Adams out for the season

Jville

Reaction score
So ..... is there any interest in current events?

The Ryan Neal story is a good one.

He will start in place of Adams.

And then there is the intrigue of who will fill in for Neal as a nickle/dime back?

AubHawk71

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":nbvfdxfu said:
Fair enough. Dwell on it the next several years if that's what you need to do. It's not my money. They took a chance and gave up too much. Crap happens. If you think he's not going to contribute next year, that's your opinion. I think he comes back strong. And he's on the team and we are stuck with the guy. I'll go ahead and pull for the guy instead of blasting him 24/7. I swear people would rather he play sh**ty so they can justify their anger about him or the trade. As soon as that announcement came out, better run to the site and blast away.

Um, not several years, but yeah the brain trust in the front office gave away picks and money that will cause a hangover for two to three years. Thems facts, son.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":iy9c2wab said:
I'm not arguing that it is looking like a bad trade. But to claim it's the worst in team history is laughable at best. He has been playing pretty damn well, especially the last month. Even when the guy make a huge play, people don't even acknowledge it. Worst trade in history? :roll:

Eh, might not be the actual worst trade, but its up there. For what the organization gave up for him and the results is definitely not good. Lets face it, the defense has been atrocious since he's been here so they might as well have left well enough alone and saved the cash and draft picks. Regardless of how well he's played, he isnt enough of a difference maker to validate what they gave. It was a horrible deal all around.

chris98251

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":zeyr08xw said:
SoulfishHawk":zeyr08xw said:
I'm not arguing that it is looking like a bad trade. But to claim it's the worst in team history is laughable at best. He has been playing pretty damn well, especially the last month. Even when the guy make a huge play, people don't even acknowledge it. Worst trade in history? :roll:

Eh, might not be the actual worst trade, but its up there. For what the organization gave up for him and the results is definitely not good. Lets face it, the defense has been atrocious since he's been here so they might as well have left well enough alone and saved the cash and draft picks. Regardless of how well he's played, he isnt enough of a difference maker to validate what they gave. It was a horrible deal all around.

For what was given and what we have seen to date it isn't looking like a payoff trade, he will need to play most of all the upcoming seasons and be an all pro to justify the compensation in trades and salary.

You trade like that for a tilt the field player, but he has to play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2aqaerjy said:
Nope, Adams is the new whipping boy. First it was Russ, then it was DK, now it's Adams.

Joy

I don't blame Adams for Pete and John's mistake of giving up two 1st rounders and handing him a massive contract he was never going to live up to.

Adams seems like a good dude, he plays hard, and his teammates appear to like him. So nothing against him, but unfortunately in the context of a 4-8 team that desperately needs cap space and draft picks to rebuild over the next 2-3 years, he's now got a bullseye on him.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ghmww1t said:
For NOW it looks like an iffy trade. But I suspect he plays his a** off next year.

He'll be injured again next season at some point. Yeah that might sound callus, but its more likely than not. Two surgeries in the off season, another looming to the same shoulder now,,,,,its going to get worse before it gets better.

A-Dog

Reaction score
flv":oshnjvvg said:
If, (and i've already said I don't believe it'll be the case), Adams is healthy before the guarantee date AND the Seahawks don't want to keep him at $14.24M AND there's no zero trade interest THEN the Seahawks should cut bait and take the 2022 cap hit. A similar argument applies at the end of the 2022 season. The Seahawks do NOT have to wait until after 2023 for a cut/trade to be financially feasible. You are pushing a false narrative. The points you are making also applied to both Wilson and Wentz last season. The Seahawks could have traded Wilson. The Eagles did trade Wentz.

Okay, so we both believe that Adams' isn't going to be healthy before the guarantee date. I don't think that option merits further discussion - if by some miracle he is then it may be worth talking about.

I never said it was impossible to cut or trade Adams - but realistically does it help the team to do so? Is it fiscally responsible? I don't think I'm pushing a false narrative by emphasizing that eating $21-$28M in dead cap might be cost-prohibitive for a team with a lot of needs trying to remain competitive.

Philly decided to bit the bullet and eat $60M in dead cap in 2021. Their top 51 players cost $120M vs Seattle's top 51 at $152.5M. Seattle is 4-8. Can you imagine what their record would be if they had $32M less to spend this season?

The Hawks have a TON of needs going in to next year. If (still a big if) Adams is not healthy next season and at the same time Jody Allen decides to blow it all up and start over, sure, it might make sense to cut/trade him and bite the bullet for a season - however that option likely means losing seasons for 3 straight years, maybe four. If they want to remain competitive and Adams can play, it doesn't make much sense.

What I'm getting at is people have a lot of rage about the Adams situation and it seems to be channeled in to advocating cutting or trading Adams and this started well before the injury. I personally don't think that's a realistic option now or in the near future. I feel that fans would be better served by processing the fact that we made the trade, signed him to the contract, and he's our starting safety until he isn't. That's all been decided - can we all move on?

