Receivers: not a luxury in FA

pehawk

Reaction score
Any of us would've been laughed out of the room if we said Bill Bellicheck would be winning by throwing the ball, in 2000.

You roll with your best players, period.

Jville

Reaction score
pehawk":3npfc1mx said:
Jville":3npfc1mx said:
The defense wants the football. They want it to take the ball away thru turn over or force 3 and outs. This team is about controling the football and the clock.

Hmmm...and what did Wilson have to prove in order to get the offense opened up a bit more...converting 3rd downs and sustaining drives. This regime now has a QB who can kill clock and control the football, maybe better than anyone in the league, by throwing it.

It was about the players.

It's about fit. It was about finding the right fit for this team in Russell Wilson.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Jville":3e15kk6a said:
pehawk":3e15kk6a said:
Jville":3e15kk6a said:
The defense wants the football. They want it to take the ball away thru turn over or force 3 and outs. This team is about controling the football and the clock.

Hmmm...and what did Wilson have to prove in order to get the offense opened up a bit more...converting 3rd downs and sustaining drives. This regime now has a QB who can kill clock and control the football, maybe better than anyone in the league, by throwing it.

It was about the players.

It's about fit. It was about finding the right fit for this team in Russell Wilson.

That might have been what PC and JS thought, originally.

But they've now found a QB who is a lot more than just a fit. Not saying it has to happen this year (although I think we'll see some movement that direction), but RW's role needs to grow as he improves. Even Pittsburgh has done it with Big Ben.

It's not a case of "square peg, round hole" but "round hole, much much bigger round peg".

pehawk

Reaction score
Holmgren had to ride SA. Bill had to ride Brady. Good call Kyle, Pitt had to ride Ben.

The Hawks will begin to transitioning the team to be more Wilson than Lynch.

Sac

Reaction score
I believe what was said was "throw to score and run to win". That being said I don't see this team abandoning balance. I can see us throwing more frequently for sure, but a strong running attack is going to be in play as well to keep opposing defenses honest and close out games in the second half.

I see us blowing out a lot of teams early in games and then grinding them to dust late.

The AFC South in particular won't have any fun playing against us.

gmor

Reaction score
Jville":2hww0vls said:
MontanaHawk05":2hww0vls said:
PC and JS believe in the run, and they're going to do everything they can to ensure that we stay a run-based offense. That aspect isn't changing, hopefully.

That said, Wilson constantly being forced to scramble last year highlighted (amongst other things) how our current WR's don't always get good separation. That, combined with the fact that we have only three of them anyway, makes WR pretty much a necessity. Not on the level of DT/DE, but a necessity nonetheless.

All True ...... and it doesn't mandate a $10 million dollar man as the only option.

Rice & Miller have a lot of money tied up. It would make sense to start considering their eventual replacements as well as taking care of some depth issues. Picking someone up early in the draft would be my preference.l

Bipolar

Reaction score
pehawk":1fistnp1 said:
A WR will be added and MUST. Too many times Wilson bought time in the pocket to have nothing open down field...they couldn't have forseen that type of situation before landing Wilson. WR's more matching his skillset is a MUST.

even more often, Wilson decided to scramble vs staying in the pocket and throwing to WIDE OPEN receivers... I've seen way too many plays were Sindey was 2 steps ahead of corners and super frustrated he didn't get the ball.

Best case is to flip Rice for a Wallace, somehow, someway. Second best is pick up an Tavon/Bush (in NO)/Harvinesque type flanker/RB/waterbug type.

now that I can agree with ;).

ihawk

Reaction score
This is the year to add a solid WR. FA and draft are both deep with talented guys. Conversely, this is not the year to be desperate for a QB. See the difference?

Basis4day

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3pakg1kn said:
I believe what was said was "throw to score and run to win". That being said I don't see this team abandoning balance. I can see us throwing more frequently for sure, but a strong running attack is going to be in play as well to keep opposing defenses honest and close out games in the second half.

I see us blowing out a lot of teams early in games and then grinding them to dust late.

The AFC South in particular won't have any fun playing against us.

It was, "run to win, throw to score". I think the order is important because it implies we're still going to be an offense that runs first. Part of what we do is beat up teams in the first half with Lynch runs, then take advantage of fatigue and take over in the 2nd. Lynch is also a beast as a checkdown option (Which would count as passes, but still feels close to a running play to me).

I expect we'll come out with a similar scheme as the second half of last season while we see what we have in any new offensive weapons.

I'd like to see some stat breakdowns on the number of pass vs run plays in the Red zone as opposed to outside the redzone. I seem to remember a much higher % of passing plays in the Red Zone which would exemplify the "throw to score" philosophy (With a lot of Lynch in goal line specific situations).

Schadie001

Reaction score
I think we are solid at WR with Rice, Tate, and Baldwin. We could use another TE to go with miller.

But the focus should be on getting the D fixed. Our O put us in the position to win and our D lost it for us. Pass rush is the #1 priority, replacing Hill would be in my opinion #2.

WR's are a dime a dozen.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Jville":1mhr38cj said:
pehawk":1mhr38cj said:
MontanaHawk05":1mhr38cj said:
PC and JS believe in the run, and they're going to do everything they can to ensure that we stay a run-based offense.

Two years ago you said similar, but it was because JS and PC didn't understand the QB position or passing attacks (paraphrasing). This regime WILL pass more, get used to a shock, hermano.

I don't believe that at all. I believe they fully understand the QB position. And, I don't believe they are going to throw away what Cable has built and start over.

Guys, PC doesn't want a pass heavy offense nor a run heavy offense. He wants a "balanced attack." Or as close to that as possible. Because that is the type of offense that makes a team unpredictable and near impossible to stop-- when you do BOTH things well.

I suspect we'll see 30+ passes a game next year to go along with 30+ runs a game. I agree with the above posters, we need more depth at WR. Rice, Tate, and Baldwin are our only locks this coming year. It should be interesting to see if the undrafted free agents from last year can hang on or if we can draft a few players to take their spots.

Hawks46

Reaction score
For not understanding the QB position, I think the FO did a hell of a job finding one, developing him, starting him over a higher priced FA, and getting a top 10 QB in his first year.

I agree in that our WR's don't always get separation, or win 1 on 1 matchups (or create mismatches) near enough. We also have poor depth; Rice was very durable this year after taking a lot of big hits...he's proven his durability to me...but Baldwin is fragile. It's probably we lose one of them for some time next year, quite possible to lose both concurrently. That could really hurt us, more than most teams. We'll be drafting a WR, I have no doubt of that.

Tate and Baldwin don't really need a ton of separation; they fight for the ball very well. Rice needs to be open more than the other 2. It's too bad Mike Williams didn't work out; I could see Wilson gaining some chemistry with BMW and throwing up a lot of jump balls while on the run to him.

pehawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2ftx1m3a said:
pehawk":2ftx1m3a said:
Also, the defense is being built to play with a lead.

Let's hope that it is better than what we showed in Atlanta! :roll:

What does this post even mean?