So we have 2-3 more years of looking forward to Adams being an injury riddled albatross around this defense's neck and soaking up 25% of it's cap.

I know these facts make it harder for you to be angry at Adams but I just wanted to share the numbers so other people aren't misled by your hyperbolic rant.

Defensive cap:

2021 + 2022 (projected) defensive cap: $133,138,226
Adam's dead cap hits for 2021 + 2022: $47,770,000

Equals 35.55%, so sorry I was lowballing his cap cost.

ALWAYS use dead cap, it's what matters, not the fictitious maneuvering of salary, base and bonus.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm not arguing that it is looking like a bad trade. But to claim it's the worst in team history is laughable at best. He has been playing pretty damn well, especially the last month. Even when the guy make a huge play, people don't even acknowledge it. Worst trade in history? :roll:

A-Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2spo3s1v said:
A-Dog":2spo3s1v said:
Sgt. Largent":2spo3s1v said:

Defensive cap:

2021 + 2022 (projected) defensive cap: $133,138,226
Adam's dead cap hits for 2021 + 2022: $47,770,000

Equals 35.55%, so sorry I was lowballing his cap cost.

ALWAYS use dead cap, it's what matters, not the fictitious maneuvering of salary, base and bonus.

That's ridiculous. You're trying to re-define the salary cap to suit your agenda. That's BS.

Calculating things on your terms means any time a player signs a new deal with a big signing bonus they are "eating" a huge proportion of "cap space" as you've defined it. Signing bonuses are spread out over the life of the contract for a reason.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":6m3kfdrt said:
I'm not arguing that it is looking like a bad trade. But to claim it's the worst in team history is laughable at best. He has been playing pretty damn well, especially the last month. Even when the guy make a huge play, people don't even acknowledge it. Worst trade in history? :roll:

What trade was worse?

Two first rounders, one third and almost 50M guaranteed? Harvin, Graham, Branch?

Hell man, we haven't even scratched the surface of how bad this trade's gonna be. You think you hate it now, wait until Adam's misses 10 more games over the next two years.

btw, I loved the trade when it happened. So I'm not blaming Pete or John, I love a front office that swings for the fences. It's what fans want.

But own it and call it what it is. As of December 9th and Adam's goes on season ending IR yet again? Worst trade ever.

flv

Reaction score
A-Dog":10mra7pe said:
Adams got a $20M signing bonus and a $1M 2021 salary, both fully guaranteed.

Adams also has an $12.44 option bonus that kicks in 5 days after the Superbowl, which is also when $2M of his 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed. Cutting him before then to void those guarantees isn't an option, because both of those guarantees are fully protected against injury and Adams is having season-ending surgery. This is not a Russell Wilson finger injury so there's no way Adams is going to pass a physical in the next two months.

Even if Adams wasn't injured, if he was cut before then to save cap the remaining $16M of his signing bonus would accelerate in to 2022 and become dead money, so cutting him would actually REDUCE cap space by roughly $7M for 2022 and the team has TON of needs in free agency.

So in reality, cutting or trading Adams doesn't become financially feasible until after the 2023 season:

Year | Dead Cap | Cap Savings if Cut
2022 | $28,440,000 | ($19,330,000)
2023 | $21,330,000 | ($3,220,000)
2024 | $14,220,000 | $9,390,000

Any conversation about cutting Adams can't realistically start until the 2024 offseason - when the team can save $9.4M in cap space by cutting him (albeit with $14.2M in dead money). At that point, assuming he's healthy, the question becomes "can we do better than a 29-year-old Jamal Adams for $9.4M?"

I recommend that people accept the fact that Adams is our player for the foreseeable future and direct their energy toward things other than wanting to cut or trade him.
I was fully aware that the 2022 money was guaranteed against injury. That's why I said he would need to be healthy to make cutting or trading him an option.

Technically only $12M of dead cap would accelerate into the 2022 cap because $4M of it is already there. Yes, that would mean that there would be $7M less space in the 2022 cap, but it would also mean that $21.24M more cap space over the following 3 seasons plus the value of his post 2022 salaries. The important question would simply be is Adams going to be worth $14.24M in 2022? If no then he'll be gone regardless of the immediate cap hit - because that dead cap money is going to be accounted for at some point anyway. When doesn't make a big difference to the team because they can manipulate other cap figures to swap cap hits around to compensate.

If, (and i've already said I don't believe it'll be the case), Adams is healthy before the guarantee date AND the Seahawks don't want to keep him at $14.24M AND there's no zero trade interest THEN the Seahawks should cut bait and take the 2022 cap hit. A similar argument applies at the end of the 2022 season. The Seahawks do NOT have to wait until after 2023 for a cut/trade to be financially feasible. You are pushing a false narrative. The points you are making also applied to both Wilson and Wentz last season. The Seahawks could have traded Wilson. The Eagles did trade Wentz.

Latest posts