I sympathize with Adams because he came to Seattle full of positivity and excitement and when he signed the contract he said he finally felt like he was part of the family. The fans have largely rejected him because of what it cost to get him, and so he goes from thinking he'd finally found his tribe, to feeling unwanted and unfairly blamed for a poor season by the team. The knee-jerk toxicity in the fanbase is becoming unbearable to me as a fan, and I can't imagine what it feels like for the players.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Mizak":2dvde2wk said:
Got paid a big fat contract, re-injures shoulder, and gets to sit out the rest of the season? Must be nice for him.

This is what I'm talking about. Toxicity.

You think Adams wanted to injure his shoulder and sit out of the rest of the season? You think it must be nice that he "gets" to experience that?

Did you not read about how he wanted to go back in and they took his helmet away?

Did you forget about the multitude of injuries he battled through last year to stay on the field and help the team?

Do you not hear the players talking about how devastated he was when he got hurt?

You can complain about the trade, you can complain about the contract, hell, you can complain about his actual play on the field, but now you are attacking his character, professionalism, commitment, desire, and competitiveness. GTFO of here with that BS.

flv

Reaction score
A-Dog":3pwzr6vt said:
...I never said it was impossible to cut or trade Adams - but realistically does it help the team to do so? Is it fiscally responsible? I don't think I'm pushing a false narrative by emphasizing that eating $21-$28M in dead cap might be cost-prohibitive for a team with a lot of needs trying to remain competitive.

Philly decided to bit the bullet and eat $60M in dead cap in 2021. Their top 51 players cost $120M vs Seattle's top 51 at $152.5M. Seattle is 4-8. Can you imagine what their record would be if they had $32M less to spend this season?...
I don't have any issue with your 1st, 5th, or 6th paragraphs. The 4th paragraph is about how how to deal with a possible scenario and I don't want to get involved in that. I'm responding to your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs because that's where the problems are.

Teams aren't looking at the cap from a 1 year perspective. They're looking at the cap from a 3 year, (approx $620M), or 4 year, (approx $875M), perspective. The future cap hits for money already paid can't be avoided. It's simply a matter of when it is accounted for. Given how easy it is to bring future cap space forward the dead money hits aren't normally an issue. If the cap is growing then it's advantageous to push cap hits back. If you have a $10M cap hit when the cap is $100M and you can push that cap hit back until the cap is $120M you would do so. In a $120M cap environment that 10% cap hit would be worth $12M and you would effectively be gaining $2M in value by pushing the $10M cap hit back.

Not saying Adams is worth $10M but - the above is not enough to get you to make a bad decision just because there's a cap manipulation advantage. If a player with a non-guaranteed $14.44M contract is only worth $10M to you you get rid of him, even if it brings forward $12M of dead money. When the team accounts for $12M hit during a 3 year, (approx $620M), or 4 year, (approx $875M), period is not particularly important or hurtful. If the $14.44M player is worth $13.2M to the team then it's a different discussion where other factors come into play.

The $21-$28M numbers you've posted are a completely false narrative. At worst there's an acceleration of a $12M cap hit which opens up $12M of future cap space. That ignores the cost of keeping a $14.44M player that is only worth $10M to the team. It's a waste because the team could spend that $14.44M on a player, (or group of players), who were worth at least $14.44M. The team could move the same proportion of the new cap back and the team would be $4.44M better off in player talent.

The $60M of dead cap and imagining having $32M less in cap are also a false narrative. Teams have had the success they've enjoyed over the last 5-10 years because they've overspent the money they've effectively borrowed from future years' caps. The debt has to be accounted for. The Seahawks are 4-8 despite having brought forward more than $50M of future cap space. A lot of teams are in a similar cap debt position.

Seak

Reaction score
Honestly, I dont think its such a bad thing if Adams is out for the season.
The trade hasn't worked out as much as people hoped / expected , especially with what the Seahawks gave up to get him.

I'd rather have him try to get this shoulder BS sorted out early now and hope next year will be good for him

If he gets injured next season for any length of time or even at a key point in the season, then we can get legit angry at the trade.

IMO he still has time to redeem himself

Jville

Reaction score
My nomination for Tweet of the Day ............................................. [tweet]https://twitter.com/Prez/status/1469460144522211331[/tweet]...................................... a resilient response.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I saw an interesting tidbit this morning. As a Seahawk, Jamal Adams has had more surgeries (3) than he has interceptions (2).

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":e35dzc2a said:
What a horrible take.

Not trying to be ugly about it Soul, it’s just this is 2 years in a row he’s been hurt. Chances are that it’ll happen again. It’s like Carson,,,it’s not if he’ll get hurt, it’s when.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1zwoijmp said:
What a horrible take.

Not trying to be ugly about it Soul, it’s just this is 2 years in a row he’s been hurt. Chances are that it’ll happen again. It’s like Carson,,,it’s not if he’ll get hurt, it’s when.

Latest posts