Adams out for the season

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
It might end up a net gain except from a monetary standpoint. He's a classic tweener and plays like one. Not quite a LB and not a prototypical SS . He's somewhere in between the two and imo he's not a good fit for this defense.

A-Dog

Reaction score
flv":trnp75de said:
Teams aren't looking at the cap from a 1 year perspective. They're looking at the cap from a 3 year, (approx $620M), or 4 year, (approx $875M), perspective. The future cap hits for money already paid can't be avoided. It's simply a matter of when it is accounted for. Given how easy it is to bring future cap space forward the dead money hits aren't normally an issue. If the cap is growing then it's advantageous to push cap hits back. If you have a $10M cap hit when the cap is $100M and you can push that cap hit back until the cap is $120M you would do so. In a $120M cap environment that 10% cap hit would be worth $12M and you would effectively be gaining $2M in value by pushing the $10M cap hit back.

Eventually it comes time to pay the Piper. I may be over-emphasizing the effects of dead cap in the short term, but consider that you might be under-emphasizing its effects in the long term.

The Seahawks didn't really start adding void years in to contracts until this past year. Why? Because the cap was so low due to the Covid year. Generally speaking the Seahawks aren't one of the teams that like to keep kicking the can down the road. Historically they take a much more conservative and measured approach to managing the cap so that they can stay consistently competitive.

And it's not as easy to bring future cap space forward as you might think. We could have converted Wilson's 2021 salary in to a signing bonus - Russ even came out and said he would do it. So why didn't they? My guess is they wanted to keep some flexibility for the 2022 offseason.

If they had restructured Russ (or done something similar with Bobby or some other high-paid player), maybe we wouldn't have started the season with an injured Ethan Pocic backing up an unproven Kyle Fuller at Center. If they had, maybe we wouldn't have started the season with Trey Flowers and Akhello Witherspoon as our starting corners. If it was so easy to bring future cap space forward than Jarran Reed would still be playing for us.

keasley45

Reaction score
A-Dog":1c07xzq7 said:
flv":1c07xzq7 said:
If, (and i've already said I don't believe it'll be the case), Adams is healthy before the guarantee date AND the Seahawks don't want to keep him at $14.24M AND there's no zero trade interest THEN the Seahawks should cut bait and take the 2022 cap hit. A similar argument applies at the end of the 2022 season. The Seahawks do NOT have to wait until after 2023 for a cut/trade to be financially feasible. You are pushing a false narrative. The points you are making also applied to both Wilson and Wentz last season. The Seahawks could have traded Wilson. The Eagles did trade Wentz.

Okay, so we both believe that Adams' isn't going to be healthy before the guarantee date. I don't think that option merits further discussion - if by some miracle he is then it may be worth talking about.

I never said it was impossible to cut or trade Adams - but realistically does it help the team to do so? Is it fiscally responsible? I don't think I'm pushing a false narrative by emphasizing that eating $21-$28M in dead cap might be cost-prohibitive for a team with a lot of needs trying to remain competitive.

Philly decided to bit the bullet and eat $60M in dead cap in 2021. Their top 51 players cost $120M vs Seattle's top 51 at $152.5M. Seattle is 4-8. Can you imagine what their record would be if they had $32M less to spend this season?

The Hawks have a TON of needs going in to next year. If (still a big if) Adams is not healthy next season and at the same time Jody Allen decides to blow it all up and start over, sure, it might make sense to cut/trade him and bite the bullet for a season - however that option likely means losing seasons for 3 straight years, maybe four. If they want to remain competitive and Adams can play, it doesn't make much sense.

What I'm getting at is people have a lot of rage about the Adams situation and it seems to be channeled in to advocating cutting or trading Adams and this started well before the injury. I personally don't think that's a realistic option now or in the near future. I feel that fans would be better served by processing the fact that we made the trade, signed him to the contract, and he's our starting safety until he isn't. That's all been decided - can we all move on?

I sympathize with Adams because he came to Seattle full of positivity and excitement and when he signed the contract he said he finally felt like he was part of the family. The fans have largely rejected him because of what it cost to get him, and so he goes from thinking he'd finally found his tribe, to feeling unwanted and unfairly blamed for a poor season by the team. The knee-jerk toxicity in the fanbase is becoming unbearable to me as a fan, and I can't imagine what it feels like for the players.

Great post.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Dallashawksfan":3hth74ck said:
The Hawks gave up 2 1st rounders for a guy that is worth a 2nd

Gave up enough trade value FOR A QB, and now people aren't sure if we could get equal value trading Russ... PC is insane, and needs to go like LAST YEAR..

nwHawk

Reaction score
That’s what happens when you feel like the QB is elite and you feel like you are a piece away on defense from a Championship. Adams added to a team that went 12-4. He wasn’t perfect. But 12 wins sounds real nice right now!

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
The scheme went away from everything that Adams did the year before. Did zero favors. Should be running him as cash type hybrid DB/LB with Neal in the saftey role during.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk